Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Still all Stephen Kenny's fault.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

All 4 were meant to start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Still all Stephen Kenny's fault.......
    In fairness though, it probably is.

If we’d stuck to a long ball game with big gaps and little interaction between defence to mid, and mid to forwards, then the risk of viral transmission would have been significantly reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

You have lucky managers and you have unlucky managers

Kenny can't catch a break so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Hope they are all ok but not gonna cry too much about not being able to field our strongest lineup in a NL game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

bren2001 wrote: »
    Dan McDonnell reporting this morning that the positive covid-19 test for the background staff member was a false positive. He did not have covid-19. 0.2% chance of that occurring in the Irish system supposedly.

Connolly and Idah are now eligible for the NL games but are unlikely to rejoin the squad.

With this and the chances we missed in the game if one was to believe in fate you would say we weren't destined to win this match. Anyway looking forward to see how we get on later against Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Absolute Keystone Cops carry on. If it wasn't so serious it would make for a great comedy sketch. I'd say the appetite for todays game is pretty non existant in the squad after all that has happened since Thursday. Stephen Kenny must be wondering what he did to receive such a bad hand. The only positive to come out of this is more egg on the face for a toxic organisation and a possible huge cash windfall for the FAI disappearing into thin air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Game should be cancelled imo.

Have to say, couldn't see Mick standing over a fiasco like this. Amateur hour.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Have to say, couldn't see Mick standing over a fiasco like this. Amateur hour.

What exactly would Mick do to fix the situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭roverjoyce

Time to go 5 at the back - nothing to lose

Travers
    Doherty Williams Duffy Long Stevens
    Hendrick Molumby Hourihane
    Brady Long

Bit short up front but play to our strengths in the 2 wing backs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

A hard and sad story to read however a great and hopeful for the future lies ahead...for those of you with an Athletic sub..

‘When I was in hospital Roy Keane looked out for me. He didn’t need to do that’

https://theathletic.com/2126654/2020/10/10/brian-lenihan-world-mental-health-day-roy-keane-hull-city/

I hadn't heard about this, hope he is in a better place now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

What’s the criteria for only 4 players being close contacts. Were their 5 of them at a table or what. Surely you’d think the whole staff and squad could now be potentially infected.

Why was it not possible for the whole squad to be tested this morning and have results back for 12pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

irish_goat wrote: »

I'd imagine he'd cross a few balls into the box the big thick prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Send his best player home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Well listen, at least this paves the way for Jack Byrne. God truly does move in mysterious ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

What’s the criteria for only 4 players being close contacts. Were their 5 of them at a table or what.

I'm wondering about that too. If I was part of a group like a football squad for a week or so, I'd be hard pressed to say with any certainty who precisely I had been in 'close contact' with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

roverjoyce wrote: »
    Time to go 5 at the back - nothing to lose

Travers
    Doherty Williams Duffy Long Stevens
    Hendrick Molumby Hourihane
    Brady Long

Bit short up front but play to our strengths in the 2 wing backs

I have a feeling one of those players will not be able to play....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

What channel is the match on today?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Sky Sports Main Event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

If you have Sky it's on the Welsh S4C channel, if you don't have Sky I think you can watch it on the S4C website but you gotta sign up to the website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

sugarman wrote: »
    Team:

Randolph

Doherty
    Duffy
    Long
    Stevens

Molumby
    Hendrick
    Hourihane

Brady
    Long
    Mcclean

Subs: Travers, Kelleher, Horgan, Byrne, Maguire, Cullen, Christie.

Looks like Williams was the positive test.

Disappointing Byrne and Cullen weren't given the nod from the start but they should feature.

Not sure that's massively weaker than our 'first choice' team right now. Hard to say exactly who our best midfield and attacking players are atm anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Also on S4C HD freeview if you have a satellite receiver.

That’s the frequency to manually tune in....11.426 V 29500 - 8/9 HD

11.344 V 27500 - 5/6 SD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

What are the implications for the Finland game now? Will Idah and Connolly come back? Will any of today’s 4 close contacts be allowed play?

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    What are the implications for the Finland game now? Will Idah and Connolly come back? Will any of today’s 4 close contacts be allowed play?

Doubt their clubs will allow them leave for a second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Too late to abandon this game but we should not travel to Finland. Send the players back to their clubs this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

If I was a teenager who travelled across Europe to be told it was a waste of a journey because I sat in the wrong seat, oh and I may have been exposed to the virus, from an "official" who wasn't actually important to the game at all, I'd probably tell them thanks but not to call me back for a long time. And if someone said it was my fault because teenagers should know the social distancing arrangements agreed between the FAI and the HSE, I'd say fair enough and thanks but not to call me back for a long time.

Alternatively, if the teenagers sat in the seats they were assigned, there wouldn’t have been an issue and they could have played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Not sure that's massively weaker than our 'first choice' team right now. Hard to say exactly who our best midfield and attacking players are atm anyway...

I'd have any of McGoldrick, Connolly, Idah, Parrott, Robinson, Obafemi or O'Dowda over Brady and McClean in a front 3.

We're screwed if either CB picks up a knock.

It'll be interesting to see who they call up for the Finland game.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

2 keepers on the bench? Had we run out of outfield players?

2 keepers on the bench? Had we run out of outfield players?

You always have two keepers on the bench. International football is a subs bench of 12.

• Advertisement

Can the clubs call their players back? The FAI should look to abandon the game on Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Disappointing so many players ruled out in this way. I was hoping we’d be able to build on Thursday’s game.

Hopefully the FAI learn from this and have stricter protocols in place from now on.

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Disappointing so many players ruled out in this way. I was hoping we’d be able to build on Thursday’s game.

Hopefully the FAI learn from this and have stricter protocols in place from now on.

Forget about it. In reality there shouldn’t be any international football until Covid is under control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Which player tested positive?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Put 'em under pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Too late to abandon this game but we should not travel to Finland. Send the players back to their clubs this evening

Understandable point of view in the circumstances, but UEFA would probably chuck a huge fine at us for failing to fulfill what is technically a competitive fixture when we had enough players available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Lads, it's Wales.

Ireland 2 Wales nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Bad feeling about this. Lots of negativity around, can imagine it will be worse if we lose.

fullstop wrote: »
    Alternatively, if the teenagers sat in the seats they were assigned, there wouldn’t have been an issue and they could have played.

As someone who went straight to the back of the bus in every school trip and not necessarily where the teachers said we should sit, I can't criticise them too much...

As someone who went straight to the back of the bus in every school trip and not necessarily where the teachers said we should sit, I can't criticise them too much...

Please, stop it, as you're just embarrassing yourself at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

What an utterly idiotic comparison. How is a school bus in any way comparable to a chartered flight for professional athletes??

You’re basically saying you were a disobedient child so it’s someone else’s fault if two Premier League footballers (former in Idah’s case) are too. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Beating Wales in this borefest of a Nations League won't make up one little bit for missing out on the chance to play in our own stadium in a European Championship tournament. It has been a massive failure in a once in a lifetime opportunity and playing behind closed doors in a new tournament set up to replace the ever diminishing 'friendly' is a very poor substitute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

McCarthy-like selection once again. There are options on the bench more suited to the style Kenny said he wanted to show. We need to see signs of something today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It really is a clusterfúck of a situation.
    You never know, changes might put help get a result.

Beating Wales in this borefest of a Nations League won't make up one little bit for missing out on the chance to play in our own stadium in a European Championship tournament. It has been a massive failure in a once in a lifetime opportunity and playing behind closed doors in a new tournament set up to replace the ever diminishing 'friendly' is a very poor substitute.

With everything that's happened in international football there's no chance they'll be able to play the whole Euros in multiple countries. They'll end up moving it to somewhere like Germany and do what they did for the champions league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

With everything that's happened in international football there's no chance they'll be able to play the whole Euros in multiple countries. They'll end up moving it to somewhere like Germany and do what they did for the champions league.

Definitely.

Yea possibly but we dont know for sure. Could still go ahead in each city but with a reduced capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Good possibility of that alright and with Euro 2024 already scheduled for Germany I wonder would they go with this across Europe in 2028 but that is a long way away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This has been a dreadful game so far. Pity the neutrals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

This has been a dreadful game so far. Pity the neutrals.

Wouldnt think there would be too many.

Good to see Mick McCarthy still earning a crust out of our International team. He's only out of the managers job a wet week with a wheelbarrow full of cash and he's immediately called upon to commentate on his successor's performance and no doubt for a nice few bob, too. For some the gravey train never ends.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement