Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Quazzie wrote: »
    Jack Byrne is this year's Wes Hoolihan. A player who could never save us because he wasn't picked and his legend will build with every game he doesn't play.

Didn't watch much of Euro 2016 did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭4goneConclusion

pgj2015 wrote: »
    He scored against sweden in the euros, he crossed for brady to head the winner against italy to get us out of the group. he crossed the ball that ended up with o shea scoring to get a last minute draw with germany away. he always pulled something out of the bag for Ireland when we needed it. he should have got 80 caps for us at least.

Don't forget his assist for McClean away to Austria. Lovely pass! :)

https://youtu.be/PzuWPWlEDSE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

He scored against sweden in the euros, he crossed for brady to head the winner against italy to get us out of the group. he crossed the ball that ended up with o shea scoring to get a last minute draw with germany away. he always pulled something out of the bag for Ireland when we needed it. he should have got 80 caps for us at least.

Not saying he wasn't a decent player, but he was never the messiah man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Tough to do when you’re not even in the top 36 soccer teams in the world going by fifa rankings. NI just behind us which is embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

People should watch back Wes again. The amount of time he won the ball back for a "luxury player" was unreal.

People talk about having leaders on a pitch. The quintessential leader in my book is the player who doesn't shy away, seeks out possession and plays without fear. They're traits that demand immediate respect from team mates, as any player would kill to have the same natural instinct. Wes had it. Byrne has it.

To para phrase Jack Nicholson in As Good as it gets... Wes makes you want to be a better player.

How could you not up your game when playing alongside him? In football, like life in general, you should surround yourself with people who are "better" than you. Strive. Watch yourself improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Quazzie wrote: »
    Jack Byrne is this year's Wes Hoolihan. A player who could never save us because he wasn't picked and his legend will build with every game he doesn't play.

Not a football fan??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Don't forget his assist for McClean away to Austria. Lovely pass! :)

https://youtu.be/PzuWPWlEDSE

Same in the game against Moldova. Plays a perfectly weighted first time pass for Longs goal. Just a pity that he never got going with us until he was in his 30s.

Now you'd kill for a player that will just pass the ball with a bit of effort, never mind someone that can pick a pass out. It's like a work night five aside now with the effort lads put into passing the ball. If Kenny wants to try and play a more possession based game then he's gonna need a player that not only has the technical ability, but tries to dictate play with a bit of effort.

Hourihane has the technical ability in spades but you're as good as playing with ten men the amount of times he just goes missing or is just going through the motions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Tough to do when you’re not even in the top 36 soccer teams in the world going by fifa rankings. NI just behind us which is embarrassing.

Literally one place behind Slovakia. And Bosnia who are considered by many as the best team in the group are the lowest ranked.

Going by FIFA rankings the two best sides are playing in Bratislava tonight and the final will be between NI and Slovakia. The bookies have it as Bosnia and ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

I really hate that you can discuss Hoolahan without it being completely overblown. Simple fact is Ireland were a better football team when he was playing, and it’s a crying shame that we had an ultra conservative manager during his prime years who would consider him even against similar quality teams. He had an excellent range of passing and was able to find space and bring players into the game. Would love to have him available for tonight!

I’m looking forward to tonight, but not 100% expecting a victory. The changes make the Slovaks a bit of an unknown entity and it’s still early days for Kenny, who shouldn’t be under any pressure for a result, as it’s a campaign he shouldn’t have had any part of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

was just thinking there if we have seen the last of Glenn Whelan in an Irish shirt, he surely deserves a testimonial. he had some great games for us over the last 10 + years and did the dirty work when needed to help us grind out a win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

was just thinking there if we have seen the last of Glenn Whelan in an Irish shirt, he surely deserves a testimonial. he had some great games for us over the last 10 + years and did the dirty work when needed to help us grind out a win.

when was the last time Ireland had a testimonial?

was it Niall Quinns one with Sunderland

Did he? When?

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    when was the last time Ireland had a testimonial?

was it Niall Quinns one with Sunderland

Scott Brown two years ago, was Callum Robinsons first game for us. But there was a sort of unofficial testimonial for Whelan two years ago in MONs second last game against Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Did he? When?

Literally Ireland's last qualifier against Denmark.

But sure look who I'm talking to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

This is our 3rd chance to qualify for Euro 2020. We failed twice last year and now get a 3rd crack at it. Not many times will get these many opportunities that's for sure.

Defense has be tight tonight. Last time we scored 2 goals against decent opposition, was 2-2 in Serbia (September 2016)

It's not a easy task even with Slovakia having so many missing

Nervous now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

noodler wrote: »
    Literally Ireland's last qualifier against Denmark.

But sure look who I'm talking to.

He was poor in that game (although not many were better), but in fairness to him, when the legs were gone towards the end, he kept running trying to frustrate the Danes.

Scott Brown two years ago, was Callum Robinsons first game for us. But there was a sort of unofficial testimonial for Whelan two years ago in MONs second last game against Northern Ireland.

Scott Brown played for Ireland did he? that was a celtic tesimonial for him

no Whelans was a friendly

i mean an actual testimonial organised by ireland for an irish player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mushy wrote: »
    He was poor in that game (although not many were better), but in fairness to him, when the legs were gone towards the end, he kept running trying to frustrate the Danes.

No, he played well on that game.

That was the point.

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    Scott Brown played for Ireland did he? that was a celtic tesimonial for him

no Whelans was a friendly

i mean an actual testimonial organised by ireland for an irish player

Did robbie keane get one?

• Advertisement

Did robbie keane get one?

nope, he got called up for a friendly and got a video package at half time, a standing ovation and a goal vs Oman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

A testimonial would need to involve people actually attending it.

Besides that, Whelan was given a send off by MON but then got brought back by Mick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Remember, when we talk about the impact Hoolahan had on the team and how Jack Byrne could do similar is that Wes was playing at a high level in the PL/Championship with Norwich when he had his best performances for us.
    Just because both were both performing well in the LOI at 24, doesn't mean that Byrne would be good enough at Championship/PL level.

Its not just about skill level...things like temperament, physicality etc all things that define a good player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

LowOdour wrote: »
    Remember, when we talk about the impact Hoolahan had on the team and how Jack Byrne could do similar is that Wes was playing at a high level in the PL/Championship with Norwich when he had his best performances for us.
    Just because both were both performing well in the LOI at 24, doesn't mean that Byrne would be good enough at Championship/PL level.

Its not just about skill level...things like temperament, physicality etc all things that define a good player

As I’ve said many times. I’m all for Byrne been given the chance in an Ireland jersey. Our midfield has had no creativity for many years now.

We seem to have no one at premier league or championship type level who can create chances at present.

The way some people are going on youd swear Byrne was Zidane. He plays at a very low level so manager’s reluctance to play him is justified.

He’s not guaranteed to be able to cut it at international level. There’s a reason most players find themselves playing week in and week out at the level they are at.

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    As I’ve said many times. I’m all for Byrne been given the chance in an Ireland jersey. Our midfield has had no creativity for many years now.

We seem to have no one at premier league or championship type level who can create chances at present.

The way some people are going on youd swear Byrne was Zidane. He plays at a very low level so manager’s reluctance to play him is justified.

He’s not guaranteed to be able to cut it at international level. There’s a reason most players find themselves playing week in and week out at the level they are at.

You could be talking about the manager. :confused:

NewMan1982 wrote: »

:pac:. that Zidane comment gave me a laugh.

you would never know how byrnes career will turn out, he could get a championship move and tear it up over there. I think he is a serious home bird and maybe he should move some of his family over to the uk as he is happier when surrounded by them.

One think I have seen him do lately against ac milan and in a LOI match was go on long runs with the ball straight at the opposition teams, this is something Hendrick, Hourihan or mccarthy will never do.

• Advertisement

One think I have seen him do lately against ac milan and in a LOI match was go on long runs with the ball straight at the opposition teams, this is something Hendrick, Hourihan or mccarthy will never do.

Whatever about Hourihane and Hendrick, one would hope that your number six isn't trying to go on long runs with ball thinking he's Zidane.

Whatever about Hourihane and Hendrick, one would hope that your number six isn't trying to go on long runs with ball thinking he's Zidane.

He is Zidane compared to any of the other midfielders we have. most of our centre mids are afraid of the ball and would have to look up creative in the dictionary to know what it means. its refrehing to see someone have the balls to have a go at the opposition like byrne does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Christ lads the bloke deserves a chance but chill out a bit. He's being set up to fail here with some of the overhyping. He's a good players, who is playing to a level that does warrant a go in the side at some point. But he is not going to dramatically change how we play as a side. Whether you like it or not he's playing at no higher than league 1 standard. I would hope anyone in the discussion for our national side could at least rip it up at that level. the blokes being attacked here are regular premier league starters. Club and national coaches see them as adding something despite what those here seem to think.

Let Byrne come in and have a proper go at it before we start making some of these claims about him. If he's not given a fair chance then there's an argument to be had

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Prediction for tonight?

Heart says 1-0 to us.
    Head says 1-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Prediction for tonight?

Heart says 1-0 to us.
    Head says 1-1

I really dont want to get my hopes up but if we could handpick the 2 or 3 players to miss out for Slovakia, I dont think we could've picked a better 3 than Dubravka, Skriniar and Lobotka. I see it being a draw.

We dont score many so i just hope we can get our defence working again as in the past. Keep them scoreless and see what happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Byrne is turning into the new Wes Hoolahan and Andy Reid before that,
    The savour we have but won't use

Even funnier now as its a LOI player ,

I’m hoping for 2-1 but if I’m being realistic and based on our performance last month I think a draw might be the best case scenario.

It might have come too early for Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Reasonable chance of a penalty shootout tonight (probably somewhere around 25% chance).
    Would be just our third one, after Romania '90 and Spain '02.

Have many of our players taken any with their clubs in pressure situations?

Obviously I want us to win but I think a competitive game with us looking comfortable in possession and creating a few good chances is progression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Not that confident about tonight, but they may surprise. Would have been confident enough before watching those first two games against Bulgaria and Finland. Just the defence looks like it has a number of mistakes in it at any given time. It shouldn't as a regular Premier league standard defence, but somehow it did look disorganised. Needed Coleman in there shouting and organising.

McGoldrick back is a bonus though in terms of forward play and holding up the ball at the other end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Reasonable chance of a penalty shootout tonight (probably somewhere around 25% chance).
    Would be just our third one, after Romania '90 and Spain '02.

Have many of our players taken any with their clubs in pressure situations?
    I'd assume they're doing some practice at training and have a fair idea who's going to take them incase in goes to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Id say a duffy winner late into the second half is our best bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Duffy set piece looking like our best chance. Stranger things have happened though, and with Slovakia down their 3 big players tonight could be the night for that.

Hoping for a good performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Id say a duffy winner late into the second half is our best bet.

Will that mean his move to Celtic is a rip roaring success :D
    Of course I'm only joking so no offence to anyone , ,

Hope this is the case and to be fair its most likely way to win for us,

if we had to choose 5 peno takers out of that squad

1. Brady (never missed one yet)
    2. Hourihane (decent dead ball)
    3. McClean (scored his only one vs Slovakia before)
    4 Shane Long (if on pitch)
    5 Alan Browne/Jack Byrne (if either is on pitch, JB scored one it the shootout in Fai Cup final, Browne has scored a few before...) if neither of those are on id go with McGoldrick or Doherty if still on pitch

dont think Coleman, Robison, or Cyrus Christie has ever taken one so might not be the ideal moment for his first one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

I assume as this a one-legged affair tonight there is no away goals rule in place is there? 1-1ing our way through isn't a possibility?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

henke wrote: »
    I assume as this a one-legged affair tonight there is no away goals rule in place is there? 1-1ing our way through isn't a possibility?

Yep, extra time if it's a score draw.

Table in pub booked. Cigarettes bought. No point kidding myself I could watch it at home with sparkling water.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Table in pub booked. Cigarettes bought. No point kidding myself I could watch it at home with sparkling water.
    Cigarettes? ‘Mon the 80’s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Pub booked. Are ye in Ireland, does that mean watching out side?

Byrne is turning into the new Wes Hoolahan and Andy Reid before that,
    The savour we have but won't use

Even funnier now as its a LOI player ,

He isnt really a LOI player though, he is playing a level he is too good for by choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

He isnt really a LOI player though, he is playing a level he is too good for by choice.

Yeah but.... he’s still a LOI player though.... he hasn’t proved he can make the step up. That’s the whole point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What he left Liverpool for place with his beloved Rovers :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

What he left Liverpool for place with his beloved Rovers :)

odd comment considering it was City, Blackburn, Wigan, Cambuur, Oldham and Kilmarnock he played for.

still has a house he owns in Manchester as well

• Advertisement

event wrote: »
    Pub booked. Are ye in Ireland, does that mean watching out side?

Yep, TV in beer garden, we'll probably have to eat...food, not just fingernails...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement