Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Randolph, Coleman, Duffy, Egan, Stevens, McCarthy, Byrne, Hourihane, Robinson, McGoldrick, Connolly would be my Starting XI from that squad. Doubt he’ll throw Byrne into such an important game though.

You'd go for Byrne over Hendrick? Thought he had been doing well with the recent change to Newcastle.

Agree with the front three for sure. Robinson and Connolly on a high after recent goals and Didzy captain for his club.

Def Coleman back in too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Molumby subbed on 81 minutes. Thought he did well despite the scoreline. This moment was a highlight:

https://twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/1311398281025650699

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Molumby subbed on 81 minutes. Thought he did well despite the scoreline. This moment was a highlight:

https://twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/1311398281025650699

Very poor second touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Deji Sotona gone to Nice from Man Utd. Born in Waterford. Represented Ireland up to u16. Eligible for Nigeria and England also

"In September of last year he was revealed as the fastest player at Manchester United by logging a top speed of 22.9mph, which was 1.2mph quicker than the second-fastest player, Diogo Dalot."

https://www.the42.ie/ayodeji-sotona-to-nice-5219211-Sep2020/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

You'd go for Byrne over Hendrick? Thought he had been doing well with the recent change to Newcastle.

Agree with the front three for sure. Robinson and Connolly on a high after recent goals and Didzy captain for his club.

Def Coleman back in too.

Hendrick is allergic to playing killer passes. Still living off Euro 2016. Same with Brady. A nothing player, Bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Hendrick is allergic to playing killer passes. Still living off Euro 2016. Same with Brady. A nothing player, Bill.

Given how anonymous our midfield does be, he'd have to give away a goal and/or get sent off to make himself look poor. If he just trotted around, didn't really look for the ball and just passed it for the sake of passing it then he'd fit in well with the others in midfield. Instead, he might actually be our only midfielder who'll really look for the ball and willing to carry it rather pass it away straight away.

Hourihane was instrumental in Villa staying up and contributed a goal and an assist at the weekend, but come match night against Slovakia and it's gonna be like he's playing a work night five a side, literally just going through the motions. Hourihane gets in because of his set pieces, something I don't think is mentioned much when talking about Byrne as he's also got a good set piece delivery.

Hendrick is another lad that goes through the motions when he puts on the green shirt and imo McCarthy needs to be playing in a midfield two like at Palace or a double pivot if it's a midfield trio.

Kenny not selecting him for last month's games because he wasn't going to be playing with a number ten was a weak reason when you think Brady played in midfield and Byrne would at least put more effort in moving around the pitch than Hourihane, as would Cullen who didn't get selected or Browne who sat on the bench for both games.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Hendrick is allergic to playing killer passes. Still living off Euro 2016.

He has moments were he puts in a good tackle, has a good touch or a good run down the wing, but I've thought for the past few years his end product is generally poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Given how anonymous our midfield does be, he'd have to give away a goal and/or get sent off to make himself look poor. If he just trotted around, didn't really look for the ball and just passed it for the sake of passing it then he'd fit in well with the others in midfield. Instead, he might actually be our only midfielder who'll really look for the ball and willing to carry it rather pass it away straight away.

Hourihane was instrumental in Villa staying up and contributed a goal and an assist at the weekend, but come match night against Slovakia and it's gonna be like he's playing a work night five a side, literally just going through the motions. Hourihane gets in because of his set pieces, something I don't think is mentioned much when talking about Byrne as he's also got a good set piece delivery.

Hendrick is another lad that goes through the motions when he puts on the green shirt and imo McCarthy needs to be playing in a midfield two like at Palace or a double pivot if it's a midfield trio.

Kenny not selecting him for last month's games because he wasn't going to be playing with a number ten was a weak reason when you think Brady played in midfield and Byrne would at least put more effort in moving around the pitch than Hourihane, as would Cullen who didn't get selected or Browne who sat on the bench for both games.

Hopefully it's a case of Kenny not wanting to turf all the regular starters out in one go, instead giving them the opportunity to possibly show they'll do a bit more than just go through the motions. Unfortunately nothing I saw from Hendrick last month suggested he'll be any different than he has Ben for the previous 3.5 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Poor for Ireland yet a near constant presence every week in the EPL for the last four seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

noodler wrote: »
    Poor for Ireland yet a near constant presence every week in the EPL for the last four seasons.

Yeh. I reckon he'd do well in the LOI with dundalk or rovers.

Context is needed.

Hendrick along with most of our squad have looked poor under McCarthy and Mon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

noodler wrote: »

Similar to McCarthy really. I cant remember a great game he has had in the green. I know his career dropped for a while but he was doing well with Everton and seems to have picked up with Palace.
    Hopefully Kenny can make a difference. There was a time where we had a lot of players that actually played out of their skin for Ireland, while being average week over week with their clubs. Seems like the opposite for a lot of guys in recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Similar to McCarthy really. I cant remember a great game he has had in the green. I know his career dropped for a while but he was doing well with Everton and seems to have picked up with Palace.
    Hopefully Kenny can make a difference. There was a time where we had a lot of players that actually played out of their skin for Ireland, while being average week over week with their clubs. Seems like the opposite for a lot of guys in recent years.

Kenny will get his sideways and backwards passing stats up a lot, that's about it.

At least McCarthy has an injury excuse.

I don't rate Hendrick for Ireland but I do wonder if I should watch him live for the club to see why Dyke and Bruce see in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Kenny will get his sideways and backwards passing stats up a lot, that's about it.

Are you from Cork by any chance?

Hopefully for Dundalk the Uefa Cup will be run on a home and away basis and they get 6 decent games. I heard though that it will more than likely be done on a round robin basis though so play each team once.

All the talk about Jack Byrne I think this give the likes of Duffy a chance pushing for international recognition. A really good player I feel and could improve things if given a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Hopefully for Dundalk the Uefa Cup will be run on a home and away basis and they get 6 decent games. I heard though that it will more than likely be done on a round robin basis though so play each team once.

All the talk about Jack Byrne I think this give the likes of Duffy a chance pushing for international recognition. A really good player I feel and could improve things if given a chance.

'Mon the Noughties

TheCitizen wrote: »
    'Mon the Noughties

Why they had to change it I'll never know.

Can't beat the days of the Cup Winners Cup, Uefa Cup and Champion League.

Remember the Cup Winners Cup? Or was that just in Sensible Soccer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Why they had to change it I'll never know.

Can't beat the days of the Cup Winners Cup, Uefa Cup and Champion League.

Remember the Cup Winners Cup? Or was that just in Sensible Soccer?

Was it uefa cup on Tuesday, champs league Wednesday and cup winners cup on Thursday?

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1311976721017528320

Not sure what the Italian squad is like, but this game was always gonna be tough and even tougher now with Parrott, Idah and Molumby missing.

sugarman wrote: »
    This is why Byrne has to be in Ireland squads. What other player do we have that can deliver these kind of passes? The vision and the execution is inch perfect. Doesnt matter where or who you play for, its top class.

EDIT: Just went off injured :(

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1312115390701428736

Did it look a bad injury?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Troy Parrot out for up to six weeks, massive blow for Jim Crawford and the U21s for next month's game against Italy.

Yeah, ankle ligament injury. It's such a pity, was really looking forward to see how he developed with Millwall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Dundalk should probably make an offer for Byrne.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Dundalk should probably make an offer for Byrne.

Why would he leave Rovers for Dundalk? Just to play Europa League games if it?

Wouldn't even be able to, LOI transfer windows been closed since July and isn't open again until December.

He could go to England or elsewhere before Monday I take it? Rovers have the league more or less won has he been linked with a move?

Knight has been class. He just latched onto a poor pass from Idah in his own half there and ran the length of the pitch before being taken out on the edge of the penalty area. Rooney then scored the subsequent free kick.

Only 19 as well. Really think we’re on the cusp of a very exciting few years. He’ll surely break into the senior squad soon. Gone be the days where the youngest players in our squad are 25, 26 years of age.

Between him and Molumby we could have a midfield partnership sorted for the next 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Why would he leave Rovers for Dundalk? Just to play Europa League games if it?

If they offered him more money.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus nerves building up for Thursdays game

If only we played with a bit of balls last year this would of been avoidable.

Co hosting and we won't be there

kowloonkev wrote: »
    If they offered him more money.

Don't think Dundalk fancy spending their European winnings to buy one player.

Cocu very positive about Knight:

https://twitter.com/football_ie/status/1312391913853648902

Coleman playing very well for Everton so far too.

Cocu very positive about Knight:

https://twitter.com/football_ie/status/1312391913853648902

Coleman playing very well for Everton so far too.

Great to see Knight getting praised. Hopefully Derby keep playing him centrally and don't shift him out wide again.

• Advertisement

That's a sickener. He was in such good form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Disaster for Coleman , has been brilliant this season so far

Hopefully it’s just a precaution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Bollix anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

balls

Wrap Doherty up in cotton wool

That’s a big loss. The last thing we needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Positive note Connolly looked lively (ironically he was cause of coleman injury)

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Literally the worst player to be unavailable. He’d have started & captained but even if he wasn’t his influence would have been immense in the dressing room. Don’t suppose there’s any chance Everton will let him travel? Normal circumstances definitely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Nunu wrote: »
    Literally the worst player to be unavailable. He’d have started & captained but even if he wasn’t his influence would have been immense in the dressing room. Don’t suppose there’s any chance Everton will let him travel? Normal circumstances definitely not.

Il be shocked if Coleman doesn’t do everything he can to be there , even if unavailable

2 defenders out. Possibly draft O’Shea in?

• Advertisement

Very good point. Forgot about Long.

pjohnson wrote: »
    More likely to just pick Ronan so.

On the bench for Grasshopper this evening. There currently 1-0 up at HT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

This is why Byrne has to be in Ireland squads. What other player do we have that can deliver these kind of passes? The vision and the execution is inch perfect. Doesnt matter where or who you play for, its top class.

I didn't see anything special about that pass-just poor defending.
    Only 19 as well. Really think we’re on the cusp of a very exciting few years. .

Exciting few years in what way? Because we have a bloke starting for Derby?

Look lads, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Slovakia will give us a lesson. Old man Hamsik-who should be in a home at this stage- will run the show against our donkeys.

3-0 Slovakia.

It's all the better as they won't be bringing home the Euro trophy next year anyway-just more Covid-19.

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    I didn't see anything special about that pass-just poor defending.

Exciting few years in what way? Because we have a bloke starting for Derby?

Look lads, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Slovakia will give us a lesson. Old man Hamsik-who should be in a home at this stage- will run the show against our donkeys.

3-0 Slovakia.

It's all the better as they won't be bringing home the Euro trophy next year anyway-just more Covid-19.

I’d hate to live with your state of mind if you can’t be excited about young Irish lads making a breakthrough.

Good move for Cullen if he gets it. He can play ball when he wants and would assume the Belgian league would be more technical than physical.

So Kevin Long replaces Lenihan in the squad, Coleman as good as ruled out after his scan but no replacement named. FAI still waiting for Arters scan as he's a possible doubt and Jack Byrne should be fit.

Good move for Cullen if he gets it. He can play ball when he wants and would assume the Belgian league would be more technical than physical.

So Kevin Long replaces Lenihan in the squad, Coleman as good as ruled out after his scan but no replacement named. FAI still waiting for Arters scan as he's a possible doubt and Jack Byrne should be fit.

• Advertisement

Doherty dropped for Spurs already. Very worrying, hope it doesn’t affect his confidence for Thursday.

McGoldrick scores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Mc Goldrick scores for SU,and they are wearing GREEN

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Goal for Maguire today as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I thought Doherty would have held on ahead of Aurier a bit longer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement