Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It'll be a fairly raw team v Eng, can't risk losing any more 1st 11, can see Eng experimenting against us and taking it easy, hopefully a little more than the 0-0 from a few years ago, which was possibly the worst game ever played

Why would an experimental Eng team take it easy?? There’s places at Euro 2020 at stake for them to play themselves into contention for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Duffy is still one of our best chances at a goal and I am not sure what performance in an Ireland shirt would justify dropping him.

Does anyone else think that playing England is a big mistake?

Yeah, I think it is madness considering it is only a friendly given the Covid19 unnecessary risk.
    Plus lets be honest, Ireland are so poor they are likely to get hammered no matter who England put out.

A 2-0/3-0 loss and a bit of fight would be the best to hope for, a moral victory of sorts.
    I certainly would be shocked if Ireland scored a goal.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A ridiculous time for a friendly that no one really wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    A ridiculous time for a friendly that no one really wants.

same as the 2015 one.

sugarman wrote: »
    Where in the name of jaysis is all this "hammering" talk coming from? (Not singling out you by the way, its all over social media posts the last few days.)

The one thing we do have going for us is that have a very good defense and a very good defensive record.

We had the joint 3rd best defensive record out of all 55 teams that competed in Euro 2020 qualifiers conceding just 5 goals under Mick.

Under Kenny we've conceded 2 in 6 games.

Our problem hasnt been conceding, its creating / scoring.

If this isnt an experimental line up and we put out our strongest team and take it seriously, i'd put the house on this being a 1-0, 0-0 or 1-1.

I have not viewed any of the social media stuff. So it is interesting that others have said it.

It all depends if England are bothered they could field 2/3 very strong teams and are fighting for places in a team on the up.
    I take your point on Ireland defensively, but most of that sort of record was based on the muck and bullets backs to the wall approach. And play for set pieces.

Ireland are now a weak side not playing to thier previous strengths. Not harrying hassling teams and being direct.
    They now stand off teams and pass it backwards and sideways not forwards. Zero threat/creativity no penetration and a toothless attack.

Plus Ireland have managed to concede a goal to both Finland and Bulgaria. If England are bothered at all they should get a few more.

I realise Ireland will be trying thier damnedest as it is England etc. But Ireland are an extremely limited side - without real technical skill. Trying to play technically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It'll be a fairly raw team v Eng, can't risk losing any more 1st 11, can see Eng experimenting against us and taking it easy, hopefully a little more than the 0-0 from a few years ago, which was possibly the worst game ever played

Eh, what? Assuming we are talking about the same game, it was actually a decent one. Shane long actually played quite well and gave their defence a tough time. I also remember them having a few very good chances near the end with Randolph pulling off some great saves.

I've seen worse games this weekend alone......never mind ever over all time.

Kirby wrote: »
    Eh, what? Assuming we are talking about the same game, it was actually a decent one. Shane long actually played quite well and gave their defence a tough time. I also remember them having a few very good chances near the end with Randolph pulling off some great saves.

I was at the game Djimi was talking about. It was dire. The most exciting thing that happened was Big Jack coming out at half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Enda Stevens ruled out of the upcoming games with an injury. Cyrus Christie called up as a replacement. Presume that will mean himself or Doherty at left back.

Unless Williams and Manning are injured then this is a head scratcher of a selection. So we'll have three RBs and no LBs apart from a few lads that can fill in when stuck. Surely it makes sense to call up a LB and have a look at a back up to Stevens who'll be 32 come WC 22.

Also it's not like Williams and Manning are just LBs and add versatility off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Unless Williams and Manning are injured then this is a head scratcher of a selection. So we'll have three RBs and no LBs apart from a few lads that can fill in when stuck. Surely it makes sense to call up a LB and have a look at a back up to Stevens who'll be 32 come WC 22.

Also it's not like Williams and Manning are just LBs and add versatility off the bench.

Is there an issue of some sort with Manning? Consecutive managers just don't seem to want to call him up, and it seems like since moving to Swansea he's played little football at all. Given that he seems to be a decent player, it does seem a bit strange that he only gets picked when we're down to the absolute bare bones.

• Advertisement

I don't know about his personality/attitude, but hasn't played enough and he's just not a very good defender IMO. He's naturally a left sided winger that has been shoehorned into playing as a left wingback for one season. Excellent attacking threat but very suspect defensively, gets caught out of position too much and just hasn't a defenders instinct. Hes fine as a wingback, but we don't play with wingbacks...as a leftback, he'd be no better than Brady or McClean has been.

Williams is probably worth a call up again to fill in, but he too is a centre half that can fill in at leftback rather than a natural ..but at least he's defensively sound in the position.

I think we're fine with Doherty and O'Shea being able to fill the position.

I think Williams, based on his very limited appearances for us, can feel somewhat hard done by not to get a call up.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Maybe Darragh Leahy could be considered, he hasn't done too badly playing this position for Dundalk their last few games

Maybe Darragh Leahy could be considered, he hasn't done too badly playing this position for Dundalk their last few games

chris shields or sean murray would be my picks from the Dundalk team from their performances in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭testtech05

I think Williams, based on his very limited appearances for us, can feel somewhat hard done by not to get a call up.

Williams went off injured for Blackburn with a thigh strain last week and didnt feature this weekend, perhaps that might have played a part in him not being picked? Otherwise as you said if he is fit can probably feel hard done by.

Funnily enough I always thought Williams was better at LB than CB. Like for a lad that started his career as a CB he really took to LB when switched there for a couple of seasons. LB is a problem area for us when we don't really have a second choice left full, compared to RB when you've Coleman, Christie and Doherty.

And that's without even getting into the U21s with Lee O'Connor, Danny McNamara or Dara O'Shea who can play there. At that age group for LB you've Darragh Leahy whose still in the LOI, Thomas O'Connor whose a midfielder that can play LB and Luca O'Connell whose a LB who plays in midfield. Sean Roughan could be a long term option but he's only turned 17, and I think Lincoln see him as a CB long term but 7 of his 9 appearances have been at LB this season.

Haven't watched him play in Europe for Dundalk, but he'll be 23 next year and this is his last year at U21 level. You'd hope he makes move outside of Ireland when his contract his up next year (assume he's contracted to the end of 2021).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Agree.

There is a difference between playing and not playing. But once a player is playing, I never really over analyse club performances as there are so many factors, most importantly formation and tactics, that can vary. I'd prefer Duffy playing badly at Celtic than not playing at all at Brighton.

He's not playing at Celtic now either. Dropped yesterday. Disappointed for him I thought it would be a good move for him and for Celtic. Unfortunately for whatever reason it's not working out.

Some Posters on here thought it was a bad move but they thought it was because it was a drop in class and it would be too easy for him and he'd pick up bad habits cos he's not being challenged etc. The opposite is the case, it was a move to a big club where the pressure is intense and demands to win all the time are intense and he has struggled with it. He's not the first player who has had a reasonably good career at the top level in England but then couldn't handle the intense pressure in Glasgow.

Over the international break if Julien gets fit, he and Ajer will be first choice and the only way Duffy will get a game is if Celtic go to a back 3 during a game or one of those two get injured, even then converted midfielder Bitton might be ahead of him as he was yesterday. Hopefully he'll get another chance and bring some composure to his play but he's out of the picture now.

Duffy's not a leader imo, in that he needs to be playing with someone who'll assume the role of being the leader in the defence. He had it with Grant Hanley at Blackburn, Lewis Dunk at Brighton and Richard Keogh for Ireland. One thing all three have in common is they are or were captains. Hanley captained Blackburn when Duffy played, Dunk became captain when they were promoted and Keogh was captain at Derby.

Then there's the fact Duffy has performed in defensive minded teams. Which makes you wonder why Celtic spent that much bringing in someone on loan who wasn't wanted at Brighton because technically he's not good enough and gets caught out like he has in games when teams aren't set up to be defensive minded.

I hope it works out for him. Thought the move would be beneficial in that both Brighton and Ireland have went with managers who'll want their defenders invovled more and won't be as defensively minded as Hughton and MON/Mick

Duffy's not a leader imo, in that he needs to be playing with someone who'll assume the role of being the leader in the defence. He had it with Grant Hanley at Blackburn, Lewis Dunk at Brighton and Richard Keogh for Ireland. One thing all three have in common is they are or were captains. Hanley captained Blackburn when Duffy played, Dunk became captain when they were promoted and Keogh was captain at Derby.

Then there's the fact Duffy has performed in defensive minded teams. Which makes you wonder why Celtic spent that much bringing in someone on loan who wasn't wanted at Brighton because technically he's not good enough and gets caught out like he has in games when teams aren't set up to be defensive minded.

I hope it works out for him. Thought the move would be beneficial in that both Brighton and Ireland have went with managers who'll want their defenders invovled more and won't be as defensively minded as Hughton and MON/Mick

I think that's a bit simplistic, he has shown leadership qualities before but I don't think he realised what was expected of him at Celtic and as a result his confidence is shot. You're right in saying that he probably is more suited to a team that defends deep. For Ireland Stephen Kenny doesn't want that either so he's going to find himself in difficulty there as well. I still expected that he could be good for Celtic playing alongside a young attack minded cb like Ajer and maybe he still will if he can get back in the team.

There are other examples, lots of them of players who couldn't hack it in Glasgow for Celtic or Rangers but had perfectly fine careers at the top level in England. Maybe they underestimated the task and believed the conventional "wisdom" re Scottish football. Players like Teemu Pukki, Joey Barton, going back to Tore Andre Flo, Duncan Ferguson, Tony Cascarino. All had relatively successful careers in the top two flights in England, but failed in the high intensity pressure of Glasgow in what is often described as a pub league.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Kirby wrote:

It was so bad the pundits on ITV couldn't do any analysis at full time, iirc they just sat there laughing and talking about paint drying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Kirby wrote: »

Are you serious?? That was close to being the worst game of football ever played.
    I was at the last game we played in Wembley against them alright where Shane Long scored a cracking header.

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Are you serious?? That was close to being the worst game of football ever played.
    I was at the last game we played in Wembley against them alright where Shane Long scored a cracking header.

Think people are mixing up the two games i.e. the poster you replied to is talking about the Wembley game rather than the Aviva game.

It was so bad the pundits on ITV couldn't do any analysis at full time, iirc they just sat there laughing and talking about paint drying

So basically a typical post game analysis then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Think people are mixing up the two games i.e. the poster you replied to is talking about the Wembley game rather than the Aviva game.

Yeah I thought that had to be it alright cos 2015 was putrid

Was terrible, was an end of season friendly that resembled a training match. Neither side were up for it. Just passed it back and forth for 90mins while thinking about heading off on their holidays.

I remember it being 12pm K.O on a Sunday with no pubs open and thinking, "I got out of bed for this?" ...thankfully it was on the season ticket, but people were paying a €120 a ticket :pac:

Idiots. same people wouldn't hand over 15 euro to go see Dundalk v shamrock rovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭polarbearhead

Ya it was one of the worst games ever. I remember Raheem Sterling getting booed by Ireland / Liverpool supporters around me because he wouldn't sign a contract extension at Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Ya it was one of the worst games ever. I remember Raheem Sterling getting booed by Ireland / Liverpool supporters around me because he wouldn't sign a contract extension at Liverpool

Ye that was embarrassing alright

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Ye that was embarrassing alright

Is Ireland unique in world football as a country who supports foreign teams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Not at all. Pretty sure the scandinavians are big into the premier league.

I live in Canada and it is actually very similar to the difference between CFL and NFL. Majority of people in Canada support NFL. Huge neighbouring country with richest league in the world, splashed all across TV ( sound familiar?)
    I do find that the few who support CFL are pretty hardcore in their support and wouldnt give the NFL the time of day.

Yes. Liverpool, United, Chelsea are pretty much unheard of outside these islands.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Yes. Liverpool, United, Chelsea are pretty much unheard of outside these islands.

Chelsea not so much but Liverpool and Man U are known all over the world. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

We aren't too far away from the majority of Irish "Premier League' supporters hoping they win an International tournament.

There are plenty that watch the England national team play but not watch an Ireland game.

We aren't too far away from the majority of Irish "Premier League' supporters hoping they win an International tournament.

There are plenty that watch the England national team play but not watch an Ireland game.

I reckon we will see Irish lads born here trying to play for england at some stage.

I've literally never met anyone like this. Where are these people?

I've literally never met anyone like this. Where are these people?

I remember one of my friends was more interested in england naming their team for euro 2016 than he was in Ireland announcing our team. he is 100% Irish btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I remember one of my friends was more interested in england naming their team for euro 2016 than he was in Ireland announcing our team. he is 100% Irish btw.

You call that a friend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I know a similar guy. Went on holiday to England as a kid, and came back claiming he's English. :rolleyes:

Team? or Squad? You'd pretty much be 100% able to pick who was gonna be in the squad for Ireland. Not so much for England.

I think plenty of posters here are far more invested in the English club they picked than in the Irish national team.

There has certainly been Irish matches where people post away on the English club threads, and posters who have thousands of posts here over years and never comment on the Irish team.

• Advertisement

100% edgelord

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I recall that phenomenon as well.

There was a discussion amongst the soccer dingus' in our general lads WhatsApp group about it.

I was almost apoplectic with rage and confusion. But then again I'm a Shels fan and Ireland ST holder. So I guess I set myself up by surrounding myself with idiots.

Team? or Squad? You'd pretty much be 100% able to pick who was gonna be in the squad for Ireland. Not so much for England.

squad. But why would you care who England picked for their squad?

You call that a friend?

I know for a fact that if he played in the premier league and had say an English grandfather and was good enough, he would choose to play for England over Ireland. some people just get too immersed in British culture.

squad. But why would you care who England picked for their squad?

Well if you follow English football there would be the anticipation of who gets dropped, if a massive shock is picked (like Walcott before he'd played a game), what strikers they go with etc. English football is a real life soap opera. Are they worth putting a few quid on? Who'll be the pantomime villain after this tournament?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

photos in the papers today showing the team training with a big 3 on the bibs.
    is there a danger that the new jerseys will have it on them soon too? or is that sponsorship due to end at the end of the year? i thought it had already ended.

• Advertisement

photos in the papers today showing the team training with a big 3 on the bibs.
    is there a danger that the new jerseys will have it on them soon too? or is that sponsorship due to end at the end of the year? i thought it had already ended.

Probably old bibs being used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

As far as I know, as in I’ve heard, 3 supplemented the FAI with a small cash injection (in relative terms) until the end of this year to continue as a corporate sponsor. Not enough to have the sponsor on jerseys they’ll be selling next year too when 3 are gone but enough to sponsor training gear etc for remaining fixtures this calendar year.

Main deal ceased on July 31st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Btw I have another Elverys 15% off code if anybody still considering buying a sponsorless jersey?

ELV3PLUS9863

It’s a generic code can be used by multiple users.

Nunu wrote: »
    Btw I have another Elverys 15% off code if anybody still considering buying a sponsorless jersey?

ELV3PLUS9863

It’s a generic code can be used by multiple users.

Thanks, looks way nicer with no sponsor I think. Has a Tipp 1920 jersey throwback feel about it

1 player has tested positive for Covid-19.

FAI has said there was no other close contacts.

Here we go again...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement