Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

People have been calling for it since long before Kenny took over. You're really trying to say you've mentioned it since Kenny took over.

Mick McCarthy did play a 3-5-2 away to Switzerland. Kenny has been in charge for a few games now and he said in his own words he was experimenting with some of them. Anyway he didn’t try 3-5-2 so the opportunity has passed.

The honeymoon is over for Stephen Kenny now. His team needs to start scoring goals and getting results.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Just saw this tweet from Aaron Connolly.

He says its one of the worst articles ever about him. An article talking about his injuries

https://twitter.com/AaronConnolly_9/status/1327612233275338753?s=20

Connolly needs to watch his mouth a bit. I haven’t read the article but that tweet and the couple last month during that debacle, while refreshing, wears thin after a while and just looks petulant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Just saw this tweet from Aaron Connolly.

He says its one of the worst articles ever about him. An article talking about his injuries

https://twitter.com/AaronConnolly_9/status/1327612233275338753?s=20

It’s in no way a bad article. It just lists his injuries and hopes his luck with injuries change. Don’t see what his issue is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I don't think time is up for Kenny, I'd like him to see through the world Cup campaign. He's had really poor luck with injuries.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Faugheen wrote: »
    Connolly needs to watch his mouth a bit. I haven’t read the article but that tweet and the couple last month during that debacle, while refreshing, wears thin after a while and just looks petulant.

Should read the article then. I've read better stuff written by Balls.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Anyone who thinks time is up needs their head examined. FAI can't afford to sack him so he'll get a fair crack at it, which is warranted imo. Hopefully our finishing improves in these 2 games after we left a few wins behind us last month

What constitutes a fair crack at it? Staunton got 17 games. His final record read 6 wins, 6 draws, 5 losses. A 35% win ratio.

Kenny has so far had 6 games. His record reads 0 wins, 2 draws, 4 losses. 0% win ratio.

He is already over a third of the way through Staunton's number and by next week he'll be almost at the halfway stage of it. The clock is ticking. Doherty's post-match comments were very interesting:
    "I feel embarrassed at times when we come off the pitch because we're losing games and not scoring goals. It's not nice", while also adding that "it felt like we gave up a little bit tonight once the second goal went in".

Bad enough our players are worried about the lack of goals but if we lose the fighting spirit we've had under all the previous coaches, then not only will we not move forwards under this coaching regime, we'll end up going backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

What constitutes a fair crack at it? Staunton got 17 games. His final record read 6 wins, 6 draws, 5 losses. A 35% win ratio.

Kenny has so far had 6 games. His record reads 0 wins, 2 draws, 4 losses. 0% win ratio.

He is already over a third of the way through Staunton's number and by next week he'll be almost at the halfway stage of it. The clock is ticking. Doherty's post-match comments were very interesting:

Bad enough our players are worried about the lack of goals but if we lose the fighting spirit we've had under all the previous coaches, then not only will we not move forwards under this coaching regime, we'll end up going backwards.

Especially against england. Albeit a friendly, it's still the bloody saxons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Kenny will get the World Cup qualifiers which finish this weekend next year.

He will have had 8 games 7 of which were competitive in the bag as preparation for those 10 qualifiers next year so he can have no excuses.

Anyone who thinks time is up needs their head examined. FAI can't afford to sack him so he'll get a fair crack at it, which is warranted imo. Hopefully our finishing improves in these 2 games after we left a few wins behind us last month

If you think a manager can continue in charge while his team picks up no points and scores no goals then I think it’s you that needs your head examined. He is getting a fair crack at it. We need an indication over the next couple of games that this management set up is capable of delivering anything in terms of results and goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Lose today and rightly or wrongly Kenny will be under pressure going into that Bulgaria game. We may have players playing at Premier League level but lets be honest none are generally high performers at their clubs. Kenny is playing a system now that exposes our players ability tbh. I think in general he is doing fine . Team selection and tactically we are set up well. Which is why we are much better in possession . Performances bar the England game have i general been much better but disappointing results. The England game exposed the lack of ability in our squad. We are well behind the likes of Denmark, Sweden and even Hungary. I would say we ae on par with Iceland and their golden generation is beginning to decline. This country needs to look at developing football outside of Dublin too. The grassroots game is really struggling which is a concern. This will be the foundation for developing for talented players throughout the country.

Players in this country also need to look beyond England. The level their is very high and they may develop better in Scandinavian league and even Holland and Belgium and then move to England. Championship clubs are recruiting high performing players from Poland and similar level leagues . That's how high the level is now. Will be interesting to see where Jack Byrne moves to. The excuse of style of football in England is a poor argument now. Most clubs now play a modern style of football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

TheCitizen wrote: »
    If you think a manager can continue in charge while his team picks up no points and scores no goals then I think it’s you that needs your head examined. He is getting a fair crack at it. We need an indication over the next couple of games that this management set up is capable of delivering anything in terms of results and goals.

I would hardly call it a fair crack considering the massive issues of injuries and covid every time he tries to name a team. And anyone who thinks are problems will disappear by getting a new manager didn't watch McCarthy's reign very closely either. We simply do not have a prolific goal scorer in our side. Our midfield consists of guys who work hard for their clubs, but aren't creative players. The days of Damian Duff, Finnan, Keane and even Kilbane are long gone. Kenny should get the World Cup campaign and even if he fails, I am sure he will leave our style of football in a better place than what we have seen over the last number of years.

edgecutter wrote: »
    I would hardly call it a fair crack considering the massive issues of injuries and covid every time he tries to name a team. And anyone who thinks are problems will disappear by getting a new manager didn't watch McCarthy's reign very closely either. We simply do not have a prolific goal scorer in our side. Our midfield consists of guys who work hard for their clubs, but aren't creative players. The days of Damian Duff, Finnan, Keane and even Kilbane are long gone. Kenny should get the World Cup campaign and even if he fails, I am sure he will leave our style of football in a better place than what we have seen over the last number of years.

Yes but we still should be able to compete with Wakes and beat Bulgaria. He needs goals and results in games v teams of that standing

Is it Kenny + coaching staff at fault for players not being able to finish? We were woeful v Eng but in the 3 games previous we were very unlucky. There was a huge improvement between the game in Dub v Finland and the 2nd leg and yes I know result was the same. Patience is needed but he'll undoubtedly be under pressure if we dont get a win from these 2.

He's also has the most games in the shortest span of time of most recent managers has he? Personally think with covid+injuries coupled with hectic schedule hes really been thrown in at the deep end.

He has two games in the next few days. He needs goals and results in those games against similarly ranked opponents. It’s a results business he has to start showing that he can results from these players

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Will we see a goal today lads?

What's the longest run we have gone without scoring?

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1327937035525615616

Gonna be a tough game for the lads today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1327937035525615616

Gonna be a tough game for the lads today.

Anywhere showings/streaming it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

LowOdour wrote: »

It's on one of the eirsport channels.

LowOdour wrote: »

Eirsports is the only legal option I think, unless there's an Icelandic channel streaming it somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Surprised ireland are such heavy favourites considering all the players missing

• Advertisement

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Surprised ireland are such heavy favourites considering all the players missing

Iceland are no slouches either. Think they go through as one of the best runners up if they win today as their game against Armenia is cancelled and they'll probably get the 3-0 win there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

kksaints wrote: »
    It's on one of the eirsport channels.

Which one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Will we see a goal today lads?

What's the longest run we have gone without scoring?

"The Republic are without a goal in their past five matches in all competitions, their longest run without scoring since another run of five between November 1995 and May 1996."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54819958

I expect Ireland to extend the record for a while yet. Maybe a friendlies against San Marino, Andorra, and Liechtenstein would be an idea?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

"The Republic are without a goal in their past five matches in all competitions, their longest run without scoring since another run of five between November 1995 and May 1996."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54819958

I expect Ireland to extend the record for a while yet. Maybe a friendlies against San Marino, Andorra, and Liechtenstein would be an idea?

What's the point, the same people talking about the lack of results will be the same people saying "sure it's only *insert teams name here*, and it's only a friendly".

One nil down. Done on the counter attack and a superb finish from Eidur Gudjohnsens son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Maybe our young lads just ain't as good as first thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

They're missing Bazunu, Kelleher, O'Shea, Knight, Molumby, Idah, Connolly. Give them a break.

Weather ain't great and the final ball letting our lads down. Obafemi had a good chance but a poor second touch let him down. Iceland caught us on the counter and poor keeping from McGinty, who was lucky to not give away a penalty in the first couple of minutes. Need to get Parrott on as Iceland are just going to keep men behind the ball.

Or the better players have been called up to the seniors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

What's the point, the same people talking about the lack of results will be the same people saying "sure it's only *insert teams name here*, and it's only a friendly".

Don't mind them football teams are not run by whinging observers. Will give players confidence and rebuild team spirit.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Parrott coming on for the second half with Anthony Scully making way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Acosta

The co-commentator is woeful whoever he is

• Advertisement

Acosta wrote: »
    The co-commentator is woeful whoever he is

Johnny McDonnell

We should still be able beat Iceland with few top players missing.

Very worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Looks like the u21s are suffering from the same problems as the senior team ie creating chances but not putting them away, need to make a few substitutions Grant and Leahy would make a good impact on this game for the final 30 minutes

Looks like the u21s are suffering from the same problems as the senior team ie creating chances but not putting them away, need to make a few substitutions Grant and Leahy would make a good impact on this game for the final 30 minutes

Would be pushing Parrott into the centre and bring those two on to attack down the left.

1-1 now. Think it might go down as an own goal.

Nathan Collins sent off in the 88th min

2-1 Iceland in the 93rd min

Parrott gives it away. Stands looking at it and Iceland score.

Thats not regarded as a particularly strong Iceland u21 team and we have lost twice to them. Players have been called up but that has been the case with other teams in the group too. We seem to have vastly overrated some of our players. Not many are doing well at club level atm bar Jason Knight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Nathan Collins sent off in the 88th min

A stupid red card to pick up. Ireland had been going well until then.

We lost to a country a tenth of our size and they had three 18 year olds playing for them.

But ya we were missing a few :pac:

We lost to a country a tenth of our size and they had three 18 year olds playing for them.

But ya we were missing a few :pac:

3 of Iceland's back 4 play in the Icelandic league that finished weeks ago. That league would be weaker than LOI

wadacrack wrote: »
    Thats not regarded as a particularly strong Iceland u21 team and we have lost twice to them. Players have been called up but that has been the case with other teams in the group too. We seem to have vastly overrated some of our players. Not many are doing well at club level atm bar Jason Knight

They've beaten Sweden twice, 5-0 in Sweden, so I'd say this Iceland team are stronger than some think.

Edit: read the results wrong, my bad.

They've beaten Sweden twice, 5-0 in Sweden, so I'd say this Iceland team are stronger than some think.

No no, everyone is an expert on the Icelandic u-21s.

Did we not beat Sweden 4-0 under Kenny? I think it’s safe to say their U21s aren’t any great shakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Acosta

Did we not beat Sweden 4-0 under Kenny? I think it’s safe to say their U21s aren’t any great shakes.

They looked a hell of a lot better under Kenny

I know it’s incredible that the u21s havent had the same fortunes since Kenny left.

Acosta wrote: »
    They looked a hell of a lot better under Kenny

Sweden’s U21s looked better under Kenny? What?

• Advertisement

Their own media would acknowledge that. They lost 5-0 to Sweden

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement