Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Hendrick, Hourihane and Robinson

I forgot about Hendrick , he is nailed on

So really only unknow is the 3rd midfielder and 3rd forward,
    But probably the two you mentioned above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I'd say he'll go with

Randolph
    Doherty Duffy Egan Stevens
    Hendrick McCarthy Hourihane
    Robinson McGoldrick Connolly

Shane Long, McClean, Arter the options.

What about Jack? Did you not see his pass and goal against Dundalks second string the other night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

What about Jack? Did you not see his pass and goal against Dundalks second string the other night?

Probably come on with 5 to go and set up our consolation goal for McClean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Christie starting centre mid should be a cert

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

NewMan1982 wrote: »

He definitely will now that Doherty is starting at RB and needs Cyrus there to protect him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'd say he'll go with

Randolph
    Doherty Duffy Egan Stevens
    Hendrick McCarthy Hourihane
    Robinson McGoldrick Connolly

Shane Long, McClean, Arter the options.

I'd be surprised if that isn't the starting team. I'd say Brady and Arter (possibly O'Dowda too) are the main players outside of that in contention for a starting spot. I would love to see Jack Byrne start and the closer the game gets the more I feel like it could be worth starting him but I'd be very surprised if Kenny went with him from the beginning.

Not feeling particularly confident going into this though. We would have to produce probably our best performance in three years or so if we are to go out and win. Maybe we could scrape a draw and win on pens but jesus I don't think I could handle that, last penalty shootout we were involved in was Spain in 02 was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I'd take him over Hourihane anyway. He'll at least show some enthusiasm out on the pitch.

I'd be surprised if that isn't the starting team. I'd say Brady and Arter (possibly O'Dowda too) are the main players outside of that in contention for a starting spot. I would love to see Jack Byrne start and the closer the game gets the more I feel like it could be worth starting him but I'd be very surprised if Kenny went with him from the beginning.

Not feeling particularly confident going into this though. We would have to produce probably our best performance in three years or so if we are to go out and win. Maybe we could scrape a draw and win on pens but jesus I don't think I could handle that, last penalty shootout we were involved in was Spain in 02 was it?

I would have went with Arter over Hourihane, but Arter was a late doubt with a knock.

I do actually think that will be the team. My worry is the lack of creativity in midfield. Really think Byrne has to be a consideration as there is nobody else in the squad that can pick out a pass look he can.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

On paper we should be able to match and beat Slovakia. Dispense with the going out of our way playing out from the back for now try a pragmatic approach and we should be able to win. It’s Slovakia not Brazil 1970

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Has there been word yet on whether Stanislav Lobotka has been able to meetup with the squad or is he still trapped in the Naples quarantine? Thought i saw there was a doubt about him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Which player caught covid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

theballz wrote: »
    Which player caught covid?

Wha?

sugarman wrote: »
    Josh Cullen has been called up to replace Harry Arter.

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1313554002345373697

Nice to see Cullen not being forgotten about. Unlikely he'll see time on the pitch but at least SK has him in his thoughts.

Arter could be a big loss but its up to Cullen to take the chance now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Arter could be a big loss

Big loss to your fifa team or something

Chaps never had a good game for Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Chris Houghton takes over at forest, good appointment for all

Wuff Wuff wrote: »

What other options do we have off the bench?

That's not true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Walcott going back to Southampton is a total bummer for Obafemi. Hopefully he gets a loan move to a championship side before the 16th where he can play week in week out.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Walcott going back to Southampton is a total bummer for Obafemi. Hopefully he gets a loan move to a championship side before the 16th where he can play week in week out.

I think we need to stop hoping that our young player get Championshio moves. We need to start hoping they get regular PL football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

What other options do we have off the bench?

I know people rave about how good jack byrne is but I wonder should chris shields be given a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think we need to stop hoping that our young player get Championshio moves. We need to start hoping they get regular PL football.

Sure we can hope away, but that's not only exception to the rule for Irish strikers, it's the rare exception for any strikers at that age.

At his age for a striker (20) it's entirely normal that your loan move would be to the championship, as it was with Rhian Brewster, and Harry Kane, and Tammy Abraham, and Eddie Nketiah, and Harvey Barnes, and countless others that were all playing championship football (or lower) at 20.

Connolly is one of the very rare exceptions of a player getting regular starts up front in the Premier League at that sort of age. Him and Greenwood are actually pretty much the only ones in the league at 20 or under... maybe Brewster if he starts getting a few games after his move to Sheffield Utd.

So yeah, I think we should be hoping for Obafemi to get a loan move to a good championship club to play regularly.

Jack Byrne gets mention so much because he's pretty much our only midfielder with an ounce of creativity who's still young, promising and has a future in the game.

Shields on the other hand is about to turn 30 and will most likely never play at a higher level than Dundalk/LOI. Hes also a defensive midfielder, a position we've heaps of cover in. All of who play at much higher level and all of who are younger than him too.

If he was several years younger and/or in a position of higher demand then maybe.

maybe if he plays well in the europa league games. im not sure we have replaced glenn whelan to be honest, chris could do that job I reckon.

Jack Byrne gets mention so much because he's pretty much our only midfielder with an ounce of creativity who's still young, promising and has a future in the game.

Shields on the other hand is about to turn 30 and will most likely never play at a higher level than Dundalk/LOI. Hes also a defensive midfielder, a position we've heaps of cover in. All of who play at much higher level and all of who are younger than him too.

If he was several years younger and/or in a position of higher demand then maybe.

Jack is 24. he'll be 25 by the end of the season. He has failed in the lower leagues of England and SPL so far. Let's not be building him up to be the panacea for our creative ills. We could be hugely disappointed. I do agree he deserves to be in the squad but he needs to prove himself on a bigger stage than the LOI.

I'd be more hopeful this week that Hourihane can provide decent deliveries from set pieces than Jack coming on and splitting defences with passes.

Jack is 24. he'll be 25 by the end of the season. He has failed in the lower leagues of England and SPL so far. Let's not be building him up to be the panacea for our creative ills. We could be hugely disappointed. I do agree he deserves to be in the squad but he needs to prove himself on a bigger stage than the LOI.

I'd be more hopeful this week that Hourihane can provide decent deliveries from set pieces than Jack coming on and splitting defences with passes.

He did it against AC milan. its not just LOI teams he can play well against, he played really well in Europe last year as well.

The league of Ireland isn’t a high enough standard to be picking players from and expecting them to compete.

I’m all for giving jack Byrne a chance but as others have said he’s failed at higher levels so don’t expect too much from him.

If he wants to play for Ireland regularly he needs to be playing at a higher level.

Seems like he’s another one who blew it.

The league of Ireland isn’t a high enough standard to be picking players from and expecting them to compete.

I’m all for giving jack Byrne a chance but as others have said he’s failed at higher levels so don’t expect too much from him.

If he wants to play for Ireland regularly he needs to be playing at a higher level.

:confused: he is only 24 and has been called in to the Ireland team a few times due to his performances over the last year. what age was wes hoolihan when he left the LOI? he went on to have a great career.

• Advertisement

pgj2015 wrote: »
    maybe if he plays well in the europa league games. im not sure we have replaced glenn whelan to be honest, chris could do that job I reckon.

A wheelie bin could do that job.

I think that's the general consensus. He needs to player at a higher level consistently to be considered for a regular starting spot or even a regular squad place.

I'm not sure I'd say he blew it. He's probably much happier at home in Dublin on a personal level and that's his choice, best of luck to him.

Byrne needs to be at least playing in the Championship to be regular for Ireland ,

I wonder why no one has taken a punt, he wouldn't cost much and is still young,

does he have a bad attitude ?

That's not true.

can you name them then?

Hes played 17 games for ireland and one assist (in a friendly)

also was fond of pulling out of international duty when there was nothing wrong with him according to someone involved at Bournemouth that i know

can you name them then?

also was fond of pulling out of international duty when there was nothing wrong with him according to someone involved at Bournemouth that i know

Compare and contrast that to our other midfielders in 17 games and see how many assists / goals they have provided from open play too.

The devil is in the detail .Our midfield has been chronic for some time. Any midfielder / creative player can be accused of being poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

The only glimpse Byrne has had at an international level, he's performed well.

Great engine v NZ, albeit in a friendly.

Lovely link up play and an assist v Bulgaria with a 3-1 win, again in a friendly but we scraped a draw last month with the same side.

Bryne was head and shoulders above the rest in green/white v AC Milan, in great form in the LOI and a creative player in a team of non creative players.

Hendrick, McCarthy & Hourihane are PL players for a reason but from an attacking/creativity point of view, it's non existent in a green shirt.

100% worth a punt IMO

• Advertisement

Compare and contrast that to our other midfielders in 17 games and see how many assists / goals they have provided from open play too.

The devil is in the detail .Our midfield has been chronic for some time. Any midfielder / creative player can be accused of being poor.

so you cant name good games hes had

thanks

can you name them then?

Austria away 2016, Wales away 2017. There's two from the 8 competitive games he's featured in.

Austria away 2016, Wales away 2017. There's two from the 8 competitive games he's featured in.

fair enough, ill go back and watch them again

only thing that stands out from both of those is McClean (one of the most criticised players on here) having good games

Beat me to it. He was excellent away to Austria. Wales he was very good.

Played well in the home game against Austria in that campaign and was decent in the away leg of the playoffs against Denmark.

fair enough, ill go back and watch them again

only thing that stands out from both of those is McClean (one of the most criticised players on here) having good games

I wouldn't mind about on here too much. There are some knowledgeable posters but there's also a large cohort that are utterly clueless, that cohort that slag McClean, that look down their nose at any league outside of England, that declared hilariously that moving to Celtic will be bad for Shane Duffy's career.

Anyway I like to focus on the positives and the good contributions from knowledgeable posters. Most importantly I hope Stephen Kenny learns quickly on the job and that experience of the first two NL games are put to good use and we see a more pragmatic approach tomorrow night.

• Advertisement

Played well in the home game against Austria in that campaign and was decent in the away leg of the playoffs against Denmark.

We could be talking about McClean here in relation to those two games, but you said; "Ah ****e. We're very likely to see McClean play some part now."
    . Inexplicable stupidity.

Austria away was his competitive debut too.

We could be talking about McClean here in relation to those two games, but you said; "Ah ****e. We're very likely to see McClean play some part now."
    . Inexplicable stupidity.

We could be, but we're not. And the reason we're not is because McClean is a busted flush. Consistently terrible for Ireland for the past three years. I'm a period where he was picked repeatedly by managers who had no intention to have the team play football in any constructive way.

I wouldn't mind about on here too much. There are some knowledgeable posters but there's also a large cohort that are utterly clueless, that cohort that slag McClean, that look down their nose at any league outside of England, that declared hilariously that moving to Celtic will be bad for Shane Duffy's career.

Anyway I like to focus on the positives and the good contributions from knowledgeable posters. Most importantly I hope Stephen Kenny learns quickly on the job and that experience of the first two NL games are put to good use and we see a more pragmatic approach tomorrow night.

TheCitizen pops up with his "I am considerably more knowledgeable than others" shtick.

You've been quiet since your "Bielsa doesn't have a clue, tactically naive" routine. You still sticking to that one?

I don't think anyone has or had a problem with Celtic its more got to do with the huge step down to move to the Scottish league ,

But anyway that ones been done to death and we won't see the effect it has on Duffy ( good or bad) for a good year

We could be, but we're not. And the reason we're not is because McClean is a busted flush. Consistently terrible for Ireland for the past three years. I'm a period where he was picked repeatedly by managers who had no intention to have the team play football in any constructive way.

He's being picked in the squad by the current manager and came on the last day. He probably will make an appearance tomorrow night, I'm not sure how that tallies with your "opinion" such as it is.

Your original comment quoted above is idiotic in the extreme. It's hard to take anything you say seriously if you're unwilling to admit your mistake and withdraw that idiotic comment.

I don't think anyone has or had a problem with Celtic its more got to do with the huge step down to move to the Scottish league ,

But anyone that ones been done to death and we won't see the effect it has on Duffy ( good or bad) for a good year

Yeah right, sure thing. If Duffy makes a mistake tomorrow night the sages on here will be all over it pointing "told you so, moving to Celtic is bad for your career etc." However if he plays a blinder you're going to say we won't see the affect on him for a good year.

Nonsense. It was and will be proven to be a brilliant move for Duffy and for his career with Ireland. Bookmark it. I will.

TheCitizen pops up with his "I am considerably more knowledgeable than others" shtick.

You've been quiet since your "Bielsa doesn't have a clue, tactically naive" routine. You still sticking to that one?

Ah we can all make mistakes, and fair play to Bielsa he's made a great start in the English top flight with Leeds. Good luck to him, he's certainly proven me wrong so far, Bamford as well who has started well.

You see we can all make mistakes, however some of us are too thin skinned to admit our mistakes. I definitely don't get everything right, but it wouldn't be difficult to be more knowledgeable than a certain cohort on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ya I don't really get see why he gets the stick he does.

He is what he is, but he been no worse than our other options.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    :confused: he is only 24 and has been called in to the Ireland team a few times due to his performances over the last year. what age was wes hoolihan when he left the LOI? he went on to have a great career.

It depends on context. Compared to us hoolahan had a great career. To a pro footballer it was probably an average to good career.

He’s 24. That’s the age you should be a regular at a decent level if you are a good to very good player. Instead he fell out of favour at a few clubs and is back home playing LOI.

I think for Ireland right now the level you need to operate at to be in contention for a place is performing well and regularly and championship level and above.

I’m not saying dont give him a chance. If he was playing week in and week out in the championship this probably wouldn’t even be a debate.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement