Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I dont really see any decent alternative to Duffy, Long is a very similar player I think and wouldnt be an improvement. If O'Shea had kept his place for WBA then I'd have him in but hasnt played at all since the Finland game. He was injured but not sure if thats the case still.

Ciaran Clark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Ciaran Clark.

Not in the squad is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Not in the squad is he?

Nope, and apart from friendlies I don't think he's played a competitive game since February or March. Was back on the bench for Newcastle after an injury set back last month or the month before. Hopefully now he's over his injuries and gets back into the starting XI for Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1324675451562958849

Good to see McGuiness and Connell in the squad, must be their first call ups to the squad. Hope Danny Grant can get good minutes, the lads been in great form for Bohs this season and hopefully Parrott is fit enough to play a big role in the must win Iceland game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Can you imagine some people thought Celtic was a better move for Duffy than going to a Prem or to end Championship team ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Can you imagine some people thought Celtic was a better move for Duffy than going to a Prem or to end Championship team ,

It was a terrible move, going to be sitting on the bench in Scotland when he could have been sitting on the bench in Brighton! Where will be be next season - certainly wont be getting anywhere near 40K a week

well he is getting Europen football, he was up against zlatan ibrahimovic a couple of weeks ago. he wouldnt get that playing for a championship or a premier league team who would have him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Agreed, he'd have been much better off staying at his level rather than trying to make the step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,532 ✭✭✭✭noodler

well he is getting Europen football, he was up against zlatan ibrahimovic a couple of weeks ago. he wouldnt get that playing for a championship or a premier league team who would have him.

He'd be playing against Rashford, Salah, mane, aguero, de bruyne, Kane, son etc.

Better than an aging Ibra! But it's not clear he had a premier League option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

COYBIG

Wonder when we will get back to going to see the lads play

even when we are awful nothing like the atmosphere at a home game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

noodler wrote: »
    He'd be playing against Rashford, Salah, mane, aguero, de bruyne, Kane, son etc.

Better than an aging Ibra! But it's not clear he had a premier League option

By playing against do you mean sitting on a bench watching them play? The form he's in at the moment he wouldn't start for a lot of Leinster Senior League teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Good to see Brady starting for Burnley, Long drops to bench. Connolly returns to the bench for Brighton

By playing against do you mean sitting on a bench watching them play? The form he's in at the moment he wouldn't start for a lot of Leinster Senior League teams.

Oh I'm sorry, were we not talking about the benefits of PLAYING in the EPL versus the EL?

Oh I'm sorry, were we not talking about the benefits of PLAYING in the EPL versus the EL?

I think the point being that he couldn't get a game in the premier league and as I predicted when Ajer and Julien are back he wont be able to get a game in the SPL either!

So the reality is that his choice at the time was most likely Celtic or a massive pay cut. Brighton were on record as saying that they were only looking for a club that were either willing to buy or to pay 100% of his wages, no one else was interested.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    I think the point being that he couldn't get a game in the premier league and as I predicted when Ajer and Julien are back he wont be able to get a game in the SPL either!

So the reality is that his choice at the time was most likely Celtic or a massive pay cut. Brighton were on record as saying that they were only looking for a club that were either willing to buy or to pay 100% of his wages, no one else was interested.

All been said already.

All been said already.

Agreed, but someone didn't seem to get it, glad you have caught up now, well done!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Got delivery of the new sponsor free jersey today. Much nicer up close than the pics and a nice fit too. Very happy with it.

Me being a moron managed to order it twice though so now I have a spare one :pac:

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Agreed, but someone didn't seem to get it, glad you have caught up now, well done!

You just summarised the last 15 posts in some attempt to be informative.

Christ, you even parroted points in my original post whilst missing the actual point.

Off you pop now, cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

henke wrote: »
    New kit launch tomorrow. Will be interesting to see does it have a sponsor on the front.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get these personalised with a name/number? Doesn't seem to give an option on the Elvery's site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

C1-000000000001108188-636Wx636H?context=bWFzdGVyfGltYWdlc3wxNzE1MzB8aW1hZ2UvanBlZ3xpbWFnZXMvaDA0L2g1My8xMDE1MDM4Mjk2MDY3MC5qcGd8YzA3MzI2MDA3MWFmNWI5ODBjYWFmMTdkOWU2YjM3NmIzNDc1NGJkYmJiZjkyZDM3ZjVkOTY3OWMwNDk2NWYxYw

Have the FAI finally dropped the horrible sponsor branding from the jerseys? It actually looks half decent now.

• Advertisement

The white one is very plain.

sugarman wrote: »
    It's not really in the flesh, it's a ringer for the 1990 away with the triangular pattern running through it.

Both will look better with official name/number sets I reckon.

Any idea if that'll be any time soon, or will they wait until there's a sponsor first?

No idea, the only place that I've seen offer it in recent years has been from Umbro directly ...Aside from 2016 when a few select lifestyles had printing available for the Euros.

You can usually buy sets on eBay to press yourself, although I haven't been confident enough to try it myself on a jersey without wrecking it!

There also might be a new design / don't, we've had the current one since 2016.

Yeah Carroll's did it for me a few years ago on a kids jersey, but I'm surprised nowhere is offering it anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Nice finish by mcgoldrick

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    C1-000000000001108188-636Wx636H?context=bWFzdGVyfGltYWdlc3wxNzE1MzB8aW1hZ2UvanBlZ3xpbWFnZXMvaDA0L2g1My8xMDE1MDM4Mjk2MDY3MC5qcGd8YzA3MzI2MDA3MWFmNWI5ODBjYWFmMTdkOWU2YjM3NmIzNDc1NGJkYmJiZjkyZDM3ZjVkOTY3OWMwNDk2NWYxYw

Have the FAI finally dropped the horrible sponsor branding from the jerseys? It actually looks half decent now.

The moobs and ovaries are very on message...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Nunu wrote: »

We are really going to struggle imo. So many of our players in terrible form atm especially defensively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

wadacrack wrote: »
    We are really going to struggle imo. So many of our players in terrible form atm especially defensively

Enda Stevens being deployed as a center back isn't great for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Millwall really struggling for goals at the moment. Three goalless games in a row and no shots on target in the last two. I read some comments from their fans and they're very keen for Parrott to get back to fitness to give them some hope in front of goal. It would be great if he could overcome this annoying ankle issue.

• Advertisement

Millwall really struggling for goals at the moment. Three goalless games in a row and no shots on target in the last two. I read some comments from their fans and they're very keen for Parrott to get back to fitness to give them some hope in front of goal. It would be great if he could overcome this annoying ankle issue.

He's only played one game pre injury so you'd imagine that's based on desperation rather than anything theyve seen from him in their colours.

I reckon Kenny should throw parrott into the team and just tell him to enjoy himself, no pressure. He looked good in the game he played for us before and its not like we have any other options really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If he was fully fit and the u21s hadn't such important games, then yeah I'd agree.. there would be nothing to lose giving him 90 mins v Wales or Bulgaria ...but he hasn't played in almost 3 months, theres no way he's match fit yet and with added pressure to do well, I don't think it'd be a good outcome. He's better off with the 21s at the moment, could do with him coming off the bench. They badly missed players like him, Idah and Connolly last month. They were a bit flat with Obafemi and only really had Afolabi to spring from the bench who was only promoted from the u19s.

If Connolly and Idah are available for all 3 games, we should probably persist with them. They had a great understanding at u21s and they will eventually click and come good at senior level for us the more they play.

Yeah, was insane to play him as an isolated CF up against a back 3 in the Italy game, with no support for 20 meters in any direction most of the time.

I really hope they start playing him as a wide forward, as that's where he always looks best, drifting out into space and getting the ball where he can drive in and cause problems. Hoping he gets a loan move in January. Connolly too, to be honest, but I think he's juuust about too important from the bench for Brighton to let him go, but it's gonna hurt his development.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I reckon Kenny should throw parrott into the team and just tell him to enjoy himself, no pressure. He looked good in the game he played for us before and its not like we have any other options really.

We need to stop doing this and having too much expectation of our young players. Parrott needs to establish himself at club level. Putting him in v England when not ready will just dent his confidence. Molumphy, Connolly and Idah all struggling for minutes at the moment. We tend to over rate our young players in the media at the moment and its not helping.

We need to stop doing this and having too much expectation of our young players. Parrott needs to establish himself at club level. Putting him in v England when not ready will just dent his confidence. Molumphy, Connolly and Idah all struggling for minutes at the moment. We tend to over rate our young players in the media at the moment and its not helping.

It isnt like we would all be furious at parrott if he didnt score in every game, there is nothing to loose, we have scored 1 goal in 5 games. I thought he looked a class act against new zealand and he was only 18, I would have faith in him and connolly that they will turn into very good players.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I'd like to see O'Shea and Egan given a go in at least one of the games. He looked very good and very comfortable last month when he came in.

Duffy is still one of our best chances at a goal and I am not sure what performance in an Ireland shirt would justify dropping him.

Does anyone else think that playing England is a big mistake?

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Duffy is still one of our best chances at a goal and I am not sure what performance in an Ireland shirt would justify dropping him.

Agree.

There is a difference between playing and not playing. But once a player is playing, I never really over analyse club performances as there are so many factors, most importantly formation and tactics, that can vary. I'd prefer Duffy playing badly at Celtic than not playing at all at Brighton.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

We don't have a player called Molumphy.

We don't have a player called Molumphy.

I doubt that there is one person that read the post that didn't know what player was being referred to

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I doubt that there is one person that read the post that didn't know what player was being referred to

I'm usually hate pedantic posts but we need to do everything we can to avoid another McLean situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Gary Doc assisted Kane goal with a beautiful floated cross right on Kane forehead,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭henke

RoryMac wrote: »
    I'm usually hate pedantic posts but we need to do everything we can to avoid another McLean situation

Your right there the Molumby one is somewhat forgivable. Every time there is an Ireland match the place is flooded with McLean posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭henke

davycc wrote: »
    Gary Doc assisted Kane goal with a beautiful floated cross right on Kane forehead,

Gary Doc Spurs and Ireland legend :D. Good that Matt is doing better at Spurs though after a shaky start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I also doubt any legitimate football fan would have taken the post seriously given that the poster didn't even know said player's name. At the very least you should know a players name if you're going to be giving an opinion on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭robwen

Yeah would a week's work on the training pitch & time to get across his ideas not be more beneficial given how little time Kenny has had with them.

Do Ireland/FAI make money from this game?

I also doubt any legitimate football fan would have taken the post seriously given that the poster didn't even know said player's name. At the very least you should know a players name if you're going to be giving an opinion on them.

There are any number of reasons for spelling errors.
    1. Predictive text issues,
    2. Dyslexia,
    3. Not caring how it is spelt
    4. etc etc

None of the reasons take away from the point.
    legitimate football fan.
    What is that? A football fan born within holy wedlock :PAC:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

robwen wrote: »
    Yeah would a week's work on the training pitch & time to get across his ideas not be more beneficial given how little time Kenny has had with them.

Do Ireland/FAI make money from this game?

Yeah I would have thought the same about a weeks training being more beneficial, I know it's only a friendly but if we go out and get tanked it's really not going to do any favours for Kenny or morale in the squad. The only thing I can think is maybe he wanted a test against a top nation before the qualifiers come around in March.

henke wrote: »
    Your right there the Molumby one is somewhat forgivable. Every time there is an Ireland match the place is flooded with McLean posts.

A lot of people on here refer to Hendrick as Hendricks, even commentators on RTE do. its unforgivable for commentators to do it in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Enda Stevens ruled out of the upcoming games with an injury. Cyrus Christie called up as a replacement. Presume that will mean himself or Doherty at left back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

It'll be a fairly raw team v Eng, can't risk losing any more 1st 11, can see Eng experimenting against us and taking it easy, hopefully a little more than the 0-0 from a few years ago, which was possibly the worst game ever played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

davycc wrote: »

Gary docherty

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement