Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

pgj2015 wrote: »
    He isnt really a LOI player though, he is playing a level he is too good for by choice.

Is that really true though? He didn't set L1, the Championship or the SPL alight. So what exactly is his level? I have no doubt he guy is seriously talented but what's as important as talent is temperament and personality.

Can he do it consistently at a higher level that the LOI? Will we ever know? Either way I'm not sure it's a huge issue for us at present. He is a player that can undoubtedly change a game in a split second so no harm looking to him if we need a breakthrough.

Jack at the end of the day should do what's good for Jack and his life. Football comes second so best of luck to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    odd comment considering it was City, Blackburn, Wigan, Cambuur and Kilmarnock he played for.

still has a house he owns in Manchester as well

Did he make any senior appearances for any of them? I’m hearing he has the talent but not the application?

Yep, TV in beer garden, we'll probably have to eat...food, not just fingernails...

Pretty sure u don’t have to eat..??

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Rock77 wrote: »
    Did he make any senior appearances for any of them? I’m hearing he has the talent but not the application?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jack-byrne/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/217757

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

all bar City yeah

did well in Holland by all accounts

• Advertisement

Pretty sure u don’t have to eat..??

You're right, but pub said priority given to diners. I'm not going to jeopardise my seat over a burger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭event

Yep, TV in beer garden, we'll probably have to eat...food, not just fingernails...

Bring a jacket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

What he left Liverpool for place with his beloved Rovers :)

He left the UK to return to his beloved Dublin. same as Keith Fahey returned from the UK for play LOI which he was too good to be playing in. some Dubs just love Dublin and don't want to live anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

He left the UK to return to his beloved Dublin. same as Keith Fahey returned from the UK for play LOI which he was too good to be playing in. some Dubs just love Dublin and don't want to live anywhere else.

Fahey. There’s a player I thought wasn’t used enough by us.

Is that really true though? He didn't set L1, the Championship or the SPL alight. So what exactly is his level? I have no doubt he guy is seriously talented but what's as important as talent is temperament and personality.

Can he do it consistently at a higher level that the LOI? Will we ever know? Either way I'm not sure it's a huge issue for us at present. He is a player that can undoubtedly change a game in a split second so no harm looking to him if we need a breakthrough.

Jack at the end of the day should do what's good for Jack and his life. Football comes second so best of luck to him.

He has come a long way since his days at blackburn and kilmarnock, he seems to have matured a lot since then. I was talking to lads who grew up with him in Dublin before his move to shamrock rovers, they said he wouldnt do anything in the LOI because partying took priority. well he proved them wrong in fairness.

• Advertisement

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Fahey. There’s a player I thought wasn’t used enough by us.

He was a good player. he would have got more caps for us but because he went back to LOI id say that put an end to that, I think he was only 30 when he went back to join st pats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Looking forward to seeing Jack Byrne play. I don't watch LOI rubbish as I'm too busy watching my team Liverpool play on LFCTV.

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing Jack Byrne play. I don't watch LOI rubbish as I'm too busy watching my team Liverpool play on LFCTV.

I love Liverpool rovers as well. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I love Liverpool rovers as well. :)

Did you ever have the laser eye surgery?

If you went blind, count your blessings-you won't get to see the shambles tonight.;)

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Did you ever have the laser eye surgery?

If you went blind, count your blessings-you won't get to see the shambles tonight.;)

No, wasn't suitable. you would probably be better off looking at the sun through binoculars than watching the game tonight, more enjoyment from the former. :)

You're right, but pub said priority given to diners. I'm not going to jeopardise my seat over a burger!

Good call dude... but I think I’ll light the fire and ring the chipper instead!

It does read like he shouldn’t be playing at such a low level Allright.. what’s he at?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Tough one to take. The team and manager deserved better, but it wasn’t to be.

There were good signs of progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

TheCitizen wrote: »

Agree with you on this. Although I was never confident once it was going to penalties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

TheCitizen wrote: »

Agreed. Signs of progress is good enough for me.

• Advertisement

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Agreed. Signs of progress is good enough for me.

Exactly. Qualification wasnt lost tonight. Hopefully we have seen a sign of things to come going forward. As young as they are I reckon the natural goal scoring ability of Idah and Parrot might have made a differ tonight and will be the difference going forward.

You don't always get what you deserve in football but results will mostly reflect approach and attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I thought we were the better team overall. Must not forget Slovakia missed 3 players but still I felt we matched them and just a little more.

Gutted at moment but overall they're a light there that been missing for some time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Gutted with the result , we played some good stuff at times .

The obvious one is we need a goal scorer but I really think our strikers are not being helped by our midfield. In McCarthy, Hendrick and hourihane we neither have a brilliant creator or an all action box to box man who will get on the end of chances ( even though hourihane did and should have scored tonight ) I have no idea where Hendrick of 4 years ago has gone but he looks zero threat going forward.

I actually thought Browne changed it when he came on, he wanted to get beyond our forwards and into the the box, he was a real threat and got on the end of two good moves and should really have scored at least one.

But we need someone like him who’s willing to bust a gut to get into dangerous areas from midfield with our goal scoring issues and I don’t think any of the 3 that started tonight really give you that

You couldn't blame Kenny for some of the misses anyway. They'd have been howlers at a 7pm 5 a side game.
    Such a shame when you think of those misses but overall the last three games have been an improvement.

We just lack that attacking midfielder for the centre trio and we would go up a level, Hendricks just isn't that, frankly he could be an option for the other two slots but not that attacking one.

As disappointing as it was to see, I was sick when I saw that N.Ireland got through. N.Ireland for a place in the Euros... sigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Had to work late so only got ET on the way home.

That Hourihoune chance tho...

Definitely has the better chances.

I'm not as confident we'd have scored against NI as some are tbh but they definitely deserves better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Billcarson

It was nice to see Ireland actually trying to play football and we had some good passages of play. We had our chances and didn't take them and that's what cost us in the end. Always kind of felt we would lose a shoot out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

The player we were missing last night and he was available.

https://twitter.com/ManCityzenscom/status/1314445488003768320?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

That was a heart breaking defeat.

We had by and large the best chances and couldnt take them. Theres still some issues with the personnel and how we approach games but its a much better outlook than towards the end of the last few managers tenures where results and performances were dire.

Idah and mainly Connolly, we're big losses but Brownes first chance and Hourihanes sitter were gilt edged chances that you have to take at this and any level , if you expect to win games but you have to applaud the build up to these chances, even the passing and movement to sit up Brownes chance that he hit the post was probably the most touches and passes we had in the opposition box in half a decade.

The headlines will all focus on the defeat, rightfully so but there should be a proviso that we actually played our best game in a long, long time and brings back a bit of hope for the next round of qualifying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

noodler wrote: »
    Literally Ireland's last qualifier against Denmark.

But sure look who I'm talking to.

He was our best player in the qualifiers. Never got the hate for him. He could still do a job now.

• Advertisement

The player we were missing last night and he was available.

https://twitter.com/ManCityzenscom/status/1314445488003768320?s=19

ah yes we needed a player who hasnt played a competetive game of football since May 2018 :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Was good to see the team play some football and keep possession, but no matter what style you play if you dont take your chances then it will come back to haunt you

Its going to be a slow process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

ah yes we needed a player who hasnt played a competetive game of football since May 2018 :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Still better than most of the squad.

Can’t believe missed so many chances last night. Players only have themselves to blame.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    He was our best player in the qualifiers. Never got the hate for him. He could still do a job now.

Who could?

We need a CM that can play ball as much as we need a goal scorer, IMO.

McCarthy has been one of those players who could rack up circa 70 caps and you'd struggle to think of 5 games where he was above a 6/10 average, hes just there, not doing very much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Who could?

Glenn Whelan.

I always question whether McCarthy's heart is in it.

• Advertisement

Still better than most of the squad.

Can’t believe missed so many chances last night. Players only have themselves to blame.

He's really not haha

weird some of the hills people chose to die on on here :pac::pac:

GavRedKing wrote: »
    We need a CM that can play ball as much as we need a goal scorer, IMO.

McCarthy has been one of those players who could rack up circa 70 caps and you'd struggle to think of 5 games where he was above a 6/10 average, hes just there, not doing very much.

It'll take time. Thats been the story of our midifeld for 10 years now. Dozens of caps and generally poor enough. FFS we have lauded lads for running around and getting hit with ball.

McCarthy will come good under Kenny and he is a PL starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Ah jaysus that was a huge opportunity missed. A poor Slovakian team and the nordies for a place in the euros in our home country.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

He's really not haha

weird some of the hills people chose to die on on here :pac::pac:

We’ll beg to differ.

I’d suggest he has way more talent than any of them and would have taken his chance last night instead of choking like the rest of them did in both the game and then in the penalties.

It was hard to take last night. On paper we’re not a far superior team to Slovakia but we created enough to put them away but as always our final third was brutal.

Honestly Robbie Keane would still get in this squad!

We’ll beg to differ.

I’d suggest he has way more talent than any of them and would have taken his chance last night instead of choking like the rest of them did in both the game and then in the penalties.

It was hard to take last night. On paper we’re not a far superior team to Slovakia but we created enough to put them away but as always our final third was brutal.

id agree with you on that bit haha

but honeslty a playe who hasnt played for 2 years like Ireland has no business being near any squads,

any League 1 pleayer would be a better option as at least theyre playing week in week out compared to being sat on their hole like Ireland, at least theyd have match sharpness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭piplip87

Randolph

Coleman Duffy Eagan
    Doherty Stephens

McCarthy Hourihane
    McGoldrick
    Robinson Connelly

433 is not working in an attacking sense for this team. We dont have the wingers to really make the difference. McGoldrick was brilliant last night but when he comes short the wingers didn't fill the space he left effectively enough. I'd like to see him tried behind two centrally pacey strikers.

Dotherthy and Steven's Brilliant going forward but I dont think playing on a 4 really suits either and we can get caught out as seen in the games so far.

The two in Midfeild. McCarthy seems to be enjoying the style of play and Hourihane beside him can provide the creative spark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

piplip87 wrote: »
    Randolph

Coleman Duffy Eagan
    Doherty Stephens

McCarthy Hourihane
    McGoldrick
    Robinson Connelly

433 is not working in an attacking sense for this team. We dont have the wingers to really make the difference. McGoldrick was brilliant last night but when he comes short the wingers didn't fill the space he left effectively enough. I'd like to see him tried behind two centrally pacey strikers.

Dotherthy and Steven's Brilliant going forward but I dont think playing on a 4 really suits either and we can get caught out as seen in the games so far.

The two in Midfeild. McCarthy seems to be enjoying the style of play and Hourihane beside him can provide the creative spark.
    Hourihane isn’t that guy . Hend, hour and Mc all very similar and much of a muchness

It'll take time. Thats been the story of our midifeld for 10 years now. Dozens of caps and generally poor enough. FFS we have lauded lads for running around and getting hit with ball.

McCarthy will come good under Kenny and he is a PL starter.

Of all the CM options, hes one of the better ones, the issue is though hes not really performed for us consistently.

At 30, I dont see that improving.

I think Browne was one of the better players on the night when he came on, he was pushing on passed the CF giving us options off the ball, he'll get ridiculed for missing the first chance and the penalty was a perfect height for the GK but he done well to get into positions where he had 2 very good chances.

Another night we're talking about one of the all time great Irish performances but Houriahnes terrible miss and Brownes chancess are the difference between going into a decider with the North on a high or talking about the future.

At the very least theres a glimmer of hope that under Kenny, the shackles might be finally loosing up a bit, it just leaves a bitter taste in the mouth that its come on the back of a painful loss.

Onwards and upwards though for future campaigns.

I have another issue lads. McGoldrick done brilliantly but he can't be left up there on his own. Our 3 chances last night fell to midfielders with no striker anywhere to be seen. Now I know that McGoldrick done exceptionally well to create the Hourihane chance but it's him who should of been on the end of the Browne chance that hit the post. If he is going to be dropping deeper than our midfielders picking up ball then we need Connolly up front with him.

What a loss Aaaron Connolly was last night too. You'd feel it was the kind of game he could have blossomed in.

As disappointed as I am I just remind myself that at the start of this campaign Gibraltor looked very bit as good as us and we looked really poor against teams on a similar level. Last night we where the better team, created the better chances and took the game to them away from home. This time 12months ago we'd have made Slovakia look like Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

That result hurt more than it should. We were cancelled out by a Slovakia side that are very similar to us. The rankings are pretty spot on. It's frustrating to see a complete lack of killer instinct when we get into the final third or as we saw tonight...in the box!! Regardless...it's the first time in a long time I've seen a half-decent side against Ireland pulling back and standing off us to defend, I think part of this was due to our passing game and showing a bit more confidence on the ball. Sure, we need to figure out the final end product...hopefully playing this way against the weaker sides, the goals will start coming and confidence will brew up there too so when we do face better opposition we can have a proper go....instead of dreading 90 minutes of long ball...that being said, I don't mind the odd hoof if we see a potential sneaky glory moment (Long vs Germany).

How lucky have we been with our centre backs over the years? McGoldrick was exceptional along with Duffy. He needs to be our "Walters" of the next campaign, the guy we can pick out for a pass or the odd long ball, who can control the ball well and link up play. Doherty still hasn't done it in an Irish shirt yet...I dunno how many more chances he can be afforded if Coleman is still on the form he is showing. My mind is a blur now but did Hendrick play the full 90 + extra? He lost his legs towards the end and I felt he was making too many mistakes/getting too sluggish, Byrne maybe should have been thrown in to shake things up and find that killer pass up to McGoldrick. We needed to go more direct, it caused Slovakia some problems when McGoldrick did that....it's a shame we didn't have Connolly as this is the type of player we needed last night.

The whole centimetres distance/covid debacle is a strange one, Kenny seemed very awkward when questioned on it, maybe he was trying to dance around it nicely.

Overall, gutted to go out on penalties but happy to see signs of progress and I no longer have to dread watching 100% long ball games. Would like to see us try 3-5-2 or 5-3-2, McGoldrick needs someone else up there to link up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

piplip87 wrote: »
    Randolph

Coleman Duffy Eagan
    Doherty Stephens

McCarthy Hourihane
    McGoldrick
    Robinson Connelly

I think a 3-5-2 could work with the players we have. Need to get forwards and strikers like Idah, Connolly and Parrott into the team. Unfortunate that all 3 of those were unavailable last night.

I think we should get more info on what exactly happened to Connolly and Idah, was there some failure in managing social distance in the Irish camp, do they have a covid officer to watch this stuff.

It is awful that Kenny was deprived of 2 players that might have added to the game. It should not be glossed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

I think we should get more info on what exactly happened to Connolly and Idah, was there some failure in managing social distance in the Irish camp, do they have a covid officer to watch this stuff.

It is awful that Kenny was deprived of 2 players that might have added to the game. It should not be glossed over.

The impression I got was that they sat beside him on the flight over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭RonanG86

We’ll beg to differ.

Correction, Ireland had way more talent than most of our current team. But what you had doesn't matter if you're not a footballer anymore. He hasn't had a club in two years, and started about 5 games for Stoke in the 3 years before that. And the last time he was actually good was probably around 2010.

Might as well talk about recalling John Aldridge.

The impression I got was that they sat beside him on the flight over

How on earth did that happen? Sure the dogs on the street know the whole social distance thing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement