Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

I think I'm somewhere between the two opposing opinions here - he has been limited by Covid absentees most sides have been though but another 3 solid games where we passed the ball around to a level which would be a minimum for a professional footballer with very little penetration. Playing Idah who's still in the embryonic stage of his international career up front on his own isolated is baffling. He doesn't have the body or ball smarts to play that position with very little support.

Tonight where we desperately needed a win (not convinced they knew the other key results happening around Europe) we didn't make chances quick enough and throw boys on well into the 80th minute. There is zero tempo to our play with players who lack creativity, even tonight we had a journeyman striker with two league 1/SPL/low champ players either side and no disrespect to the boys. Brady and Hourihan and previously Henrick way too pedestrian no urgency to get on the ball and drive forward.

I'm not a huge LOI fan but at least Byrne came on and had the hand out looking to pass and move, Cullen who I don't see as a huge playmaker type tried to spray it around but sitting there not making decisions and not changing things when they havent worked for 900 plus minutes for me is damning even with the practicalities of playing with your 2nd or 3rd string.

On the positives O'Shea has took to international football really well and believe the likes of Molumby, Knight and Cullen have a future at this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Here's the seedings for the World Cup qualifiers.

EnI2VzgW4AUiDfm?format=png

Possible group of death: Belgium, Switzerland, Ireland, Bosnia, Armenia, Moldova.

A potentially handier group: Croatia, Slovakia, Ireland, Luxembourg, Andorra, San Marino.

We will probably get Denmark, Wales, Georgia, Kazakhstan.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Soups123 wrote: »
    Losing players has been tough and you can accept some of the results but not all, the performances have been absolutely awful too again some allowances but not to the extent of what he’s delivered.

I can't think of another national side who have had so many players drop out due to injury/covid 19. The whole situation is incomparable to anything other Irish managers have faced.

And I guess it's subjective but I have to disagree about the performances being absolutely awful. Bulgaria away was an okay start, some glimpses of what he was trying to do. Played well vs Slovakia and unlucky to not come away with the win at home vs Wales. Downhill after that but I guess that's when all injuries started to add up (coupled with a terrible time to play England).

We're where we deserve to be but let's give him a chance with a full squad to pick from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Here's the seedings for the World Cup qualifiers.

EnI2VzgW4AUiDfm?format=png

Possible group of death: Belgium, Switzerland, Ireland, Bosnia, Armenia, Moldova.

A potentially handier group: Croatia, Slovakia, Ireland, Luxembourg, Andorra, San Marino.

You just know we're going to be playing Denmark, Wales and Georgia again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

kksaints wrote: »
    We will probably get Denmark, Wales, Georgia, Kazakhstan.
    We actually cannot be drawn against Kazakhstan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Fromvert wrote: »
    You just know we're going to be playing Denmark, Wales and Georgia again

Was just going to say it, you already know we'll get those 3 again. I'll crack up if we do as I'm sick of the sight of the Welsh and Danes at this point.
    When's the draw?

As someone who's very much a country over club man, I'm actually glad to see the back of international football for four months. Really is probably the most depressing time in living memory to be an Ireland fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Cake Man wrote: »
    Was just going to say it, you already know we'll get those 3 again. I'll crack up if we do as I'm sick of the sight of the Welsh and Danes at this point.
    When's the draw?

As someone who's very much a country over club man, I'm actually glad to see the back of international football for four months. Really is probably the most depressing time in living memory to be an Ireland fan.

If it happens I'll be hating every second leading up to the games. I'd rather get the hardest group possible than watch us play the Danes, Welsh or Georgians ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

We actually cannot be drawn against Kazakhstan.

How come?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Given the worldwide state of Covid - was farcical to have an international break with a new tournament not really needed right now and some meaningless friendlies - devalues international football for me- pure greed by FIFA - and to cap it Ireland going backwards.

Collie D wrote: »
    How come?
    Excessive travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

Cake Man wrote: »
    When's the draw?

You're obviously not my age. The late 60s were equally dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

We've never been great but we've always had hope going into campaigns and a genuine shot at qualification, some more than others but it's never been hopeless.

Feel the upcoming one is the first time in my 30 odd years watching us where theres no realistic hope. Lack of quality, lack of cohesion, lack of momentum, lack of spirit, lack of anything to pin your hat on that the vast improvement needed to pull it off is in any way achievable. Dark days sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Excessive travel.

Yeah, just reading that now but it says a maximum of one pair of teams with excessive distances can be drawn together so I think we can play them but then no other team on the list can.

Odd definitions too. For example Iceland, Portugal and Gibraltar are on Azerbaijan’s list but nobody else is. If Portugal and Gibraltar are out you’d think anyone on west would be too. Ireland must be further away and Spain borders both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The glory days when our full strength side would sweep a goal or 2 past Gibraltar.

I couldn't even see them putting one past them now, or even manufacturing a decent chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

Collie D wrote: »

Odd definitions too. For example Iceland, Portugal and Gibraltar are on Azerbaijan’s list but nobody else is. If Portugal and Gibraltar are out you’d think anyone on west would be too. Ireland must be further away and Spain borders both.

The three countries you mentioned are only ones over 7 thousand km away from Kazakhstan. Ireland is closer and most of the big cities in Spain are less than 7000 km too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

crossman47 wrote: »
    You're obviously not my age. The late 60s were equally dreadful.

At least in the 60s you had Giles propping up the forth. Since 2012 arguably this is the most barren spell in Ireland's history without at least one or two top quality players in the squad, regularly performing at the top of the English or European game.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Very poor performance tonight, midfield was void of any activity and Bulgaria dominated for periods of the game, Byrne and Cullen should of been in the starting line up, we were poor in front of goal and squandered any chances we got, Collins missing a sitter and Curtis is a league 1 striker, I'd of picked Aaron Greene or Pat Hoban ahead of him, a massive missed opportunity for Kenny tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Its a team game, commitment and desire go a awful lomg way.
    Stephen kenny, he should be off getting experience in club football Hungry for challenges.

Hes literally a public sector manager who has found himself in a serious role without the beans to fix it.

Hell be left there because hes cheap and theres nobody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Kenny doesn't look like he is going to move away from Hendrick and Hourihane. They have been mainstays in his team so far. This is what he said about losing Hendrick for the game tonight:

He seems to think he is going to turn Hendrick into an entirely new footballer. I think Hendrick has been an utter liability at times, and while he may have ambitious passing, the ambition rarely lives up to the end product. Hourihane tonight was hugely frustrating. He gave the ball away numerous times and didn't have the desire to win it back.

It's all well and good wanting to play a certain style but if you pick players ill-suited to it, nothing productive will come of it. Said it before: he's picking players that were useful in a pragmatic Ireland style and trying to convert them into something they're not. These guys are approaching 30 and aren't the future.

We also don't have ball-playing CBs. Duffy has shown at Celtic he is not comfortable, and he lacks pace. If we're going to play this way then he probably has to be dropped, but can you afford to drop the chap who scored the only goal of this managerial reign, and who still looks one of the best routes to a goal?

It's a mess.

The concern is that Kenny had preconceived ideas that nobody was getting the best out of Brady, Hendrick and Hourihane. It's obvious to everyone and their granny that there is no better player waiting to be unleashed from them.

Really worried that Kenny will persist.

With his fascination with data and video analysis, what the hell is he seeing that makes him think....there's my midfield.

Genuinely astonished that Hourihane has seen so much football under Kenny. Cullen is OBVIOUSLY a better player, far more dynamic, and with more strings to his bow.

This is going to be a long 4 months, then we go into World Cup qualifiers and Kenny still hasn't a scooby what his best 11 will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    The concern is that Kenny had preconceived ideas that nobody was getting the best out of Brady, Hendrick and Hourihane. It's obvious to everyone and their granny that there is no better player waiting to be unleashed from them.

Really worried that Kenny will persist.

With his fascination with data and video analysis, what the hell is he seeing that makes him think....there's my midfield.

Genuinely astonished that Hourihane has seen so much football under Kenny. Cullen is OBVIOUSLY a better player, far more dynamic, and with more strings to his bow.

This is going to be a long 4 months, then we go into World Cup qualifiers and Kenny still hasn't a scooby what his best 11 will be.
    He knows that we need to play 4-3-3 though which is all that matters really.

Only his LOI background is saving him on here. If he had come from League 1 in England and had those results, with those tactics, team selections and substitutions, there would be 100% agreement that he has to go before the WC qualifiers.

There'd be a mutiny if you could have fans at those games so he's lucky in that regard too.

l
    Only his LOI background is saving him on here. If he had come from League 1 in England and had those results, with those tactics, team selections and substitutions, there would be 100% agreement that he has to go before the WC qualifiers.

I think if he came from England, charged a million, and had a team without 15 Covid/injury absentees struggle to beat Georgia and Gibraltar, he'd be cheered from the rafters...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I don't think that's true.

I think, in general and not just relating to this Ireland team, that people can be extremely patient with change as long as change is happening in a direction they approve of. I think this tends to be especially true when they feel they have nothing to lose.

If this sequence of games had occurred immediately after the Euros in 2016, for example, I think you'd be closer to the truth about a broad sense of negativity. But there would still absolutely not be 100% agreement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Obviously Kenny is out of his depth but I don't agree that he should be sacked straight away. It's not at Stan levels just yet. The FAI aren't swimming in cash so they'll have to make do with Kenny for now.

We're bound to score a goal at some stage. If we can line up a few games against minnows I'd fancy us to bag a goal. Happy enough for him to give the world Cup qualifying a go and after that then there maybe a few more candidates available to take over.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

I would hope we are going into March in better shape. Hopefully covid is somewhat on the wane by then and we have closer to a full selection. Parrott hasn't got going yet at Millwall so I'm looking forward to see how he goes over the next few months. Hopefully Duffys bad spell is behind him. Idah should have more game time under his belt. Dara O'Shea will have almost a PL season done provided he keeps his place at WBA. Yes this was a disappointing window but a good break from international football now and see how the players are looking in March and fingers crossed we're in more positive shape.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think if he came from England, charged a million, and had a team without 15 Covid/injury absentees struggle to beat Georgia and Gibraltar, he'd be cheered from the rafters...

If he came from a League 1 team, he wouldn't be trying any changes. It'd be Duffy and Egan upfront all the way, Bonner style kickouts and midfielders with cricks in their neck..

He had a similar problem taking over an established squad at Rovers, he had time to start afresh at Dundalk. He has got to cut the cord with the 'experienced' players...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

SK has been terrible so far. His approach is to dogmatically stick to 4-3-3 when we clearly don't have the players to play that system. Even when we go behind he refuses to put on a second striker. He's stuck with the likes of Brady and Hourihane who are blatantly not good enough and can't play his 'system' and he is incredibly slow to make changes during a match.

By all available metrics it is been a truly awful start for SK.

I'm hoping he goes away now and puts some serious work in over the next four months to come up with a different system that suits the players at his disposal because if he sticks with his current system he will not be in the job to see out the World Cup qualifiers.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    By all available metrics it is been a truly awful start for SK...

With an awful squad, and an awful lot of withdrawals from that awful squad, in these unprecedented times.

Full strength squad, full houses, and we can get back to beating Gibraltar and Georgia levels again. However, if we're still seeing a dozen, 15 and 18 withdrawals next year, I'll still cut him some slack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

With an awful squad, and an awful lot of withdrawals from that awful squad, in these unprecedented times.

Full strength squad, full houses, and we can get back to beating Gibraltar and Georgia levels again. However, if we're still seeing a dozen, 15 and 18 withdrawals next year, I'll still cut him some slack.

You can't use withdrawals as an excuse when the opposition have the same level of withdrawals, and more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Conor Hourihane played 565 minutes for Ireland under Kenny, I'd be shocked if he reaches that for Villa before the next Ireland game unless they get hit by injuries and have to play him.

Probably be gone from Villa by the next international as his contract is up next summer I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's a fairytale appointment for some people. But it's been absolute ****e. Gone quite obviously backwards compared to where we were under McCarthy. Luckily for Kenny, the FAI have no money to pay him off.

Not really tbh. Nations league has higher ranked teams than we played under McCarty. McCarthy won 3 games against teams in lower Nations league division but only managed draws or losses against equal/higher Division teams so not comparing like with like.

I am disappointed in the match last night however had Brady scored instead of hit the cross bar my optimism would be alot higher.
    I am not convinced by Kenny yet but I am hopeful and wish the team well in the world cup qualifiers.
    At a minimum he needs the qualifiers and probably the next nations league before we judge him.

• Advertisement

He knows that we need to play 4-3-3 though which is all that matters really.

Only his LOI background is saving him on here
    . If he had come from League 1 in England and had those results, with those tactics, team selections and substitutions, there would be 100% agreement that he has to go before the WC qualifiers.

There'd be a mutiny if you could have fans at those games so he's lucky in that regard too.

Exactly. If he had no associations with the LOI he would be getting cut no slack at all. It's as if some supporters conflate criticism of Kenny in post with criticism of their league. Hence the squirming justification of the bilge on the pitch. Can't be taking out their own man.

Simple fact is that the appointment has been a disaster, as I fully expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I would have to ask does Kenny have the charisma or even the name value of a Big Jack, Mick Trapp, MON & Roy to go over to the UK clubs and speak to duel national or grandparent rule players and convince them play for Ireland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Don't agree with this Conor. The fact players are missing has nothing to do with Kenny dogmatically sticking to a system that doesn't work, poor team selections, poor substations etc.

Clearly missing players makes his job harder but his decision making has been awful.

Why does he never put a second forward on when we are behind? Why does he wait so late in the game to make changes? Why is he insistent on playing it out from the back every time? Why did he not start Byrne, the only player that fits the system he wants to play? Why did he stick with Brady and Hourihane when they are having awful games?

None of the above has anything to do with missing players, it's all Kenny's dogmatic approach to 4-3-3 and poor decision making.

He is rightly under pressure and he has to change is approach in March or he'll lose his job. It isn't working, everyone can see that.

He is rightly under pressure and he has to change is approach in March or he'll lose his job. It isn't working, everyone can see that.
    There's a few things that clearly need to change.

He simply cannot continue to use Duffy as our deep-lying play maker. It's not worked yet, and it will never work.

The movement of the players is going to have to improve an awful lot. Everyone looks so rooted to the formation, we don't see overlapping full backs often enough, or runners from midfield.

If he's going to persist with the 4-2-3-1 formation, then he's going to need to find a number 10. We've not had a single player who has been able to make this position his own.

The problem here is that Kenny is so rigid in his system, I think that is reflected in how we line up, how static the movement is and why we are so easy to defend against. Any team that draw us in the World cup are going to know exactly what our weaknesses are, and how to exploit them. If you watch the England game, that is exactly what they did. They knew we'd try to play out from the back, and their front line were like greyhounds out of the traps to close us down and force mistakes. Some people blame the players for not being good enough, I blame the coach for being tactically naïve.

Quazzie wrote: »
    You can't use withdrawals as an excuse when the opposition have the same level of withdrawals, and more.

You can of course, that just adds to the farce all round, it doesn't mean one's own side suddenly become a coherent settled team.

Exactly. If he had no associations with the LOI he would be getting cut no slack at all...

But you hate the game here anyway. You called it "the Atrocity League" and said you wanted Ireland to lose to get an LOI manager out.

Which is your opinion and you are perfectly entitled to at. I'm not having a go. But don't start pointing to a bias in others...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

We have a bad squad and a worse manger ,

So basically no hope of doing much at all ,

We have all heard play to your strengths but we have a manger who actually wants us to play to our weaknesses ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What I dont get about last night was the attitude.

World Cup qualification hopes (dire though they were) ended last night yet I never got the feeling they were playing like it was must win.

Maybe that's down to the lack of talent but even for a very poor Irish team I thought it was unusual they didn't give it a much better go especially in the last 20 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

"I was right therefore I am great" Lets wait until we see some WC quals with a full selection to pass proper judgement. The games in October were a marked improvement on anything we've seen in years tbh.
    We didn't score a goal. At times it looked like we weren't even trying to. How exactly were they an improvement on anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

We didn't score a goal. At times it looked like we weren't even trying to. How exactly were they an improvement on anything?

We created more chances in the nations league than we have in a long time. Its not SK's fault that players cant finish. He sets out a game plan and especially against Slovakia it worked. You cant blame the manager when a so called professional footballer playing in the premier league cannot finish from 3 years. The game plan worked last night at times, create the Curtis chance, again you cant blame the manager if the player blazes over from 20 yards when one on one with the keeper!

People have agendas and would rather have so washed up manager, playing ****e football, who has had a so called decent career in the UK rather than a progressive manager who is trying to change the culture of a team that has constantly looked to the next qualification rather than thinking long term. Give him time! Hence why the FAI are broke.

Most of those people would probably gladly have John Delaney back too....

• Advertisement

athlone99 wrote: »
    People have agendas and would rather have so washed up manager, playing ****e football, who has had a so called decent career in the UK rather than a progressive manager who is trying to change the culture of a team that has constantly looked to the next qualification rather than thinking long term. Give him time! Hence why the FAI are broke.

Most of those people would probably gladly have John Delaney back too....

Absolute rubbish. Kenny's 'progesstive style' is to doggedly stick to 4-3-3 no matter what, wanting players to play from the back who are incapable of doing it, taking an age to make a substitute, sticking with midfield players who don't suit his system and never bringing on a second striker even when we are behind.

He is far too dogmatic in his approach and he is being found out because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The games in October were a marked improvement on anything we've seen in years tbh.

What are comments like this based on?

"I was right therefore I am great" Lets wait until we see some WC quals with a full selection to pass proper judgement. The games in October were a marked improvement on anything we've seen in years tbh.

The first time in years that we couldn't hit a barn door.

An improvement, indeed. Need I remind everyone that it's goals that win games and it's results that matter. Stylishly knocking the ball about the park is all well and good but if it's not delivering the goods and worse doesn't look like it will deliver the goods then another less rigid approach is required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Not really tbh. Nations league has higher ranked teams than we played under McCarty. McCarthy won 3 games against teams in lower Nations league division but only managed draws or losses against equal/higher Division teams so not comparing like with like.

I am disappointed in the match last night however had Brady scored instead of hit the cross bar my optimism would be alot higher.
    I am not convinced by Kenny yet but I am hopeful and wish the team well in the world cup qualifiers.
    At a minimum he needs the qualifiers and probably the next nations league before we judge him.

Yeh. I’m Ok retaining SK, particularly if the players are on board with his plans and he shows a capacity to learn on the job. Haven’t seen anything to really go in his positive column so he’s going to have to start making progress soon. I do think he may have to discard a few senior players, particularly if they aren’t responding to his methods.

I don’t agree that LOI experience is similar to experience in championship or higher in England and I would worry that some players will simply not respect him. But, as stated, we arent exacting flushed with options money wise or player wise. I don’t mind a couple of barren, tough years internationally if SK can grow into the role whole moulding a new generation and a new way of playing. MON and Trapp did in my view wonders qualifying for anything with the squads we had at the time. But the football was awful and the only joy was when a game was finished , was torture to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Absolute rubbish. Kenny's 'progesstive style' is to doggedly stick to 4-3-3 no matter what, wanting players to play from the back who are incapable of doing it, taking an age to make a substitute, sticking with midfield players who don't suit his system and never bringing on a second striker even when we are behind.

He is far too dogmatic in his approach and he is being found out because of it.

I agree with sticking to the style if you are trying to build something. no point after half an hour going 433 isnt working lets just go 442 and hoof it long. He was right to stick to it for these games as in reality they are glorified friendlies and if all things were right we would have been in Group C anyway.

Agree that he was too slow in making changes especially last night but i think he was more afraid of losing last night rather than winning the game given the circumstances. I think we will see a different Ireland next spring. I think (hope) a few seniors players wont play for Ireland again under Kenny. I think he gave lads a chance and they haven't performed and now he can safely drop them.

I would have loved him to have made a change at half time, stuck on Cullen and Byrne but given his luck to date he wasnt willing to take that chance and end up losing and getting relegated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

athlone99 wrote: »
    I agree with sticking to the style if you are trying to build something. no point after half an hour going 433 isnt working lets just go 442 and hoof it long. He was right to stick to it for these games as in reality they are glorified friendlies and if all things were right we would have been in Group C anyway.

Agree that he was too slow in making changes especially last night but i think he was more afraid of losing last night rather than winning the game given the circumstances. I think we will see a different Ireland next spring. I think (hope) a few seniors players wont play for Ireland again under Kenny. I think he gave lads a chance and they haven't performed and now he can safely drop them.

I would have loved him to have made a change at half time, stuck on Cullen and Byrne but given his luck to date he wasnt willing to take that chance and end up losing and getting relegated.

Agree that a complete clear out is needed. But Kenny has to be more flexible in his style and tactics- based on opponents. Slight tweaks here and there.
    Southgate tries a few formations for England so the players can get used to them.

I have not seen a more inflexible manager in Stephen Kenny, since Jack Charlton. But Jack had the advantage of keeping things simple and uncomplicated. Every player knew thier job. Chase, harry, high tempo, no fluting about with the ball, ball in the corners and get opposition defenders to turn. And wingers not to pass the ball inside to midfield much in case they would lose it.

A 10 year old would grasp that. But what Kenny is trying is a game based on patience and ruining the opponents tempo by passing the ball slowly.

Grand if you have the players but all Ireland are now is a poor man's Georgia. They try technical football but are not up to it, no midfield to play penetrative passes, and forwards who cannot hit a barn door between them. Slow tempo easy to defend against, as well damn all threat.

Plus, I have not seen any set piece ingenuity from Kenny either. After these amount of games wouldn't you think they would have another routine instead of get it on Duffy's head?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    What are comments like this based on?
    The games we watched???

I think anyone who thinks the October games are a marked improvement are in complete denial.
    What has changed?

1) The players lack fight and tempo
    2) Team look more likely to conceed because of the above.
    3) Team much easier to defend against than any Irish team in my lifetime.
    4) No focus on set pieces Ireland's previous strength
    5) Team and players confidence at an all time low
    6) No one knows who Kenny's no1 starting XI is.

Theres no point talking to some people tbh . We should have beaten wales and slovakia, our finishing let us down big time

And did you note how Wales varied thier play and went direct? - quick ball in Bale header - Brooks header = goal
    How do you measure "fight" ?

Body language, urgency in play, tempo, agression, never say die. Manager seeing changes that need to be made quickly.
    Created 15 chances in 3 games ?

Why only pick 3 games? 5 chances per game. What were the quality of chances like a shot for the sake of it - to say 'look I shot' or genuine effort.
    agreed set pieces have been poor

Most diappointing aspect is this seem to have really regressed as a set piece threat. Badly needed because the forwards are poor. I would like to know does Kenny plan them in training at all?
    any proof of this?

Body language lack of urgency and tempo. Give up easy. Before at least they would give it a go last 10 minutes - taking style out of it. Now they seem listless.

we are in transition, trying new players(oshea knight idah molumby) is the name of the game.

I agree with this which is why I think Kenny needs a few more years. However, I also feel Kenny is learning on the job and it will take him time to develop as well as the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

I would have to ask does Kenny have the charisma or even the name value of a Big Jack, Mick Trapp, MON & Roy to go over to the UK clubs and speak to duel national or grandparent rule players and convince them play for Ireland.

Jaysus, if that’s the proposed remit of an Irish manager and what we should be aiming for and judging them on, we may as well pack it up altogether and stay home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'm not going to criticize him too much for sticking to a 4-3-3/4-5-1 in games so far (he has used both), with a team that wants to try and keep the ball they are not just going to revert to a 4-4-2 and ditch his plan because we haven't scored, it doesn't work that way. Would love to see a 3-5-2 tried out but maybe not as simple as making that call when you need to try it out on the training pitch and he has had such disasters with injuries and covid etc. It was infuriating watching last night though when it was so obvious we needed to make a change and he left it so late. It felt like we could have scored when Parrott, Maguire & Byrne came on but they didn't have enough time.

Agree he needs to make a big call and cull one or two of the experienced players. Hourihane should be first in the firing line for me, he has started all bar two of Kennys games so far and all bar one of McCarthys competitive games and really he has added nothing to the team. Even what he is supposed to be good at - passing, shooting, set pieces, ball striking basically - he hasn't really delivered on this at all apart from his goal against Georgia (which was his best game in fairness).

Kenny has used 30 players so far and had 40 different players in squads training under him so far. By now he should have a clear idea of who is up to scratch and who isn't and whos is capable of playing under the style and tactics he wants, but worryingly I don't know if we do know our strongest team and feel like we have not learnt or developed as much as we should have in his first 8 games.

In other news which I haven't seen mentioned here, I see Marcus Harness has officially declared and was in an Ireland tracksuit last night. He tweeted saying that he was called up but couldn't play. Anyone know much about him?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement