Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

I recall Tony Cascarino signed for Celtic in a big money move at the time by Liam Brady. That was also a disaster for whatever reason and Cascarino went to Chelsea in a swap for Tom Boyd. Cascarino had a largely successful career in the top flight in England but it didn’t work out at Celtic.

So bad he was called Tony Casablanca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    I’ve never seen the current jersey up close but I thought it seemed decent. I like the all green style too. Much better than white shorts.

Agree with you there. I prefer the kits to be all green for home and all white for away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

https://twitter.com/UmbroIreland/status/1321738546974109697?s=20

i like the fact its sponsorless (for now)

dont like the sleeves being a different shade of green to the chest panel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I am reminded of the NI shirt.

actually think the womens kit is nicer tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The away one is out too. I like both. No sponsor for a start

The away one is out too. I like both. No sponsor for a start

for now, still a week to go till theyre on sale and wouldnt be shocked with them trying to get one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Wonder how quick they'll be on DHGate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Prefer a white crest on the home shirt but not bad otherwise.

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    for now, still a week to go till theyre on sale and wouldnt be shocked with them trying to get one

You're right it could change, although going by the Umbro director comments to Irish Fan tv site they will be sponsor less. Let's hope it stays to their word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Two nice kits. They should have went with the Italia 90 collar on the home also. Fingers crossed it remains sponsor-less! Fully agree with a new crest, should have been the perfect time to leave the one they have behind and onto a something fresh. But with re-branding comes a cost and the FAI aint exactly in a position to do it. Hopefully it will happen over the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

You're right it could change, although going by the Umbro director comments to Irish Fan tv site they will be sponsor less. Let's hope it stays to their word.

Umbro have tweeted themselves that shirts will be available as is at first, and can be pre ordered from midday. Will definitely pick up two myself before they eventually put a sponsor on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Lovely retro feel off them. Best international kit for a long, long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Lovely retro feel off them. Best international kit for a long, long time.

Best shirt since the 2010 one.

eng_pm_2010-12-IRELAND-SHIRT-S-159202_1.jpg

Which is saying something, because it's nearly identical.

Managed to bag one of them sponsorless at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Rovers were in a similar boat to Ireland in terms of jerseys at the start of this season, switched from New Balance to Umbro and did not have a shirt sponsor. Jerseys were released sponsorless initially but then once JD became the sponsor all kits had the logo on them. Wouldn't be surprised to see the same happen here. Might pick up the away one, will also be interested to see the training gear I wonder does that come out today too?

Is there anywhere to look back at all of the old Irish kits?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Rovers were in a similar boat to Ireland in terms of jerseys at the start of this season, switched from New Balance to Umbro and did not have a shirt sponsor. Jerseys were released sponsorless initially but then once JD became the sponsor all kits had the logo on them. Wouldn't be surprised to see the same happen here. Might pick up the away one, will also be interested to see the training gear I wonder does that come out today too?

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/international/republic-ireland/republic-ireland-1978-1994.html
    http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/international/republic-ireland/republic-ireland-1994-2010.html
    http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/international/republic-ireland/republic-ireland-2010-2019.html

Historical Kits have them

the original ireland team then splits into NI/ROI pages

edit:

2002 - 2010 was agreat time for kits, some lovely ones in there, i rellay liked the horizonal striped one in 03

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I like the away one more than the home one tbh. Our crest looks like something someone done up on a free online logo site.

https://twitter.com/UmbroIreland/status/1321738546974109697?s=20

i like the fact its sponsorless (for now)

dont like the sleeves being a different shade of green to the chest panel

It's almost like a bad joke.

There are junior b under 14 hurling teams where, if a few were standing in for a photo, someone would have enough about them to say "maybe have them standing 2m apart, the whole country is in lockdown".

It's not like we lost Idah a crucial game because he was too close to someone else...

There are junior b under 14 hurling teams where, if a few were standing in for a photo, someone would have enough about them to say "maybe have them standing 2m apart, the whole country is in lockdown".

It's not like we lost Idah a crucial game because he was too close to someone else...

Could very easily have been photgraphed seperately and photoshopped in together

but i doubt the FAI were that sensible

• Advertisement

Could very easily have been photgraphed seperately and photoshopped in together

but i doubt the FAI were that sensible

True.

Or perhaps taken in the UK, and either there is no issue or it's exempt.

It just seems a little...off message.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

?width=630&version=5248028
    Lovely stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

sugarman wrote: »
    Bought both jerseys there, theyre throwing in one of the "New Era" branded wooly hats for free with each jersey and theyre worth €30 on their own. So not a bad deal.

Jaysus 75 euro a pop!

You are some man, sugarman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

The new training kit is nicer than the jersey ffs. Definitely picking it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Why do the women have a different logo to the men? Surely there should be the same logo for all teams.

Why do the women have a different logo to the men? Surely there should be the same logo for all teams.

Collar is different too

Equality my arse

Green crest on the away top and vice verse and it would stand out much better.

Much rather ladies away for the colour change alone.

But still 2 good efforts once stay sponsor less

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Got one there aswell. Haven't bought a jersey in years because of the sponsor. This one looks neat enough. Not the most exciting one we ever had but not that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

I'd hazard a guess if they remain sponsorless it will he the best selling Ireland shirt in a while. I remember not so long ago the last NB one when it launched getting slated on here and no one said they were buying it. A few have already commented on picking this one up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Last year I bought home and away West Ham jerseys because they were available without sponsor. It is definitely an attraction.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Rovers current jersey was our fastest and best selling shirt the few short weeks it was available without a sponsor.

There really should just be an option for it with and without, people would gladly pay a small premium for it ...or at least the option to buy player spec / replica with name/number sets without any sponsor.

Agree I'd pay a small premium to go sponsorless. I imagine though when sponsors are negotiating they are probably driving it that all replica gear carries their name.

Sorry to come back to this, and maybe I'm out of touch/cheap, bit is 75 euro, even for a brand new Jersey, a bit OTT?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Haven't bought a Jersey in years, won't buy this one either, although it is an improvement.
    The training gear however might be bought. Always find training gear to be nicer than the jerseys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    Two nice kits. They should have went with the Italia 90 collar on the home also. Fingers crossed it remains sponsor-less! Fully agree with a new crest, should have been the perfect time to leave the one they have behind and onto a something fresh. But with re-branding comes a cost and the FAI aint exactly in a position to do it. Hopefully it will happen over the next few years.

Agree with you there. Two nice looking kits and love that there is no sponsor although I am sure that will not last long. Agree with you too about the collar on the home one it would have been nice if they went with the Italia 90 look on that collar like they did on the away one. Disappointed but not surprised that it is the same crappy crest. As you say it would have been the perfect time for a re-branding and getting rid of that dreadful crest. I hear you on re-branding literally it does cost money to do. For me I would have been willing to have it phased in to save on money. Only replace the old branding on paperwork signage etc as it needs to be with a new one. But you could certainly have replaced the old crest right now at no extra cost on all the new kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I have been wanting an Ireland jersey for years without a sponsor so if that's the case I'll have to jump on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I have been wanting an Ireland jersey for years without a sponsor so if that's the case I'll have to jump on that.
    Most entities get extra money from landing a sponsor, in the FAI case it's the opposite, the lack of a sponsor will have people rushing to buy shirts $$$$$

Duff wrote: »
    The new training kit is nicer than the jersey ffs. Definitely picking it up.

The big "REPUBLIC OF IRELAND" on the back is gammy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

noodler wrote: »
    Sorry to come back to this, and maybe I'm out of touch/cheap, bit is 75 euro, even for a brand new Jersey, a bit OTT?

I am not a regular jersey buyer but is €75 not a fairly typical price for a football jersey? I know the LOI ones are a little cheaper but in general I would have said €75 is pretty standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Do you honestly think they were brought in for a photoshoot together??

Bought both jerseys there, theyre throwing in one of the "New Era" branded wooly hats for free with each jersey and theyre worth €30 on their own. So not a bad deal.

I believe the words you were looking for were "they cost"

• Advertisement

Yeah €75 is pretty standard, it's actually cheaper than bigger brands like Nike or Adidas would be charging. Their new kits are €80-90.

The only way that'll change is by people not buying them. A jersey costs about a €5 to make, if even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The only way that'll change is by people not buying them. A jersey costs about a €5 to make, if even.

I seen during the week, that Arsenal (and presumably other clubs) done a collaboration with Pharrell Williams and released a special edition jersey for Charity. It was £65stg. My first thought was, surely if they sold them for £40stg they'd sell a lot more and ultimately make more money for the charity.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I seen during the week, that Arsenal (and presumably other clubs) done a collaboration with Pharrell Williams and released a special edition jersey for Charity. It was £65stg. My first thought was, surely if they sold them for £40stg they'd sell a lot more and ultimately make more money for the charity.

The YBIG gear is just as good as any jersey and sells for €45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭adaminho

Joe Hodge was excellent for City in Youth Cup semi final. Be some coup if we could keep him

The YBIG gear is just as good as any jersey and sells for €45

But then you're wearing YBIG gear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Lads if anyone thinking of buying any of the new kit there’s a generic Elverys code takes 15% off...expires midnight.

ELV3PLUS9856

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Good to see Brady get some minutes with Burnley despite the result. Long played the full game as well.

McClean scored the winner for Stoke in their game as well

Good to see Brady get some minutes with Burnley despite the result. Long played the full game as well.

McClean scored the winner for Stoke in their game as well

I guess it was ....but they threw him on after it went 3-0 with 15 mins left so doesn't instill huge confidence that he'll get alot of minutes there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Connolly left out of the Brighton squad altogether is a strange one. Same thing happened with Maupay.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement