Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

My personal feelings on the Senior International set up.

I’ve had the full gambit of emotions & experience since attending my first game in 1988. Have been to most home games & an average of maybe 2 away games per year. I’ve had moments ranging from ecstatic euphoria to deep despair.

I always back them no matter what brand a manager has them playing, the players never give less than their all. I have to say through all the up & downs there’s always been this dormant exasperation in me at the limits of successive managers trust in their squads they’ve had.

As I sit here this morning after watching our last 3 quick fire internationals, forgetting about all the covid drama, withdrawals etc, I am VERY excited about the future of our team and I cannot wait to get back in a stadium and support this team onto bigger and better things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Mick had Roy Keane, Denis Irwin, Paul McGrath and a host of other premier league players.

players that were regularly making the premier league team of the year too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Look Mick had a very rocky start to his first tenure as Ireland manager. He started very poorly and there were issues over selection and how he was setting us up and using the likes of Keane, etc.

However ultimately it came together throughout the World Cup Campaign and we gave Belgium a battle over two legs.

It's the same thing here: if Kenny makes a fist of qualifying then he'll get the chance to keep going and this rocky start will be forgiven and forgotten. But if the first five games of the qualifying campaign are like this we'll probably have a caretaker manager for the last couple of games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Mick had Roy Keane, Denis Irwin, Paul McGrath and a host of other premier league players.

McGrath was 37, we currently have a host of Premier league players. Micks first squad vs Russia 1996 had 66% of the squad playing PL football. Kennys most recent squad had 65% of it's players playing PL football.

Goalkeepers

Darren Randolph (West Ham United) PL, Caoimhin Kelleher (Liverpool)PL, Mark Travers (Bournemouth).

Defenders

Seamus Coleman (Everton)PL, Matt Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur)PL, Enda Stevens (Sheffield United)PL, Darragh Lenihan (Blackburn Rovers), Shane Duffy (Celtic, on loan from Brighton & Hove Albion), John Egan (Sheffield United)PL, Derrick Williams (Blackburn Rovers).

Midfielders

Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa)PL, James McCarthy (Crystal Palace)PL, Harry Arter (Nottingham Forest), Jeff Hendrick (Newcastle United)PL, Alan Browne (Preston North End, Jayson Molumby (Brighton & Hove Albion)PL, Jack Byrne (Shamrock Rovers), Robbie Brady (Burnley)PL.

Forwards

Callum Robinson (West Bromwich Albion)PL, Callum O’Dowda (Bristol City), James McClean (Stoke City), Aaron Connolly (Brighton & Hove Albion)PL, David McGoldrick (Sheffield United)PL, Adam Idah (Norwich City), Shane Long (Southampton)PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

And? You were going on about how Byrne needs a chance and people shouldn't be using the level he plays at to knock him, but you use the level that some Finnish players are playing at to try knock them just because we've lads that play in the premier league. So what makes Byrne deserving of a chance over premier league players then? If these premier league players should be head and shoulders above lads that play in Norway then why are you advocating for a lad that plays in Ireland, a league worse off than Norway and Cyprus.

Byrne is playing at a lower level than he is capable of, some have said he is the best player to ever play LOI.

• Advertisement

Paul McGrath never played under Mick in a competitive game. He was in his first squad and started Mick's friendly defeats against Russia and the Czech Republic to start his tenure. He then was not part of Mick's next 9 games (including 3 qualifiers) and was brought back for a token friendly appearance in February 97 before announcing his retirement.

The more you know, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

After the last few games I’m really looking forward to the WC campaign. Considering the manner in which Kenny took the job I think the fact that he’s managed to get the team much more comfortable on the ball in a short space of time is impressive, so it’s been fairly frustrating that we haven’t been able to back that up with a few goals.

But I remember after Trap was appointed, after the complete shambles that was the team under Staunton, I was similarly impressed with how he managed to get the team organised and difficult to beat. What I hoped at the time that that was the beginning of the process, and the team would evolve and improve from there. Trap, however, thought defensive solidity was our ceiling, and the team stagnated. We got a few good results, but 1 game aside, which was a complete outlier to the rest of the performances, there wasn’t many memorable matches.

Right now with Kenny, we are at the start of the process. The difference between him and Trap and O’Neill, I hope, is that the process continues to show improvement. I think it will, and ultimately I think our qualification campaign will be more engaging(and dare I say it, entertaining) than what we’ve had in the recent past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Nunu wrote: »
    My personal feelings on the Senior International set up.

I’ve had the full gambit of emotions & experience since attending my first game in 1988. Have been to most home games & an average of maybe 2 away games per year. I’ve had moments ranging from ecstatic euphoria to deep despair.

I always back them no matter what brand a manager has them playing, the players never give less than their all. I have to say through all the up & downs there’s always been this dormant exasperation in me at the limits of successive managers trust in their squads they’ve had.

As I sit here this morning after watching our last 3 quick fire internationals, forgetting about all the covid drama, withdrawals etc, I am VERY excited about the future of our team and I cannot wait to get back in a stadium and support this team onto bigger and better things.

Well said. Things are looking up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Byrne is playing at a lower level than he is capable of, some have said he is the best player to ever play LOI.

:D:D:D GTF. What has done exactly to achieve that?

He has won an FAI cup and a league title with an asterisk beside it.

He hasn't single handedly dominated a game against Dundalk. He has hardly even played that well against Dundalk. Mentioning Dundalk here as they have obviously been the best team in the league for years. You are kidding yourself if you think doing it against even Bohs accounts for much. He may be a step above your average LOI player and he may be having a good season but not a patch on some of the seasons had by Richie Towell or Daryl Horgan. I think his team mate Ronan Finn has had better seasons than him and excelled in multiple European games.

Coming deep in a LOI game and spraying beautiful long passes does look good though.

Having said that, I would have liked to have seen him get some time in some of the previous games. I think he could be more useful than Jeff Hendrick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Raoul wrote: »
    :D:D:D GTF. What has done exactly to achieve that?

He has won an FAI cup and a league title with an asterisk beside it.

He hasn't single handedly dominated a game against Dundalk. He has hardly even played that well against Dundalk. Mentioning Dundalk here as they have obviously been the best team in the league for years. You are kidding yourself if you think doing it against even Bohs accounts for much. He may be a step above your average LOI player and he may be having a good season but not a patch on some of the seasons had by Richie Towell or Daryl Horgan. I think his team mate Ronan Finn has had better seasons than him and excelled in multiple European games.

Coming deep in a LOI game and spraying beautiful long passes does look good though.

Having said that, I would have liked to have seen him get some time in some of the previous games. I think he could be more useful than Jeff Hendrick.

Ah cmon now,

you must not have seen his last 2 games against Dundalk :confused:

hes not the best LOI player ever by any stretch of the imaginiation, but he is a very good LOI player.

and as far as i can see theres no asterisk beside the LOI table

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    Ah cmon now,

hes not the best LOI player ever by any stretch of the imaginiation, but he is a very good LOI player.

When I saw him in person against Dundalk last season he wasn't anything spectacular, but this season and in Europe, you can see that he has something more than any other Irish midfielder. I really hope he doesn't end up going to a lower league English or Scottish team. Mainland Europe would be a good move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

When I saw him in person against Dundalk last season he wasn't anything spectacular, but this season and in Europe, you can see that he has something more than any other Irish midfielder. I really hope he doesn't end up going to a lower league English or Scottish team. Mainland Europe would be a good move.

When he was with City he had a period on loan with Cambuur in the Eredivisie and from my recollection of then he was by far their best player in a season where they got relegated and he got or got close to getting POTY.

He then went back to City and they shuffled him off to Wigan and Blackburn.

He had a decent period at Oldham as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

So, does the Nations League have an impact on WC qualification like it does for Euro's?

And if so, pretty sure it can't be a backdoor for us now and we will have to qualify by the traditional route

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

McGrath was 37, we currently have a host of Premier league players. Micks first squad vs Russia 1996 had 66% of the squad playing PL football. Kennys most recent squad had 65% of it's players playing PL football.

Goalkeepers

Darren Randolph (West Ham United) PL, Caoimhin Kelleher (Liverpool)PL, Mark Travers (Bournemouth).

Defenders

Seamus Coleman (Everton)PL, Matt Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur)PL, Enda Stevens (Sheffield United)PL, Darragh Lenihan (Blackburn Rovers), Shane Duffy (Celtic, on loan from Brighton & Hove Albion), John Egan (Sheffield United)PL, Derrick Williams (Blackburn Rovers).

Midfielders

Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa)PL, James McCarthy (Crystal Palace)PL, Harry Arter (Nottingham Forest), Jeff Hendrick (Newcastle United)PL, Alan Browne (Preston North End, Jayson Molumby (Brighton & Hove Albion)PL, Jack Byrne (Shamrock Rovers), Robbie Brady (Burnley)PL.

Forwards

Callum Robinson (West Bromwich Albion)PL, Callum O’Dowda (Bristol City), James McClean (Stoke City), Aaron Connolly (Brighton & Hove Albion)PL, David McGoldrick (Sheffield United)PL, Adam Idah (Norwich City), Shane Long (Southampton)PL.

Thanks so much for including the PLs at the end of each player. Wouldn't have been able to decipher otherwise.

So, does the Nations League have an impact on WC qualification like it does for Euro's?

And if so, pretty sure it can't be a backdoor for us now and we will have to qualify by the traditional route

Scotland are one playoff win off Euro 2020 qualification (from the last NL) and one win off a guaranteed WC 2022 playoff spot and a move to NL group A. (from this NL competition). It can be.

Thanks so much for including the PLs at the end of each player. Wouldn't have been able to decipher otherwise.

There's some in here i'm not sure would have been able.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Two playoff spots will come from Nations League.
    Playoffs for next World Cup are similar to current Euros play offs with semis and a final but with three spots at stake.

Wikipedia seems to think only group winners are eligible for these two spots but that doesn’t make sense as conceivably all NL group winners could already be qualified for WC or in playoffs via traditional qualifying.

Scotland (or anyone else in League B) do not guarantee a playoff spot by topping NL group. It won’t hurt their chances but it doesn’t guarantee a World Cup playoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I’m disgusted you have people suggesting that Kenny has a couple of games to save his job.

He’s had five matches in a very short timeframe. Five. That’s no time to judge a manager when he’s trying to change a football culture, had little time in terms of training sessions, he’s been hit with Covid withdrawals and he’s stepping up a few levels himself. It’s beyond daft. If Kenny doesn’t get at least the full campaign for the WC, it’d be a disgrace. Fans should give the fella a proper chance and stop relishing the defeats just to pursue their own agendas.

I wasn’t an advocate for him getting the job, I don’t believe he will ultimately achieve what he’s trying to achieve but he 100% deserves the chance to do it. And, from watching the team, I’m very encouraged to see us trying to keep the ball rather than treating it like kryptonite. You can’t move from long ball football to successful possession football in that short a time particularly when you’re working with limited players and raw potential. People suggesting we go back to hoofing it or that we should be playing winning possession football already really don’t understand the game.

If transitioning the style automatically rules us out from competing for a playoff spot in the coming WC Qualification process then he shouldn’t try it.

Hopefully these 7 games are the bedding in period.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I’m disgusted you have people suggesting that Kenny has a couple of games to save his job.

He’s had five matches in a very short timeframe. Five. That’s no time to judge a manager when he’s trying to change a football culture, had little time in terms of training sessions, he’s been hit with Covid withdrawals and he’s stepping up a few levels himself. It’s beyond daft. If Kenny doesn’t get at least the full campaign for the WC, it’d be a disgrace. Fans should give the fella a proper chance and stop relishing the defeats just to pursue their own agendas.

I wasn’t an advocate for him getting the job, I don’t believe he will ultimately achieve what he’s trying to achieve but he 100% deserves the chance to do it. And, from watching the team, I’m very encouraged to see us trying to keep the ball rather than treating it like kryptonite. You can’t move from long ball football to successful possession football in that short a time particularly when you’re working with limited players and raw potential. People suggesting we go back to hoofing it or that we should be playing winning possession football already really don’t understand the game.

TBF fans are giving him a proper chance. It's the misery-guts "I told you so" brigade are the ones most vocal on this and won't rest until we get Sam Allardyce or Philippe Troussier into the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

TBF fans are giving him a proper chance. It's the misery-guts "I told you so" brigade are the ones most vocal on this and won't rest until we get Sam Allardyce or Philippe Troussier into the job.

Yeah it's a fair point. Clumsily worded. I think most people are reasonable. I just hear a vocal minority and even a whiff in the media of "ah his job can't be under threat" which can soon gather pace.

Kenny isn't above criticism but people in any way suggesting his job is under threat or he has x games to save his job need to rein it in.

Nah, let’s get the Italian lad at Dundalk. His European record is already twice as good as Kennys with less than half the amount of games played and a much less talented squad than Kenny had.

Lads were bigging up Kenny based on his European “run” with Dundalk. Would be remiss not to get a lad who’s record is already twice as good as Stephens.

Forza Giovagnoli!!

Nah, let’s get the Italian lad at Dundalk. His European record is already twice as good as Kennys with less than half the amount of games played and a much less talented squad than Kenny had.

Lads were bigging up Kenny based on his European “run” with Dundalk. Would be remiss not to get a lad who’s record is already twice as good as Stephens.

Forza Giovagnoli!!

He's still going...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    Ah cmon now,

He is a very good LOI player and I do think he could bring something to the Ireland team in certain situations. I'm hesitant though. Because Daryl Horgan was electrifying in the LOI at times and the Europa League but then his career has been just decent across the water and he in no way stood out in the Ireland team. Same with lots of the top LOI players of late. Seani Maguire has become a regular for Preston and I thought he was fine the other day but probably not near the starting team if we have a fully fit squad.

I admit that Jack Byrne had a great performance against Dundalk at the start of the season. I'm not giving you the last one against the Dundalk B team. Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Goals win games....

We cant score.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Has there been any word on whether we're playing Bosnia next month or not?

I know there’s nothing can match a proper competitive 90 min match but i’m kind of hoping there is no Bosnia/England friendly date.

It could be very beneficial if the squad met at the start of International week at a camp in Wales in preparation for our Sunday fixture vs them. Those handful of consecutive uninterrupted days training would be a Godsend for Stephen Kenny.

We’d still have 2 games anyway, Wales & then Bulgaria the following week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Robbie Keane apparently in the frame to be next manager of LA Galaxy. Big step up for 'unidentified fan':P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Robbie Keane apparently in the frame to be next manager of LA Galaxy. Big step up for 'unidentified fan':P

https://youtu.be/d77UyjhlcYE

• Advertisement

Nunu wrote: »
    I know there’s nothing can match a proper competitive 90 min match but i’m kind of hoping there is no Bosnia/England friendly date.

It could be very beneficial if the squad met at the start of International week at a camp in Wales in preparation for our Sunday fixture vs them. Those handful of consecutive uninterrupted days training would be a Godsend for Stephen Kenny.

We’d still have 2 games anyway, Wales & then Bulgaria the following week.

Possible friendly against England?

Possible friendly against England?

Ye it’s been mooted instead of Bosnia since NZ pulled out of their friendly with them next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

That would be good. Get him off the payroll at FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

DeanAustin wrote: »
    You can’t move from long ball football to successful possession football in that short a time particularly when you’re working with limited players and raw potential.

Kenny is the one picking the team. Why is this constantly overlooked by those defending him? He picks the team. This isn't a case of a bunch of selectors choosing the XI and saying 'make it work'. Kenny believed those players were the best fit to implement his style.

You can't move to a new style of football when you keep picking the players from previous eras. These are the players he has selected for central midfield in his tenure so far:
    Midfield vs Bulgaria: Hourihane, McCarthy, Hendrick.

Midfield vs Finland (home): Molumby, Arter, Brady.

Midfield vs Slovakia: Hourihane, McCarthy, Hendrick.

Midfield vs Wales: Molumby, Hourihane, Hendrick.

Midfield vs Finland (away): Molumby, Hourihane, Hendrick.

It is reasonable to conclude based on the above that he sees Hendrick and Hourihane as his preferred choices, given they have both featured in 4 out of 5 games, including the play-off, his opening game, and the most recent match. Molumby wasn't picked at all for his first squad but has seemingly become the preferred option when McCarthy isn't available.

Jack Byrne, who is the sort of player you would think would fit this supposed new philosophy, didn't even make the first squad. He contracted Covid-19 recently, but the evidence before that suggests Kenny doesn't fancy him. Josh Cullen got some minutes but no start. Is it not a fair question to ask why a coach who wants to move to a new style, persists largely with personnel from the old one. Where are the 'ballers', to put it bluntly?

Anyone who thinks Hendrick and Hourihane, both nearing thirty, are going to suddenly become adept at pass-and-move football based on a handful of international meet-ups with Kenny each year are kidding themselves. They don't do it for their clubs and they aren't going to do it for us at this stage in their careers. And for all this constant talk of 'give him time', you could give him all the time in the world but you can't teach old dogs new tricks. In reality, if you want players that play that style, you have to pick them. And guess who the responsibility for that rests with?

There is no identity to this team so far. We have replaced a pragmatic coach who picked the above pragmatic players, with a philosopher coach who implements said philosophy by picking pragmatic players that cannot do it. That's why we saw Hendrick pinging balls into the empty stands.

Question for those saying 'give him time': do you agree with Kenny selecting the above players to implement his approach? If yes, at what point can we expect to see it bear fruit? If no, at what point can we expect him to pick the players that will actually suit his preferred style? And if your answer is that Kenny doesn't see any current Irish midfielders as being capable of implementing his preferred style, does that not beg the question why we got rid of McCarthy for him in the first place? Wouldn't we have been better off sticking with a pragmatic coach that maximised our limited positives and tried to hide our sizeable negatives, rather than one that persisted stubbornly with a philosophy that his chosen personnel had not the attributes to enact?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Wouldn't we have been better off sticking with a pragmatic coach that maximised our limited positives and tried to hide our sizeable negatives, rather than one that persisted stubbornly with a philosophy that his chosen personnel had not the attributes to enact?

While you have finally managed to put a cogent post together, rather than your "toys out of the pram" posts since Kenny has been in charge, the above quoted piece is complete nonsense. Scraping past Gibraltar twice, georgia once, and a couple of come from behind draws isn't "maximising" anything. Mick was terrible for us during his spell in charge recently - utterly turgid football that didn't qualify us.

I'd rather try to play good football, develop players and the approach to our game and fail, than be viewed as cave men footballers by the rest of the world while failing miserably.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Kenny is the one picking the team. Why is this constantly overlooked by those defending him? He picks the team. This isn't a case of a bunch of selectors choosing the XI and saying 'make it work'. Kenny believed those players were the best fit to implement his style.

You can't move to a new style of football when you keep picking the players from previous eras. These are the players he has selected for central midfield in his tenure so far:

It is reasonable to conclude based on the above that he sees Hendrick and Hourihane as his preferred choices, given they have both featured in 4 out of 5 games, including the play-off, his opening game, and the most recent match. Molumby wasn't picked at all for his first squad but has seemingly become the preferred option when McCarthy isn't available.

Jack Byrne, who is the sort of player you would think would fit this supposed new philosophy, didn't even make the first squad. He contracted Covid-19 recently, but the evidence before that suggests Kenny doesn't fancy him. Josh Cullen got some minutes but no start. Is it not a fair question to ask why a coach who wants to move to a new style, persists largely with personnel from the old one. Where are the 'ballers', to put it bluntly?

Anyone who thinks Hendrick and Hourihane, both nearing thirty, are going to suddenly become adept at pass-and-move football based on a handful of international meet-ups with Kenny each year are kidding themselves. They don't do it for their clubs and they aren't going to do it for us at this stage in their careers. And for all this constant talk of 'give him time', you could give him all the time in the world but you can't teach old dogs new tricks. In reality, if you want players that play that style, you have to pick them. And guess who the responsibility for that rests with?

There is no identity to this team so far. We have replaced a pragmatic coach who picked the above pragmatic players, with a philosopher coach who implements said philosophy by picking pragmatic players that cannot do it. That's why we saw Hendrick pinging balls into the empty stands.

Question for those saying 'give him time': do you agree with Kenny selecting the above players to implement his approach? If yes, at what point can we expect to see it bear fruit? If no, at what point can we expect him to pick the players that will actually suit his preferred style? And if your answer is that Kenny doesn't see any current Irish midfielders as being capable of implementing his preferred style, does that not beg the question why we got rid of McCarthy for him in the first place? Wouldn't we have been better off sticking with a pragmatic coach that maximised our limited positives and tried to hide our sizeable negatives, rather than one that persisted stubbornly with a philosophy that his chosen personnel had not the attributes to enact?

I'm a big fan of what Kenny is trying to do but have to admit some of his player selections have baffled me, for one I think it was a mistake taking off Robinson and Mc Goldrick when the Slovakia game was looking like going to penos, then again vs Wales he stuck with Hendrick and Hourihan who looked like they were struggling against a 2nd string Welsh midfield, while Byrne and Cullen were left sitting in the stands,
    I suppose we can't really judge the Finland game as we were badly hit with squad numbers, In all its still early days and Kenny deserves time to implement his philosophy and hopefully he can have a good look at the squad over the next few games and root out the players that are not performing for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Excellent post mr nice guy. But can kenny be blamed for some of the appalling misses the players have spurned? Id be in the give him a bit more time camp. The hoofball is just so unbearable...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

While you have finally managed to put a cogent post together, rather than your "toys out of the pram" posts since Kenny has been in charge, the above quoted piece is complete nonsense. Scraping past Gibraltar twice, georgia once, and a couple of come from behind draws isn't "maximising" anything. Mick was terrible for us during his spell in charge recently - utterly turgid football that didn't qualify us.

I'd rather try to play good football, develop players and the approach to our game and fail, than be viewed as cave men footballers by the rest of the world while failing miserably.

I think wed have a better chance in a once off game against slovakia with mick at the helm. But only because attenoting to change to a styor of play that goes deeply against everything we have known for decades, may not work, but most certainly will take a while to start yielding results ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I think wed have a better chance in a once off game against slovakia with mick at the helm. But only because attenoting to change to a styor of play that goes deeply against everything we have known for decades, may not work, but most certainly will take a while to start yielding results ..

I dunno, Mick had a few one-off must win games, and didn’t win any of them... actually his last 3 competitive games were framed that way. The Georgia scoreless draw, the loss to Switzerland, and the home draw against Denmark. Either of the latter two in particular would’ve seen us through. So to be honest I’ve zero faith that Mick would’ve gotten a win in Slovakia... a 0-0 or 1-1 would be the odds on result.

Why do people think Mick or a "pragmatic" style would have won the slovakia game? We likely end up on penos.and in the same spot. As it stands we created a few chances that the players didn't take. Would hoofball not just have allowed the likes of hamsik to get comfortable on the ball around our box?

What games have we won recently that leads people to believe that Mick's style would not have gotten us to penaltys in a best case situation?

Ryan Manning signs for Swansea on a three year deal. Good move for Manning imo, Swansea were in the play offs last season and will be a team pushing for promotion. They also play with three at the back which will suit Manning even more.

Would have preferred he also look abroad like Cullen did, but it's a better move than somewhere like West Ham for definite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Kennys selection of Hourihane and Hendrick is hardly surprising. Who else does he go for? We have lots of central midfield options who appear to be similar enough types of players, maybe some of the younger players coming through might be technically stronger in a few years but I don't think picking Hourihane and Hendrick ahead of Arter, Browne, Molumby, Cullen etc is as poor or bad of a decision as some are making out. None of them are exactly a xavi or iniesta but they aren't hatchet men either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Seamie back in today for the Merseyside derby. Good to see he is back to fitness already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Whatever happened Gavin Kilkenny at Bournemouth?was a great hope and seems to have disappeared. He 20 or 21 now too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Coleman off after 30 minutes. Seems to have tweaked his hamstring again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

sugarman wrote: »
    Back in the youth team it seems, he's only 20. If I recall he only got into the first team last year due to an injury crisis. He has played in the cup this season.

Sounds like Knight might be our most promising young midfielder at the moment then. He’s the only young lad that’s first choice at his club.

I’ve not seen him play yet.

Am I missing any other young first team midfielders? League 1 is too low a level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

sugarman wrote: »
    Smallbone and Coventry!

Forgot smallbone. He’s more a squad player though.

Coventry doesn’t get game time does he?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Kennys selection of Hourihane and Hendrick is hardly surprising. Who else does he go for? We have lots of central midfield options who appear to be similar enough types of players, maybe some of the younger players coming through might be technically stronger in a few years but I don't think picking Hourihane and Hendrick ahead of Arter, Browne, Molumby, Cullen etc is as poor or bad of a decision as some are making out. None of them are exactly a xavi or iniesta but they aren't hatchet men either.

I think with Hendrick now we are flogging a dead horse, not saying hes a bad player but I don't think he is suitable for the system Kenny is trying to play, Hourihan has some quality in his locker but he drifts in and out of games when hes playing for us
    Molumby, Byrne and Cullen are more suited to what Kenny wants but he doesn't seem to rate either Cullen or Byrne, which is unfortunate as I feel these type of midfielders that work their socks off and always show for the ball are probably what is needed for this new system to work, actually the last time we won a game we had Byrne and Cullen in midfield

Yet Browne did more in his sub appearance than those two did in three games.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Jeff Hendrick is cat

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Jeff Hendrick is cat

The commentator on the stream I was watching last night praised him, said he was doing a lot of work in the Newcastle CM

I was like WTF

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement