Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Sirsok wrote: »
    Squad announcement:

Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (West Ham United), Caoimhín Kelleher (Liverpool), Mark Travers (AFC Bournemouth).

Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Matt Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur), Enda Stevens (Sheffield United), Kevin Long (Burnley), Shane Duffy (Celtic, on loan from Brighton and Hove Albion), John Egan (Sheffield United), Dara O'Shea (West Bromwich Albion).

Midfielders: Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), James McCarthy (Crystal Palace), Harry Arter (Nottingham Forest), Jeff Hendrick (Newcastle United), Alan Browne (Preston North End), Jayson Molumby (Brighton and Hove Albion), Robbie Brady (Burnley), Jack Byrne (Shamrock Rovers).

Forwards: Callum Robinson (West Bromwich Albion), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City), James McClean (Stoke City), Aaron Connolly (Brighton and Hove Albion), Adam Idah (Norwich City), James Collins (Luton Town), Ronan Curtis (Portsmouth), Daryl Horgan (Wycombe Wanderers).
    Hopefully James McCarthy starts. I feel he is the lynchpin of the midfield. When you watched the games he's started and the ones he's missed, it's clear the midfield is much less brittle with him in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Rather him than collins.

Sure we'd all rather Messi but we can't magically make him Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Might push them to go more for bamford now then if there is any chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Might push them to go more for bamford now then if there is any chance

Why would we want an Englishman playing for Ireland?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Quazzie wrote: »

Never stopped us before.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭pgj2015

noodler wrote: »
    Why?

wickham has played at a higher level and is only 27, collins will never play in the premier league and is nearly 30. plus he isnt god enough for international football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

wickham has played at a higher level and is only 27, collins will never play in the premier league and is nearly 30. plus he isnt god enough for international football.

Is this "not good enough for international football" judgement based on his debut away to Georgia and then away to Poland three days later?

Is that really fair?

Collins seems to score a comparatively decent number of goals for Luton in any case and we never seem to have a problem with Championship players in our squads.

I'm not sure what Wickham is currently doing goals wise that would make him such an attractive proposition for you - his actual nationality aside

Is this "not good enough for international football" judgement based on his debut away to Georgia and then away to Poland three days later?

Is that really fair?

Collins seems to score a comparatively decent number of goals for Luton in any case and we never seem to have a problem with Championship players in our squads.

I'm not sure what Wickham is currently doing goals wise that would make him such an attractive proposition for you - his actual nationality aside

He is scoring a lot in training:)

maybe I was too quick to judge collins, we will see how he gets on, there isnt too many options at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have rarely seen anyone more delighted to score than Collins against Bulgaria so at least he wants to play (I know this is a low bar but I wonder with some of the others).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭celt262

sugarman wrote: »

I'd have had O'Hara and/or Bazunu in there ahead of Kelleher and/or Travers. They're our only 2 keepers playing regular football for their clubs. Kelleher and Travers are still eligible for the u21s, so it wouldn't really weaken their squad if we took Bazunu.
    /QUOTE]

Would agree with this.

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I have rarely seen anyone more delighted to score than Collins against Bulgaria so at least he wants to play (I know this is a low bar but I wonder with some of the others).

Declan Rice was absolutely loving it when we scored in the games he played in.

celt262 wrote: »

I'd have had O'Hara and/or Bazunu in there ahead of Kelleher and/or Travers. They're our only 2 keepers playing regular football for their clubs. Kelleher and Travers are still eligible for the u21s, so it wouldn't really weaken their squad if we took Bazunu.
    /QUOTE]

Would agree with this.

How is Kelleher playing? I saw him play before and he looked like an outfield player in goal, just something unnatural about it. then I found out he is a converted outfield player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Quazzie wrote: »

Mcgoldrick is English

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

There are 10 keepers I would have before Kelleher tbh. He is another unproven entity. I understand getting him into the squad for the experience but that is on the understanding that he definitely does not play. If Randolph or Travers get injured then whoever' is brought in as a replacement needs to be ahead of Kelleher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

I'd leave Bazunu with the U21's unless he's going to get game-time in a friendly or something with the seniors. He's definitely our best prospect in goal at the moment. O'Hara should be in the squad. Travers and Kelleher need to get out and get game time badly.

None going to start ahead of Randolph until the start of the Euro 2024 campaign at the earliest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Sirsok wrote: »
    Squad announcement:

Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (West Ham United), Caoimhín Kelleher (Liverpool), Mark Travers (AFC Bournemouth).

Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Matt Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur), Enda Stevens (Sheffield United), Kevin Long (Burnley), Shane Duffy (Celtic, on loan from Brighton and Hove Albion), John Egan (Sheffield United), Dara O'Shea (West Bromwich Albion).

Midfielders: Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), James McCarthy (Crystal Palace), Harry Arter (Nottingham Forest), Jeff Hendrick (Newcastle United), Alan Browne (Preston North End), Jayson Molumby (Brighton and Hove Albion), Robbie Brady (Burnley), Jack Byrne (Shamrock Rovers).

No Cullen or Knight but we get Robbie Brady, again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Wickham would make James McCarthy appear indestructible.

You'd struggle to name 10 tbh... like strikers, its a bit of a problem area where we're caught in the middle of young potential coming through and players at the end of their career.

Ones worth a shout based on a mixture of experience & their age/future potential:

Randolph (33) - 2nd choice at West Ham in PL.
    O' Hara (24) - 1st choice at Burton in L1.
    Bazunu (18) - 1st choice at Rochedale in L1.
    Travers (21) - 2nd choice at Bournemouth in Ch.
    Kelleher (22 this month) - 3rd choice at Liverpool in PL.
    Rogers (24) - 1st choice at Kilmarnock in SPL.

Beyond that,

McDermott (27) - 1st choice at Kristiansand in Norwegian League.
    Talbot (23) - 1st/2nd choice at Bohs in LOI.
    McGinty (21) - 1st choice at Sligo in LOI.

Then the players at the end of their career,

Henderson (32) - 3rd/4th choice at Palace in PL.
    Doyle (35) - 2nd choice at Kilmarnock in SPL
    Westwood (36) - 4th choice at Sheff Weds in Ch.
    Elliot (34) - Unattached having been released by Newcastle in the summer.

There are a number of keepers in LOI that I would have before Kelleher. No need to go third choice for Kilmarnock.

That is not to say that they should be called up but they are more of a known entity than Kelleher

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Cant say I was aware of Doyle at Kilmarnock but surely he'd be a better shout that someone 3rd choice in their squad if he's playing regular in the SPL

• Advertisement

The rest wouldn't be anywhere near the level required

That was my point

sugarman wrote:
    Doyle is 2nd choice, former u21 player Danny Rogers is their no.1 Been in a few Ireland senior squads in the past.

Yeah meant Rogers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Seeing the squad announcement today gave off a bit of a depressing feeling. A lot of very average players in there who will likely never be good enough to play for us regularly particularly in the forward areas. If Connolly was to get injured we really don't have much quality or spark going forward at all. It's been a disappointing season so far for our young guns and losing McGoldrick on top of that really doesn't bode well for the short term.

Duffy fcuked up again there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭henke

He's having a horrible time since he went to Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I was ridiculed here when I said he wasn't good enough for Celfic, fair play to him he has well and truly proven my point, truly awful defender.

• Advertisement

henke wrote: »

He was terrified there that he was going to be beaten for pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Pogue eile wrote: »
    I was ridiculed here when I said he wasn't good enough for Celfic, fair play to him he has well and truly proven my point, truly awful defender.

He's playing in a terrible team.

They're a lot worse since he joined, he is a massive reason for the decline, utterly useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

henke wrote: »

Indeed Duffys form lately is a bit of a concern, you regularly hear complaints from some posters regarding players competing at a lower level and not being good enough for international football, but here you have a premier league defender struggling at a much lower standard than he previously played, it just goes to show that playing at a lower level does not automatically set the bar for what that player can do

One way of looking at it tbf.

Difficult to shake the feeling he was playing against EPL teams with Brighton not so long ago and acquitting himself well so I'm not sure about Celtic being too good for him.

I thought it would be bad for his Ireland career but I didn't think he'd struggle in the EPL like he has the last month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,651 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Who should partner Egan at CB in the next game lads?
    Surely not Duffy.

Difficult to shake the feeling he was playing against EPL teams with Brighton not so long ago and acquitting himself well so I'm not sure about Celtic being too good for him.

I thought it would be bad for his Ireland career but I didn't think he'd struggle in the EPL like he has the last month.

Duffy has a very limited game and can only play in a compact team where he is afforded lots of protection, playing in a Celtic team that regularly has 70% plus possession was always going to be a disaster, hes simply not a very good footballer, Potter didn't let him go for the hell of it, Potter is trying to get Brighton to play a more expansive game and Duffy has nothing to offer to that objective.

Will be very interested to see where he ends up next season, will struggle to find a club without dropping he's wages

I thought it was a strange move to go to the SPL at 28 but I suppose it is because he is from Derry and they love celtic. maybe his head is just messed up at the moment after his dad died. he should be dropped by celtic, maybe send him back to brighton, he is a liability now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭RoryMac

He's solid when it's backs to the wall defending and he can use his physicality to clear crosses and out muscle attackers.

At Celtic he's playing higher up the pitch and his lack of pace is being exploited by every team we play.

The bit I am surprised about is his poor reading of the game, I had expected his years in the EPL and the experience would allow him to get around the lack of pace but he's constantly being dragged out of position and exposed.

I certainly wouldn't say Celtic are too good for him but I'd say he's a very poor match for Celtic and the game they play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Surely not Duffy.
    Would be absolute insanity to drop Duffy for the November games when he's done well for us, has a good partnership with Egan, has an attacking threat, and we are playing vital games to put us into pot 2 for the World Cup qualifiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Duffy has a very limited game and can only play in a compact team where he is afforded lots of protection, playing in a Celtic team that regularly has 70% plus possession was always going to be a disaster, hes simply not a very good footballer, Potter didn't let him go for the hell of it, Potter is trying to get Brighton to play a more expansive game and Duffy has nothing to offer to that objective.

Will be very interested to see where he ends up next season, will struggle to find a club without dropping he's wages

I agree. This looks like an unfortunate style clash to me. Duffy in a team that's not playing expansive football and sets up to defend can be a great asset. We've seen it at Hughton's Brighton and under most of the coaches at Ireland. But he struggles when exposed for pace, which will happen in teams that push forward. It rarely happened with us, although there was a game I recall against Moldova where he was caught out. I probably remember it because it was so rare. Check out 1:14 here:

Stick him in a side like Burnley who largely sit back and I think he would thrive, but in side that is high up the pitch he sticks out like a sore thumb.

What's worrying from an Ireland point of view is that Kenny wants to play a brand of football which is more Potter than Hughton. A CB in a team like that needs traits that fit the style: good passing, good pace, an ability to make important recovery tackles when caught out. I don't think Duffy has these attributes. And yet with that being said, leaving him out would be a big call as there aren't great alternatives from what I can see, plus he represents one of our best avenues towards scoring a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Sky gave him a 3 rating. I do not remember ever seeing a rating so low before

He doesnt seem alert to danger at all these days, he was wandering around the box tonight not doing anything when being attacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

We have seen it with plenty of Irish players over the years. Richard Dunne also. Some players rise to the challenge of big games. If there's a big game Duffy tends to excel but his concentration isn't there for nothing games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

He's the main reason for them being a terrible team at the moment.

• Advertisement

He's the main reason for them being a terrible team at the moment.

I don't rate Duffy as highly as some do, but I'm sure it's a lot more than just Duffy, and you only need to look at Neil Lennon sitting on the bench looking uninterested to see that.

Surely not Duffy.

He's done nothing wrong for Ireland, until he starts messing up in an Ireland shirt he'll be partnering Egan, and that goes for all our players really. Can even see the defence being Doherty - Duffy - Egan - Stevens for the three games. Though I'd like to see O'Shea get some minutes across the defence in these games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I don't rate Duffy as highly as some do, but I'm sure it's a lot more than just Duffy, and you only need to look at Neil Lennon sitting on the bench looking uninterested to see that.

Yeah, it's definitely more than just Duffy but his defending has been comically bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

He’s suited to back to the wall defending. Celtic play a much higher line and aren’t constantly under the cosh. He doesn’t seem to be able to play this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Duffys being exposed by lennons tactics which would leave most centre halfs looking poor.You got two full backs dashing up the wings leaving him in no mans land when they are caught out of position especially one with a lack of pace its not rocket science why they are losing games pretty simple really

Zico ! wrote: »
    Duffys being exposed by lennons tactics which would leave most centre halfs looking poor.You got two full backs dashing up the wings leaving him in no mans land when they are caught out of position especially one with a lack of pace its not rocket science why they are losing games pretty simple really

Yet it’s won him trebles every season he’s been there, second time around

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Yet it’s won him trebles every season he’s been there, second time around

yip its true but players change or decline thats the difference between now and then time for a change of tactics from lennon now with what he has

He's done nothing wrong for Ireland, until he starts messing up in an Ireland shirt he'll be partnering Egan, and that goes for all our players really. Can even see the defence being Doherty - Duffy - Egan - Stevens for the three games. Though I'd like to see O'Shea get some minutes across the defence in these games.

This is true.

I don't buy that Duffy is somehow singlehandedly ruining Celtic's season, plenty of blame to go around there.

This is true.

I don't buy that Duffy is somehow singlehandedly ruining Celtic's season, plenty of blame to go around there.

It's not just Duffy. Ajer and Julien are both out injured and Bitton is a midfielder playing at centre half.

• Advertisement

I dont really see any decent alternative to Duffy, Long is a very similar player I think and wouldnt be an improvement. If O'Shea had kept his place for WBA then I'd have him in but hasnt played at all since the Finland game. He was injured but not sure if thats the case still.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement