Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Anyone read that interview with McGeady this week where he was talking about half the team being hungover before the Italy game in the euro's? I love a pint as much as the next man, but i thought this craic was out the window with the modern footballler? We won the game but still seemed fairly mad to be on the lash the night before a big match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Can't see Martin O'Neill and Keane having that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

I presume he meant the 2012 Euros? We were already out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I presume he meant the 2012 Euros? We were already out

Think he said we went and won the game. We lost all three in 2012 from what I recall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It was the 2011 friendly against them in Belgium which Ireland won 2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Anyone read that interview with McGeady this week where he was talking about half the team being hungover before the Italy game in the euro's? I love a pint as much as the next man, but i thought this craic was out the window with the modern footballler? We won the game but still seemed fairly mad to be on the lash the night before a big match

Yeah he was talking about prior to a friendly match against Italy which we won. Listened to the full interview/podcast which was over an hour long, the parts about Ireland were interesting and I was pretty amazed to hear about how often they seem to go out on the lash considering McGeady is a fairly recent squad member. Sounds like every international break they go on the sauce which was a surprise to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Sounds like every international break they go on the sauce which was a surprise to me.

Would explain a lot tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Jaysus this is how rumours get started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭showpony1

Yeah he was talking about prior to a friendly match against Italy which we won. Listened to the full interview/podcast which was over an hour long, the parts about Ireland were interesting and I was pretty amazed to hear about how often they seem to go out on the lash considering McGeady is a fairly recent squad member. Sounds like every international break they go on the sauce which was a surprise to me.

it's part of the camaraderie our team spirit has been built on over the years. some of the players now look as though they don't even know each others names let alone have had a few pints together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Shay Given said in his book that the Irish players dont mix as much these days, he said they tend to spend their time in their rooms playing xbox than going on drinking sessions, I think shay said he preferred it the old way.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭AhhHere

What podcast was mcgeady on ? Wouldn't mind a listen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

sugarman wrote: »
    Open Ball, Keeping the ball on the ground with Si Ferry.

Hes had Damien Duff and Andy Reid on in the past too.

The Duff one was excellent, he too was talking about the old drinking culture back around the 2002 world cup..getting hammered before and after the Spain game. The lads sleeping on the street in Japan and losing their shoes etc.. Some mad stuff.
    That kind of stuff would be frowned on, on the continent. But there is/was a culture this side of the world and it wasn`t all a bad thing.
    I don`t think its a coincidence that probably two of the best tournament performances for Ireland (02) and England (96) were preceded and followed by what can only be described as good old p1ss ups.
    Obviously in moderation but its gone too far the other way now with players barely talking to each other staring into an Xbox screen before games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Got my hands on the home jersey. So good to see a shirt without a big gaudy sponsor on it. I wasn't keen on the gold trim initially when I saw photos but it's probably the nicest part up close. The hat is better than I was expecting as well.

Hope these kits do well in terms of sales. If the FAI keep them sponsorless I'll get more in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I got the away long sleeved (will get official numbering put on when it’s available) & I got the anthem jacket. Both really nice...and the free bobble hat was a nice touch. Top quality.

Open Ball, Keeping the ball on the ground with Si Ferry.

Hes had Damien Duff and Andy Reid on in the past too.

The Duff one was excellent, he too was talking about the old drinking culture back around the 2002 world cup..getting hammered before and after the Spain game. The lads sleeping on the street in Japan and losing their shoes etc.. Some mad stuff.

Just listened to the one with Duff there over the last day or two. Good podcast (could do with subtitles for some parts though!) and really interesting, I never would have guessed there was still such a drinking culture in football. Part of me is glad to hear it though, have zero problems with it once it's not the night before a game etc. Probably part of the reason some of our squads have seemed so tight knit when they can go on the lash together every international break.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

David McGoldrick retires from international football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

With 2 nations league games to go and such a lack of experience upfront. Kenny hardly told him he was not in squad would he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Amirani wrote: »
    David McGoldrick retires from international football.

Can see where he's coming from about wanting to prolong his club career, did he get injured in the last two international windows. But it has absolutely ****ed us now that our only decent striker has retired.

That's not good news anyway, thought we would get at least another campaign out of him. When Kenny took over it felt like we had okay options up front with McGoldrick and then guys like Idah, Parrott, Connolly and Obafemi coming through, but now with McGoldrick gone and Idah/Parrott/Obafemi not playing as much as we would have liked at club level for various reasons it leaves us very light up there with no obvious standout candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

That's a real sickener for Stephen Kenny. He needs as many leaders as he can get and McGoldrick is that type of player. People will obviously focus on his lack of goals for Ireland but that's missing the point a bit.

• Advertisement

Nah, Kenny name checked him lots over the past few months and was left frustrated not being able to play himself and Connolly together last month. He seemed to rate him pretty highly.

He most likely retired on the back of us failing to qualify for Euro 2020 last month.

McGoldrick is 33 in 3 weeks time, hes had an injury prone career and by the time World Cup 2022 comes around he will be 35 and uncertain to feature if we were to even qualify.

Can totally see where hes coming from and I wish him all the best.

Absolutely, arguably our best player the last two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Nah, Kenny name checked him lots over the past few months and was left frustrated not being able to play himself and Connolly together last month. He seemed to rate him pretty highly.

He most likely retired on the back of us failing to qualify for Euro 2020 last month.

McGoldrick is 33 in 3 weeks time, hes had an injury prone career and by the time World Cup 2022 comes around he will be 35 and uncertain to feature if we were to even qualify.

Can totally see where hes coming from and I wish him all the best.

Uncertain to feature? If he’s fit he’s one of the first names on the team sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A huge loss to the international team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Time for Cillian Sheridan to be called up (after a very long break). A like for like player. Vastly experienced and still only 31.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Time for Cillian Sheridan to be called up (after a very long break). A like for like player. Vastly experienced and still only 31.

Where is he playing these days he was in Israel last year.

He is the quintessential journeyman footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Where is he playing these days he was in Israel last year.

He is the quintessential journeyman footballer.

Poland. So no excuses to give him a shout.

Still think it was disgusting out of O’Neill not to call him up when he was playing Champions League with Apoel Nicosia. Hopefully Kenny gives him a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

McGoldrick gave great service. Sad to see him go. It would have been nice if he got an international tournament.

Our options look threadbare atm. Parrott struggling for fitness at Millwall not helping either.

Poland. So no excuses to give him a shout.

Still think it was disgusting out of O’Neill not to call him up when he was playing Champions League with Apoel Nicosia. Hopefully Kenny gives him a chance.

what kind of standard is the polish league?

heard them talking on the radio there, they said we need all players to chip in with goals, not just the forwards. They said jeff hendrick has 2 goals in 58 matches for us and hes an attacking midfielder. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

We will miss mcgoldricks goals

In 2 years time? 2 years is a very long time in football. At 35 he could be in the Championship or League 1 maybe even League 2, he could be bit part player for his club, maybe even retired.

Not to mention other players will be emerging, maybe he wouldn't even be in contention if the likes of Idah, Connolly, Parrott, Obafemi, Afloabi etc come through.

The likes of Walters, Murphy and Keane had a fairly sharp decline at International level at 33/34.

If. I’m old enough to remember we had Sadlier, Barrett, George and Partridge coming through. How did that work out?

I’m not too optimistic any of them will be prolific within 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

McGoldrick put in a good shift. Pity it took so long to get him capped. You might have thought he'd wait until the end of this 'season' of International football and be available for the one or two final games in the Nations league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Wonder will McGoldrick's retirement give cause for a formation rethink?

I know SK likes the 433 formation, but is it possible that we need to go back to 442 and keep 2 up top as much as possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Poor form retiring when you are an automatic starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Just seeing the news now, it is a bit of a shock and he will be missed, but it's not exactly prolific output we're losing on anything other than brawn and effort.

Hopefully this gives some impetus for the young lads to step up, it's as good a time as any for him to hang up those dusty boots and let someone else build a bit of momentum.

luketitz wrote: »
    Just seeing the news now, it is a bit of a shock and he will be missed, but it's not exactly prolific output we're losing on anything other than brawn and effort.

Hopefully this gives some impetus for the young lads to step up, it's as good a time as any for him to hang up those dusty boots and let someone else build a bit of momentum.

He offers alot more than Brawn and effort.

He can hold the ball up, it sticks to him, he can then link play very effectively.

Granted he is not prolific but we have strikers in the squad who, when not scoring (as most of our strikers tend to do), will be anonymous. Never the case with McGoldrick, far more skilful than you make him out to be above.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

Definitely a big loss. Not the best goal scorer but improves other players around him. We are very inexperienced in that position. A lot of pressure for young players to come in and do well from the get go. I don't think any of them are ready yet.

McGoldrick put in a good shift. Pity it took so long to get him capped. You might have thought he'd wait until the end of this 'season' of International football and be available for the one or two final games in the Nations league.

Well there's no point playing the next two games if you're still going to retire before the WC campaign. Hopefully Kenny can talk him around to staying involved for the next campaign. Even if it's just as an impact player to help take some pressure off Idah and Parrott.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Even if it's just as an impact player to help take some pressure off Idah and Parrott.

Idah and Parrott aren't even the first choices. Idah is around the team but Parrott has some way to go.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Idah and Parrott aren't even the first choices. Idah is around the team but Parrott has some way to go.

Parrott seems to be one of these mythical players who gets better and better the less they play.

• Advertisement

Parrott seems to be one of these mythical players who gets better and better the less they play.

He looked good that time he played for us but he could as easily end up in LOI.

We don't have first choices, our only decent striker just retired. And pretty sure Idah has played the most minutes since Kenny took over, and Parrott was the one called up to replace McGoldrick when he was ruled out of Kenny's first squad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Parrott is a prospect. That is all. He is struggling with injury at the moment but would need a good season with Millwall and then another season where he can become somewhat prolific. All going well he might be one to get excited about in a year or 2. At the moment he could easily end up nowhere due to injuries and off field issues like hanging around with known criminals.

I do not see how he can be ahead of Connolly, Idah, Robinson, Long, Collins or Obafemi.

that spot is shane longs now as long as he doesnt retire.

Parrott is a prospect. That is all. He is struggling with injury at the moment but would need a good season with Millwall and then another season where he can become somewhat prolific. All going well he might be one to get excited about in a year or 2. At the moment he could easily end up nowhere due to injuries and off field issues like hanging around with known criminals.

I do not see how he can be ahead of Connolly, Idah, Robinson, Long, Collins or Obafemi.

Connolly, better out wide and won't be the CF we need.
    Robinson, isn't a CF
    Long, older than McGoldrick and meh.
    Collins, really.
    Obafemi, relegated back to Southamptons reserves and let's be honest at 5'6 he's not going to play much unless it's out wide.

Others you could have mentioned are Maguire, whose also better out wide as is Curtis. And who said Parrott would be starting, when called up he was only brought in to add depth when McGoldrick wasn't fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Reckon we could see Connolly and Robinson upfront in a 3-5-2. If he sticks with a 4-3-3 Idah is the most natural and logical replacement. Shane Long is finished.

• Advertisement

I wonder would kenny try to get conor wickham on board?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I wonder would kenny try to get conor wickham on board?

Hopefully that is a joke.

Hopefully that is a joke.

Rather him than collins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Squad announcement:

Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (West Ham United), Caoimhín Kelleher (Liverpool), Mark Travers (AFC Bournemouth).

Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Matt Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur), Enda Stevens (Sheffield United), Kevin Long (Burnley), Shane Duffy (Celtic, on loan from Brighton and Hove Albion), John Egan (Sheffield United), Dara O'Shea (West Bromwich Albion).

Midfielders: Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), James McCarthy (Crystal Palace), Harry Arter (Nottingham Forest), Jeff Hendrick (Newcastle United), Alan Browne (Preston North End), Jayson Molumby (Brighton and Hove Albion), Robbie Brady (Burnley), Jack Byrne (Shamrock Rovers).

Forwards: Callum Robinson (West Bromwich Albion), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City), James McClean (Stoke City), Aaron Connolly (Brighton and Hove Albion), Adam Idah (Norwich City), James Collins (Luton Town), Ronan Curtis (Portsmouth), Daryl Horgan (Wycombe Wanderers).

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Rather him than collins.

Why?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement