Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

It baffles me how anyone can be so anti-any particular manager of a team they support this early into a reign. I have supported every manager from Mccarthy first spell all the way through to now, wanting each and every one of them to do well because at the end of the day I want Ireland to win matches and get to tournaments. There have come points where I've lost faith in managers (end of Trap and MON eras) but how can someone have lost faith in Kenny already? It's clear they just have an agenda and want him to fail from out outset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Apparently this is all constructive criticism as well.

Well we’re 4 games closer to Kenny getting the boot, so that keeps me going.

Your reason for watching Irish games is to hope the manager gets sacked?

Obviously then you hope we lose.

Which is fair enough, but it's just a bit of a wind up on a thread of Irish supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Irish Examiner reporting no other player deemed a close contact of latest positive test.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40063478.html?type=amp&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

It's actually surprised me how quickly the team have adapted from total hoof ball to putting it on the deck when possible.
    There were actually times the other night against Slovakia we looked positively composed on the ball.
    We still can't score and look blunt as can be in attack but we've looked that way for a long time now. We went through an entire qualifying campaign under Mick where our big centre backs forehead was our main attacking threat.

Kenny's brief is relatively simple, Foster a more modern progressive approach in the way we play and bring through some young players.
    It's early days but it looks like the players are buying into it anyway which is promising although ultimately unless a decent goal scorer materialises for us over the next 2 years or so we're probably going no where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Your reason for watching Irish games is to hope the manager gets sacked?

Obviously then you hope we lose.

Which is fair enough, but it's just a bit of a wind up on a thread of Irish supporters.

No I want Ireland to win. I’ve seen nothing from Kenny to show that that’s gonna happen any time soon. He’s out of his depth. And Andrews too. Sooner he’s gone the sooner we get someone competent in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

You can only play whats in front of you but as other posters have highlighted our opposition so far under Kenny has been pretty poor to say the least.

I'll reserve real judgement on how the team are progressing when we meet some top countries with World Cup qualifying to play for. It will be interesting to see if teams willl allow us the same time on the ball as we've been afforded in these pretty boring Nations League games which are played at a near snails pace. These games are mere shadow boxing for when the real show comes to town.

You can only play whats in front of you but as other posters have highlighted our opposition so far under Kenny has been pretty poor to say the least.

I'll reserve real judgement on how the team are progressing when we meet some top countries with World Cup qualifying to play for. It will be interesting to see if teams willl allow us the same time on the ball as we've been afforded in these pretty boring Nations League games which are played at a near snails pace. These games are mere shadow boxing for when the real show comes to town.

Like the Slovakia game? You know that was a play off game, and not a NL (shadow boxing) game, right?

No I want Ireland to win. I’ve seen nothing from Kenny to show that that’s gonna happen any time soon. He’s out of his depth. And Andrews too. Sooner he’s gone the sooner we get someone competent in.

Right, and when did you come to that conclusion?

Was it before or after the Bulgaria match?

---

And who would you get in now to replace SK? I'm sure you have a list of progressive managers in the lower reaches in England who ya think can do the job?

Roy Keane must have an issue with Andrews as he called him out to be one of the biggest bluffers out there. I like Andrews met him before and is a sound lad. Not sure of his coaching capabilities, though. Early days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yeah, I missed the game where Mick could have got to a playoff final and the already poor opponents lost their only three decent players in the days beforehand.

If only Kenny could get a stroke of luck like that.

I must have missed where Mick had all those players out through covid and had 2 chances instead of 1 to qualify :rolleyes:

So if people want Kenny out, who should we get in?

Someone with Ian Barraclough, Michael O'Neill or Paul Cook's pedigree would be my choice.

Like the Slovakia game? You know that was a play off game, and not a NL game, right?

I do know yes. I said it on here few times already that this is not the strong Slovakian team of old. One of their football journalists said as much pre match. They were also down 3 or 4 of their top players and playing in an empty stadium. And we lost anyway.

So i'm reserving judgement for big World Cup qualifying games against strong opposition with the possibility of crowds back at games.

I do know yes. I said it on here gew times already that this is not the strong Slovakian team of old. One of their football journalists said as much pre match. They were also down 3 or 4 of their top players and playing in an empty stadium. And we lost anyway.

So i'm reserving judgement for big World Cup qualifying games against strong opposition with the possibility of crowds back at games.

Ah yes, we weren't missing players either and we didn't have to deal woth the baying masses of the Slovak faithful.

And sure didn't we draw?

Right, and when did you come to that conclusion?

Was it before or after the Bulgaria match?

---

And who would you get in now to replace SK? I'm sure you have a list of progressive managers in the lower reaches in England who ya think can do the job?

I would have stuck with Mick. If he hadn’t Delaneys “legacy” waiting to take over I think he would have started blooding youngsters earlier. Other than that Hughton was available until a week ago. Allardyce is renowned for making the unit better than its parts and as an outside shout the Cowley brothers are free too. But then again, I wouldn’t limit myself to the “lower reaches of England”.

Someone with Ian Barraclough, Michael O'Neill or Paul Cook's pedigree would be my choice.

The same manager who lost 1-5 to Norway at home. He be out door faster than you can say virus

I would have stuck with Mick. If he hadn’t Delaneys “legacy” waiting to take over I think he would have started blooding youngsters earlier

Right, so he would have blooded youngsters and then what? We don't qualify for Euro2020 as has happened and you and your ilk come on here and "shout, it's a disgrace, need to go with proven internationals blah blah blah".

If Kenny "bloods some youngsters" would that not satisfy you?

Or is the fact that he has played such aging veterans like O'Dowda, Horgan and Doherty in his teams that has wound you up.

If SK throws in a load of youngsters on Wednesday and we get walloped, would you be happy as new blood is something that you want to see?
    Other than that Hughton was available until a week ago. Allardyce is renowned for making the unit better than its parts and as an outdoor shout the Cowley brothers are free too. But then again, I wouldn’t limit myself to the “lower reaches of England”.

In my post I was going to ask "which allardyce-like coach you would take. But figured we had all moved on form getting the likes of Big Sam in.

Clearly not.

You're an absolute bengal-lancer. No point engaging with you on this subject.

Right, so he would have blooded youngsters and then what? We don't qualify for Euro2020 as has happened and you and your ilk come on here and "shout, it's a disgrace, need to go with proven internationals blah blah blah".

In my post I was going to ask "which allardyce-like coach you would take. But figured we had all moved on form getting the likes of Big Sam in.

Clearly not.

You're an absolute bengal-lancer. No point engaging with you on this subject.

Bengal lancer?

The fcuking neck on me having a different opinion to you!!

See that crystal ball where Mick doesn’t qualify, will you check it there to see how much longer Kenny lasts??

• Advertisement

Bengal lancer?

Chancer. Not a Dunphy fan? You would never have guessed tbh given you're as contrary.

Differing opinions are fine, it's just that yours doesn't even hold up to the most basic scrutiny. You're a cod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Bengal lancer?

See that crystal ball where Mick doesn’t qualify, will you check it there to see how much longer Kenny lasts??

We should have already been qualified under Mick. It’s ridiculous that we needed a playoff from the position we were in at the start.

We should have already been qualified under Mick. It’s ridiculous that we needed a playoff from the position we were in at the start.

And if we had qualified early on we could have blooded all of those youngsters that SK is failing to give a chance to.

So yeah, Kenny out!

Denmark and Switzerland are both well better than us. We finished par. Third seed and came third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭eire4

The utter farce that is playing international football at the moment continues. A second Irish player has tested positive. No word yet on who and how many close contacts will be ruled out now for Finland but really at this point this is just ridiculous.

I'm obviously not anti Kenny but I'll give you a good laugh. A group chat I'm in over the weekend was having a similar conversation to this one, one of the lads stated he wanted Kenny gone ASAP. When asked who would he like to get the job instead his list included; Niall Quinn, Steve Staunton, Roy Keane, Damien Duff, Robbie Keane and Brian Kerr. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭RonanG86

I wonder will Roy Keane ever manage in football again.

His primary attribute appears to be shouting at average players, in the hope that if he does it enough it'll make them into good ones. His 'honesty' as a pundit probably won't endear too many CEOs to the idea of hiring him. And being assistant to O'Neill, who decided to regress his tactics to caveman football sometime in 2017, probably hasn't helped his reputation either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭briany

There will always be a cadre of 'fans' who want a manager sacked after pretty much their first negative result of consequence. This, of course, is impractical and unrealistic. Any proper manager should be given at least one full campaign to assess their performance. Kenny was parachuted in at the tail-end of one, which although I don't really think that was the right call from the FAI, I don't think that should reflect badly on Kenny.

Anyway, the biggest problem facing the team right now is the lack of a goalscorer and a playmaker. Tactics will only get you so far - on the pitch you need someone with an eye for a pass, and you need someone with an eye for goal. The team's chronic lack of a playmaker has been dealt with by the preceding couple of managers through defensive organisation and set piece work. If Kenny's intent on playing a passing game, he can't really rely on that route so much. He needs canny lads to make his approach truly effective.

The great irony, here, is that Kenny's tenure could end with calls to return to the route one football so many were complaining about in the first place, because the great truth of competitive football is that the only thing that matters is the result. That's it, end of. Whatever style of play gets you the best results is the one which should be played. But they'll complain either way... and expertly dance around the fact that the Irish system isn't really producing the players necessary, and that's a ground up problem. Maybe now that the FAI is run by someone not intent on using the organisation as his own personal ATM, we could see the fruition of good work done at grass roots level, but we'll have to be a bit patient.

briany wrote: »
    There will always be a cadre of 'fans' who want a manager sacked after pretty much their first negative result of consequence. This, of course, is impractical and unrealistic. Any proper manager should be given at least one full campaign to assess their performance. Kenny was parachuted in at the tail-end of one, which although I don't really think that was the right call from the FAI, I don't think that should reflect badly on Kenny.

Anyway, the biggest problem facing the team right now is the lack of a goalscorer and a playmaker. Tactics will only get you so far - on the pitch you need someone with an eye for a pass, and you need someone with an eye for goal. The team's chronic lack of a playmaker has been dealt with by the preceding couple of managers through defensive organisation and set piece work. If Kenny's intent on playing a passing game, he can't really rely on that route so much. He needs canny lads to make his approach truly effective.

The great irony, here, is that Kenny's tenure could end with calls to return to the route one football so many were complaining about in the first place, because the great truth of competitive football is that the only thing that matters is the result. That's it, end of. Whatever style of play gets you the best results is the one which should be played. But they'll complain either way... and expertly dance around the fact that the Irish system isn't really producing the players necessary, and that's a ground up problem. Maybe now that the FAI is run by someone not intent on using the organisation as his own personal ATM, we could see the fruition of good work done at grass roots level, but we'll have to be a bit patient.

Patience is the key no question because this is a ground up as you say problem that will take years to solve. There is no quick fixes given how long the FAI have neglected the fostering of the proper underage structures and facilities to ensure a steady stream of quality players coming through. Kenny may or may not be the man who can spearhead the national team in this transitional period but he certainly needs time and there are going to be a lot of grumpy and unhappy Irish fans for quite some years to come because for sure this team will not be qualifying for the next World Cup Finals either IMHO. But as long as clear progress is being made on and off the field in terms of the proper structures then Kenny deserves a shot at this project. But I certainly do not envy him because he is going to be pilloried by many as we are seeing already.

sugarman wrote: »
    Our squad for the Finland game has to be one the youngest we've have in 20 years. Only 3 players over the age of 30. Randolph (33), Long (33) and Stevens (30).

He needs to blood more young players I think.

eire4 wrote: »
    Patience is the key no question because this is a ground up as you say problem that will take years to solve. There is no quick fixes given how long the FAI have neglected the fostering of the proper underage structures and facilities to ensure a steady stream of quality players coming through. Kenny may or may not be the man who can spearhead the national team in this transitional period but he certainly needs time and there are going to be a lot of grumpy and unhappy Irish fans for quite some years to come because for sure this team will not be qualifying for the next World Cup Finals either IMHO. But as long as clear progress is being made on and off the field in terms of the proper structures then Kenny deserves a shot at this project. But I certainly do not envy him because he is going to be pilloried by many as we are seeing already.

And this is the thing, you would swear that we have been qualifying for WCs with such regularity that returning to our old ways would prove instantly successful.

Since our last WC we have only qualified for 2 European championships and with the extra teams since 2016, it's now almost harder to NOT qualify. I mean, who are these muppets that think that after 4 matches in the middle of a pandemic, with next to no prep and having a squad decimated by social distancing rules, actually think that is long enough to judge SK.

And not only that, think the likes of Sam Allardyce is the answer.

• Advertisement

And this is the thing, you would swear that we have been qualifying for WCs with such regularity that returning to our old ways would prove instantly successful.

Since our last WC we have only qualified for 2 European championships and with the extra teams since 2016, it's now almost harder to NOT qualify. I mean, who are these muppets that think that after 4 matches in the middle of a pandemic, with next to no prep and having a squad decimated by social distancing rules, actually think that is long enough to judge SK.

And not only that, think the likes of Sam Allardyce is the answer.

Totally agree with you there.

Plus with covid cases springing up all over the place now and another round of internationals still to come in November these games are fast becoming an utter farce at best and IMHO a problem and a reckless treatment of the health of the players, coaches and officials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

briany wrote: »

Spot on, can only be patient now no point panicking. Give Kenny his full term and see what happens. Only way is up. Well not up sideways! But you know what I mean!

Reading your post makes me think of what an underrated coach Jack Charlton was - a direct simple style with a plan. Not just hoof it and hope. Instead get it in the corners as quickly as possible. Making the opposition defenders turn. Give the opposition no time on the ball. They call it gegenpressing now!

Plus Jack liked to play a defender in midfield, so if a fella got in trouble a midfielder with a defenders instinct could drop back. Simple and pragmatic.

MON and Trap ended up being the poor man's Charlton team - with lesser players so were less effective.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Nunu wrote: »

Now being reported as another false positive after a retest. Kenny’s head must be wrecked.

Collie D wrote: »
    Now being reported as another false positive after a retest. Kenny’s head must be wrecked.

Madness at this stage. It would make you wonder how accurate the tests actually are. At least there doesn't appear to be any close contacts to this test so it's not as if five players will miss out again.

Madness at this stage. It would make you wonder how accurate the tests actually are. At least there doesn't appear to be any close contacts to this test so it's not as if five players will miss out again.

* screams in weldondinho *

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Absolutely.

2 players needlessly missed the Slovakia game.

5 more, so 7 in total missed the Wales game.

2 u21s players have been needlessly called up from their squad who were already in Italy ahead of their big match tomorrow.

Now I presume those 5 players from Sunday will be cleared to travel to Finland tomorrow. Meaning we've an inflated squad of 29 by my count, with u21s players likely to not even feature.

Disaster to prep for games.

5 players won't be cleared as there was 1 player with confirmed covid after retest.

1 staff member last week false positive and another player now with what appears to be same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think this second false positive could be a lot bigger than the Irish football team. It's 200/1 to get a false positive but they managed to get 2 within the same group of people. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Aah! Their wording confused me. I thought they were saying the second positive test was a false positive. Not a second players positive test was a false positive (aka the third overall).

So 24 players are traveling then. Grand.

Well providing this player tests negative again then yeah who's there now travels.

Its a strange situation. Has to be question marks over these uefa tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I would have stuck with Mick. If he hadn’t Delaneys “legacy” waiting to take over I think he would have started blooding youngsters earlier. Other than that Hughton was available until a week ago. Allardyce is renowned for making the unit better than its parts and as an outside shout the Cowley brothers are free too. But then again, I wouldn’t limit myself to the “lower reaches of England”.

Allardyce hahahhaha :D

**** me, if I didn’t already know you hadn’t the foggiest, that certainly would have confirmed it.

Or maybe you’re just being contrary for the sake of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What's the story with the under 21s in regards qualifying ??

Were playing Italy, Iceland and Luxembourg too finish our campaign but no points are awarded for the Luxembourg game. So is **** or bust for us against Italy ?

Italy are still going to be strong no matter what squad of players tomorrow

The under 21s qualifying would soften the blow of missing out on the senior Euros

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭bren2001

PTH2009 wrote: »

Were playing Italy, Iceland and Luxembourg too finish our campaign but no points are awarded for the Luxembourg game. So is **** or bust for us against Italy ?

The under 21s qualifying would soften the blow of missing out on the senior Euros

Top 5 second placed teams qualify as well. Beat iceland or Italy and they are likely to qualify.

And we're playing the Italian U20s now so you'd hope we'd fare a bit better.

bren2001 wrote: »
    Top 5 second placed teams qualify as well. Beat iceland or Italy and they are likely to qualify.

hopefully they do, is the game on Eir Sport tomorrow ??

The away loss too Iceland was a setback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Their u20s are incredibly strong, almost all of them have first team appearances in Serie A and they finished 4th in the u20 World Cup last year.

They've also included 4 u21 players who weren't in their original squad. Crutone, Ricci, Sottil and Tonali. All who have been Serie A regulars for some time and already won senior caps for their country.

It'll be a very tough test for us missing the core of the squad that has got us to this point. Parrot, Connolly, Idah, Travers, Kelleher, O'Shea, Knight and Molumby all missing.

Tonali is like the reincarnation of Pirlo. Be a good test for the 21s.
    hopefully they do, is the game on Eir Sport tomorrow ??

The away loss too Iceland was a setback

Not on TV unfortunately it doesn't seem. Shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Tonali is like the reincarnation of Pirlo. Be a good test for the 21s.

Not on TV unfortunately it doesn't seem. Shame.

You'll need a VPN but think there's an Italian station, Rai 2 where you can stream it online.

fullstop wrote: »
    Allardyce hahahhaha :D

**** me, if I didn’t already know you hadn’t the foggiest, that certainly would have confirmed it.

Or maybe you’re just being contrary for the sake of it...

He’s a track record of making a team better than the sum of it’s parts no? Notice you didn’t comment on any of the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Listening to big Mick doing commentary makes me glad he's nowhere near the team. He really does have a very inflexible old school way of playing.

He’s a track record of making a team better than the sum of it’s parts no? Notice you didn’t comment on any of the others.

You said you only watch the Irish team in the hope we lose so Kenny will be turfed out.

I guess it's a valid - if rather depressing - reason to watch your own country play. But if, say, Allardyce comes in and doesn't turn it around, again do you watch in the hope we lose?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I don't understand this wanting to lose to oust the manager. If the next manager was Declan Rice with Jack Grealish as assistant, I would want them to win.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

Watching highlights from past under 21 games and the worrying thing is were missing a few quality players through injury and other

The other is a bit of a would ya rather a kick in the balls or kick in the head scenario as there now in the senior squad but possibly sitting on the bench. Then were happy to see them progressing so quickly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement