Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I was a big Kenny fan but its not working out at all. If we lose against Bulgaria then he should be let go.

We know we can't score, he knows it but he can't seem to fix it. We keep doing the same thing over and over.

We struggle to score so we need to have two up front. 1 clearly isn't working.

'If' lol

Even the days where we could say 'if' are gone.

The team is improving though...so they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was a big Kenny fan but its not working out at all. If we lose against Bulgaria then he should be let go.

We know we can't score, he knows it but he can't seem to fix it. We keep doing the same thing over and over.

I disagree with replacing him - who would you get, who would want the job. Plus the FAI are paupers.

He has to change things and mix things up a bit. Hopefully League C will let the players develop and let Kenny settle in as well on a strategy.

Because the Welsh on radio described Ireland as a good side on paper - a few times. Watching another EPL player coming on.

I know Wales have Bale. But I think you pick a style to suit the players available not shoehorn players into a style regardless.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

I disagree with replacing him - who would you get, who would want the job. Plus the FAI are paupers.

He has to change things and mix things up a bit. Hopefully League C will let the players develop and let Kenny settle in as well on a strategy.

Because the Welsh on radio described Ireland as a good side on paper - a few times. Watching another EPL player coming on.

I know Wales have Bale. But I think you pick a style to suit the players available not shoehorn players into a style regardless.

Yeah but a direct style doesn't suit us either. We have no one up front who can actually win the ball regularly atm and our options on the wing aren't great either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The more time goes by, the more that Delaney succession scheme looks to have been one last turd left by him on the doorstep of Irish football. Perhaps it's wishful thinking on my part, but in an alternate universe we might have had McCarthy's tactics take us to the Euros, Kenny see the u21s through, and a much happier overall Irish set-up. The succession scheme placed a countdown clock over the heads of two coaches that were still in with a shout of fulfilling their objectives. It has ended up disrupting everything.

As it stands, things look truly grim. 7 games played; 0 wins, 2 draws, 5 defeats.

660 minutes of football; 0 goals in open play and just 1 from a set-piece.

This new era was supposed to bring about a better style of play but looking at that second half against Wales we are still heavily reliant on our old friend, the set-piece. Hoofing it to Duffy remains the go-to tactic in our hour of need. The likes of Hendrick and Hourihane simply aren't up to the demands being placed on them and they don't have it in their locker to produce the football asked. Picking these lads over and over and hoping they will step up is a doomed enterprise. At some point, the coaching staff have to be asked what their philosophy amounts to.

Judging by Doherty's comments after the England game one gets the sense the players are starting to feel demoralised. You can't keep up a winless streak like this and expect the players not to lose heart. If we can't beat Bulgaria on Wednesday then confidence will hit rock bottom going into the new year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

1 goal in 11 hours of football and 5 defeats in 7. These improvements would want to start bearing fruit very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Sacking him after one competitive game would be lunacy, even for the FAI.
    For one, they don't have the money, and two, there's nobody else out there.
    The performances have been so much better than under previous managers but he's been completely out of luck. At least give him a few games with a full strength team, maybe even with fans in the stadium?
    Right now a defensive mistake or penalty to erase the goalless run would be most welcome.
    Some interesting points: all of our Nations League games have been 0-0 at half time and we haven't been in front in a non-friendly since Gibraltar at home in June 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Collins should start v Bulgaria. Looked threatening in the 10 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Quinn and co on Virgin 2 begging for everyone to give Kenny time.

Rather than beg us, beg Kenny to give us a goal!! :D

kksaints wrote: »
    Yeah but a direct style doesn't suit us either. We have no one up front who can actually win the ball regularly atm and our options on the wing aren't great either.

Mix it up a bit then?
    Otherwise there is no hope not suited to short play or a direct style are they able to play soccer at all?

Brooks scored a header with support and he is about 5.6.
    Idah is about 6.2

Richie Sadlier managed to make himself into a target man for Millwall. Players can be trained.
    I remember him saying it was a needs must at Millwall and he was made into a target man because he was over 6 foot.

Jack Charlton, turned Aldridge from a poacher who passed to runner who chased and harried waiting for flick on's. Simple stuff. Charton kept it simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

wadacrack wrote: »
    Collins should start v Bulgaria. Looked threatening in the 10 minutes

Absolutely, he actually held the ball up and was in threatening positions. Start him and bring Idah on as an impact sub if needed. I'd give Byrne, Collins and Manning starts and drop Duffy and idah, Hendrick is obviously unavailable.

• Advertisement

Hoofing it to Duffy remains the go-to tactic in our hour of need.

Yep on BBC Wales they said just Duffy at corners they look for him nearly all the time.

--
    --

Easy to defend against where is the clever training ground routine to nick a goal?
    They could play keep ball all they like then.

One of Trapattoni's teams hit the ball under a wall, because he told them the opponents always jump in the wall.
    Again simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

We’d all like to see him succeed. Sometimes these things don’t work out. Hard luck stories only get you so far. He has to win v Bulgaria otherwise I’d call time on it with Kenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Lineups for weds?
    Same back 5 as tonight.
    Horihane probably needs to start with all the others out. Cullen/knight and Brady.
    Collins up top with Horgan out right. Think the left position is still up for grabs without Connolly.

Kenny really has had poor luck with covid and injuries.

Egan and stevens are first choice defenders. Coleman is possibly first choice too.

McCarthy and Arter are probably first choice too.

Connolly and Robinson are first choice.

McGoldrick was first choice before retirement.

You can argue 7/8 first choice players missed this window. That’s a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Sacking him after one competitive game would be lunacy, even for the FAI.
    For one, they don't have the money, and two, there's nobody else out there.
    The performances have been so much better than under previous managers but he's been completely out of luck. At least give him a few games with a full strength team, maybe even with fans in the stadium?
    Right now a defensive mistake or penalty to erase the goalless run would be most welcome.
    Some interesting points: all of our Nations League games have been 0-0 at half time and we haven't been in front in a non-friendly since Gibraltar at home in June 2019

Only one of his games have not been competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

I beg to differ.. I think only Slovakia was competitive ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Absolutely, he actually held the ball up and was in threatening positions. Start him and bring Idah on as an impact sub if needed. I'd give Byrne, Collins and Manning starts and drop Duffy and idah, Hendrick is obviously unavailable.

Byrne looked good. I’m surprised Kenny hasn’t played him more often. Why drop Duffy? He did nothing wrong today. Collins has had chances before he’s been poor in other chances he had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I'd say its only a matter of time now. He's probably lost the dressing room at this stage now, if he ever had it in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Byrne looked good. I’m surprised Kenny hasn’t played him more often. Why drop Duffy? He did nothing wrong today. Collins has had chances before he’s been poor in other chances he had.

I'd keep Collins in the team just for a bit of a presence, which unfortunately Idah just doesn't have yet. Understandably, he's only 19 and being asked to be a back-to-goal lone frontman.

Love to see us just try to do something different next game though, because why not? We're experiencing groundhog day right now...

Randolph
    Long----Duffy
    O'Shea
    Cullen---Hourihane
    Doherty
    Byrne
    McClean
    Collins---Idah

Far from my first choice 11, but considering the injuries, illnesses, family emergencies, and suspensions...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Stewball

Have some people not been listening to the news for the last year.

The FAI are broke. How are they going to pay off Kenny and attract a decent replacement?

Kenny is there for at least the WCQ.

Stewball wrote: »
    Have some people not been listening to the news for the last year.

The FAI are broke. How are they going to pay off Kenny and attract a decent replacement?

Kenny is there for at least the WCQ.

This is likely correct. But he’s going to have to do more in the WCQ to continue on beyond that point. Right now it looks like we’ll end up with a caretaker taking the last few games of that process.

Let’s hope for a bit of hope against Bulgaria.

A reminder fo what Kenny is working with. Combined with missing about 8 regulars today and many other absentee's during games. Irish fans are being way too critical atm.

https://twitter.com/swearimnotpaul/status/1328077429085249543

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Nations League is glorified friendlies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A reminder fo what Kenny is working with. Combined with missing about 8 regulars today and many other absentee's during games. Irish fans are being way too critical atm.

That's very depressing :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

But but but we should be world beaters.

• Advertisement

Nations League is glorified friendlies.

Football fans really don’t handle change well, do they. :)

It's a bit of a shame we weren't properly relegated in the last Nations League when we should have been. Keeping us up despite finishing dead last hasn't done us any favours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Scrap the bloody Nations League, its been a disaster.

A team of stooges and now we've one in the dugout.

Azatadine wrote: »
    I'd say its only a matter of time now. He's probably lost the dressing room at this stage now, if he ever had it in the first place.

I'd say they'd die for him. Literally - last rites, pennies on the eyes, gravediggers stuff.

We're 1 all in idle speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I've been supporting ireland since a school kid, we were always competive , always had 5 or 6 quality players playing at the bigger clubs in England - Today where are they ? - a few scattered at Sheffield United and Burnley - Coleman was quality but for me not the same since injury - Kenny is out of his depth if we want a mirracle , but say we got Pochetinno how far could he take us with what we have got ? - feal as depressed as I was back in the Stauntan manager era , but the quality of player back them was better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I think Kenny deserves to be given time, but he needs to start being more flexible in his approach. I am not for a moment suggesting we need to go back to the O'Neill style, but it wouldn't hurt to mix it up a little.

Firstly, I don't think we should always be trying to play it out from the back. There were a few periods in the match where we were losing possession about 50% of the time by trying to play out from the back. It shouldn't be forbidden to play a ball into a channel, or have the centre forward try to knock it down for a runner from midfield.

The next thing is the formation itself needs to be looked at. 4-2-3-1 requires a number 10 or a false 9 who can link the midfield and the attack, and despite throwing so many players at the role, we still have not found a good option. Brady seemed to do ok today, but it doesn't look at his natural position. Maybe it's time we tried something new.

The one worry about all this, is that the body language of the players has just looked awful at times. I really hope that we can get something from the Bulgarian game. To win that would get the monkey off our backs and mean we don't have an 8 game without a win streak festering until the next batch of internationals in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

mikeym wrote: »

Apparently only Ireland and San Marino have yet to win a nations league game!! (Open to correction on that)

So seems to going alright for some teams, even the much maligned Gibraltar managed a win!

I'd say they'd die for him. Literally - last rites, pennies on the eyes, gravediggers stuff.

We're 1 all in idle speculation.

I think Matt Doherty gives an insight into how they're feeling here
    "I feel embarrassed sometimes when I come off the pitch because we're just losing games, conceding goals and not winning games. It's not nice."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40081367.html

As someone else said, if he ever had them...he's losing them.

Of course Doherty would say it's not nice to lose but for him not to even acknowledge that they're trying something new shows that the players don't see any rhyme or reason in Kenny's actions.

It's great Kenny and his supporters bleating on about new approaches etc. But if he can't even convince the lads on the pitch that it's worthwhile trying it will never work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The last couple of managers were routinely slaughtered on here for producing that run of results yet now that Kenny is making it worse, people are being too critical?

I do think Kenny needs to be given more time, and as others have said we're not in a position to get rid anyway. But he absolutely deserves the criticism he's getting.

mikeym wrote: »

I quite like it as a thing, it's a million times better than the shitload of pointless passionless friendlies we used to have.

It's been rubbish for Ireland though, mostly since we've been up against teams better than us, which isn't supposed to be the case. After our abject performances last time, we were meant to be relegated to play a level below, but, they restructured and kept us at the same level we'd been mullered before. And it should have been stuck on hold during Covid.

Not sure how he got man of the match but McClean seems fairly demoralised here. I don't blame him. We need to beat Bulgaria badly

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1328085872365940738?s=20

Witcher wrote: »
    I think Matt Doherty gives an insight into how they're feeling here

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40081367.html

As someone else said, if he ever had them...he's losing them.

But that comment could be about the quality of player, or even circumstances and luck.

Not only did he not criticise Kenny, he didn't criticise tactics, set up etc. Very different to players during the O'Neill era who let it be known that they didn't have a clue what they were supposed to do because of the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I'd keep Collins in the team just for a bit of a presence, which unfortunately Idah just doesn't have yet. Understandably, he's only 19 and being asked to be a back-to-goal lone frontman.

Love to see us just try to do something different next game though, because why not? We're experiencing groundhog day right now...

Randolph
    Long----Duffy
    O'Shea
    Cullen---Hourihane
    Doherty
    Byrne
    McClean
    Collins---Idah

Far from my first choice 11, but considering the injuries, illnesses, family emergencies, and suspensions...
    I think Brady deserves a start after today. His delivery was generally spot on, and I think a player like Collins would be more likely than Idah to get on the end of those balls.

But that comment could be about the quality of player, or even circumstances and luck.

Not only did he not criticise Kenny, he didn't criticise tactics, set up etc. Very different to players during the O'Neill era who let it be known that they didn't have a clue what they were supposed to do because of the manager.

He also didn't praise Kenny or even mention new tactics which speaks volumes.

If he had said 'We're going through a rough patch but Stephen's trying something new with the team and we're all behind him in that and want to it work' it would put a whole different spin on his quote. But he didn't say any of that.

He said he felt embarrassed coming off the pitch, to me that's just shocking. Not proud that they're trying something new that could bear fruit down the road....embarrassed. To my eyes, the team don't even see the point in Kenny's approach and it doesn't look like it'll be getting better soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Getting very hard to take any positives from these games lately but now is not the time for rash decisions, the reality is if we sack Kenny then we will probably only be able to afford to replace him with another league of Ireland manager or lower English league gaffer, we are at a crossroads in Irish football, there is a rebuilding job to be done and its going to take a few years, football as a whole is not in a great position in this country and if we want to see improvements we have to be patient and try play our part in improving the game here

Doherty himself was absolutely scathing of MON while he was still in the job. Though that was easier in fairness since he wasn't being picked...

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

A lot of posters need a reality check.

We have been struggling to score goals for a long time. We have been very very poor for a long time. Look at the record from O'Neills last 12 games. McCarthy improved us a bit but got the most he could out of an aging squad who were getting worse and worse as the campaign went on.

Kenny has started a massive rebuilding job. He is trying to change the attitude and mentality of our senior team. We were set up to camp out deep in our half, not make mistakes and hope to sneak a goal on the counter or from a set piece. It was very hard to watch.

The results have been disappointing but outside of the England game we have given as good as we got performance wise and look like an actual team. We have been unlucky and lack a bit of firepower up front but will get there soon.

I don't know what lads reckon is the alternative if the FAI sack Kenny. I can see progress and a sustainable game plan that will be more effective as the younger players gain more experience and improve.

He is looking down the road with some of the players being given their chances at such young ages but they and we will be all the better for it in a year or two's time.

O'Shea, Molumby, Connolly and Idah have already shown promise and will all be big players for us but are still learning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Would getting an experienced head in to help Kenny out work ??

Were a joke atm and cant see it getting any better, fairly odd though that relegation too league C might help in regards playoffs for Euro 2024 (if the system is still in place )

What tactical change will generate goals?
    We are creating a few chances but just aren’t good enough to finish them.

People are really forgetting how bad we were under O'Neill and McCarthy. We ouldnt string any passes together and just kicked it long. It was horyfying football and obviously were going nowhere playing outdated football. Kenny has us playing much better and has integrated some of the younger players. Our front 3 was a Idah, Horgan and McClean. Wales had Brooks, Bale and James . We need some of our attacking players to hit some form at Championship level this season that's where we are at. Connolly and Robinson can maybe get some goals at PL level but its a big ask of both tbh. If Parrott, Idah and Connolly can all show more promising signs in their development then things will look much more promising

Any appetite for another analysis of Rice, Grealish and Bamford and what they'd have brought?

Naaa, me neither...

A lot of posters need a reality check.

The results have been disappointing but outside of the England game we have given as good as we got performance wise and look like an actual team. We have been unlucky and lack a bit of firepower up front but will get there soon.

Yes you are correct but Kenny needs a reality check too. We need to score, or even look like scoring. He needs to change things and he still hasn't changed anything. We huff and we puff and get nowhere. We need at least 2 upfront. The results are terrible not just disappointing. Luck is for losers. We need to make our own luck by 2 up front and cause the opposition problems. The lack of firepower is him playing Idah on his own. Idah is meant to hold up the ball, bring others into play and then get on the end of things all with maybe 2 or three guys around him. Put Collins or Maguire up with him and see how they link up. Whatever partnership will need a few games to gel but we haven't been doing it in these games at all.

Have we any free kick or corner routines? It looks like its just lets hope Duffy gets on the end of things. Maybe use that to go short or use him as a decoy.

He took off Horgan tonight who was playing really well. The buck always stops with the manager.

We want him to succeed but he has to give us something. Bulgaria is his chance. We are at home albeit with no crowd. If they beat us something is seriously wrong if it isn't already. We can't keep saying its bad luck/no strikers etc

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Kenny really has had poor luck with covid and injuries.

Egan and stevens are first choice defenders. Coleman is possibly first choice too.

McCarthy and Arter are probably first choice too.

Connolly and Robinson are first choice.

McGoldrick was first choice before retirement.

You can argue 7/8 first choice players missed this window. That’s a lot.

McCarthy/Arter and Robinson are sh!te though, so not really a lost so it is really about 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Bit pathetic how some people clearly have it in for Kenny and trying to shoehorn Doherty's comments into their reasoning.

Irish international football has been dire for years so nobody should be surprised. Kenny is trying something different and is unfortunate with the number of players out due to injuries etc. They've been as good as the opposition in all the games bar the one vs England. Well as good bar the finishing. But we all know (including those who want Kenny gone already) that Ireland don't have any goalscorers (and haven't for years).

Took Michael O'Neill 10 games to get his first win for Northern Ireland (1 win in his first 18 games in fact). They persisted and seems to have worked out okay for them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement