Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I think Kenny is finding it tough in front of the camera at the moment. He is very shy. It will take a while for him to settle in. If the players give him time he will come out of his shell and they will see what sort of man he truly is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Here is a former editor of the sun tweeting

https://twitter.com/kelvmackenzie/status/1329534055046647809?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Why is this only coming out now,if someone didn't like this video why didn't they reveal it last week when it was shown,I smell a rat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Jesus, the content of the video doesn't sound like what he thought it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

It's a ruse by the fai to get Kenny sacked, they want to cut their losses.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

My first impression was, don't they get newbies to sing a rebel song? This is complete and utter b****x. This could actually swing for Stephen Kenny.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

noodler wrote: »
    Jesus, the content of the video doesn't sound like what he thought it was.

Since when has that scummy worm let truth get in the way of trying to outrage idiots?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Convenient reason to get rid by all concerned except Kenny tbh.

Is that a Liverpool fan and the editor of the Sun in 1989 agreeing it's a sackable offence?

Prime Time implied it was an FAI staff member who leaked the story, if so you'd wonder on the motivation. There's still a lot of the old Delaney guard in there and they may see this as a way to move against Kenny who still has the public support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Irish media are the scum of the earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

I think it was a staff member and not a player who brought it to the FAI's attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

All I can say is "Much Ado about nothing"

Irish media are the scum of the earth.

It's the Daily Mail.... You know, the British paper that supported Hitler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Prime Time implied it was an FAI staff member who leaked the story, if so you'd wonder on the motivation. There's still a lot of the old Delaney guard in there and they may see this as a way to move against Kenny who still has the public support.

Some little git with a Napoleon complex, probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Weepsie wrote: »
    Also, personally, I have zero interest in a Qatar world cup. 2024 and 2026 are of far more interest to me, and what should be looked at, and even then as a starting point.

Need to take the German/Belgian approach and aim for something long term rather than getting hung up on getting into the next tourament so we can all have a jolly

Would still like to qualify for Qatar, tis been a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

RonanG86 wrote: »
    Some little git with a Napoleon complex, probably.

Or possibly someone with a long standing gripe with Kenny for other reasons altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There will be a lot of grabbing for power within the FAI at the moment it will end up like a Barca power struggle where the manager pays the price for the suits fighting for the top spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

If, as it seems, some of the players were left uncomfortable watching this, the FAI CEO may feel that Kenny's judgment is badly lacking which is the reason why they're investigating this. Sweeping it under the table solves nothing. You can't have an unhappy camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The very fact it’s been reported widely suggests to me that someone in the FAI are looking to get a few digs in and damage Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

If, as it seems, some of the players were left uncomfortable watching this, the FAI CEO may feel that Kenny's judgment is badly lacking which is the reason why they're investigating this. Sweeping it under the table solves nothing. You can't have an unhappy camp.

Prime time specifically said the player that was spoken to didn't find it offensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is it known yet what they were watching?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

lawred2 wrote: »

Seems to have been a 3 minute video clip, 2 and a half mins of which were highlights of Ireland matches and important goals with the other part made up of historical Irish clips which presumably was the 'political' part. Obviously just going off scraps of what we're seeing online.

Surely his job will not be at risk over something like this, but if he was to get the boot over this I think I would stop following the national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Apparently a 3 minute video including clips about the rising, declaration, houghtons goal and David Kellys goal in 95.

Are we sure they didn't accidentally play one of McClean's insta stories? 😆

3 minute video clip mostly of goals? Ah Jesus.. this has already been well blown out of proportion then.

ceegee wrote: »
    Apparently a 3 minute video including clips about the rising, declaration, houghtons goal and David Kellys goal in 95.

Are we sure they didn't accidentally play one of McClean's insta stories? 😆

Was going to ask whether Kenny made it himself... It's a bizarre construction :/

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

3 minute video clip mostly of goals? Ah Jesus.. this has already been well blown out of proportion then.

I think this video was shown on Rte before the match . From the description I think I've seen it .

I think this video was shown on Rte before the match . From the description I think I've seen it .

Was it this?

https://www.facebook.com/MagicTVmoments/videos/394746024411191/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Seems to have been a 3 minute video clip, 2 and a half mins of which were highlights of Ireland matches and important goals with the other part made up of historical Irish clips which presumably was the 'political' part. Obviously just going off scraps of what we're seeing online.

Surely his job will not be at risk over something like this, but if he was to get the boot over this I think I would stop following the national team.

Absolutely. If Irish history is considered taboo for an Irish team to be informed of then they certainly aren't representing me or this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd say we can all agree James McClean defo wasnt the one that took offence to any political video :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Congratulations to Shane Duffy on getting the FAI senior only international goal of the year award.

Fixed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fixed

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Downlinz wrote: »
    Absolutely. If Irish history is considered taboo for an Irish team to be informed of then they certainly aren't representing me or this country.

They aren't representing you :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Was going to ask whether Kenny made it himself... It's a bizarre construction :/

If Kenny had made it it's unlikely it would have contained any goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Uncomfortable truths rather than intentionally anti English would be my guess.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

sugarman wrote: »
    Not specifically but...

"RTÉ Sport understands that two-and-a-half minutes of the video was famous goals scored against England, from Ray Houghton, Kevin Sheedy, Niall Quinn, Tony Cascarino and Shane Long, followed by 30 seconds of "historical context" of the relationship between Ireland and England."

Question is how regular would players be shown something like this in build up to a match?

If it happens regularly then this is blown up ...if not then why was this done for the England match.

All said, I guess this is going to be used as an excuse to get rid of Kenny. Results have been poor since he started and this gives FAI an excuse to fire him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

sugarman wrote: »
    Given Kenny appointed his own staff, it has to be one of the blazers.

Alan Kelly was kept on by Kenny. Mick's old teammate, played under Mick with Ireland and was he apart of Mick's backroom staff twice with Ireland or was 2018 his first time working with Mick as Ireland manager. Maybe his health worries was just a cover story because if you're that worried about your health why you meeting up with the squad in the first place like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Alan Kelly was kept on by Kenny. Mick's old teammate, played under Mick with Ireland and was he apart of Mick's backroom staff twice with Ireland or was 2018 his first time working with Mick as Ireland manager. Maybe his health worries was just a cover story because if you're that worried about your health why you meeting up with the squad in the first place like.

That was bandied about but seemingly not true (in that Kelly was not responsible).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

RTE reported that the video was played in the dressing room at Wembley and not the team hotel. Also said a player said the video was nothing, just goals and 30 seconds of historical context. Sounds like the FAI are blowing this out of all proportion but also theres a leak in the dressing room undermining Kenny.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    RTE reported that the video was played in the dressing room at Wembley and not the team hotel. Also said a player said the video was nothing, just goals and 30 seconds of historical context. Sounds like the FAI are blowing this out of all proportion but also theres a leak in the dressing room undermining Kenny.

So as well as having the weakest selection options in memory, even before the 10 to 20 withdrawals, some on the day of matches, playing in empty stadiums, trying to reverse years of hoofball with a national organisation in disarray, he has this too.

Really has been a baptism of fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

A couple of things.

No one actually knows what the video was.

Secondly what the actual f was the thinking behind it, this is amateur hour stuff, I’m going to put up a video to motivate these players, seriously! This is international football, honestly did our manager actually think this was a really good idea. I just have this vision of the players looking at each other while this video is playing saying to themselves “wtf is this”

The furore about the content is actually nothing imho, the fact that the manager thought as part of my build up to a big game I’m going to show them a video to motivate them, this isn’t u16 cup final stuff!

Lastly the fact it was leaked is not a good sign, one rumour doing the rounds is that the move to show the video was so pathetic that it’s been shared as joke amongst players as in “look at what this fella is doing” amongst club WhatsApps etc and ended up in the media from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

the kelt wrote: »
    A couple of things.

Secondly what the actual f was the thinking behind it, this is amateur hour stuff, I’m going to put up a video to motivate these players, seriously! This is international football, honestly did our manager actually think this was a really good idea. I just have this vision of the players looking at each other while this video is playing saying to themselves “wtf is this”

The furore about the content is actually nothing imho, the fact that the manager thought as part of my build up to a big game I’m going to show them a video to motivate them, this isn’t u16 cup final stuff!

Lastly the fact it was leaked is not a good sign, one rumour doing the rounds is that the move to show the video was so pathetic that it’s been shared as joke amongst players as in “look at what this fella is doing” a o gat club WhatsApps etc and ended up in the media from there.

Yeah I think all of the issue with the video is that it confirms what has been looking plainly obvious on the pitch: Kenny is out of his depth and the players aren't buying into the approach.

Time to get rid and get some other ticket together ahead of the qualifiers in March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

the kelt wrote: »
    A couple of things.

Lastly the fact it was leaked is not a good sign, one rumour doing the rounds is that the move to show the video was so pathetic that it’s been shared as joke amongst players as in “look at what this fella is doing” amongst club WhatsApps etc and ended up in the media from there.

Quite a few managers have shown videos before matches to squads in an attempt to motivate players. The best example I can remember is Guardiola before the 2009 champions league final.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/pep-guardiolas-video-before-champions-13554609

Loads of examples of motivational videos here.

https://www.marca.com/en/more-sports/2017/02/10/589e1eaa22601d5e138b46db.html

If the players think that showing a motivational video before a match is a joke, then their professionalism has to be called into question as plenty of successful teams have done it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yeah in top level football it’s not unknown to show “Motivational” videos to teams before matches

I’ve read accounts of it in a number of managerial books/articles.

Off the top of my head klopp, pep, Mourinho, Simone, poch have been known to do it over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

kksaints wrote: »
    Quite a few managers have shown videos before matches to squads in an attempt to motivate players. The best example I can remember is Guardiola before the 2009 champions league final.

That Israel team watched Braveheart before drawing with us at Lansdowne road .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Its probably just a bit embarrassing, a bit like your Ma walking on you while you were having a tug....

But then again in these modern days......

He might be gone by the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Kenny's getting stitched up.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

kksaints wrote: »

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/pep-guardiolas-video-before-champions-13554609

You can get away with a lot when people are behind you.

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Kenny's getting stitched up.

He is. But it’s by the players in this instance. And that means he probably needs to go at the end of the day.

I mean lads, let’s get real here. The absolute *CRINGE* of showing a motivational video before going out and getting battered by an England B team playing at a walking pace. Ragball rovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Off the top of my head klopp, pep, Mourinho, Simone, poch have been known to do it over the years

Klopp showed the team he was wearing Ronaldo's brand of underwear before a Champions League final to ease the tension. This Irish setup would probably have him done for indecent exposure if he did that here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He is. But it’s by the players in this instance. And that means he probably needs to go at the end of the day.

I mean lads, let’s get real here. The absolute *CRINGE* of showing a motivational video before going out and getting battered by an England B team playing at a walking pace. Ragball rovers.

Why is it cringe? To me if the player's think its a joke (and tbf we're only going on a post here, there hasn't been anything in the press about it) and we've had quite a few comments on the players supposedly lack of passion the last while, personally I think it their professionalism that should be questioned.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement