Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He is. But it’s by the players in this instance. And that means he probably needs to go at the end of the day.

I mean lads, let’s get real here. The absolute *CRINGE* of showing a motivational video before going out and getting battered by an England B team playing at a walking pace. Ragball rovers.

Sorry now but I have reservations about Kenny but from your post I don’t agree at all

Elite top level managers have been using motivation videos pre matches for a long time now.

Are you aware of that ?

What is this “cringe” you are going on about.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

He is. But it’s by the players in this instance. And that means he probably needs to go at the end of the day.

I mean lads, let’s get real here. The absolute *CRINGE* of showing a motivational video before going out and getting battered by an England B team playing at a walking pace. Ragball rovers.
    I'd agree if it was the players he's doomed regardless.

It was a member of staff that reported it though and there seems to be mixed messages coming out of the camp over how it was received (It has been described as "very tame"). I'm not sure it's as simple as the players have turned against him already.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

kksaints wrote: »
    Why is it cringe? To me if the player's think its a joke (and tbf we're only going on a post here, there hasn't been anything in the press about it) and we've had quite a few comments on the players supposedly lack of passion the last while, personally I think it their professionalism that should be questioned.

I love that people take something said on here or on twitter as gospel and run with it. There was no mention of from any journalist that any of the players had problems with it. Last night someone on twitter said he showed "In the name of the father" as a joke. So many people took that and ran with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Pointing to a few times in the past where such videos were shown doesn't really make them the norm by any stretch.

I'd have to see it but it certainly sounds like a poorly put together idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

To be honest at this point it's fairly clear that this will only end one way and that's with Kenny hounded out of the job. When you're fighting from the beginning to get respect from vocal sections of the public and the press then you're on a hiding to nothing. This video thing is so tame but theres an agenda behind it. His days are numbered I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

4 years ago the FAI were commemorating the 1916 rising.:pac:

That was Kenny's fault too I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Honestly, this all sounds like a bit of a storm in a teacup. By all accounts, the video made a reference to the 1916 rising and mentioned the English riot in Lansdowne Road in 1995. I don't see how referencing either event is off the table, to suggest that the content was offensive enough for Kenny to lose his job is ridiculous.

The worry for me would be that it was more a case that the video fell flat on its face and that it may have damaged the standing of the manager. I can see how a bunch of 20 something year olds could end up looking at such a video wondering what the hell it was all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Not really, if for example 4 or 5 players leaked this to stitch up SK. the FAI should back them and then SK come out and say who they are and that they will not play again under him until they apologize publicly. If they sack SK over this because of players or a background team member who took offence to it, the senior team is screwed and the players are in control and can do what they want and none of them have earned to right to throw the toys out of the pram!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

kksaints wrote: »
    Why is it cringe? To me if the player's think its a joke (and tbf we're only going on a post here, there hasn't been anything in the press about it) and we've had quite a few comments on the players supposedly lack of passion the last while, personally I think it their professionalism that should be questioned.

That doesn't fit the narrative of Kenny out for some though to question the players on a possible lack of professionalism. Some will need to faux some outrage or whatever, at least some people came straight out saying they didn't like the new manager and hopes he fails, rather than beating around the bush with it.

Hopefully this leak gives Kenny more reason to just tell some lads good luck you ain't needed anymore and get to work with players you feel will suit the more possession based style you want to try implement.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

the kelt wrote: »
    A couple of things.

No one actually knows what the video was.

Secondly what the actual f was the thinking behind it, this is amateur hour stuff, I’m going to put up a video to motivate these players, seriously! This is international football, honestly did our manager actually think this was a really good idea. I just have this vision of the players looking at each other while this video is playing saying to themselves “wtf is this”

The furore about the content is actually nothing imho, the fact that the manager thought as part of my build up to a big game I’m going to show them a video to motivate them, this isn’t u16 cup final stuff!

Lastly the fact it was leaked is not a good sign, one rumour doing the rounds is that the move to show the video was so pathetic that it’s been shared as joke amongst players as in “look at what this fella is doing” amongst club WhatsApps etc and ended up in the media from there.

You know nothing about how football dressing rooms work if you think it's "amateur hour" to show a video to players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

The problem is if he does go what next? It's rock and hard place. People will say the inexperienced experiment didn't work and the FAI don't have the cash to hire a top manager. Nobody has an answer to this (myself included)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

When I read the Independent article, I assumed they were implying that Alan Kelly was the member of staff who complained about the video.

You can only laugh at the posters feigning outrage about Kenny.

We've had decades of managers and players drinking together for bonding and motivation, going for fish and chips together at Harry Ramsden's, having sing songs, sometimes with rebel songs, we have players tattooed with Celtic crosses, players who have posted Up the 'Ra stuff, even in the case of Trap a supposed bonding session that ended the career of a player.

But Stephen Kenny does something we don't really know and can't assess, since don't really know what it is, but who cares, it's outrageous and he must be drummed out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Still Ill wrote: »
    When I read the Independent article, I assumed they were implying that Alan Kelly was the member of staff who complained about the video.

Alan Kelly was around during the Jack Charlton era, I'm pretty sure he isn't easily offended.

Honestly, this all sounds like a bit of a storm in a teacup. By all accounts, the video made a reference to the 1916 rising and mentioned the English riot in Lansdowne Road in 1995. I don't see how referencing either event is off the table, to suggest that the content was offensive enough for Kenny to lose his job is ridiculous.

The worry for me would be that it was more a case that the video fell flat on its face and that it may have damaged the standing of the manager. I can see how a bunch of 20 something year olds could end up looking at such a video wondering what the hell it was all about.

I think it's a weird way of looking at it tbh.

The video idea is weird, shouldn't be needed.

A good number of the team are English born, English partners, English friends. It's all a bit 15 year old nationalism for my liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

We've had decades of managers and players drinking together for bonding and motivation, going for fish and chips together at Harry Ramsden's, having sing songs, sometimes with rebel songs, we have players tattooed with Celtic crosses, players who have posted Up the 'Ra stuff, even in the case of Trap a supposed bonding session that ended the career of a player.

But Stephen Kenny does something we don't really know and can't assess, since don't really know what it is, but who cares, it's outrageous and he must be drummed out...

Ironically the player that posted "Up The Ra" plays for England now :pac:

noodler wrote: »
    I think it's a weird way of looking at it tbh.

The video idea is weird, shouldn't be needed.

A good number of the team are English born, English partners, English friends. It's all a bit 15 year old nationalism for my liking.

Can you identify the exact phrases or images that could cause offence, so we can assess whether it's well founded?

Still Ill wrote: »

Yeah they were definitely trying to imply something there. Maybe for a good reason. Fair enough he's got health issues being asthmatic, but if you're that worried about your health then why you travelling around Europe with the international team for in the first place and all of sudden before the last game your health is now a concern.

Hopefully it's only putting two and two together and getting five. Because the last thing we need is the leak coming from a player or staff member. But it wouldn't surprise me with the Indo if they were throwing Kelly's name in to drum up drama given the rag that they've become.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Ironically the player that posted "Up The Ra" plays for England now :pac:

Someone should tell Kelvin MacKenzie.........

• Advertisement

Alan Kelly was around during the Jack Charlton era, I'm pretty sure he isn't easily offended.

And he's also very close with the last manager. They're definitely mentioning him for reason. Whether it's for a good reason or them just being a rag and trying to create more drama.

There is literally not a single person on here "feigning outrage" at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

There is literally not a single person on here "feigning outrage" at this.

There really is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

even in the case of Trap a supposed bonding session that ended the career of a player.

which player was this??

cant remeber for the life of me

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    which player was this??

cant remeber for the life of me

Was it Andy Reid and his guitar?!

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    There really is.
    No one here is outraged over the video. No one is calling for him to be sacked over it. A few of us are expressing concern that it was a ham-fisted motivational attempt that appears to have fallen flat on its face. It's a minor case of bad judgement, not a sacking offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Storm in a teacup.

Someone has it out for Kenny in the FAI and leaked it to the press.

Non story but it keeps the limelight and pressure on Kenny who has been dealt the worst hands possible since he started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I don't understand who took offense to a video of a political nature? it's international football, where you wear the colours of the country you represent, after singing the national anthem. as much as FIFA may want to keep politics out of it, it's political by its existence.

you need the squad to buy in or not at all. flaky excuses or constant sicknotes should be gently left to the side in the future.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

This is a nothing story and should be ignored.

It's the abject failure on pitch so far that rightly has Kenny under pressure.

I don't understand who took offense to a video of a political nature? it's international football, where you wear the colours of the country you represent, after singing the national anthem. as much as FIFA may want to keep politics out of it, it's political by its existence.

you need the squad to buy in or not at all. flaky excuses or constant sicknotes should be gently left to the side in the future.

Wait until they actually realise what those lyrics to the song they mumble through before a match actually translate to. Hope they have the daily mail on speed dial.

Can you identify the exact phrases or images that could cause offence, so we can assess whether it's well founded?

I can't speak for the members of the squad who were dissatisfied enough to leak it.

However, I think you are missing the point entirely. You are arguing about the contents of the video whereas the basis for having one at all should be the issue.

I agree it's not a stackable offence, just a bit small-time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Storm in a teacup.

Someone has it out for Kenny in the FAI and leaked it to the press.

Non story but it keeps the limelight and pressure on Kenny who has been dealt the worst hands possible since he started.

Or it's the FAI looking for a loophole to let Kenny go without compensation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭crushproof

This is gutter journalism, and to make it worse it's across the spectrum from tabloids to Prime Time. It's akin to how the English gutter press reacts to a poor World Cup performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Quazzie wrote: »
    Or it's the FAI looking for a loophole to let Kenny go without compensation

If they do, I hope he takes them to court.

crushproof wrote: »
    This is gutter journalism, and to make it worse it's across the spectrum from tabloids to Prime Time. It's akin to how the English gutter press reacts to a poor World Cup performance.

To be fair, I feel like the Irish media are mostly dismissing it as a nothing story. Reported over here as a "pro-Irish" video.

Very true.

And It would be quite pathetic if it turns out to be Alan Kelly or anyone involved in those former set ups (who got up to all sorts of questionable and unprofessional carry on) who are now “clutching the pearls” over some harmless video.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It's death by a thousand lashes. This is the first one.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Is there a sense that the English born/based contingent are unhappy that an Irish based manager is now in situ???

Didn’t that fool mcateer make some sort of “edgy” comments a few weeks back?

siblers wrote: »
    If they do, I hope he takes them to court.

Be cheaper to sack him IMO. Since you're old CEO loved the rebel tunes when drunk and you were fined by FIFA for celebrating the 100 year anniversary of 1916 on your jersey. Any decent solicitor would prove they're only doing this to try get out of paying any compensation

Had a quick google and yes it was mcateer who made the comments against Kenny and also had a good cut off Kerr

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/0825/1161306-quinn-brushes-off-mcateers-criticism-of-kenny/

Now as far as I’m concerned mcateer is best ignored.

But my more general suspicion is

I get the feeling that some of the English born contingent think they have a divine right to be involved in the Irish senior set up

And god help an “outsider” to them, professionally based in Ireland !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Had a quick google and yes it was mcateer who made the comments against Kenny

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/0825/1161306-quinn-brushes-off-mcateers-criticism-of-kenny/

I get the feeling that some of the English born contingent think they have a divine right to be involved in the Irish senior set up

And god help an “outsider” to them, professionally based in Ireland !!!

What did McAteer say about Kenny, because it doesn't actually say in that article.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    What did McAteer say about Kenny, because it doesn't actually say in that article.

RTÉ obviously decided not to give mcateer the respect of quoting him but from a quick google ....

He told Off the Ball: "When I think of Stephen's appointment then, it is a pretty big ask from a guy who has only really managed League of Ireland teams and a team in Scotland."

He added: "To step up to an Irish team where he's in a dressing-room full of players who play at the top level though, players who have won things playing for top clubs, I think a manager who might not have a top pedigree, I think players might question that, yeah, I do."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

100% right here, very intelligent. 7 games is simply too long to give a manager. We need a new manager in right away who we can sack after another 7 games which will lead to qualifying for a world cup.

The new manager must also be told in no uncertain terms that motivational videos are off limits as players are too vulnerable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

RTÉ obviously decided not to give mcateer the respect of quoting him but from a quick google ....

He told Off the Ball: "When I think of Stephen's appointment then, it is a pretty big ask from a guy who has only really managed League of Ireland teams and a team in Scotland."

He added: "To step up to an Irish team where he's in a dressing-room full of players who play at the top level though, players who have won things playing for top clubs, I think a manager who might not have a top pedigree, I think players might question that, yeah, I do."

What is so wrong with that? It's a perfectly legitimate criticism Kenny is no beyond reproach nor should he be.

Scoundrel wrote: »
    What is so wrong with that? It's a perfectly legitimate criticism Kenny is no beyond reproach nor should he be.

"To step up to an Irish team where he's in a dressing-room full of players who play at the top level though, players who have won things playing for top clubs, I think a manager who might not have a top pedigree, I think players might question that, yeah, I do."

Well, none of that is true though is it? It isn't a dressing-room full of players who play at the top level, none of them have won anything either. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Raoul wrote: »
    "To step up to an Irish team where he's in a dressing-room full of players who play at the top level though, players who have won things playing for top clubs, I think a manager who might not have a top pedigree, I think players might question that, yeah, I do."

Well, none of that is true though is it? It isn't a dressing-room full of players who play at the top level, none of them have won anything either. :D:D

Some of it is many players are playing at the top level in England i.e PL level and Kenny has only managed at a very low level in comparison and i've no doubt some players will question him as some did Kerr it isn't heresy to point this out.

Kenny is not beyond criticism we've been absolutely horrendous in all of Kennys games in charge it has been a chore to watch it and he will rightly get stick for that and the almost cult like defence of Kenny from some Ireland fans is baffling.

For the record I hope Kenny succeeds and he should of course be given time to do so but the early signs are not good albeit the 2nd half against Bulgaria was an improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

when he says players playing for top clubs that have won things, which players is he talking about? can't think of an irish medal winner at a UK club in recent years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Couple of them have championship runners up medals. Might even be a winner in there (if I could be arsed checking). I have more medals for Irish dancing than the whole Ireland squad have as prof footballers put together :pac:

Nothing situation imo if it was a suit that complained. If it was a player then it is not on that he did not go to the manager rather than over his head. Kenny has given some of these guys opportunities that they never got before and need to seize with both hands. Playing for Ireland is a privilege, not a right. If a player does not see it as a privilege they should do a Stephen Ireland/Roy Keane* on it and walk away.

*yes I went there

IMO his comments about Kenny was more an excuse for him to talk about Brian Kerr some more without sounding bitter by bringing it up out of the blue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

:confused:

• Advertisement

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Kenny is not beyond criticism we've been absolutely horrendous in all of Kennys games in charge it has been a chore to watch it and he will rightly get stick for that and the almost cult like defence of Kenny from some Ireland fans is baffling.

That is in no way shape or form fair - theres been some reasonably good spells of football since hes taken over and it's been pointed out time and again that only for some very bad finishing Kenny would probably have a few wins under his belt by now. To talk about horrendous performances after a handful of games is a bit rich considering some of the pure dirt we've had to watch under Trap, MON and Mick. Ireland have been dire for a long time now.

Can you point out the cult like defence of Kenny please? Most of what I've seen posted here is people just wanting Kenny to be given a fair crack of the whip. Most people can seem to accept it's going to take time -this is not an easy fix

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement