Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

McCarthy ruled out with an injury. Say that must be Molumby starting anyway. Then two of Hendrick, Hourihane and Cullen in there if Jack Byrne is also out? Knight might even get some game time.

Wasnt Byrne the 2nd positive Covid case? Or was that rumours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Nothing confirmed but that is why I'm expecting him to be out if he is indeed the player with the positive test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Well it wasn't confirmed by the FAI who the player was, not was it reported anywhere. It's only social media rumours that it was Byrne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

sugarman wrote: »
    Just rumors. We wont know for sure until the team sheet is out tomorrow evening but I didnt spot him among the players training in Finland tonight.

Heard myself he's in isolation for 10 days and won't be in the Rovers squad friday either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    Heard myself he's in isolation for 10 days and won't be in the Rovers squad friday either

Ah jaysus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

I heard Kenny gave Byrne covid so he wouldn’t have to play him :)

Haven't seen it posted here and not sure is it legit.

But some fellas was on Off the Ball on Monday(Quinn from some newspaper) and he kept saying that Ireland were in pot 3 for the WC after the last few games, dropped from pot 2 but if they win the Finland game we're back to pot 2.
    Similarly Finland could move to pot 2 with a win.

Not sure if these were the final games to determine that. I took it they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

But some fellas was on Off the Ball on Monday(Quinn from some newspaper) and he kept saying that Ireland were in pot 3 for the WC after the last few games, dropped from pot 2 but if they win the Finland game we're back to pot 2.

Yea was listening to that myself and didn't 100% catch what he meant. I was thinking it might have been whoever finishes last in our Nations League group might go into Pot 3. So i was hoping that would mean Bulgaria as their bottom and still have to come to Dublin. Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,213 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The more I see that Shane Long missed header the other day, the worse it gets.

When was the last time he scored a competitive goal for club or country?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

There are consistent calls for him to play but personally I have seen nothing from him for years. He is happy bench warming at Southampton so does not seem too bothered.
    I remember a time where players would move clubs if not getting game time in case they fell down the international pecking order. Seems some don't really take that into consideration anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

NIMAN wrote: »
    The more I see that Shane Long missed header the other day, the worse it gets.

When was the last time he scored a competitive goal for club or country?

I think he scored at least once last season for Southampton, broke a long run without a goal for them

Wiki says he scored twice in the PL last season and the last time he scored for us was 2016 against Moldova

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    There are consistent calls for him to play but personally I have seen nothing from him for years. He is happy bench warming at Southampton so does not seem too bothered.
    I remember a time where players would move clubs if not getting game time in case they fell down the international pecking order. Seems some don't really take that into consideration anymore.

Got a serious run of games for Southampton last season tbf. Score a few and created a few more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

I think he scored at least once last season for Southampton, broke a long run without a goal for them

Wiki says he scored twice in the PL last season and the last time he scored for us was 2016 against Moldova

His competetive goal rate for ireland isnt great its like 5 in 46 games, a 1 in 9 striker. (36/8 in friendlies)

one thing about Robbie Keane was he was nearly always getting goals, around 50 or so of his were in competetive games. Would love a striker like that in the squad now (as long as hes sat 2 metres apart in his correct seat)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Early weeknight kick off for today's game of 5pm.

Match thread here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058121930

Byrne is out tonight as per Dan McDonnell piece in the Indo today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

This is why Nations League games are important. I've said it before but it annoys me when posters say that these games are glorified friendlies. They are far from it. The Nations League offered a clear path to a playoff spot for the 2022 World Cup. They are also important games for our seeding for the World Cup groups which are based on FIFA World Ranking. Nations League games offer more seeding points than friendlies. The difference between Pot 2 and Pot 3 is potentially huge.

Our poor results so far have potentially made it much more difficult to qualify for the World Cup when it was already going to be a very tough ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

But they are glorified friendlies, Uefa literally replaced friendly games with these games. Next they'll probably look to replace friendlies before tournaments with a mini pre tournament tournament.

As for tonight's game I hope Knight and O'Shea get a start after being pulled from yesterday's game with the U21s.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

But they are glorified friendlies, Uefa literally replaced friendly games with these games. Next they'll probably look to replace friendlies before tournaments with a mini pre tournament tournament.

Can you name me any set of friendlies that offered a playoff spot for the World Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Nations league games don't count as a full cap as far as I recall. So the message FIFA/UEFA send out is that they are lesser matches. They can't have it both ways.

E.g. for future Declan Rice type scenarios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Nations league games don't count as a full cap as far as I recall. So the message FIFA/UEFA send out is that they are lesser matches. They can't have it both ways.

E.g. for future Declan Rice type scenarios.

Can you give a source on that? I don’t think it’s true, and I can’t find anything that backs it up. Players have certainly been called cap-tied after just one Nations League game anyway, like Areola with France.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Can you give a source on that? I don’t think it’s true, and I can’t find anything that backs it up. Players have certainly been called cap-tied after just one Nations League game anyway, like Areola with France.

He won't be able to give a source on it because it's not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Ok I stand corrected. I thought Rice played in a Nations League match for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Obafemi is cap tied after a brief appearance in a NL game v Denmark.

Although for some reason UEFA are changing the guidelines again that you can still switch to play for someone else unless you play 3 competitive games for a country. I don't who or why they came up with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

TheCitizen wrote: »

Although for some reason UEFA are changing the guidelines again that you can still switch to play for someone else unless you play 3 competitive games for a country. I don't who or why they came up with that.

Bigger teams can then get to swoop in even after they have been tied t the smaller team.

So to go back to the Rice situation, even capping him in a competitive intl would have allowed him to use his change to England under this new rule.

It's preposterous tbh and makes a ****e of international football, more than it has been.

I never noted any changes to the "one association change" rule though, the likes of which scuppered Johansen (outside of the passport issue).

TheCitizen wrote: »

Bigger teams can then get to swoop in even after they have been tied t the smaller team.

So to go back to the Rice situation, even capping him in a competitive intl would have allowed him to use his change to England under this new rule.

It's preposterous tbh and makes a ****e of international football, more than it has been.

I never noted any changes to the "one association change" rule though, the likes of which scuppered Johansen (outside of the passport issue).

I quite like that rule actually, and it's more likely to help smaller teams than hurt them.

It's not easy to avail of, specifically so that it can't be taken advantage of easily.

It only applies to players that were capped young, and only received 1 or 2 caps, and who then were not selected for the national team for 3+ years.

So really, it's fantastic for African nations in particular - you see players playing in France, or Spain, or England that impress at 18 and get a cap for 10 minutes in a game... and then don't quite develop and aren't called up again. And that's it, their international career is dead for a decision in their teens where they got caught up in the excitement. This allows them to play for a smaller country that they're also culturally/emotionally/genetically tied to.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Can you name me any set of friendlies that offered a playoff spot for the World Cup?

Do I care, no, not really. You have your opinion and I have mine that they are still glorified friendlies that Uefa are trying to dress up, notice how the weaker teams now aren't offered spots to qualify. Doubt any of us will be changing our minds anytime soon, so rather than derail the thread I'll leave it at that.

I quite like that rule actually, and it's more likely to help smaller teams than hurt them.

It's not easy to avail of, specifically so that it can't be taken advantage of easily.

It only applies to players that were capped young, and only received 1 or 2 caps, and who then were not selected for the national team for 3+ years.

So really, it's fantastic for African nations in particular - you see players playing in France, or Spain, or England that impress at 18 and get a cap for 10 minutes in a game... and then don't quite develop and aren't called up again. And that's it, their international career is dead for a decision in their teens where they got caught up in the excitement. This allows them to play for a smaller country that they're also culturally/emotionally/genetically tied to.

I haven't read the rules in detail but have seen some people say that some players can now be tied to a country through playing U21s games when they reach the age of 21.

So if we qualify for the U21s next March then Smallbone becomes tied to us as he'll be 21 in February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭henke

Yeah it might help some nations and us but I would change it to protect smaller nations losing out to bigger ones as well so that if a player accepts between 1 and 3 caps and is called up a 4th time he is obligated to accept the call and if he doesn't there is some sort of penalty or will not be permitted to switch to a higher ranked nation. eg if a player plays 3 competitive games for Ireland he cannot turn down the 4th and switch to England. If he is not good enough to earn the 4th within a certain window of time then he can switch nation, in this case most likely a lower ranked one. Just thinking out loud they could have a caveat like that to protect smaller nations.

henke wrote: »
    Yeah it might help some nations and us but I would change it to protect smaller nations losing out to bigger ones as well so that if a player accepts between 1 and 3 caps and is called up a 4th time he is obligated to accept the call and if he doesn't there is some sort of penalty or will not be permitted to switch to a higher ranked nation. eg if a player plays 3 competitive games for Ireland he cannot turn down the 4th and switch to England. If he is not good enough to earn the 4th within a certain window of time then he can switch nation, in this case most likely a lower ranked one. Just thinking out loud they could have a caveat like that to protect smaller nations.

I'd leave it as it is to be honest - your amendment is more open to abuse than the current rule, and i'll always favour a human over an organisation. If they capped a kid who was promising, but then ignored him when his development stalled, it's too easy for them to force him into a 5 minute cap 3 years later to lock him in just in case.

It's a big decision for a kid with duel citizenship to make in the first place - once they make the plunge there are only really 2 likely ways in which they're going to leave with this rule. 1) They get capped initially, and then ignored for 3 years. 2) They get capped, and in those first 2 caps, have a "I've made a huge mistake" moment big enough to miss 3 years of international football. That's a hefty enough price in fairness if you're going to force your move that soon.

Again, international football shouldn't be about being as sneaky as possible to hold people hostage. Within reason (which i think this rule firmly falls under) it should respect the individual over the organisation. This rule is a nice balance. I mean, any young player if the organisation so desired, would have been tied forever to Ireland just from the 3 matches this week! It's a low bar.

They'll have to wait three years since their last cap before they can change. So had these rules been in place for Rice he wouldn't have been allowed play for England until summer 2021. Given the talent coming through England now some players will be taking a risk waiting three years to switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭henke

I'd leave it as it is to be honest - your amendment is more open to abuse than the current rule, and i'll always favour a human over an organisation. If they capped a kid who was promising, but then ignored him when his development stalled, it's too easy for them to force him into a 5 minute cap 3 years later to lock him in just in case.

It's a big decision for a kid with duel citizenship to make in the first place - once they make the plunge there are only really 2 likely ways in which they're going to leave with this rule. 1) They get capped initially, and then ignored for 3 years. 2) They get capped, and in those first 2 caps, have a "I've made a huge mistake" moment big enough to miss 3 years of international football. That's a hefty enough price in fairness if you're going to force your move that soon.

Again, international football shouldn't be about being as sneaky as possible to hold people hostage. Within reason (which i think this rule firmly falls under) it should respect the individual over the organisation. This rule is a nice balance. I mean, any young player if the organisation so desired, would have been tied forever to Ireland just from the 3 matches this week! It's a low bar.

Yeah, fair enough points I was thinking out loud quickly how to protect smaller nations been protected but yeah there is more to consider. Ultimately I think these lads should sit out any senior football until they know and at least Grealish did do that. Rice should have done the same or someone older should have had a firm word with him if you take this call up that is it so maybe sit it out for now Declan. Anyway, wont get too concerned on it for now I don't think we have anyone who is imminently about to jump ship.

Yeah, fair enough points I was thinking out loud quickly how to protect smaller nations been protected but yeah there is more to consider. Ultimately I think these lads should sit out any senior football until they know and at least Grealish did do that. Rice should have done the same or someone older should have had a firm word with him if you take this call up that is it so maybe sit it out for now Declan. Anyway, wont get too concerned on it for now I don't think we have anyone who is imminently about to jump ship.

Yeah, like I think that aspect of it will remain the same, with players only taking the plunge when they're ready and sure. Even with this rule offering a way out, that 3 year penalty is a heavy price to pay for a player in demand, so really think its much more likely to be used by players in the international wilderness that are surplus to requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

For the love of God, give us a goal lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cant blame Randolph, cause man has saved us many a time.

Better team again but lacked the cutting edge. Kenny has got one part right but he seriously needs change things up formation wise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Positives again can be taken from the performance. A real pity we didn't take a chance and score a deserved goal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

noodler wrote: »
    Got a serious run of games for Southampton last season tbf. Score a few and created a few more.

26 appearances 2 goals in league with 1 more in the cup. Not good enough for a centre forward. Ings is sleeping well at night with that kind of form. Rarely hit double figures in a season. Last time was 15/16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

On the plus side Ireland have probably been slightly the better side in all three games in general play. Plenty of possession. Not chasing after the ball for 90 minutes.

On the debit side not being able to score any goals is going to hard to overcome for any manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Awful again against. A team lower ranked than us but I'm sure people think it's another "positive performance"

• Advertisement

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Positives again can be taken from the performance. A real pity we didn't take a chance and score a deserved goal.

What positives

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Most of the teams we play would kill to have the pool of players we have.. Majority are seasoned premier league players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

What positives

5/5 moral victories under Kenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Most of the teams we play would kill to have the pool of players we have.. Majority are seasoned premier league players

They can have them.

Stevie Wonder can see 4 3 3 isn't going to get us goals,
    We need 2 up top and we need a formation that allows that

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Awful again against. A team lower ranked than us but I'm sure people think it's another "positive performance"
    5/5 moral victories under Kenny

Mod: note to all, this is a discussion thread. Dismissive and flippant posts like above do not add to discussion so lets avoid more like that. (I appreciate recent history led to above posts)

Please keep posts about the topic and keep it respectful towards members of the forum.

That includes respect for posters who are unhappy with things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

What positives

Some people will look at that game and compile a list of negatives.
    Others will look and see some positives.
    That's just the way it is. I'm certainly not going to try to change anybody's opinion on either as it is normally a futile experience.

That said, I thought we played well in parts, looked the better team for alot of the game and did create chances that we simply did not take. Some days they go in, others they don't.

Anyway, when Kenny actually gets a run of games with a full squad, I think he will make a good team out of these players. I'm confident that they will pass and play better football that many of the more recent managers styles did not allow. Ireland under those managers really produced some turgid performances that sometimes looked like a far off distant relative to football.

Rome wasn't built in a day. He will need to be given time. I will judge him at a later time as a success or a failure. I certainly wouldn't be all doom and gloom and be looking for a replacement, that would be ridiculous in the extreme in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

sugarman wrote: »
    Players being bled in for one.

O'Shea had an excellent debut and looked very composed and assured at all times, had a better game than Duffy IMO.

Molumby looks to be our long term replacement for Whelan/McCarthy. Another very good performance.

Connolly likewise, another good performance and was sorely missed from the other 2 games. Doesnt yet look like he will be the goal scorer we're looking for, but he does look like he will at least be a good Shane Long replacement running and hassling players all day long.

Idah and Knight got on too, not really on long enough to judge but they were eager and looking to do well when they did.

Had it been Mick, we'd probably have seen Richard Keogh back in the squad along with Glenn Whelan, Alan Judge and Scott Hogan.

Molumby isn’t the same type of player as McCarthy/Whelan. He’s a box to box player. Making up stuff isn’t a positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

It's been a very poor start for Kenny, two huge must win games now in November.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

What positives

I didnt feel like killing myself watching pure dross hoofball, constantly giving the ball away cheaply..utterly depressing football. Thats a huge positive for me..i think the goals will come..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

It's been a very poor start for Kenny, two huge must win games now in November.

Calling it a very poor start is harsh given everything he's dealing with. Been slightly disappointing for me with some encouraging signs.

He's, what, 5 games in? I'd give him quite a few more before I'd even start to form a solid opinion.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement