Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Johnny McDonnell

How anyone thinks this guy has a voice for commentary is unbelievable, grating accent and a poor talker in general.

Often hear him on radio too, joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Acosta

Sweden’s U21s looked better under Kenny? What?

Sorry misread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

They've beaten Sweden twice, 5-0 in Sweden, so I'd say this Iceland team are stronger than some think.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1363269/Show/International-EURO-U-21-2019-2020-Sweden-U21-Iceland-U21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

A sickener for the under 21s!

Johnny McDonnell

How anyone thinks this guy has a voice for commentary is unbelievable, grating accent and a poor talker in general.

Often hear him on radio too, joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Not based on todays result, but i was wary of the hype around the players coming through.
    All going well, 4 or 5 of the current u21 players will have some sort of consistent career in top level leagues. Even if its careers with the likes of Brighton, West Brom etc i think we will be doing well.

Connolly, O Shea, Kelleher, Molumby and Parrot look to be the most promising. Anything more than that would be a bonus. Depressing in some ways, but its where we are at.

It must be said that the time limit put on the handover between McCarthy and Kenny has turned out to be a disaster

If McCarthy was left finish the qualifying and Kenny let continue the great job he was doing with the 21”s we could now be sitting here qualified for both tournaments.

But here we are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Parrot was a disgrace there. There was only two minutes to kill, he runs towards his own goal with the ball, loses it and compounds the mistake by not even trying to win it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Been a depressing 3 months and also bit of wake up call.

Still believe in Kenny to change things, but I'm just not as confident on quality of players coming through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

tastyt wrote: »
    It must be said that the time limit put on the handover between McCarthy and Kenny has turned out to be a disaster

If McCarthy was left finish the qualifying and Kenny let continue the great job he was doing with the 21”s we could now be sitting here qualified for both tournaments.

But here we are

I have absolutely zero confidence McCarthy was getting us to the Euros anyway. He had his 'cup finals' against the Swiss and Danes and failed. What he especially definitely never looked like achieving was the away win that would have been needed against Slovakia.

Probably agreed on Kenny though, the U-21's had a much better chance with him there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I just want to see us get a few goals today and get things rolling.

Very depressing with all the defeats such as todays u21

I would settle for a 1 nil win. Anything that we could all hang our hat on!!

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I have absolutely zero confidence McCarthy was getting us to the Euros anyway. He had his 'cup finals' against the Swiss and Danes and failed. What he especially definitely never looked like achieving was the away win that would have been needed against Slovakia.

Probably agreed on Kenny though, the U-21's had a much better chance with him there.

Maybe so but Slovakia with two of their best players missing are a much easier prospect than either Denmark or Switzerland, home or away

Anyway it’s all hearsay and guess work now. I just want to see us score from play today please

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

sugarman wrote: »
    Are you forgetting just how badly we struggled against the mighty Gibraltar and Georgia under Mick too?

Against Denmark and Switzerland we didn't even try play until we went behind a goal behind and only then did we push push for an equaliser. All 3 goals came from a setpiece off a big defenders head.

Nothing different than we've been doing under Kenny only Duffy hasnt been as clinical due to his poor form ..although saying that he is still the sole goalscorer under Kenny off the back of an injury time set piece.

Mick would have had us draw 0-0 or 1-1 at best v Slovakia and it would have been decided on penos ..and he'd have bit your hand off for it before a ball was kicked.

...If only we won on penos under Kenny last month, because the tone would have been an incredibly different one despite us still struggling to score a goal.

Exactly all of this. People genuinely have short memories.

We should have won that game against Slovakia, yet people think it’s Kenny’s fault a professional footballer missed an open goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Acosta

Fans need to be patient and give Kenny a couple of years to get things going. There's no alternative as far as I can see. I can never remember a time when we had such a small group of decent players. A lot of them are nowhere ready for international level football, but due to a lack of talent, injuries and covid they are in. It's such a tough start of Kenny with all the circumstances. Plus he's had no luck whatsoever. I'd much prefer we try to play football with these players and lose a few games whilst trying to build something than going out playing for draws and trying to scrape a win playing caveman football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Been a depressing 3 months and also bit of wake up call.

Still believe in Kenny to change things, but I'm just not as confident on quality of players coming through.

Yeah it really has been. I was so optimistic back in April when Kenny got the job and with the amount of young talent we have coming through and a great chance of both the senior and u21s qualifying for a tournament. Unfortunately since then it has pretty much gone as badly as possible.

Agreed on the players coming through, plenty of reason to be optimistic but feeling a bit more cautious now. Aside from probably O'Shea, Knight and Bazunu it feels like everyone else's stock has fallen slightly in the past few months.

Line up against Wales.

Randolph; Doherty, Duffy, Long, O'Shea; Molumby, Hendrick, Brady; Horgan, McClean, Idah.

Good to see Hourihane and Christie dropped who were shocking on Thursday. Happy to see Molumby start in midfield but still not convinced the Brady in midfield experiment will work. Hopefully Byrne gets some time off the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hendrick has been very poor for Ireland but we don’t seem to have anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Another loss incoming this evening.

Hendrick has been very poor for Ireland but we don’t seem to have anyone else.

He really hasn’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

At least Hourihane isn't starting, unfortunately he's still in today's squad though.

No Josh Cullen on the bench. Thought he done well for Ireland when he played

Slovakia have beaten Scotland, which I think makes it impossible for us to overtake them in the hunt for pot 2 seeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Kenny persisting stubbornly with Hendrick yet again. As Einstein said, 'the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result.' Hendrick's been a liability, and once again this is another McCarthy-style selection.

The Welsh central midfield isn't anything to fear at least and they have the Giggs controversy over them, so there shouldn't be any more excuses if this is another failure of tactics and performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

At least Hourihane isn't starting, unfortunately he's still in today's squad though.

Hourihane to come on after 60 mins when we are chasing an equaliser

Kenny persisting stubbornly with Hendrick yet again. As Einstein said, 'the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result.' Hendrick's been a liability, and once again this is another McCarthy-style selection.

The Welsh central midfield isn't anything to fear at least and they have the Giggs controversy over them, so there shouldn't be any more excuses if this is another failure of tactics and performance.

I have genuinely no idea why people have it in for Hendrick. It’s baffling at this stage. I don’t know what you can expect him to do when Hourihane beside him wouldn’t do anything.

Hendrick was the only player looking to get the ball from the defence against England. His ball control is better than any other player we have.

I swear Irish fans always find issue with the actual footballers in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,278 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Faugheen wrote: »
    I have genuinely no idea why people have it in for Hendrick. It’s baffling at this stage. I don’t know what you can expect him to do when Hourihane beside him wouldn’t do anything.

Hendrick was the only player looking to get the ball from the defence against England. His ball control is better than any other player we have.

Have to agree with this. I'm by no means Hendricks biggest fan but he showed for the ball and actually tried playing forward passes v England, it never stuck though. There were far worse out there than him and they get a pass it seems.

I'd love to see SK try a 3 at the back. Think we have the players suited to it. Would give us some stability in midfield and may actually help Duffy who is so far out of form that it's just not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Agree with the above about Hendrick too. He was the only player who wanted to receive the ball from the defenders the other night. Yeah, his quality isn't great, but we don't have much better.

He's definitely better playing deeper than when we experimented with him as a number 10 imo

Still Ill wrote: »
    Agree with the above about Hendrick too. He was the only player who wanted to receive the ball from the defenders the other night. Yeah, his quality isn't great, but we don't have much better.

He's definitely better playing deeper than when we experimented with him as a number 10 imo

He’s far from Andrea Pirlo, granted, but he isn’t the problem with the midfield by any stretch of the imagination.

• Advertisement

Ah lads I must be watching a different Ireland team then, Jeff Hendrick has been consistently one of our most lackluster performers over the past couple of years. He has arguably improved a bit since Kenny has taken over, but generally he goes missing in games. He avoids getting on the ball, does not have adventurous passing or an eye for goal, poor decision making at times. Now I do think there is a player in there somewhere, he can play well and has played well at times but not on a regular enough basis. Having himself and Hourihane in midfield together is a recipe for disaster as neither of them really want to be on the ball. Hendrick deserves his place in the team overall but his performances in an Ireland jersey have generally been poor for the past few years. How much of this was down to tactics/doing what his managers have asked of him I do not know.

Slovakia have beaten Scotland, which I think makes it impossible for us to overtake them in the hunt for pot 2 seeding.

We really need to beat Wales tonight

Em4NKmmWEAEv4JL?format=png&name=small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Phil Babb talking some ****e about the media and fans not being patient with Kenny. You'd wonder how just how out of touch he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Hoping for a good performance tonight, and honestly, would love a goal from open play. Not too bothered about the nations league as a whole, the result don’t become important until WC qualification.

Who else should play at 6?

I actually don’t have a problem with him there with McCarthy and Arter out. Hendrick is a problem at 10, not at 6.

As always hard to see who scores goals though... Idah up on his own is a problem - it worked with McGoldrick, but Idah is still very young and raw to play that sort of role. Much rather 2 up with the players we have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Phil Babb talking some ****e about the media and fans not being patient with Kenny. You'd wonder how just how out of touch he is.

Probably reading this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Faugheen wrote: »

Conversely, there's a pocket of Irish fans who love to deify pretty average players because 'they try and get on the ball' or whatever. What we need is impact and end product and Hendrick gives us **** all of either most of the time.

Another chance right here tonight for him to produce something...

Duffys confidence seems to be shot. Making a lot of small errors

Idah doing well. Kenny has us well set up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

The screwing around at the back needs to stop.

Horgan having a bit of a go at them anyway

The screwing around at the back needs to stop.

Horgan having a bit of a go at them anyway

Thats how all teams play, better than just playing 50/50 long balls

• Advertisement

We started very well but the last 10 we have dropped off things worryingly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

wadacrack wrote: »

Duffy probably isn't going to be the player for this approach in the long run....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

BBC Radio Wales - 'Ireland look like statues'

In other words no movement?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

wadacrack wrote: »

Not if it is only side to side and backwards for the sake of it.
    Lack of forward penetrative passes.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

That’s Kenny ball.

Are you watching or just listening? Have made plenty of good forward moves - literally again right this second...

We are struggling to play it out from the back.

Robbie Brady’s best half of football for us in years

Horgan also doing well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That’s Kenny ball.

That’s bull****.
    Your bias shows you up.

We are struggling to play it out from the back.

Some really stupid choices and poor touches alright. Once we actually get out of the back line and into midfield we look good going forward from there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement