Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Some people really need to get over the obafemi situation, you'd swear he was leaving Messi out of the squad, Kenny has already said he needs to do more work with the u21s before he can make that next step up, Kenny has worked with obafemi so I'm sure he knows what he's about,

I really don't see the problem it's a glorified friendly and Kenny has picked an experimental squad while leaving obafemi to develop a bit more with the u21s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Some people really need to get over the obafemi situation, you'd swear he was leaving Messi out of the squad, Kenny has already said he needs to do more work with the u21s before he can make that next step up, Kenny has worked with obafemi so I'm sure he knows what he's about,

I really don't see the problem it's a glorified friendly and Kenny has picked an experimental squad while leaving obafemi to develop a bit more with the u21s

Play Offs have thrown a massive spanner into the works. Means you can't experiment as much as you would like because we're technically warming up for the Slovakia match rather than experimenting for next years qualifiers. And I believe that has played a part in Obafemis exclusion.

Kenny has worked with him for the U21s and will know that Obafemi doesn't really fit the system that he uses and he won't have enough games before Slovakia to get Obafemi used to the system so has to pick lads he feels best suits his system with the play offs next month.

Same lads getting upset about Obafemis exclusion would probably be the same people complaining if Kenny experimented too much before the play offs. Heck some would complain if he did everything right because they feel he shouldn't be anywhere near the job in the first place anyway.

Without the play offs you could be sure the squad would be bigger (though covid might have put a stop to larger squads) with an eye to looking at different players

If it was just nation's league games I'd probably be questioning his exclusion because we'd have plenty of games for him to play in the system before the qualifiers, whereas now we've got two games before Slovakia, two possible games before the other play off and then two games before next years qualifiers.

I don't think we'll see Obafemi until November. Might make it in October because the play off is before the nation's league games, but feel he might not play until the nation's league games in November unless we lose over in Slovakia.

Unfortunately for him he currently doesn't fit into the game plan, with game plan being the key words we should be happy about because when was the last time we actually went into international games with an actual game plan that wasn't aimlessly huffing the ball.

Corholio wrote: »
    Acts of stupidity.......indefensible........major red flags.......

Before even 1 game played. I mean, I fully expected it but it's still slightly hilarious to see. Compared to the stratospheric, over the top post the last time it's relatively tame I guess. Not sure how there's an LOI get out of jail card when it's only a very small amount of people in comparison, which some like to constantly bleat about.

Trap and O'Neill were well supported before their first games because.....well.......it was their first games. He's very unlucky to miss out but geez, I'm constantly surprised at some over reactions, even when you shouldn't be on this forum.

It's as stupid as the calls from some that Kenny only got the job in the first place because Delaney wanted to appease the LOI die hearts that hated his guts. As if Delaney gave a **** what LOI fans thought of him, he didn't even give a **** about the league never mind the fans or that LOI fans would suddenly start to love him because he picked a LOI manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Where were all these tantrums when Mick picked Parrott over Obafemi? Obafemi only has a ten minute cameo from MONs time whereas Mick started Parrott in a senior international match.

That was early October last year both where totally unknow quantities at senor football,
    Since one has gone on to become almost a premier league regular and score some goals the other has been in the paper more times for the company he keeps than football ,

Its no big deal Obafemi being left out as he is young but at the expense of young lads who haven't played at all is wrong ,

As I said before what message does it send the player , what must he think he has to do when lads who don't play for the clubs and never have are in ahead of him ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

sugarman wrote: »
    Knifes will be out from the get go, particularly after the playoff next month.

Personally I think he needs 2 full campaigns, even if the results aren't coming. He needs time to blood in players and to implement his own plan and ideas. Theres a full rebuild job on his hands.

I'd fully agree with this. Unfortunately though the nature of international football has gone the same way as the club game and it's all about the short term. I think we need to build with the youngsters we have coming through and give them a platform to qualify for 2022,2024 and 2026.

I really don't think that Kenny has helped himself with the Obafemi thing though. I get that Kenny is his own man and wants to put a stamp on things but it wouldn't do any harm in keeping the media on side as much as possible. People are miffed an rightly so. It makes zero sense really to leave out a player with a full PL campaign for players who effectively only have youth team and reserve football played. Then to call up Maguire. it was a chance as I see it to appease. Now that's not his job but he needs to show a little nous in that area.

That was early October last year both where totally unknow quantities at senor football,
    Since one has gone on to become almost a premier league regular and score some goals the other has been in the paper more times for the company he keeps than football ,

Its no big deal Obafemi being left out as he is young but at the expense of young lads who haven't played at all is wrong ,

As I said before what message does it send the player , what must he think he has to do when lads who don't play for the clubs and never have are in ahead of him ,

Again he's not competing with Idah and Parrott for a place in the squad. They are totally different players. Be like complaining that if McCarthy was ruled out and he called up Conor Coventry and people felt that Smallbone should have been called up instead.

Idah is 6ft 3 and plays the lone striker role. Someone who'll hold up the ball and bring the wide players into the game.
    Parrott is 6ft 1 I think, can play the lone striker role and is seen as the nearest player style wise to David McGoldrick.
    Obafemi is 5ft 6, can people not see that it's not Idah and Parrott keeping him out of the squad. And again it be like complaining that a defensive midfielder was picked ahead of an attacking midfield player.

Again he's not competing with Idah and Parrott for a place in the squad. They are totally different players. Be like complaining that if McCarthy was ruled out and he called up Conor Coventry and people felt that Smallbone should have been called up instead.

Idah is 6ft 3 and plays the lone striker role. Someone who'll hold up the ball and bring the wide players into the game.
    Parrott is 6ft 1 I think, can play the lone striker role and is seen as the nearest player style wise to David McGoldrick.
    Obafemi is 5ft 6, can people not see that it's not Idah and Parrott keeping him out of the squad. And again it be like complaining that a defensive midfielder was picked ahead of an attacking midfield player.

To me that argument makes Kenny look worse .
    He's picked McGoldrick , Long, Idah, Parrott four who can play as a lone striker, so in that case Obafemi would add more depth in options if things need to be changed up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Slightly off topic.

Shamrock Rovers got AC Milan at home in the Europa League 2nd round qualifying.

Real pity no fans will be there but a huge draw for Rovers.

Hopefully RTE will get broadcast rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Sean Maguire is hardly a basketball player height wise. He replaced Parrott.

• Advertisement

He's picked McGoldrick , Long, Idah, Parrott four who can play as a lone striker, so in that case Obafemi would add more depth in options if things need to be changed up

100%. He hasn't taken a single game or training session up to this morning yet he seems to have decided on plan A, and plan B seems to be, see plan A. I can see a few losses and senior players asking who is Stephen Kenny.

Yes it's not like these lads have never ever played as part of a two man strike partnership in all their careers. McGoldrick plays week in week out in a two, Long plays as part of a two and the other two have played together as part of a two for Ireland.

So he's picked four guys, and the only reason it was four was because McGoldrick is carrying a knock. So he picked lads that will fit the way he wants a CF to play in his game plan, but also lads that can switch to a two man partnership incase there needs to be a in game change.

So there's options to change things up. Obafemi is just unfortunate that he doesn't fit the way he wants wide forwards to play in his game plan and that these games are warm up games before Slovakia so there's no time to experiment with players because lads that will fit the game plan need game time before Slovakia.

Sean Maguire is hardly a basketball player height wise. He replaced Parrott.

I'm worse for replying but why do you care. You've already said Kenny shouldn't have gotten the job so why waste timing trying to debate things when you've already made your mind up about the current manager anyway, so good luck.

The argument around Obafemi is going to go the same way I fear as the Wes thing and the Andy Reid ****e before him.

I think Obafemi gives us something different a little more direct. If we need to change things up and have trouble breaking down teams who are higher ranked than us we may need someone who can sprint in behind a defence. Look I just hope this doesn't escalate the same way as with previous managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's honestly sad to see such opposition and writing off of Kenny from some, a small few but still some. A full on wanting to fail attitude. The funny thing is same people would be enraged and pounding the chest patriotically if players dare not crawl through broken glass to play for Ireland, and boy would they tell you with wannabe Michael Collins reams of paragraphs, and yet can hardly muster any support themselves.

I'm worse for replying but why do you care. You've already said Kenny shouldn't have gotten the job so why waste timing trying to debate things when you've already made your mind up about the current manager anyway, so good luck.

Pointing out that your "height" argument is nonsense seems to have touched a nerve. I care because I'm an Ireland fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I wonder where does Dara O'Shea fit then. He wasn't part of "the plan". Yet has been added. Havent heard of any of the original defenders being doubts/injured?

How many losses before Kenny is shown up to be a dud??

Pretty sure it's 21. Or maybe 22. I'll have a look at the formula again later, but obviously as you know there is an exact answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭showpony1

Where were all these tantrums when Mick picked Parrott over Obafemi? Obafemi only has a ten minute cameo from MONs time whereas Mick started Parrott in a senior international match.

Michael since scored a tap in after poor defending from Viktor Lindelof therefore must be picked.

• Advertisement

We were a bit light at the back to begin with and with his versatility he can play anywhere across the back in the event of any injury. He was called up on the back of McCarthy being injured, so it seems he was happy enough with his midfield options available and added some dept to the back instead.
    pjohnson wrote: »
    I wonder where does Dara O'Shea fit then. He wasn't part of "the plan". Yet has been added. Havent heard of any of the original defenders being doubts/injured?

Plus Wolves are only beginning their preseason tomorrow so Doherty is only back from holidays and hasn't trained yet. Might not be out injured but probably called in incase Doherty is struggling.

Plus Wolves are only beginning their preseason tomorrow so Doherty is only back from holidays and hasn't trained yet. Might not be out injured but probably called in incase Doherty is struggling.

He last played competitively 20 days ago. He’s have to have been on a seriously unprofessional binge to have lost any match fitness etc. Doubt Spurs would have signed him if that was the case.

I see James McCarthy took full part in training today, amazing how that big hematoma Roy Hodgson described that was likely to keep him out of the squad cleared up over the weekend and after the FAI medical staff assessing him.

Similar to Koeman and whoever else was an Everton manager for awhile. Everytime an international game came about they'd be talking about how he's not fit enough to play for Ireland and carry knocks.

Were Arter and Travers involved with the squad today, both were in Portugal with Bournemouth last night so be interesting to see if they've already linked up with the team or will link up tomorrow before flying out or have to meet them in Bulgaria. I assume Conor Kearns being called in to make up the training numbers means the Bournemouth lads might not be with the squad currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

I see James McCarthy took full part in training today, amazing how that big hematoma Roy Hodgson described that was likely to keep him out of the squad cleared up over the weekend and after the FAI medical staff assessing him.

Don't clubs have the right to refuse call ups for this window over Covid fears?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Kelleher has been called up to the seniors with O'Hara ruled out through injury.

Still no Obafemi :(

Kelleher has been called up to the seniors with O'Hara ruled out through injury.

Good news for Bazunu who should now start against Linfield during the U21s training camp. Pretty sure I saw it mentioned somewhere they were playing Linfield.

• Advertisement

Anyone watched much of Kelleher for the under 21s,
    Any time iv seen him for Liverpool he's been unreal n the ball but pretty poor at goal keeping

Again not seen enough of him to know of that is him as a player or just those few performances

Anyone watched much of Kelleher for the under 21s,
    Any time iv seen him for Liverpool he's been unreal n the ball but pretty poor at goal keeping

Again not seen enough of him to know of that is him as a player or just those few performances

Think most people might have the same assessment of Kelleher. Said before that Liverpool should try loan him to Rochdale but Man City have now sent Bazunu there. Would have given him the opportunity to play senior games against lower league teams and develop his skills, especially at Rochdale because they try and play the ball out of defence for a league one team and have a good Irish representation at the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Play Offs have thrown a massive spanner into the works. Means you can't experiment as much as you would like because we're technically warming up for the Slovakia match rather than experimenting for next years qualifiers. And I believe that has played a part in Obafemis exclusion.

Kenny has worked with him for the U21s and will know that Obafemi doesn't really fit the system that he uses and he won't have enough games before Slovakia to get Obafemi used to the system so has to pick lads he feels best suits his system with the play offs next month.

Same lads getting upset about Obafemis exclusion would probably be the same people complaining if Kenny experimented too much before the play offs. Heck some would complain if he did everything right because they feel he shouldn't be anywhere near the job in the first place anyway.

Without the play offs you could be sure the squad would be bigger (though covid might have put a stop to larger squads) with an eye to looking at different players

If it was just nation's league games I'd probably be questioning his exclusion because we'd have plenty of games for him to play in the system before the qualifiers, whereas now we've got two games before Slovakia, two possible games before the other play off and then two games before next years qualifiers.

I don't think we'll see Obafemi until November. Might make it in October because the play off is before the nation's league games, but feel he might not play until the nation's league games in November unless we lose over in Slovakia.

Unfortunately for him he currently doesn't fit into the game plan, with game plan being the key words we should be happy about because when was the last time we actually went into international games with an actual game plan that wasn't aimlessly huffing the ball.

We've never had a manager like Kenny before and its going to take a bit of getting use to for some people.

There will be as much preparation as possible put in before every game and each player will know exactly what their role is, and as mentioned if he can't find a role for a particular player then somebody else gets picked to do the job, it's simple as that.

Don't be surprised to see a fair bit of chopping and changing as Kenny is known to alter his team selection according to the opposition, you could see a very different looking squad for the next round of games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Interesting video of inside training this morning

2 lineups being tried out there look to be

McCarthy
    ---Hendrick---Hourihane
    O'Dowda--Long--McClean

&

Molumby

Arter
    Brady---
    Robinson--Idah--Connolly

Early days, but make of that what you will.

Shane Duffy freaking out because of a bee:D:pac:

Interesting video of inside training this morning

2 lineups being tried out there look to be

McCarthy
    ---Hendrick---Hourihane
    O'Dowda--Long--McClean

&

Molumby

Arter
    Brady---
    Robinson--Idah--Connolly

Early days, but make of that what you will.

Neither would get you excited would they,
    We really are a very poor side currently ,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Depends on an individuals perspective. It is obviously vastly different to sides in 90s or early 00s.

I am not convinced it is hugely different to options in more recent times and the crowds that headed for Tallaght for under 21s indicate fans are genuinely interested in a team that may not feature the biggest names but where the football and idea's catch people's attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

We have Duffy, Egan, Coleman, Stevens and Doherty who are all premier league players and Randolph who is very good anytime he plays for us

Then we have 5 or 6 really promising youngsters a few who are playing premier league football

They might not all make it but if a few of those youngsters can fulfill their potential in a year or two coming into a side with a lot of experienced premier league regulars we could have a very decent side in a few years

DM_7 wrote: »
    Depends on an individuals perspective. It is obviously vastly different to sides in 90s or early 00s.

I am not convinced it is hugely different to options in more recent times and the crowds that headed for Tallaght for under 21s indicate fans are genuinely interested in a team that may not feature the biggest names but where the football and idea's catch people's attention.

I never get carried away with the under 21s ,

Big difference from playing under 21's for Ireland and making as good pro then becoming a good player for the senor squad ,

It's hard to gage them you could be 22 playing under 21 football and look great up against a 17 or 18 year old, Who is playing because he has a much higher ceiling than you ,

Then you have some countries who's under 21's seem poor as 3 or 4 of there best lads are playing for the senor squad,

I always go by the first team squad which is currently poor not the what if;s of the under 21's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

So Adam Idah says the team will take the knee before the game. Taking the knee in Bulgaria of all places could be interesting to watch. You’d imagine Bulgaria won’t be. As statements go I feel the knee has begun to lose its power but doing it in Sofia is different

How long is he going to get though to try implement his ideas and how he wants the team to play. Maybe the financial side of things might work in his favour, that the FAI can't run out and overpay someone for some possible short term gains and will have to back him long term like the IFA did with Michael O'Neill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Bridge93 wrote: »
    So Adam Idah says the team will take the knee before the game. Taking the knee in Bulgaria of all places could be interesting to watch. You’d imagine Bulgaria won’t be. As statements go I feel the knee has begun to lose its power but doing it in Sofia is different

What makes it an interesting watch? Its being played in an empty stadium so whats going to happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

What makes it an interesting watch? Its being played in an empty stadium so whats going to happen?

I’m just curious as to Bulgaria’s reaction. They’ve had a pretty nasty reputation down the years for all this. No fans in the ground may actually make it easier for the team to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

How long is he going to get though to try implement his ideas and how he wants the team to play. Maybe the financial side of things might work in his favour, that the FAI can't run out and overpay someone for some possible short term gains and will have to back him long term like the IFA did with Michael O'Neill.

I think judging by some peoples reaction to not picking Obamfemi that Kenny is going to need to hit the ground running and get a few good results at the start. I'd say if we win the playoff that should buy him time.

Normally I wouldn't read much into the 21's but the way the team played and the fact that we have qualified for a couple of underage tournaments and are competitive with every other international team at these age groups bodes well that a lot of players will establish themselves at a decent level.

We haven't had as many promising players threatening to come through at the same time in the last 20 years. They will need time but I expect a lot of players to kick on this year and push for places on the senior squad.

O'Shea, Masterson, Molumby, Knight, Idah and Parrott could all be pushing hard to be starters this time next year if they all continue their development and are playing well regularly for their club sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

U21s player Stephen Mallon has declared for Northern Ireland. Turned down the call up to Jim Crawfords training camp. Disappointing news, talented lad and we don't have all that many wingers coming through the underage setups.

Tbf the North were due one I guess.

Agree though with lack of wingers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Bridge93 wrote: »

When do they take the knee, before, after or during the anthem ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

statesaver wrote: »
    When do they take the knee, before, after or during the anthem ?

Some joke

The FAI would do well to nip this in the bud. They're already politicised and unpopular enough, and commercially they'd be better to just not go there.

It's time to move on now

I never get carried away with the under 21s ,

Big difference from playing under 21's for Ireland and making as good pro then becoming a good player for the senor squad ,

It's hard to gage them you could be 22 playing under 21 football and look great up against a 17 or 18 year old, Who is playing because he has a much higher ceiling than you ,

Then you have some countries who's under 21's seem poor as 3 or 4 of there best lads are playing for the senor squad,

I always go by the first team squad which is currently poor not the what if;s of the under 21's

My post was an attempt to show, as with the under 21 experience, how fans can get excited about a team without big names if they see something positive is taking place.

Not really trying to say they are doing well at that level so will step up to seniors or anything.

My post was an attempt to show, as with the under 21 experience, how fans can get excited about a team without big names if they see something positive is taking place.

Not really trying to say they are doing well at that level so will step up to seniors or anything.

Long may it continue with fans turning up to support the under 21s , iv gone along myself plenty of times great for the lads regardless of where they end up to get support and also hope the kids who go to watch get inspiration from it to play football at all levels themselves,

I just don't get excited about the senior side of the back of the 21's ,
    I think we have a really poor senior squad but I will still be going to games and still think everyone should get out to the games if they can,

End of the day we ALL want them to do well,

Some joke

The FAI would do well to nip this in the bud. They're already politicised and unpopular enough, and commercially they'd be better to just not go there.

It's time to move on now

Clearly Idah and Randolph do not think it is time to move on though which adds more complexity to it.

If any association tried to stop the players for commercial reasons or because they feel such gestures are not in favour with some fans then it would be the wrong reason to look to stop it. If the players choice to take a knee was damaging to the anti-racism or no racism message then fair enough it would make sense for the FAI to look into it.

Clearly guys like Idah and Randolph don't feel it is time to give up on the take a knee gesture. Kenny has the right view at this time in that it should be a player led choice at this time.

U21s player Stephen Mallon has declared for Northern Ireland. Turned down the call up to Jim Crawfords training camp. Disappointing news, talented lad and we don't have all that many wingers coming through the underage setups.

While losing a winger sucks, at least he was a left winger and not a right winger. Connolly is probably going to be our starting left winger in time, Will Ferry is breaking through at Southampton and the U19s have Oko-flex, Wright and pretty sure Cassidy played a game last year as a left winger.

But the right side is going to be a problem for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Some joke

It's time to move on now

What does taking the knee have to do with commercial concerns? Why do the FAI need to “nip it in the bud”? Aren’t other soccer teams taking the knee, I don’t see what your problem is or where it will cause a problem exactly?

Have you an issue with BLM on a personal level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Kenny has the right view at this time in that it should be a player led choice at this time.

Agree that Kenny should, and I'm sure will, stay well out of it.

Some joke

It's time to move on now

If they don't take very strong action now, maybe beat a couple of the players, it could explode into something really nasty, with Irish players burning and looting businesses.

I wouldn't be overly worried about Mallon lads. From what I hear he is no great shakes and no real loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Where's Baraclough's moral outrage now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement