Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Obviously its a personal preference so there's no right or wrong but I could deal with football that's poor on the eye if its more effective,

But there's also the chance it won't be anymore effective ,

Our previous football wasn't more effective, though. The last time we scored more than 1 non-own goals in a competitive game was over 20 matches ago.

The bar is so low that just stringing some passes together and creating some chances that aren't hopeful crosses or set pieces in a 0-0 draw is, indeed, heading in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Obviously its a personal preference so there's no right or wrong but I could deal with football that's poor on the eye if its more effective,

But there's also the chance it won't be anymore effective ,

True, its like when I play 5 a side, I much prefer short passing and patience than long ball and rushing things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

One things that really annoys me with international football is when we play a game and lose or draw and people say "well we are heading in the right direction " or " we played nice football"

The lads only meet up once every few months train together for average of two days before games, There not "heading in any direction " they are what they are for 90 minutes and then its back to clubs for a few months .Then reset and start again with 2 days prep for the next international fixture,

The only time you get to work properly with the squad is if you qualify for a tournament that's when you get time together

International football is about results end of story ,
    We are currently as bad as we where under McCarthy just in a different way ,

Id rather take our style under Trap if it meant getting to tournaments ,

We're a lot worse than we were under McCarthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I admire Kenny for having the courage of his convictions to play a more easy on the eye passing game and it is better to watch than some of the route one football played under previous managers.

Is it all about getting to major tournaments for a big jolly up every few years if the football on display is a hard watch? For me it's not. I'd rather we embrace this new style and try and create a culture of better ball players with more attention to skill, touch and creativity.

My worry is things wont go too well for Stephen and whenever he departs we will get a new big name foreign coach in once again who will consign all this 'passing and possession' football to the past and revert to the old 'up and at em' and 'put em under pressure' football that everyone outside of our island seems to think is all we are capable or good at. And the green chutes and seeds that Kenny was seeking to nurture will never get a chance to bloom and us Irish will be put in our box and how dare we try and embrace a game most other countries are now efficiant at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

How?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Really I think we are similar in terms of result . as I said as bad but a different kind of bad

I know your all sick of hearing it but we need 2 CF's , We playing nice football with 4 3 3 but we are not getting enough people in the box,

Goals have been and will be our problem for the foreseeable

Itsallbaoutgetitngt
    I admire Kenny for having the courage of his convictions to play a more easy on the eye passing game and it is better to watch than some of the route one football played under previous managers.

Is it all about getting to major tournaments for a big jolly up every few years if the football on display is a hard watch? For me it's not. I'd rather we embrace this new style and try and create a culture of better ball players with more attention to skill, touch and creativity.

My worry is things wont go too well for Stephen and whenever he departs we will get a new big name foreign coach in once again who will consign all this 'passing and possession' football to the past and revert to the old 'up and at em' and 'put em under pressure' football that everyone outside of our island seems to think is all we are capable or good at. And the green chutes and seeds that Kenny was seeking to nurture will never get a chance to bloom and us Irish will be put in our box and how dare we try and embrace a game most other countries are now efficiant at?

Its about getting to tournaments END OF !!!!!!!!

Regardless of how the senior team play I don't buy into creating a culture of how to play for younger players,

Most of our under 21 and senior players don't play in the country, they learn how to play and learn from the culture at there clubs,

For me Senir football is about using what you have to maximum the chance of getting results,

If you want to change the culture of Irish football you start with the kids up and down the country , School's of excellence and so on, It won't start with the Senior level

Itsallbaoutgetitngt

Its about getting to tournaments END OF !!!!!!!!

Regardless of how the senior team play I don't buy into creating a culture of how to play for younger players,

Most of our under 21 and senior players don't play in the country, they learn how to play and learn from the culture at there clubs,

For me Senir football is about using what you have to maximum the chance of getting results,

If you want to change the culture of Irish football you start with the kids up and down the country , School's of excellence and so on, It won't start with the Senior level

I agree. That's what needs to happen.

sugarman wrote: »
    Such rubbish, ALL football is about results. Players get to know management over the windows and learn to know what they want and expect from them in their certain roles within a system. They don't just suddenly forget it all the very minute they leave camp.

There certainly is less time to be chopping and changing and introducing a complex system. It's why most international teams play a basic 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1 because they don't have the time to be working on the likes of 3-5-2.

Kenny isn't doing anything revolutionary or complicated here. No more than Mick was. They both picked basic shapes and systems with defined roles for players and stuck with it throughout.

Mick's was 4-2-3-1 with emphasis on defense to sit deep and take our chances on the break and from set plays. He wanted a target man to hold up the ball to allow the midfield to come into play. He wanted balls played out to the wingers to whip crosses into the box for target men to get on the end of.

All Kenny has done build on that by adjusting the shape to 4-3-3 to have the wide men play higher up the field and has allowed everyone more a little more freedom to get forward in general play. To hold onto the ball a little better and to use it a little better. Nothing exactly too complex.

By the end of this window our players will have had 5 games in 5 weeks with him. In an average season pre Covid, that would be the same for the majority of our players at thier clubs at this stage of the season who aren't involved in European football.

As for the Trap remark, even Traps system wouldn't work today with the squad we have available. He was heavily reliant on a goal poacher like Keane, a hold up man like Doyle, wingers like McGeady and Duff and a wall of a defense with Dunne and O'Shea at the heart of it.

Your right its not complex at all how can it be in such a short time,
    That's my point its not enough time to really build anything you just have to be pragmatic and take the players you have and try get the best you can from that,

I wasn't having a go at Kenny or any manger, I was saying the notion that the team will drastic improve from one international to the next is nonsense they won't , We will continue to struggle to get goals,

To say 5 games in 5 weeks with International teams is like your average pre-season is nonsense
    Pre-season with clubs they focus on all day every day consecutively what there rolls and jobs are its completely different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Connolly joins Idah back in squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Nunu wrote: »
    Connolly joins Idah back in squad.

if either of them scores they should whip out a measuring tape and measure 2 metres apart and sit on the ground as a celebration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Is this still from the one time you watched him play a year ago for the U21’s, which I think was his second ever game with that team?

He is still quite raw, but would say far from headless. Looks to know exactly what he’s meant to be doing at Southampton.

Really hope he gets a loan deal before the 16th, as Walcott joining Southampton will hurt his playing time.

Well, I would be delighted if he proves me wrong. But, it says a lot that Southampton signed Walcott. I agree he would be better off going down a level to the championship to get game time. It did Brewster no harm. Get the confidence going and the fitness up.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭roverjoyce

Team has to have a few changes - I know we need a result but need to try out 4/5 others and this is not weakening the team

Travers

Doherty - We know want Randolph can do
    Duffy
    O'Shea
    Stevens

Molumby
    Knight
    Hourihane/Hendrick - Either - both have played everything so far

Connolly
    Idah
    Horgan - Impressed off the bench and have to reward form

Really I think we are similar in terms of result . as I said as bad but a different kind of bad

I know your all sick of hearing it but we need 2 CF's , We playing nice football with 4 3 3 but we are not getting enough people in the box,

Goals have been and will be our problem for the foreseeable

Lack of penetrative forward passes is a major problem as well. Has to happen for this style to work.

Only thing is Ireland has no John Giles or Liam Brady. I hope, Ireland get some sort of goal v Finland. Preferably a striker from open play - not a set piece. Badly need it.

Personally I think all this passing from side to side for the sake of it is useless. Idea is to create angles and chances. Then even even if chances are created what is the point if no one finishes them?

I can't see things improving for a long time. Real worry is that commentators and analysts are feeling sorry for Kenny. Tone is of pity, and hope against hope.
    Niall Quinn (forever the optimist) was predicting a flood of Ireland goals once they get one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

roverjoyce wrote: »
    Team has to have a few changes - I know we need a result but need to try out 4/5 others and this is not weakening the team

Travers

Duffy
    O'Shea
    Stevens

Molumby
    Knight

Connolly
    Idah

I'm not sure we've seen enough of Randolph at LB yet to be honest :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

roverjoyce wrote: »

Travers

Duffy
    O'Shea
    Stevens

Molumby
    Knight

Connolly
    Idah

No need to change GK. I'd say Long will start a CB. McCarthy will start as he's stayed with the squad you'd imagine. Think that front 3 will/should start(might go with Brady over Horgan though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Yeah, stick Horgan in, he did well enough off the bench yesterday. Actually dribbled a bit and went at them. Badly needed skills in short supply it would seem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

The benefit of the 'passing from side to side' is the ball is doing the work. One thing I'm interested in seeing is benefit in stamina and less tiredness from increased possession. That probably helped in Extra Time the other night, Ireland finished the game stronger than they may have done with a kick and rush regime.

Didn't win the game for Ireland, we know this, but players should be fresher at the end of matches in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Lack of penetrative forward passes is a major problem as well. Has to happen for this style to work.

Only thing is Ireland has no John Giles or Liam Brady. I hope, Ireland get some sort of goal v Finland. Preferably a striker from open play - not a set piece. Badly need it.

Personally I think all this passing from side to side for the sake of it is useless. Idea is to create angles and chances. Then even even if chances are created what is the point if no one finishes them?

I can't see things improving for a long time. Real worry is that commentators and analysts are feeling sorry for Kenny. Tone is of pity, and hope against hope.
    Niall Quinn (forever the optimist) was predicting a flood of Ireland goals once they get one!

Who?

I've seen nothing but optimism and hope tbh.

So go on, who are the naysayers outside of some of the flutes who have been moaning on here about every little thing since the year dot?

How?

His last stint, we had 8 games, 1 loss, 3 wins and 4 draws. We played 2 teams twice (home and away) who would be a tier above us, in Denmark and Switzerland, and drew 3 out of those 4 games.

Kenny so far has had 4 games, all against team of the same tier as us or lower. 0 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses. Slovakia are awful, just got beaten by Scotland. Bulgaria are atrocious and got well beaten by Hungary during the week. Finland are about the same tier as us and we were useless, same with Bale-less Wales.

• Advertisement

Another positive test. Independent reporting it’s a player & undergoing a retest hoping it’s another false positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Nunu wrote: »
    Another positive test. Independent reporting it’s a player & undergoing a retest hoping it’s another false positive.

Hope it’s not Connolly, or Brighton will never let us have him again!

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Hope it’s not Connolly, or Brighton will never let us have him again!

Definitely not him! It’s from yesterday’s testing he wasn’t around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Thought this was interesting for the 21s

Italy U20 take U21's place against Ireland

https://www.football-italia.net/160473/italy-u20-take-u21s-place-against-ireland

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

My two cents is that we're still in the same position. The one good thing is that more chances have been created this weekend than in the previous two years under McCarthy and particularly the end of the O'Neill era. We just can't finish. I'd be trying other players ahead of Long, Connolly will be available against Finland, so I hope he plays. Dour football is grand when you're winning games. I would love to see Jack Byrne play but I can understand that while we have premier league and championship players, he is going to have to wait. I hope he plays a significant role against Finland. Overall I think nothing has been solved so far, if Mick knew he was going to be in the job for a while, he may have done things differently. Kenny does need time though, if we're not competitive after two years, then it's time to go.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

The benefit of the 'passing from side to side' is the ball is doing the work. One thing I'm interested in seeing is benefit in stamina and less tiredness from increased possession. That probably helped in Extra Time the other night, Ireland finished the game stronger than they may have done with a kick and rush regime.

Didn't win the game for Ireland, we know this, but players should be fresher at the end of matches in general.

"yeah but we didn't win" they shouted from the rooftops.

I'm dying for Wednesday more for the collective aneurysm regardless of the result from the anti-Kenny cohort on here.

Once it's over they can wander back to watching the EPL and they can spare us their gumpf.

I'm dying for Wednesday more for the collective aneurysm regardless of the result from the anti-Kenny cohort on here.

Once it's over they can wander back to watching the EPL and they can spare us their gumpf.

You seem very worked up by a few comments that you don't agree with about the Irish football team.

What's the problem with watching the EPL ?

That where a good lump of our players are playing ?

I don't think see much Anti Kenny on here one or two, ,
    Its just people saying we are as bad as we have been previously ,
    I don't think its the mangers fault ,Its just the level of player we have,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Virgin Media 1 - Tuesday at 2100 .

Champagne Football.

John Delaney spends the FAI's money.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement

You seem very worked up by a few comments that you don't agree with about the Irish football team.

How could you not be wound up when there has been a clear progression from the turgid nonsense of the last decade and a half and people still aren't happy.

Quite simply, if you can't see the positives and progression from Kenny's first game in charge to yesterday and have a hankering for going back to a non-descript "style" that in that last year and a half has produced such wonderful results like a turgid 0-0 with Georgia, then to be quite frank, you're best not watching us at all.

How could you not be wound up when there has been a clear progression from the turgid nonsense of the last decade and a half and people still aren't happy.

Quite simply, if you can't see the positives and progression from Kenny's first game in charge to yesterday and have a hankering for going back to a non-descript "style" that in that last year and a half has produced such wonderful results like a turgid 0-0 with Georgia, then to be quite frank, you're best not watching us at all.[/quote

It's only a game man, relax. I don't get upset over any posters opinions on it. We all see it differently. I think most of us say we're passing it better and a little easirr on the eye so far. A few goals wouldn't go amiss. Maybe we'll unleash hell in Helsinki :)

What's the problem with watching the EPL ?

That where a good lump of our players are playing ?

Obvious point is obvious.
    I don't think see much Anti Kenny on here one or two, ,
    Its just people saying we are as bad as we have been previously ,
    I don't think its the mangers fault ,Its just the level of player we have,

Ah come off it, there's a pile of posters in here since last week who have been making out that we are the worst in the world and if only SK abandoned his attempts to play expansive football and "put it up 'em" then we would have swept all before us.

The time for continuing on as before is over. I'm sick of being told we shouldn't expect to qualify for tournaments on a regular basis or that it's a pipedream to go far in them when we're there.

And the way we played and the systems we had in place thus far that is true, but I'm old enough to recall when getting Iceland in a qualifying group was a gem of a fixture. In fact I'm old enough to remember when getting Turkey in a qualifying group was a gimme.

As said above, the energy levels in ET last Thursday would never have been like that under MMc or MON or Trap. We'd have been out on our feet. The probing for openings was lovely to watch and showed me that there is a lot of merit in chipping away at the inferiority complex because, Jesus, it gets exhausting being told you're crap and will never be good over the years.

It's only a game man, relax. I don't get upset over any posters opinions on it. We all see it differently. I think most of us say we're passing it better and a little easirr on the eye so far. A few goals wouldn't go amiss. Maybe we'll unleash hell in Helsinki :)

I'm perfectly relaxed. It would be better for you to refute what I said rather then a patronising hand on the shoulder platitude.

A few goals of course won't go amiss, but the issue at hand here is progression and clearly there has been some. QED.

Quite simply, if you can't see the positives and progression from Kenny's first game in charge to yesterday and have a hankering for going back to a non-descript "style" that in that last year and a half has produced such wonderful results like a turgid 0-0 with Georgia, then to be quite frank, you're best not watching us at all.

Ok so you think the football is easier on the eye which is fair enough but clear or positive progression is where people will and rightly so argue with you ,

Bulgaria are an absolute awful outfit , You won't play much worse and we drew,

Slovakia with the player they where missing where very limited and we lost,

Not sure how anyone can clan positive progression

As many have said we are still as bad as ever just playing in a different way

Who?

I've seen nothing but optimism and hope tbh.

So go on, who are the naysayers outside of some of the flutes who have been moaning on here about every little thing since the year dot?

I would not call it negatively attacking Kenny and so on. But what I have heard on Virgin Media, Newstalk, and Irish football fan TV seems to be an air of feeling sorry for Kenny. People deep down know the players are not good enough. And it seems to be 'hopeful' optimism type thing. Looking for any chink of light at all, and talking up any vague positive.

I'm perfectly relaxed. It would be better for you to refute what I said rather then a patronising hand on the shoulder platitude.

A few goals of course won't go amiss, but the issue at hand here is progression and clearly there has been some. QED.

Was reading Roy Keane earlier where he said Kenny has his work cut out with this squad as their just not very good. He didn't seem too impressed with recent games so while you and others see progress in games due to more passing and possession many others see no progress in zero wins in that same time and a paltry one goal in four games. I guess it's just how you see it. Time will tell how much improvement really has been made when the World Cup qualifiers come around.

His last stint, we had 8 games, 1 loss, 3 wins and 4 draws. We played 2 teams twice (home and away) who would be a tier above us, in Denmark and Switzerland, and drew 3 out of those 4 games.

Kenny so far has had 4 games, all against team of the same tier as us or lower. 0 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses. Slovakia are awful, just got beaten by Scotland. Bulgaria are atrocious and got well beaten by Hungary during the week. Finland are about the same tier as us and we were useless, same with Bale-less Wales.

Gibraltar first game. Win 1-0 in a tense affair. Randolph has to pull off 2 world class saves to keep us in the game and from going behind.

Georgia 1-0 at home. We played well enough, nothing special.. still took very good set piece to win it. Georgia had 2 chances at the end. One nearly went in.

Denmark 1-1 away. I was at this. Let's be honest we were lucky not to lose 4-0. We were carved open time again especially in 2nd half. The players fought hard and got a good set piece goal. We had a chance near end but it would have been a robbery.

Gibraltar 2-0 at home. Very poor performance but be fair was 4 days after draw with Denmark and most players were thinking of summer holidays

Switzerland 1-1 at home. A gutsy performance but Swiss were definitely better on the ball, but we showed good play and a draw was by no means undeserved considering the results Swiss put up in that last year or so

Georgia. 0-0. Quite simply forgettable and the result that imo.cost us the Euros place. Created nothing after 5 minutes and 0-0 was a fair result for both teams

Swiss 2-0 away.men against boys. Beaten all over the pitch and never looked like scoring. Probably deserved to be 4-0

Denmark 1-1. Our best performance of campaign but all we did was huff and fluffed without getting that killer first goal.

Nothing in that campaign gave us any indication that Mick would have brought us to the Euros. We were not better in the group than we have been in NL and playoff.

We could not score then either. Simply a very average campaign and to think we have gone backwards is not true.

Obvious point is obvious.

Ah come off it, there's a pile of posters in here since last week who have been making out that we are the worst in the world and if only SK abandoned his attempts to play expansive football and "put it up 'em" then we would have swept all before us.

The time for continuing on as before is over. I'm sick of being told we shouldn't expect to qualify for tournaments on a regular basis or that it's a pipedream to go far in them when we're there.

And the way we played and the systems we had in place thus far that is true, but I'm old enough to recall when getting Iceland in a qualifying group was a gem of a fixture. In fact I'm old enough to remember when getting Turkey in a qualifying group was a gimme.

As said above, the energy levels in ET last Thursday would never have been like that under MMc or MON or Trap. We'd have been out on our feet. The probing for openings was lovely to watch and showed me that there is a lot of merit in chipping away at the inferiority complex because, Jesus, it gets exhausting being told you're crap and will never be good over the years.

To be fair most critics of SK on here have been giving decent idea's for there reasoning.

I don't mind his actually style of football but I don't think his formation works for us , I think we need 2 up front and don't have the players to score goals in a 4 3 3 ,

I just feel if we continue to really struggle to score goals that a formation that gets two strikers in and around the box is the obvious solution ,
    That's not unfair or bashing the manger ,

• Advertisement

Ok so you think the football is easier on the eye which is fair enough but clear or positive progression is where people will and rightly so argue with you ,

Bulgaria are an absolute awful outfit , You won't play much worse and we drew,

Slovakia with the player they where missing where very limited and we lost,

Not sure how anyone can clan positive progression

As many have said we are still as bad as ever just playing in a different way

So, from the Bulgaria game to Wales on Sunday you can't see ANY progression in style or execution?

We have 4 games from which to draw conclusions and use as comparators in the SK era.

And I'm trying to avoid jumping on the "we were missing a load of players at short notice" argument. So I won't. So excluding that factor, there has been a clear improvement in general play and style. To say otherwise is delusional.

Extra stamina is not being used. Where is the collective closing down of players when Ireland lose the ball? Not hard to do.

Plus just passing it from side to side without good forward passes makes Ireland really easy to play against. Even an extremely limited side can currently just sit off Ireland. As Ireland pass the ball in the Irish half from side to side causing no trouble. Particularly midfielders, playing the safe ball all the time instead of looking for creative option (where possible) is a waste of time.

I think Ireland just does not have a midfield good enough to play this passing style, and be dangerous to opponents.

Yeah thank god we’ve moved on from turgid 0-0 draws. Luckily we’ve had the spectacular Finland 1 Ireland 0 and the unforgettable Ireland 1 Bulgaria 1. Then two phenomenal 0-0 draws with powerhouses Slovakia and Wales. If Carlsberg did wonderful results, eh?

Yeah thank god we’ve moved on from turgid 0-0 draws. Luckily we’ve had the spectacular Finland 1 Ireland 0 and the unforgettable Ireland 1 Bulgaria 1. Then two phenomenal 0-0 draws with powerhouses Slovakia and Wales. If Carlsberg did wonderful results, eh?

:)

Gibraltar first game. Win 1-0 in a tense affair. Randolph has to pull off 2 world class saves to keep us in the game and from going behind.

Georgia 1-0 at home. We played well enough, nothing special.. still took very good set piece to win it. Georgia had 2 chances at the end. One nearly went in.

Denmark 1-1 away. I was at this. Let's be honest we were lucky not to lose 4-0. We were carved open time again especially in 2nd half. The players fought hard and got a good set piece goal. We had a chance near end but it would have been a robbery.

Gibraltar 2-0 at home. Very poor performance but be fair was 4 days after draw with Denmark and most players were thinking of summer holidays

Switzerland 1-1 at home. A gutsy performance but Swiss were definitely better on the ball, but we showed good play and a draw was by no means undeserved considering the results Swiss put up in that last year or so

Georgia. 0-0. Quite simply forgettable and the result that imo.cost us the Euros place. Created nothing after 5 minutes and 0-0 was a fair result for both teams

Swiss 2-0 away.men against boys. Beaten all over the pitch and never looked like scoring. Probably deserved to be 4-0

Denmark 1-1. Our best performance of campaign but all we did was huff and fluffed without getting that killer first goal.

Nothing in that campaign gave us any indication that Mick would have brought us to the Euros. We were not better in the group than we have been in NL and playoff.

We could not score then either. Simply a very average campaign and to think we have gone backwards is not true.

So as I said. 8 games, 4 against decent opponents and 1 loss. We were 1 goal against the Danes away from qualifying for the Euros.

Kenny has had 4 games against same tier or lower and got 0 wins. Him and Andrews looking gormless on the sideline. He’s another Staunton, but some who talked him up refuse to see that the new emperor has no clothes on.

So, from the Bulgaria game to Wales on Sunday you can't see ANY progression in style or execution?

We have 4 games from which to draw conclusions and use as comparators in the SK era.

And I'm trying to avoid jumping on the "we were missing a load of players at short notice" argument. So I won't. So excluding that factor, there has been a clear improvement in general play and style. To say otherwise is delusional.

Not sure what you where watching Sunday but to me it was a game with two teams half interested that ended 0-0 .

Ye we missed players but so did they, Wales are a complexly different side with & without Bale,

Improvement in style means nothing without an improvement in results ,

• Advertisement

So as I said. 8 games, 4 against decent opponents and 1 loss. We were 1 goal against the Danes away from qualifying for the Euros.

Kenny has had 4 games against same tier or lower and got 0 wins. Him and Andrews looking gormless on the sideline. He’s another Staunton, but some who talked him up refuse to see that the new emperor has no clothes on.

Well with lot more luck being on Micks side and still failed

Well with lot more luck being on Micks side and still failed

Yeah, I missed the game where Mick could have got to a playoff final and the already poor opponents lost their only three decent players in the days beforehand.

If only Kenny could get a stroke of luck like that.

I think you'd be better served by not watching Ireland then. Why flagellate yourself with such monotony and turgid shíte?

I think you'd be better served by not watching Ireland then. Why flagellate yourself with such monotony and turgid shíte?

Well we’re 4 games closer to Kenny getting the boot, so that keeps me going.

Well we’re 4 games closer to Kenny getting the boot, so that keeps me going.

The absolute state of that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement