Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

South Korea just had 6 test positive

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Because we're in the middle of a global pandemic of a highly contagious virus and the club season has had to squeeze 2/3 games in per week, leading to more injuries.

The Ireland squad seems to be particularly bad for some reason though. All a bit mad. That’s half of our initial squad gone now between one thing and another - most of them first choice.

Poor auld Kenny seems cursed!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Was your problem the 3-5-2, or the player selection? Keep in mind that from the squad that was called up for these matches, all of Coleman, Egan, McCarthy, Hendrick, Arter, Browne, Molumby, Connolly, and Robinson have since been ruled out.

Apologies I misread your line up. I think he should have tried a 3-5-2 in previous games but with Doherty, Stevens and McClean out now he can't try that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

roverjoyce wrote: »
    From the outside, looks like the manager has lost the players already
    Have they checked out?

From the inside, it looks like you're wrong.

Just putting it out there for some balance since people thought Doherty saying he was embarrassed means something else.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I was pleased with Brady's performance on Sunday, I would have been very critical of him before that. The main thing that annoyed me against Wales was that it seemed Kenny told everyone not to go for the set pieces, Brady to whip it in and Duffy to run for it, not that it was aimed at him, but he alone was to run for it wherever it went. I know he's effective but it's easier to defend a set piece when you know one player is going to go for it every time, which was the case. It would be nice to have a couple of different routines.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I am looking forward to the Bulgaria game. With Hendrick out the midfield set up should be a bit different.
    I am not sure what Idah offers at the moment. A couple of times the ball came to him and he wasn't ready to receive it. Might yet be a good player but needs time imo.

Re Doherty - there was much criticism of precious managers who stuck with Coleman over MD. He has now had a good run to prove himself and tbf has done reasonably well. That said I wouldn't mind Coleman back as an option.
    Duffy - I am not sure he can play in this system. We have lots of options at centre back. Time to try a different pairing? Egan starts if fit imo.

I hope the players share your enthusiasm. I am starting to feel sorry for Kenny and the players at the moment. It is becoming embarrassing.

You are right about options at centre back crying out for a 3-5-2. Yet Kenny seems wedded to a 4-3-3 almost religiously.

Even Eoin Hand has questioned Kenny's general tactics:

https://extra.ie/2020/10/18/sport/soccernews/stephen-kenny-eoin-hand

At least Kenny is bullish and defiant though:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/1115/1178347-no-doubts-ill-be-a-success-kenny-defiant-in-defeat/

Hard to not get the feeling that he is not just putting on a brave face for the sake of his players?

Also hard not to think of a time when another young inexperienced International Irish manager was described as 'defiant'.

And said things like:

'We are in a building process. I said that from day one. It's coming along nicely' (Steve Staunton 2007)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/6992307.stm

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

sterz wrote: »
    Ok cool. Unlucky Parrott.

Was he sick as a...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

12 players from original squad unavailable now.

I hope the players share your enthusiasm. I am starting to feel sorry for Kenny and the players at the moment. It is becoming embarrassing.

You are right about options at centre back crying out for a 3-5-2. Yet Kenny seems wedded to a 4-3-3 almost religiously.

They had been alright, especially with us having two of the most effective wingbacks in the premier league.

For Bulgaria it's all over the shop though, with all of our potential wingbacks gone, we're better off sticking to the 4-3-3 they at least sort of know now, even though it'll be 2nd string in almost every position with all the first choice guys sick or injured or suspended or dealing with family stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Squad Update | Four players called up

Aaron McEneff | @ShamrockRovers

Graham Burke | @ShamrockRovers

Jack Taylor | @theposhofficial

Troy Parrott | @MillwallFC

Hendrick & Molumby ruled out through suspension, Idah ruled out through injury

#COYBIG | #IRLBUL

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1328356541267927044

They had been alright, especially with us having two of the most effective wingbacks in the premier league.

For Bulgaria it's all over the shop though, with all of our potential wingbacks gone, we're better off sticking to the 4-3-3 they at least sort of know now, even though it'll be 2nd string in almost every position with all the first choice guys sick or injured or suspended or dealing with family stuff.

Yeah just read Doherty gone now. Very limited options now in an already limited pool. Kenny is having zero luck in fairness to the fella.

Sure Jack Charlton's success only started because of Scotland. A small bit of luck can go a long way. Getting impossible to judge Kenny at all given all the absentees at this stage.

He can only be judged fairly when the covid19 thing is over and he has a good run at it. No loads of sudden non football related absences, crowds back roaring the team on. He deserves a go in those 'normal' conditions at the very least.

Hopefully, by then the side will have settled a bit and things will improve.

Bulgaria game is almost a write off now already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Who is in the full squad now with all these withdrawals and inclusions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Yeah just read Doherty gone now. Very limited options now in an already limited pool. Kenny is having zero luck in fairness to the fella.

Sure Jack Charlton's success only started because of Scotland. A small bit of luck can go a long way. Getting impossible to judge Kenny at all given all the absentees at this stage.

He can only be judged fairly when the covid19 thing is over and he has a good run at it. No loads of sudden non football related absences, crowds back roaring the team on. He deserves a go in those 'normal' conditions at the very least.

Hopefully, by then the side will have settled a bit and things will improve.

Bulgaria game is almost a write off now already.

Perhaps, but the performances have been so anemic that you wouldn't hold it much hope for anything different. Remember, every other team Ireland has played is grappling with C19 absences and empty stadiums and they manage to score goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Goalkeepers
    1. Randolph
    2. Travers
    3. Kelleher

Defenders
    4. Christie
    5. Duffy
    6. K. Long
    7. O'Shea
    8. Clark
    9. Manning

Midfielders
    10. Hourihane
    11. Knight
    12. Byrne
    13. Cullen
    14. McEneff
    15. Brady
    16. Horgan
    17. O'Dowda
    18. Taylor

Attackers
    19. Burke
    20. Curtis
    21. Parrott
    22. Maguire
    23. Collins

Think this is the full squad available for the Bulgaria game - makes for grim reading really but not much we can do with so many players out.

Kenny must think that, if things went the other way in Slovakia, everyone would see this match and the withdrawals as a great opportunity to try out new players, instead of scrambling around looking for anyone who can kick a ball under the pressure that comes with a bad run of results..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Goalkeepers
    1. Randolph
    2. Travers
    3. Kelleher

Defenders
    4. Christie
    5. Duffy
    6. K. Long
    7. O'Shea
    8. Clark
    9. Manning

Midfielders
    10. Hourihane
    11. Knight
    12. Byrne
    13. McEneff
    14. Brady
    15. Horgan
    16. O'Dowda
    17. Taylor

Attackers
    18. Burke
    19. Curtis
    20. Parrott
    21. Maguire
    22. Collins

Think this is the full squad available for the Bulgaria game - makes for grim reading really but not much we can do with so many players out.

Josh Cullen makes it 23.

Perhaps, but the performances have been so anemic that you wouldn't hold it much hope for anything different. Remember, every other team Ireland has played is grappling with C19 absences and empty stadiums and they manage to score goals.

Fair point, but on top of that Kenny is trying to get lots of new players to gel and at the same time implement a new style of play.
    Would have been hard enough to do that without covid19.

I agree with you though the performances have been awful the slow passing style has taken the fight out of the team. Speed it up a bit not saying hoof it but go at teams now and again. More forward passes long or short needed.

Plus a few tactical set piece routines would not go amiss either.
    However, all the absences makes it even more difficult to do now.

Also, if we were going to be calling up a midfielder from the U21s wouldn't Ronan make more sense than Taylor. Someone technically good on the ball and can pass it about a bit since Bulgaria will probably put behind the ball.

Not that either man would start but isn't it better to bring someone on if you need a player who could possibly pick a pass between the lines, rather than someone whose more a box to box type player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Mad the amount of players missing for this game, it is not ridiculous to say that if the missing players could put together an XI they would probably beat the available players (aside from missing a keeper maybe). Apart from Duffy and Randolph there is probably nobody else in the team who is a guaranteed or even likely starter, maybe Hourihane I suppose.

It has been a very frustrating few days as an Ireland fan. Things have not gone according to plan under Kenny so far and I think because I was looking forward to his reign so much it is making it feel even more frustrating than it did under previous managers. If you take out the England friendly, we have played OK to well in most of the games so far - compare this to when we were getting passed off the pitch to Denmark, Switzerland, Wales, Georgia and even Northern Ireland in recent years and it is a step in the right direction.

But the problem is that we are looking even less threatening in front of goal and a lot leakier at the back. When you are traditionally a team who is aiming for 1-0 wins this does not bode well. Overall we have created chances but are not sticking them away, yesterday there were very few created though and we really didn't create a clear cut chance all game. It's hard to know what to think, I want to support Kenny and do think he will work out long term but it has really been poor enough so far as a whole, although he has been incredibly unlucky with injuries and covid etc.

It's a big game against Bulgaria for a lot of reasons but most of all I think for morale/confidence around the squad and amongst the supporters too. If we were to lose or get a 0-0 draw then people are going to be extremely down going into the qualifiers in March. A win or a few goals and we might feel a bit more optimistic. The mood in the camp must be terrible, I hope that the players don't turn on him. Hendrick seemed like he was seriously pissed off yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭showpony1

We will probably lose on Wednesday and Stephen will lose his job, we will then bring in a manager who can get the best out of Shane Duffy.
    Stephen must have a hard time looking Conor Hourihane in the eye after he missed an open goal for him against Slovakia.

• Advertisement

Mad the amount of players missing for this game, it is not ridiculous to say that if the missing players could put together an XI they would probably beat the available players (aside from missing a keeper maybe). Apart from Duffy and Randolph there is probably nobody else in the team who is a guaranteed or even likely starter, maybe Hourihane I suppose.

Totally. They'd actually be far better than the remaining players - it's like all these issues have carefully selected our best players.

All of the first choice forwards and midfield are gone, (and most of the second choice too). All but 1 of our first choice defenders gone - and the 1 that remains is the one most struggling for form.

Starting to feel like The Replacements - any chance of someone having Keanu's number?

Really have to feel for Kenny, with the pressure he's under to get a result under these circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Continuing with International football is simply absurd at the moment..

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Idah Connolly

McClean McCarthy Browne Robinson

Stevens Egan Coleman Doherty

An outfield 10 of injured/sick players (Fudging it a bit with Coleman I know).

Ridiculous.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Absolutely. I see football without crowds as mattering less, not just because we've had a woeful run during covid. The eerie atmosphere gives the feel of a training game or pre-season friendly. If the Euros are crowdless next summer, it'll be rubbish.

Absolutely. I see football without crowds as mattering less, not just because we've had a woeful run during covid. The eerie atmosphere gives the feel of a training game or pre-season friendly. If the Euros are crowdless next summer, it'll be rubbish.

Yeah, plus Ireland feeds off the crowd more than most teams. Get them fired up a bit. Flat atmospheres do the opposite for them. No fight in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

GLaDOS wrote: »
    An outfield 10 of injured/sick players (Fudging it a bit with Coleman I know).

Ridiculous.

there isn't a lot of goal threat/creativity missing in that lot though.

dfx- wrote: »
    there isn't a lot of goal threat/creativity missing in that lot though.

there isn't a lot of goal threat/creativity with an Irish passport full stop - well, aside from the lad across with pond with dual citizenship.

there isn't a lot of goal threat/creativity with an Irish passport full stop - well, aside from the lad across with pond with dual citizenship.

Burke and Byrne can provide it and they combine well, they at least can take a shot on. Curtis has looked good, in general Kenny's subs so far have improved performances. Curtis and Sadlier would be decent wing options.

Stumbling on with Brady, Hendrick and McClean is the other path and hoping something new happens..

It's not going to be solved in six games either way...

Burke and Byrne can provide it and they combine well, they at least can take a shot on. Curtis has looked good, in general Kenny's subs so far have improved performances. Curtis and Sadlier would be decent wing options.

Stumbling on with Brady, Hendrick and McClean is the other path and hoping something new happens..

It's not going to be solved in six games either way...

Are any of those better than the players that are out? Byrne does at least offer the possibility of it as there's no other natural playmaker, but i'm not sure about the rest... would have Connolly and Robinson head and shoulders ahead of the others for the wide forward positions, and even in terms of LOI performances would have had Maguire over Burke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I certainly hope they have cancelled that passport by now

Are any of those better than the players that are out? Byrne does at least offer the possibility of it as there's no other natural playmaker, but i'm not sure about the rest... would have Connolly and Robinson head and shoulders ahead of the others for the wide forward positions, and even in terms of LOI performances would have had Maguire over Burke.

I don't know what Connolly and Robinson have done as wingers to have faith in them - Sadlier and Curtis have played there at LOI and Championship/good L1 teams to good effect - it's their position.

Burke is different to Maguire, much better outside the box and he definitely combines well with Byrne. They are also good set piece takers..

I don't know what Connolly and Robinson have done as wingers to have faith in them - Sadlier and Curtis have played there at LOI and Championship/good L1 teams to good effect - it's their position.

Burke is different to Maguire, much better outside the box and he definitely combines well with Byrne. They are also good set piece takers..

Connolly and Robinson have pace, skill and can beat a man. They can also score goals. I haven't watch Sadlier much since he left Ireland but I don't recall him having much pace, he had a great strike of a ball though. Burke another who is technically brilliant and has a beautiful strike but he is quite slow and can go missing in games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭adaminho

Both play there regularly in the Premiership!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Team for Wednesday likely to be??

Squad update:

Goalkeeper
    Randolph

Defenders
    Christie
    Duffy
    K. Long
    O'Shea

Midfielders
    Hourihane
    Knight/Byrne/Cullen (hard to call. Cullen wasn't even in the 23 but is likely the most natural replacement for Hendrick of the 3)
    Brady

Attackers
    Horgan
    Collins
    O'Dowda

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Byrne should play. thought he looked good when ha came on. Maybe as an impact sub but with things the way they are why not put him straight in. Parrott? how fit is he, probably not match fit.

I was thinking that this was a must win game for Stephen Kenny, that we needed to see an indication that he could get these players to win games, but with the Covid situation and number of defections for other reasons as well, he may as well tell the players to go out and have a go and try to enjoy it.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Byrne should play. thought he looked good when ha came on. Maybe as an impact sub but with things the way they are why not put him straight in. Parrott? how fit is he, probably not match fit.

I was thinking that this was a must win game for Stephen Kenny, that we needed to see an indication that he could get these players to win games, but with the Covid situation and number of defections for other reasons as well, he may as well tell the players to go out and have a go and try to enjoy it.

I'd like to see him get a start, along with Collins up front - not least since they both played very well and scored against Bulgaria before. We know what Brady offers, and he just played the bulk of the game on Sunday after very little football recently, so would rather start Byrne and give him an hour or so. Failing that, I hope Byrne gets at least 30 minutes.

Parrott has very little football under his belt, was only fit enough to play 10 minutes for the U-21s the other day, so I'd say he'll be on the bench for the last 20 or so.

TheCitizen wrote: »

I would hope Byrne starts too. But possibly the fact he's coming back from a bad bout of COVID may mean he's not up to playing from the start.

Team for Wednesday likely to be??

Squad update:

Goalkeeper
    Randolph

Defenders
    Christie
    Duffy
    K. Long
    O'Shea

Midfielders
    Hourihane
    Knight/Byrne/Cullen (hard to call. Cullen wasn't even in the 23 but is likely the most natural replacement for Hendrick of the 3)
    Brady

Attackers
    Horgan
    Collins
    O'Dowda

...................Randolph

...O'Shea - Duffy - Long Manning

.................Byrne - Cullen

.......Horgan - Knight - Brady

......................Parrott

Might as well go wild and just give some lads game time since so many first choice players are out. Plus honestly if Hourihane starts I've no interest in trying to source a stream to watch him be woefully useless yet again.

• Advertisement

...................Randolph

...O'Shea - Duffy - Long Manning

.................Byrne - Cullen

.......Horgan - Knight - Brady

......................Parrott

Might as well go wild and just give some lads game time since so many first choice players are out. Plus honestly if Hourihane starts I've no interest in trying to source a stream to watch him be woefully useless yet again.

I agree with you re: Hourihane. However, I expect SK is going to pick as experienced a lineup as he can given the amount of withdrawals.

I just can't see him going with Hourihane and two attacking midfielders in Byrne and Knight. Hence I think Cullen might sneak in.

I agree with you re: Hourihane. However, I expect SK is going to pick as experienced a lineup as he can given the amount of withdrawals.

I just can't see him going with Hourihane and two attacking midfielders in Byrne and Knight. Hence I think Cullen might sneak in.

Well Knight wouldn't really be an attacking midfielder, to me he's more a box to box player. Like with the U21s to me he'd have been replacing Molumby in midfield. Kinda reminds me of Alan Browne actually in that he's an all rounder and would probably do a job in most positions.

I'd actually like to see Byrne tried out deeper in midfield though. Kenny goes on about 4-3-3 but we've been our best so far playing 4-2-3-1. Think himself and McCarthy would work well together as the two in a 4-2-3-1. Pretty sure I saw a stat that said McCarthy had the best percentage of being the least dribbled past player or midfielder in the league. But we also need someone that can take the ball from defenders and look to move forward with it. Honestly think that player could be Byrne.

Well Knight wouldn't really be an attacking midfielder, to me he's more a box to box player. Like with the U21s to me he'd have been replacing Molumby in midfield. Kinda reminds me of Alan Browne actually in that he's an all rounder and would probably do a job in most positions.

I'd actually like to see Byrne tried out deeper in midfield though. Kenny goes on about 4-3-3 but we've been our best so far playing 4-2-3-1. Think himself and McCarthy would work well together as the two in a 4-2-3-1. Pretty sure I saw a stat that said McCarthy had the best percentage of being the least dribbled past player or midfielder in the league. But we also need someone that can take the ball from defenders and look to move forward with it. Honestly think that player could be Byrne.

Yeah it's an interesting suggestion. My concern would be we need him further advanced as we have nobody else to create.

Yeah for Ireland I think Byrne may be best used as someone who receives the ball deeper and tries to make forward passes from deep. I don't think he is a number ten in the way that Wes was for Ireland, Jacks main weapon is his passing although he can certainly beat a man too.

I really hope he starts on Wednesday. We will never get a better opportunity to try him out and he is also almost exactly what we are lacking in midfield in someone who demands the ball and wants to impact a game unlike Hourihane who would rather let it pass him by. Whoever is up front might still be isolated but I'd be very confident that we would have more passes going into them and our wingers.

adaminho wrote: »
    Both play there regularly in the Premiership!

Don't rate Robinson at all he won't be in the EPL long I think.
    Connolly has a bit about him at least he has tigerish-ness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,628 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Duff wrote: »
    I heard it was Covid-1916 McClean has tested positive for.

I know I shouldn't laugh at that but LOL

Yes both Matt Doherty and James McClean have tested positive

• Advertisement

Don't rate Robinson at all he won't be in the EPL long I think.
    Connolly has a bit about him at least he has tigerish-ness.

'Rate' is a tricky word, as it depends on the context... he's certainly no world beater, but as far as our attackers go, he's just about in the top three at this stage alright I think. Which obviously isn't saying much, but, it is what it is.

Ultimately think he's a decent championship player, which for us is a pretty good level right now.

For my ideal person in that RWF spot, if Obafemi gets a loan move to the championship in January I think he'll demonstrate a bit more incisiveness than Robinson is capable of, but we'll just have to see. Needs the gametime though, with Walcott in over there he's just not getting enough. Same for Long. And for Connolly at Brighton since Lallana came in and they've shifted around a bit. These lads need minutes. At least Robinson is actually getting games at the top level, so that puts him in there for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

lawred2 wrote: »
    Continuing with International football is simply absurd at the moment..

Agreed. Can't understand how club managers aren't losing the plot having their players mix with other club players and be dragged all over Europe into Covid hotpots to play pointless games.
    UEFA need to give the whole thing the bullet for the next 3 months and hopefully by then they'll have one host country picked for the Euros in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

I reckon we should go for Collins up front with Byrne and Burke in behind, like they play for Rovers, then a midfield trio of Hourihan, Cullen and Brady, in defence would drop Christie and play Ryan Manning alongside Long, Duffy and OShea, substitute Horgan, ODowda, Curtis and Maguire to freshen things up in the 2nd half, not sure about throwing Troy Parrott into this game as hes just coming back from injury and didnt look the sharpest playing for the u21s the other day

'Rate' is a tricky word, as it depends on the context... he's certainly no world beater, but as far as our attackers go, he's just about in the top three at this stage alright I think. Which obviously isn't saying much, but, it is what it is.

Ultimately think he's a decent championship player, which for us is a pretty good level right now.

For my ideal person in that RWF spot, if Obafemi gets a loan move to the championship in January I think he'll demonstrate a bit more incisiveness than Robinson is capable of, but we'll just have to see. Needs the gametime though, with Walcott in over there he's just not getting enough. Same for Long. And for Connolly at Brighton since Lallana came in and they've shifted around a bit. These lads need minutes. At least Robinson is actually getting games at the top level, so that puts him in there for me.

Options are limited in fairness. At least Robinson has pace. But wouldn't he need quick ball to make use of that?

I like Idah he has a bit about him. But I feel a combination Kenny's tactics and the Irish midfield is not getting the best out of him. For example, he was playing against three Welsh lads on his own most of the time, when the ball was put towards him.

Obafemi needs a move or he will only go backwards in development. I suppose there is no hope of Southampton loaning him to Bournemouth or even Portsmouth?

The fact Long @ 33 and injury prone is still ahead of Obafemi in the Southampton pecking order says a lot. Doubt Southampton will get rid of him handy experienced sub. Plus I doubt Long is able to play much more than ocassional football these days - from bench etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement