Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

sugarman wrote: »
    Second false negative players retest has shown a positive result on retest.

They're now out of the game and must self isolate. There were no close contacts however.

What a mess. Any idea who it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Thankfully it's just one player, unless it's Shane Duffy as who else bar O'Shea is an actual CB in the squad? And last thing the U21s need is more players pulled from their squad to fill out the senior squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Second false negative players retest has shown a positive result on retest.

They're now out of the game and must self isolate. There were no close contacts however.

Has this whole episode make anyone lose alot of confidence in the accuracy of these tests.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You said you only watch the Irish team in the hope we lose so Kenny will be turfed out.

I guess it's a valid - if rather depressing - reason to watch your own country play. But if, say, Allardyce comes in and doesn't turn it around, again do you watch in the hope we lose?

No I didn’t. The last resort of someone with no argument. Making stuff up. Pathetic.

No I didn’t. The last resort of someone with no argument. Making stuff up. Pathetic.

Now now. At least have the courage to stand over your points. You were asked why do you watch Ireland at all and you said it was to see Kenny fail.

Direct quotes are great. They really help clear up any confusion as to what was said.
    I think you'd be better served by not watching Ireland then. Why flagellate yourself with such monotony and turgid shíte?
    Well we’re 4 games closer to Kenny getting the boot, so that keeps me going.

• Advertisement

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    if either of them scores they should whip out a measuring tape and measure 2 metres apart and sit on the ground as a celebration

It's amusing to see that the only person who likes Weldoninho celebrating our losses is Wuff Wuff

The man who defended the Connolly and Idah screw up by noting that an airplane has only so many seats. But went quiet when it transpired that they actually sat in the wrong seats and were not told to move. So it was entirely avoidable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I read on fb that it's Jack Byrne.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Now now. At least have the courage to stand over your points. You were asked why do you watch Ireland at all and you said it was to see Kenny fail.

Direct quotes are great. They really help clear up any confusion as to what was said.

Pathetic quoting out of context.

You asked if I wanted Ireland to lose (Post 2831). I responded

"No I want Ireland to win. I’ve seen nothing from Kenny to show that that’s gonna happen any time soon. He’s out of his depth." (Post 2834)

It's in the thread for all to see. Absolutely pathetic. Do you work for The Sun by any chance??

Pathetic quoting out of context.

You asked if I wanted Ireland to lose. I responded

"No I want Ireland to win. I’ve seen nothing from Kenny to show that that’s gonna happen any time soon. He’s out of his depth."

It's in the thread for all to see. Absolutely pathetic. Do you work for The Sun by any chance??

"But...but...but...I then tried to dig out of the hole by saying I wanted to see Ireland win".

Context? Someone asked why do you watch Ireland at all. I quoted your entire post directly. Have the tiny bit of backbone needed to at least stand over your own comments.

You want to see Ireland lose and Kenny fail. You said its what keeps you watching games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

how about you lot keep the d1ck measuring contest for After hours ? ......... jesus chr1st almighty ....... children.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I read on fb that it's Jack Byrne.

Must be true so.

"But...but...but...I then tried to dig out of the hole by saying I wanted to see Ireland win".

Context? Someone asked why do you watch Ireland at all. I quoted your entire post directly. Have the tiny bit of backbone needed to at least stand over your own comments.

You want to see Ireland lose and Kenny fail. You said its what keeps you watching games.

More lies, i've always watched games. Someone else said I should stop if as it was self-flagellation and i said knowing Kenny would be gone soon gives me some comfort, apologies if English isn't your first language. You're a parody of yourself now.

I want to see Kenny gone and Ireland succeeding. He's already cost us €9m+. The emperor has no clothes. Goals win games. Passing it side to side and back and forwards between defense and midfield isn't conducive to scoring goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    aw Conor, nice to know youre still thinking of me, no matter how pathetic your post makes you seem :o

More lies, i've always watched games. Someone else said I should stop if as it was self-flagellation and i said knowing Kenny would be gone soon gives me some comfort, apologies if English isn't your first language. You're a parody of yourself now.

I want to see Kenny gone and Ireland succeeding. He's already cost us €9m+. The emperor has no clothes. Goals win games. Passing it side to side and back and forwards between defense and midfield isn't conducive to scoring goals.

Any chance you lads can take it to a PM and we can focus on the game tomorrow evening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

We have a team with an average squad of players.
    Our manager is a League of Ireland winner.

What could go wrong?

We have terrible strikers... everyone of them.
    Obafemi? Idah ? Long? rubbish.
    McGoldrick ? Robinson? .... not much better.

Yes, we are playing better quality football, but still have sub standard strikers to try score goals.

Since Sept 2018.
    20 games played - 16 goals for, 15 goals against.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Any chance you lads can take it to a PM and we can focus on the game tomorrow evening?

MOD: Great Idea.

The thread has become unreadable.

Thread bans and warnings are going to follow for further uncivil posting.

Any posters repeating the same point over and over without adding to the conversation will be regarded as intentionally disrupting the thread.

Remember posters are entitled to maintain a view that might not be popular, once they make an effort to argue cogently and coherently in support of their argument.

All have a responsibility to ensure that they contribute in a positive manner, that does not mean posters have to agree with everyone else but posters must avoid deliberate disruption of the forum.

As international games are ongoing - please post about Delaney and Champagne Football – Inside John Delaney’s FAI in the following thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057931201

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

greenspurs wrote: »
    We have a team with an average squad of players.
    Our manager is a League of Ireland winner.

What could go wrong?

We have terrible strikers... everyone of them.
    Obafemi? Idah ? Long? rubbish.
    McGoldrick ? Robinson? .... not much better.

Yes, we are playing better quality football, but still have sub standard strikers to try score goals.

Since Sept 2018.
    20 games played - 16 goals for, 15 goals against.

Obafemi and Idah is a little harsh, give them a little time to develop along with Connolly. Its nice to see players at a young age getting game time in the Premier league.

McGoldrick was great against Slovakia but unfortunately he's not going to bang in goals neither is Robinson.

We are playing better, its an improvement and more enjoyable to watch than what Mccarthy served up. Kenny has one full campaign to embed his ideas, and I think he or anyone appointed to the job deserves at least that before people start losing the plot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

duffman13 wrote: »
    Obafemi and Idah is a little harsh, give them a little time to develop along with Connolly. Its nice to see players at a young age getting game time in the Premier league.

McGoldrick was great against Slovakia but unfortunately he's not going to bang in goals neither is Robinson.

We are playing better, its an improvement and more enjoyable to watch than what Mccarthy served up. Kenny has one full campaign to embed his ideas, and I think he or anyone appointed to the job deserves at least that before people start losing the plot

All the above is very true …….but its also true that currently we can not count on anyone to get a goal which makes all the nice play redundant ,

Unfortunately Kenny may not be in the job long enough to see Idah, Connolly mature to goal scorer's and lets face it he has a personal issues with Obafemi so we won't see him in the squad let alone team when Kenny is there,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

All the above is very true …….but its also true that currently we can not count on anyone to get a goal which makes all the nice play redundant ,

Unfortunately Kenny may not be in the job long enough to see Idah, Connolly mature to goal scorer's and lets face it he has a personal issues with Obafemi so we won't see him in the squad let alone team when Kenny is there,

There is no fear that Kenny won’t get a fair stint in the job. Unless the World Cup qualifiers go completely pear shaped he’ll be in the job for the Euro 2024 qualifying campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

I'm not so sure Kenny has personal issues with Obefemi but even if he does and he improves and does the business consistently in the league I have no doubt he will select him. Too much been made of that for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Bookies still taking no chances on Ireland managing to score a goal tomorrow evening in Helsinki. Reallywe should be somewhere close to even money but Boyles have us at a paltry 2/5. I do think we'll manage to find the onion bag tomorrow though as 4 out 5 games drawing a blank is pretty unthinkable and the law of averages alone would see us getting a break or a bit of luck or perhaps even a good well worked team goal. Either way the team will be desperate for a goal and i think we will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

adaminho wrote: »

Great team on paper

Hopefully a positive result, VPN at the ready ha

adaminho wrote: »

Decent line up, would have been more confident of a result if O'Shea and Knight were involved, but Collins is a decent replacement and Taylor played well last year at national league level before getting a move to Peterborough in January. One things for certain that if he gets the chance he won't be scared of having a pop from outside the box.

Will be interesting to see how Obafemi gets on playing centrally up top as the lone striker and how Smallbone is played on the right. Taylor has also played on the right so could see him and Smallbone possible interchanging in the game.

If we do qualify for the Euros this team still has Parrott, Molumby, Knight, O'Shea, Idah and Connolly to come back along with Travers and Kelleher but Bazunu could push them since his loan move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jack Taylor that's a very English name

Is he another granny rule player?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

PTH2009 wrote: »

his dads from Galway according to his wiki

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

PTH2009 wrote: »

So is Will Smallbone and I think his mother is Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Imagine there could be a time in the distant future where the discussion isn't should we try a passing game Vs sit tight long ball set piece.

We could one day be able to decide which type of passing game suits the players we have!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

Don't let it fool ye, his full name is William Anthony Patrick Smallbone! ..and yes, his mother Mary is indeed Irish. His sister is also Ciara. Very strong Irish connection.

Very true from South Kilkenny, but I've heard that while he's very happy to play for Ireland if England come calling in the future we could well be back in a similar Grealish Rice situation & that came from his cousins in KK

• Advertisement

https://www.the42.ie/smallbone-plays-down-prospect-of-england-switch-ahead-of-ireland-u21-debut-5231582-Oct2020/

Smallbone
    “I’ve always played for Ireland growing up through the age groups,” he said. “I’ve very much only ever been looking forward to play for Ireland. That’s still the same now. I’d love to go into the senior squad.

She [his mother] has loved me playing for Ireland. She’s buzzing and very proud that I can wear this Irish shirt. I was always over as a kid, pretty much every summer, to see my family and my cousins and they are very proud. I love going over to Ireland and seeing them.”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40063646.html
    “My mum has loved me playing for Ireland,” explained Smallbone.

“Being from Kilkenny, she's buzzing and very proud that I can wear this Irish shirt.

My team-mate from Southampton, Thomas O’Connor, is also from Kilkenny and I met up with his family the last time I came over.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Remind me here, is a draw a good result for the 21s or do we need to win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

DM_7 wrote: »

Hopeful we will and would probably be better sticking with us with the options England have. There will always be the question I suppose when they don't come out and categorially say they are never playing for England. It is "played down" versus "ruled out". But he has a closer tie than Rice and Grealish so am hopeful.

I see Italy took the lead just before HT :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Ideally win to control our own fate. Draw means Italy will go ahead of us on goal difference if they win their game in hand.

Losing at the min :mad:

Given that Belgium lost to Moldova a draw would mean we'd be ahead of them for any second place spot, as long as we beat Iceland and Luxembourg.

A scored draw is better for us and would keep us top on head to head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Elbouzedi has that full back on toast. Need to utilize that more. His team mates need to be getting into the box for those crosses.

• Advertisement

Cheers lads. Thought I read something about a score draw being a good result alright. Yeah Elbouzedi has looked threatening, one of Conor Ronans quieter games for us so far.

Elbouzedi has that full back on toast. Need to utilize that more. His team mates need to be getting into the box for those crosses.

Should look to switch Smallbone into the centre and bring on Afolabi out wide. All the Irish attacks are coming down Elbouzedis side and Afolabi would provide pace out on the right hand side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Excellent second Italian goal in fairness. CB could’ve done better, but just top quality movement from Cutrone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

How was that a foul with him running away with the ball. Ridiculous.

And now a yellow.

Frustrating game. The lone striker thing isn't working... first Obafemi, and now Afolabi are treble-marked, and totally isolated. The extra attention on them opens up space between the channels but we've not been good enough to use it. We should be playing around the edge of their box in that space, forcing the CB's to make decisions and open gaps for the wide players and centre-forward to make runs, but instead we're being held firmly at arms length in totally benign spaces.

Shame, as the few times Obafemi dropped (very) deep to actually get on the ball he looked good at stitching things together, but if that's being done at the halfway line instead of in the final third it can't lead to much.

Would've liked to see Afolabi come on to play beside Obafemi for the last 15 minutes instead of replacing him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Beaten by the Italian u20's, good lord just as well we didn't play their first team.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Beaten by the Italian u20's, good lord just as well we didn't play their first team.

Yes, though to be fair, they did have Cutrone, Sottil, Tonali, and Ricci as well.

Sottil scored their first and assisted the second, Cutrone scored the second, and Tonali was running the show in midfield. The dangermen were demonstrably their parachuted in lads. Those main 3 in particular are also all Serie A regulars, and both Tonali and Cutrone have senior caps.

Given how many of our own first choice U-21 players were unavailable due to injury or Senior callups, it was actually reasonably even... if anything they had more of their key men than we did.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yes, though to be fair, they did have Cutrone, Sottil, Tonali, and Ricci as well.

Sottil scored their first and assisted the second, Cutrone scored the second, and Tonali was running the show in midfield. The dangermen were demonstrably their parachuted in lads. Those main 3 in particular are also all Serie A regulars, and both Tonali and Cutrone have senior caps.

Yup, and we were also missing a few starting players, but sure some Irish fans just wanna moan for the sake of moaning.

Hahaha we were missing half a team

Its no surprise who liked your post either.

We played well I thought, Italians were a tad better but good performance and all to play for

Didn't see any of it just knew it was their second team and thought we'd give them a game.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Didn't see any of it just knew it was their second team and thought we'd give them a game.

Alas our 11 was more a 'second team' than theirs. They still had their key U-21 players playing (creating and scoring their goals, and running midfield), while we were missing pretty much all of ours.

Shame, our first choice U-21's against theirs would have been a cracker I think.

People very touchy in here tonight, wasn't even having a go!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

You clearly were.

Tbf the poster has said they were not.

The information about the teams as provided in your previous response was very interesting though.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Tbf the poster has said they were not.

The information about the teams as provided in your previous response was very interesting though.

Tbf I'm not sure how it can be taken as anything but

Tbf I'm not sure how it can be taken as anything but

Just trying to get it back to soccer tbh.

I found it very interesting how many senior games the under 20 Italy team had in certain positions. Big advantage and example of strength of the side.

McCarthy ruled out with an injury. Say that must be Molumby starting anyway. Then two of Hendrick, Hourihane and Cullen in there if Jack Byrne is also out? Knight might even get some game time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement