Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Into the NL/friendlies distinction point again I fear but I don't think there's be as many wanting to see him gone before his first qualifying campaign if we'd had a few dry performances in friendlies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Kenny confirms that players will be called up for the Finland game. Says nothing about if it's lads with the U21s or players who weren't in either squad. Hopefully Connelly and Idah can be called back up since their close contact was a false positive, but can't see either club releasing players for a second time or if we'd even be allowed call them back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Kenny confirms that players will be called up for the Finland game. Says nothing about if it's lads with the U21s or players who weren't in either squad. Hopefully Connelly and Idah can be called back up since their close contact was a false positive, but can't see either club releasing players for a second time or if we'd even be allowed call them back up.

Chief exec of FAI said both players would be back in squad unless HSE guidelines prohibit it. Clubs have no say if players are fit & able.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,934 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

More than likely our clash with Bulgaria will be the relegation decider in November

Us in League C might not be that bad and tbh we were going to be in it for the start of Kennys tenure until they changed it

Tis been a tough week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

sugarman wrote: »
    Pretty sure clubs were given the power to not release their players under UEFA Covid regulations introduced.

Yes but they can’t just cite them with no basis. Like they can’t use the false positive as reasoning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I'd love someone to answer this: why are we attempting a philosophy of possession-based football by selecting a pragmatic side without any possession footballers in it? Why is he not starting creative players? If the answer is that it's because he has no faith in such players, then that begs the question why we even replaced McCarthy with Kenny in the first place.

I don't get that either. Lets be honest, it is debatable whether Ireland have creative players up to the level required. It is clear that Kenny does not rate Byrne or maybe he does not think he has the required fitness?

If Ireland played a slightly more sophisticated/strategic version of a direct game would have a better chance of getting results imo.
    Annoy the opposition put em under pressure! As was once said. Now Ireland just stand off teams. What use is possession when is safe to side stuff and little or no penetration? It is not being creative it is playing it safe.

It is like a fella pretending a deli sambo is a gourmet meal.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

To the anti Kenny brigade who would you want as manager?

Keep in mind that the FAI don't have a pot to p1ss with your answers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

PTH2009 wrote: »
    More than likely our clash with Bulgaria will be the relegation decider in November

Us in League C might not be that bad and tbh we were going to be in it for the start of Kennys tenure until they changed it

Tis been a tough week

Good point. MON got us relegated so we are playing at a higher level than we should be. It is therefore more difficult for SK than it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Who is the anti Kenny brigade? I haven't read anyone looking for his head already. I've no problem with Stephen Kenny. I like him as a manager. And as a man, also. The problem is the team. And no manager can work miracles and turn some of these players from water into wine. They are an honest bunch. But there's no real creativity or stardust. It is what it is.

deisedude wrote: »
    To the anti Kenny brigade who would you want as manager?

Keep in mind that the FAI don't have a pot to p1ss with your answers

I wouldn't be anti-Kenny players are not there and cannot make a silk purse out if a sows ear. Grafters is all they are.
    Not many other options as Manager either. Roy Keane?
    How many others would want it and be better paid than thier current job?

Just have to suffer it now for this generation of Irish football until a new crop appears, or things improve.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Who is the anti Kenny brigade? I haven't read anyone looking for his head already.

You are not on the ROI fans forum on Facebook then? A percentage have been calling for his head since day 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Who is the anti Kenny brigade? I haven't read anyone looking for his head already. I've no problem with Stephen Kenny. I like him as a manager. And as a man, also. The problem is the team. And no manager can work miracles and turn some of these players from water into wine. They are an honest bunch. But there's no real creativity or stardust. It is what it is.

Plenty had made their mind up Kenny wasn't up to it from the moment he got the job before his team had played any game.

I'd agree with your comments on lack of quality in the team. One world class player can go a long way in International football

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    You are not on the ROI fans forum on Facebook then? A percentage have been calling for his head since day 1

Never on facebook in my life so no idea what goes on there.

deisedude wrote: »
    Plenty had made their mind up Kenny wasn't up to it from the moment he got the job before his team had played any game.

I'd agree with your comments on lack of quality in the team. One world class player can go a long way in International football

Well if we'd a half decent striker we'd have won quite a few matches in our abysmal run over the last few years.

Never on facebook in my life so no idea what goes on there.

Lucky you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Isn't it funny how the anti McCarthy/O'Neill/Trap brigade who were happy to dish it out so vocally when we played poorly are so now hyper-sensitive for any criticism that Kenny gets?

Despite what some say, I haven't read of one person here who has suggested that Kenny needs to go. He obviously deserves his crack at the whip, and he will certainly get it. Still though, I would be bitterly disappointed if we did not see improvement in the next three games. Bulgaria are absolutely shíte, playing them at home is surely a must-win at the very minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Probably Rovers fans who have never got over his success with Dundalk after they sacked him. One of the great LOI mistakes, along with Sligo sacking Barrowclough.

Isn't it funny how the anti McCarthy/O'Neill/Trap brigade who were happy to dish it out so vocally when we played poorly are so now hyper-sensitive for any criticism that Kenny gets?

Despite what some say, I haven't read of one person here who has suggested that Kenny needs to go. He obviously deserves his crack at the whip, and he will certainly get it. Still though, I would be bitterly disappointed if we did not see improvement in the next three games. Bulgaria are absolutely shíte, playing them at home is surely a must-win at the very minimum.

What nonsense.

What's funny is some posters suggesting his job is under threat before the WC qualification campaign starts because we didn't look great in a few dressed up friendlies.

That is an embarrassingly ridiculous level of patience. You don't have to be anti-Trap or anti-MON to see that.

Despite what some say, I haven't read of one person here who has suggested that Kenny needs to go. .

Here, let me show you one since you can't be arsed reading the thread.
    Poor performance yet again. Probably the worst Wales side we've played in the last few years, missing Bale, missing Joe Allen, playing a central midfield duo of a Bristol City player and a Man City youth prospect, and we couldn't beat them.

Kenny has now had 4 games against pretty average opposition and hasn't won even one of them. 390 minutes of this supposed new brand of football and we've managed 1 goal - a Duffy header from a set-piece.

Leave aside the excuses about Covid-19. The reality is Kenny picked poor squads and has faced the consequences of those decisions.

It becomes harder and harder to see Kenny, Andrews and Duff as being the saviours of Irish football, as opposed to well-meaning folks in way over their heads. Very strong whiff of the Staunton era about this whole thing. They don't seem to know 4 games in what their best side is. What players are required to work the system they want to play? Why are we attempting a philosophy of possession-based football by selecting a pragmatic side without any possession footballers in it? It's bizarre.

If we don't see anything positive against another average side in Finland then it's perhaps time to question whether this experiment needs to be put out of its misery; otherwise, we may end up squandering the most exciting crop of players we have seen emerge in a generation. There has been no evidence so far to suggest these lads are up to the task at hand. We can't sacrifice the next few years in a vain attempt to save face against all the evidence before our eyes. We need to see something in the next game.

Pretty sure he was whingeing about wanting a change in manager last month too.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    What's funny is some posters suggesting his job is under threat before the WC qualification campaign starts
    Who is suggesting that?

noodler wrote: »
    Here, let me show you one since you can't be arsed reading the thread.
    I read that, I see criticism, I don't see him asking for Kenny's head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We are keeping the ball way better then we have in last 15 years.

Its night and day from Trap and O Neill era. Pressing is also improving every game and organisation.

The next big task is to create more chances and most importantly score goals.

But anyone who says been no improvement has either not watched Ireland or in denial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Good to see Mick McCarthy still earning a crust out of our International team. He's only out of the managers job a wet week with a wheelbarrow full of cash and he's immediately called upon to commentate on his successor's performance and no doubt for a nice few bob, too. For some the gravey train never ends.

Man gets paid for job. Takes another job when replaced in original job. The b@stard!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Let’s be positive, he is trying to play attacking possession football , it will take time . We were much the better side against Slovakia and should be going to the euros.

Over the next couple of years we have a chance to add the following attacking into the team Obafemi, Parrott , Byrne ( obvious he needs a move now to be considered ) Idah, Coventry , Cullen , Molumby .

It’s a rough patch but there’s a glut of young players coming through that we haven’t seen in years

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1315402841192837122

Looks like Brighton have refused to re release Connolly.

Looks like Brighton are being sensible.

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Jesus lads. The negative comments. Stop watching the team if it bothers you so much.

We are playing better football. We were missing about 6 first team players.

We lack creativity and a prolific striker. No manager can change that.

If we still played hoof ball we wouldn’t be scoring either. We would be sitting back constantly defending from the aimless hoofs losing possession.

I saw plenty of positives this week. We just lack quality. We are playing to our level.

We weren’t missing 6 players against Bulgaria, they got hammered by Hungary during the week (who is their prolific striker??).

We weren’t missing 6 players against Slovakia who were beaten by Scotland tonight, with all their creativity and prolific strikers!!

4 games.
    0 wins.
    1 goal.
    Cost: €9m+

Looks like Brighton are being sensible.

Yeah, he might get lost if there's nobody there to hold his hand.

Man gets paid for job. Takes another job when replaced in original job. The b@stard!!

Thats one way to look at it. The way i see it is man gets job but isn't happy with the succession plan with Kenny to take over if he gets to Euro's. Gets ridiculously paid for average job. Leaves job early. Gets paid up fully. And now commentating on the games with the man who he wasn't happy with taking his job. Conflict of interest? Do you think Mick would be happy to see Kenny do well and bring the team to the Euro's? Personally i'd rather not have to listen to Mick McCarthy commentate on Ireland's matches so soon after departing the scene in such unusual circumstances. But hey seems to be a lot of Mick the Pundit fans on here so knock yourself out.

• Advertisement

Yeah, he might get lost if there's nobody there to hold his hand.

Or they might know more than the FAI's "1.5 metres...1.7...are we flying over Britain or Ireland...arra go back to watching the film, we'll blame them for moving seats"

Thats one way to look at it. The way i see it is man gets job but isn't happy with the succession plan with Kenny to take over if he gets to Euro's. Gets ridiculously paid for average job. Leaves job early. Gets paid up fully. And now commentating on the games with the man who he wasn't happy with taking his job. Conflict of interest? Do you think Mick would be happy to see Kenny do well and bring the team to the Euro's? Personally i'd rather not have to listen to Mick McCarthy commentate on Ireland's matches so soon after departing the scene in such unusual circumstances. But hey seems to be a lot of Mick the Pundit fans on here so knock yourself out.

Leaves job early? His job was over, there were no more games he would have taken charge of. He gave Kenny extra time in the role ffs. What a laughable reason to slag him off.

Do you think Mick would be happy to see Kenny do well and bring the team to the Euro's?
    He is 100% supportive of Kenny and the squad.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/it-was-a-travesty-mick-mccarthy-gives-his-verdict-after-ireland-come-up-short-in-playoff-39603258.html
    "When you look at the way the game went, it was a travesty that Ireland didn't go through," he told Sky Sports.

"It's desperately sad for the two lads that missed and for all the lads. Ireland played well. They've had the best chances and all that was missing was the finish and that goal that probably would have been enough to win it.

"We played the best football, had the best chances. We were the better side for large portions of the game and you could see Stephen Kenny talking to his players before they went back out for extra-time and he seemed to be urging them to go forward.

"He could see that Slovakia were not comfortable and the chance was there to get the goal because they look tired and uncertain at the back when we pressed them.

"I'm devastated for the lads. They gave me everything in the qualifying games and they deserved more from that. It was so sad to see it end like that."
    Mick would 100% have loved to have gotten a crack against Slovakia, but the man is a complete gentleman, and I haven't detected even the remotest trace of sour grapes he did not get to finish the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,916 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Obafemi is going to be the new why doesn't the manager not call him up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

O'Shea had to be included.

Would be good to see Knight play. One of the players with a great chance of playing at a high level in the club game. Need to have him involved in senior team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

There are obviously caveats to what follows as it is not comparing games against the same teams, but I thought below was interesting look at how the stats look from the transition between Mick McCarthy and Stephen Kenny.

It's possible we're just being a lot more wasteful/unlucky in front of goal at the moment, and that we'll revert towards the mean soon i.e. turning one/some of the few SOT into (a) goal(s)

Stephen Kenny's first 4 games: 3 draws, 1 loss
    Bulgaria Away: 1-1 Draw
    • 62% possession
    • 581 passes
    • 87% pass success
    • 14 Attempts (3 on target)

Finland Home: 0-1 Defeat
    • 52% possession
    • 490 passes
    • 89% pass success
    • 13 Attempts (4 on target)

Slovakia Away: 0-0 draw (lost on pens)
    • 46% possession
    • 489 passes
    • 80% pass Success
    • 13 attempts (3 on target)

Wales Home: 0-0 draw
    • 50% possession
    • 546 passes
    • 84% pass success
    • 11 shots (2 on target)

Mick McCarthy's last 4 games: 3 draws, 1 loss
    Switzerland Home: 1-1 Draw
    • 40% possession
    • 261 passes
    • 76% pass success
    • 4 shots (2 on target)

Georgia Away: 0-0 Draw
    • 44% possession
    • 266 passes
    • 69% pass success
    • 7 shots (3 on target)

Switzerland Away: 2-0 Loss
    • 43% possession
    • 335 passes
    • 76% pass success
    • 9 shots (3 on target)

Denmark Home: 1-1 Draw
    • 52% possession
    • 493 passes
    • 78% possession
    • 15 shots (3 on target)

Stephen Kenny's first 4 games avg.:

Avg. possession = 52.5%
    Avg. passes = 526.5
    Avg. pass success = 85%
    Avg. Shots = 12.75 (3 on target)
    Goals For = 1
    Goals against = 2
    Goal Difference = -1

Mick McCarthy's last 4 games avg.:

Avg. possession = 44.75%
    Avg. passes = 338.75
    Avg. pass success = 74.75%
    Avg. Shots = 8.75 (2.75 on target)
    Goals For = 2
    Goals against = 4
    Goal Difference = -2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

It's weird that Curtis is getting a call up ahead of him, but I don't think we're missing much by not having him in.

I still find it far odder that Byrne didn't get a swing with 30 mins to go. With Didzy out, we had no creativity in final third. Seemed like a fairly obvious observation that was worth a punt. And wales didn't look like doing much going forward so I don't think it was going to be much of a risk.

Mick McCarthy's four games were against tough opposition in Euro Groups with fans in attendance. The Swiss and Danes are good teams. Georgia away never easy.

Stephen Kenny's had three games in a pretty boring Nations League with no crowd in attendance. Bulgaria are a poor side. Finland are decent but we shouldn't be losing at home to them. Wales were as bad today as i've seen them in a long time and looked disinterested. Slovakia are not the team they were and were a long way off full strength and didn't have the bonus of a raucous home crowd to cheer them on in the play off.

It's hard to compare and contrast because of the difference in strength of opposition, crowds etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I have my doubts about Kenny but I do think we have been unfairly punished in the last few games.

It's difficult to count them in a critique of his reign.

Let's see after a few more, hopefully farce free, games.

I don't rate that fella at all very raw, bit of headless chicken about him. Doesn't know where is running half the time.
    Pity an intelligent footballer like McGoldrick does not have Obafemi's youth and pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I don't rate that fella at all very raw, bit of headless chicken about him. Doesn't know where is running half the time.
    Pity an intelligent footballer like McGoldrick does not have Obafemi's youth and pace.

Is this still from the one time you watched him play a year ago for the U21’s, which I think was his second ever game with that team?

He is still quite raw, but would say far from headless. Looks to know exactly what he’s meant to be doing at Southampton.

Really hope he gets a loan deal before the 16th, as Walcott joining Southampton will hurt his playing time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I wouldn’t blame Brighton but aren’t they under obligation to do so? Hard to make sense of the chaos this week

Mick McCarthy's four games were against tough opposition in Euro Groups with fans in attendance. The Swiss and Danes are good teams. Georgia away never easy.

Stephen Kenny's had three games in a pretty boring Nations League with no crowd in attendance. Bulgaria are a poor side. Finland are decent but we shouldn't be losing at home to them. Wales were as bad today as i've seen them in a long time and looked disinterested. Slovakia are not the team they were and were a long way off full strength and didn't have the bonus of a raucous home crowd to cheer them on in the play off.

It's hard to compare and contrast because of the difference in strength of opposition, crowds etc.

I literally said this in the first line of the post.

And reducing the Georgia game to "Georgia away is never easy" is very reductive. I could've included the Georgia home game instead, which we won but had less possession, one shot more than them, and a 78% pass success. But thought it was better to show the more recent games under Mick in which he had had time to get his mark on the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Obafemi has no future under Kenny hes been snubbed enough at this point so no point bringing him up.

I think with the changed eligibility rules he can still declare for Nigeria to get an international career. He did however seem pretty definite in declaring for Ireland which sucks for him :(

Obafemi stuff coming up again despite the fact he's barely kicked a ball this season for his club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Got caught out by the Stephen Kenny sacked thread title :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Obafemi stuff coming up again despite the fact he's barely kicked a ball this season for his club.

Like that'd make a difference to Kenny.

I literally said this in the first line of the post.

And reducing the Georgia game to "Georgia away is never easy" is very reductive. I could've included the Georgia home game instead, which we won but had less possession, one shot more than them, and a 78% pass success. But thought it was better to show the more recent games under Mick in which he had had time to get his mark on the team.

Stats can be interesting but they remind me of the mini skirt: they show a lot but sometimes hide some vital parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

One things that really annoys me with international football is when we play a game and lose or draw and people say "well we are heading in the right direction " or " we played nice football"

The lads only meet up once every few months train together for average of two days before games, There not "heading in any direction " they are what they are for 90 minutes and then its back to clubs for a few months .Then reset and start again with 2 days prep for the next international fixture,

The only time you get to work properly with the squad is if you qualify for a tournament that's when you get time together

International football is about results end of story ,
    We are currently as bad as we where under McCarthy just in a different way ,

Id rather take our style under Trap if it meant getting to tournaments ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

watched the game last night, they didnt do too badly but just cant score. But id rather watch good passing football and loose than watch long ball rubbish where we score from a header from a corner or free kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

pgj2015 wrote: »
    watched the game last night, they didnt do too badly but just cant score. But id rather watch good passing football and loose than watch long ball rubbish where we score from a header from a corner or free kick.

Obviously its a personal preference so there's no right or wrong but I could deal with football that's poor on the eye if its more effective,

But there's also the chance it won't be anymore effective ,

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement