Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

He added: "To step up to an Irish team where he's in a dressing-room full of players who play at the top level though, players who have won things playing for top clubs, I think a manager who might not have a top pedigree, I think players might question that, yeah, I do."

What players do we have that have won anything?
    Apart from a few league and Cup winners with LOI clubs and the odd championship play off winners medal, none of which you could count in the category of "players who have won things playing for top clubs".
    We also have feck all players actively playing at a top level.
    Bar Coleman and Doherty, we haven't one player who deserves to have an ego. Every one of the rest could be playing for Morecambe for £800 a week next year and well they know it.

On Kenny, It would surprise me if the likes of McClean and Coleman and a few of the other ex LOI lads aren't fully behind him. Things have been bad but there was bound to be a bedding in period.

I genuinely couldn't see McCarthy pulling out any better results were he still in charge.
    He won't work again in England. Same way O'Neil didn't bar a disastrous spell with Forest.
    These spoofers were pulling £2m a year managing Ireland. Give Kenny time FFS. Was it nearly 2 years before Michael O'Neil got a result with the Nordies? And Kenny comes with a better CV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

athlone99 wrote: »
    Someone should tell Kelvin MacKenzie.........

That guy’s Twitter posts today are vile in their anti-Irishness. Comes as no surprise from him though. The rules on here prevent me from saying what I really think of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

sonic85 wrote: »
    That is in no way shape or form fair - theres been some reasonably good spells of football since hes taken over and it's been pointed out time and again that only for some very bad finishing Kenny would probably have a few wins under his belt by now. To talk about horrendous performances after a handful of games is a bit rich considering some of the pure dirt we've had to watch under Trap, MON and Mick. Ireland have been dire for a long time now.

Can you point out the cult like defence of Kenny please? Most of what I've seen posted here is people just wanting Kenny to be given a fair crack of the whip. Most people can seem to accept it's going to take time -this is not an easy fix

We've scored 1 goal all year ffs both games against Finland were pathetic particularly the home game both games against Wales were abysmal in those four games we barely had a chance.

I honestly don't know what you've been watching? We put together a couple of good moves v Slovakia alright but we're clutching at straws here no wins and 1 goal is pathetic no matter what way you look at it.

I agree Kenny should be given time and I hope he is a success but he should also be subject to scrutiny and criticism when it is deserved as it most certainly is here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

eigrod wrote: »
    That guy’s Twitter posts today are vile in their anti-Irishness. Comes as no surprise from him though. The rules on here prevent me from saying what I really think of him.

"I've kept really quiet, but I'll tell you something, he went down in my estimation when he said that..."

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Scoundrel wrote: »
    What is so wrong with that? It's a perfectly legitimate criticism Kenny is no beyond reproach nor should he be.

Really its legitimate criticism? Well maybe 30 years ago. 2 Irish players are at so called top 6/7/8 clubs and both of them started in the LOI. Are you also then stating that any player that started in the LOI is not good enough for the senior squad then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

best thing would be to put the video out, probably dissipate it, the imagination is greater then the reality

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

This is an embaressment for our football association a real storm in a teacup, we must look ridiculous on the international stage, if it was, *said gk coach* who leaked this to the press then he is a traitor who should never be allowed near the squad again and if it was one the players that got offended by the video then they really shouldn't be playing for Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I don't understand who took offense to a video of a political nature? it's international football, where you wear the colours of the country you represent, after singing the national anthem. as much as FIFA may want to keep politics out of it, it's political by its existence.

you need the squad to buy in or not at all. flaky excuses or constant sicknotes should be gently left to the side in the future.

Come, on how many of the players are able to sing Amhrán na bhFiann properly word for word? Bar McClean who likely sings it to his kids before they go asleep. :D

A lot of it is faux nationalism. Many of the players who play for Ireland only play for Ireland because they were not good enough to play for thier country for birth.
    Which ironically most of time is the 'hated' enemy England.

Not only this, the vast majority of Irish players play or have played in England.
    Most live in England have English wives/partners with English kids. Thier lives are in England and thier taxes are paid to the Queen.

It makes all the ultra nationalist guff seem all the more incongruent.

However, if the goal is for a team spirit point of view. I can see the point of a sing song etc.

But if it is ultra nationalist - it can seem a bit odd, and dare I say it plastic. I would suggest most English born players in the past, sung rebel songs ironically for the craic. Nothing too serious about it really, except windows dressing.

I agree the story is silly, but just as silly is to pretend Irish soccer is nationalistic its nature. For the fans maybe. For the players it is more likely to be a career move. Could get a better club out of it?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Come, on how many of the players are able to sing Amhrán na bhFiann properly word for word? Bar McClean who likely sings it to his kids before they go asleep. :D

A lot of it is faux nationalism. Many of the players who play for Ireland only play for Ireland because they were not good enough to play for thier country for birth.

Not only this, the vast majority of Irish players play or have played in England.
    Most live in England have English wives/partners with English kids. Thier lives are in England and thier taxes are paid to the Queen.

However, if the goal is for a team spirit point of view. I can see the point of a sing song etc.

But if it is ultra nationalist - it can seem a bit odd and dare I say it plastic. I would suggest most English born players in the past, sung rebel songs ironically for the craic. Nothing to serious about it really except windows dressing.

Good post tbf.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

What is so wrong with that? It's a perfectly legitimate criticism Kenny is no beyond reproach nor should he be.

The players who judge that as legitimate criticism shouldn't play for Ireland again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

eigrod wrote: »

Had a quick look at Kelvin McKenzies Twitter.

Vicious stuff.

Btw He’s calling for Kenny to be sacked - he says English based players were shocked by the video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This is an embaressment for our football association a real storm in a teacup, we must look ridiculous on the international stage, if it was, *said gk coach* who leaked this to the press then he is a traitor who should never be allowed near the squad again and if it was one the players that got offended by the video then they really shouldn't be playing for Ireland

That particular Gk coach and his vintage of player (I mean the 90s) has plenty of baggage. Most Irish soccer journos would know MANY stories from over the years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

best thing would be to put the video out, probably dissipate it, the imagination is greater then the reality

Not a chance will the FAI release it, if my gut feeling is right. I believe the video is a watery load of crap with all the goals against England and some phrase like, remember that your grandparents fought against these <insert photo of black and tans> to form the country that you are representing tonight. An unknown player said he didn't take offence, although that player could have been McClean, but it really sounds like a complete load of ....

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

dfx- wrote: »
    The players who judge that as legitimate criticism shouldn't play for Ireland again.

Players who think their manager hasn't managed at a high enough level should never play for Ireland again? Jesus Christ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

But if it is ultra nationalist - it can seem a bit odd, and dare I say it plastic. I would suggest most English born players in the past, sung rebel songs ironically for the craic. Nothing too serious about it really, except windows dressing.

I agree the story is silly, but just as silly is to pretend Irish soccer is nationalistic its nature. For the fans maybe. For the players it is more likely to be a career move. Could get a better club out of it?
    Like who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

wonder if it was some fan made thing, is there a montage of Irish goals against England on youtube?

Players who think their manager hasn't managed at a high enough level should never play for Ireland again? Jesus Christ

any player who isnt buying into SK should never play for Ireland again. No player in that squad has a right to judge a manager. I hope SK now uses this as his excuse to get rid of alot of dead weight in the squad, some of whom are particularly living off of a good game or 2 at the Euros in 2016!

any player who isnt buying into SK should never play for Ireland again. No player in that squad has a right to judge a manager. I hope SK now uses this as his excuse to get rid of alot of dead weight in the squad, some of whom are particularly living off of a good game or 2 at the Euros in 2016!

That is the main disappointment for me. He hasn't gotten rid of these lads. Hendrick and Brady mainly and Hourihane. They just don't seem to offer a lot. But then...maybe we really don't have anyone else. Hard to drop the one player in your midfield that is actually playing premier league. I think I would prefer Molumby/Knight to Hourihane.

Raoul wrote: »
    That is the main disappointment for me. He hasn't gotten rid of these lads. Hendrick and Brady mainly and Hourihane. They just don't seem to offer a lot. But then...maybe we really don't have anyone else. Hard to drop the one player in your midfield that is actually playing premier league. I think I would prefer Molumby/Knight to Hourihane.

I would look at it a different way and hope that they are dropped for the WCQ and he can say if anyone has a complaint they can watch a video of there performance in the Nations League (which again are just glorified friendlies with for some reason a chance to qualify now, but still glorified friendlies)!

If he thinks he can changes these players and turn them into footballers then he doesnt have a leg to stand on and i'm a huge fan and hope he succeeds and i hope he has learned they are not good enough!

The leader is good the leader is great we surrender our will as of this date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Someone should tell Kelvin MacKenzie.........

Never heard of him so looked up him up. One sided incendiary comments about Ireland's Neutrality in WW2 and the Birmingham pub bombings, De Valera Hitler condolences. Clear lack of deeper research or irony considering the flaws in the British Justice system, Royal Nazi sympathies and Ireland's phony neutrality during WW2 helping Britain on the quiet.

I wouldn't take much heed of a fella like that commenting on anything Irish never mind a soccer teams affairs.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Never heard of him so looked up him up. One sided incendiary comments about Ireland's Neutrality in WW2 and the Birmingham pub bombings, De Valera Hitler condolences. Clear lack of deeper research or irony considering the flaws in the British Justice system, Royal Nazi sympathies and Ireland's phony neutrality during WW2 helping Britain on the quiet.

I wouldn't take much heed of a fella like that commenting on anything Irish never mind a soccer teams affairs.

Imagine what he will be like when he realizes the new English golden boy Declan Rice once Tweeting "Up the RA"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Adam Idah out injured until February. Norwich say he'll be out for ten weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The leader is good the leader is great we surrender our will as of this date.

It's nothing like that at all.

As soon as players think and behave like they are better than the manager or other players, all is lost. There is nothing to be gained from that. If you think you're too good (and the evidence of that is very sparse), then off you go.

I would look at it a different way and hope that they are dropped for the WCQ and he can say if anyone has a complaint they can watch a video of there performance in the Nations League (which again are just glorified friendlies with for some reason a chance to qualify now, but still glorified friendlies)!

If he thinks he can changes these players and turn them into footballers then he doesnt have a leg to stand on and i'm a huge fan and hope he succeeds and i hope he has learned they are not good enough!

That's what I am hoping for. He can say that he gave them a chance and they didn't take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

lawred2 wrote: »
    Is it known yet what they were watching?

Surprised no-one has found it yet, its a 3 minute video with 2.5 minutes of football and 30 seconds of the other stuff is what the media reported. Its likely on Youtube, I doubt Kenny was editing this thing himself.

On Kenny, It would surprise me if the likes of McClean and Coleman and a few of the other ex LOI lads aren't fully behind him. Things have been bad but there was bound to be a bedding in period.

Plus surely the rest of the squad are at least happy to be trying to play expansive football rather than hoofball. A lot of these lads are playing 10 men behind the ball for their clubs too so you would have thought Kennys style is a breath of fresh air to them. And if they're not buying into his project then they shouldnt be too surprised if they end up playing hoofball under Big Sam Allderdyce 12 months from now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Sounds like a harmless enough video

Someone in the camp (player or staff) can't be trusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

That is terrible news about Idah.

As a matter of interest, who's Ireland's top goal scorer in the league so far this season? I am thinking McClean on 2 goals, but surely there's someone with more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Muahahaha wrote: »
    And if they're not buying into his project then they shouldnt be too surprised if they end up playing hoofball under Big Sam Allderdyce 12 months from now.

It would be a typical FAI move to sack Kenny for poor conduct over a nothing video then turn around and hire a man who has been caught doing dodgy deals twice and forced to resign from the England job because of one of those incidents.
    As a matter of interest, who's Ireland's top goal scorer in the league so far this season? I am thinking McClean on 2 goals, but surely there's someone with more than that.

Jack Byrne: 9 goals :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That is terrible news about Idah.

We’ve a few in the English leagues on 2. Collins and Curtis do anyway. Maguire has 1 in the league and 1 in the cup as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Madness from him, he should wait and see as its the only football hes currently playing. He needs a move on Jan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

That would be a big blow if that is true as Randolph in goal has been one of the few bright spots over the past few years for us. Plus at 33 at least another full campaign there for him as a keeper.

sugarman wrote: »
    No quotes or sources in that article and theyre the only one reporting it.

Would be seriously bad form if true, 33 with plenty still to offer while Kenny could have had the chance to give vital experience to other keepers in these games.

It reads a bit like someone read the previous comments about wanting to get 50 caps, and then made the extra leap themselves that he's happy to leave after that. I'd be a bit surprised... still reasonably young for a keeper, our other options are still a bit off being ready, and we're the only football he's getting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Ireland is his only shop window if he wants to move.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

Ireland is his only shop window if he wants to move.

He's in contract until the summer of 2023. He's not going to need a move because whose probably going to pay him more than what he's already getting and London based.

It's a massive blow given Bazunu seems to be the second choice goalkeeper if you were to go by whose actually playing games I think. But Randolph is stuck on the bench for West Ham. Under Mick that was grand because we played defensive so he got away with it but he's made a few mistakes lately and shows that not playing regularly is going to affect him playing in a style that's not as defensive as Mick's and where the keeper is expected to use his feet more.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Sounds like a harmless enough video

Someone in the camp (player or staff) can't be trusted.

I think most would agree that whomever went public with that shouldnt play for us again.

If someone had a problem with it, they should have made it known internally and let it be dealt with.

Going public is sneaky and I wouldnt want them to play again regardless of who it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

He's in contract until the summer of 2023. He's not going to need a move because whose probably going to pay him more than what he's already getting and London based.

It's a massive blow given Bazunu seems to be the second choice goalkeeper if you were to go by whose actually playing games I think. But Randolph is stuck on the bench for West Ham. Under Mick that was grand because we played defensive so he got away with it but he's made a few mistakes lately and shows that not playing regularly is going to affect him playing in a style that's not as defensive as Mick's and where the keeper is expected to use his feet more.

Thought Randolph was awful with his distribution of the ball last few matches. Too slow and too much at an awkward height to the full backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

That link doesn’t seem to be working for me and I dont see anything about it in the Internet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Kieran O'Hara's played most games for Burton Albion this season, but like Bazunu, that's League One level. There's also McDermott playing in Norway.

If Westwood gets back in the Sheffield Wednesday team as suggested above that'd give us a Championship keeper, but he's 36. If we're lucky, it'd be a solution for one campaign.

It'd be nice if Travers displaced Begovic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

kksaints wrote: »
    Thought Randolph was awful with his distribution of the ball last few matches. Too slow and too much at an awkward height to the full backs.

His passing is actually fairly poor, despite his confidence with his feet when being closed down.

But it's not like we have an abundance of other options at the moment, and he generally hasn't let us down much in the actual goalkeeping part of being a goalkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

sugarman wrote: »
    No quotes or sources in that article and theyre the only one reporting it.

Would be seriously bad form if true, 33 with plenty still to offer while Kenny could have had the chance to give vital experience to other keepers in these games.

There is some potential good news in the goalkeeping department though, Westwood has been taken in from the cold at Sheffield Weds by new manager Pulis and is expected to start on the weekend. Hasnt been with the first team in nearly a year.

Hardly like he is spending more time with the family either given the last time he was in the news it was for battering some Brazilian allegedly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Seems like fake news tbh. Can't see any other source backing this up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Link not found now. Looks like it was a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Yeah he would have opted out at the same time as McGoldrick if he was going to retire. Hopefully in another few years we have other viable options in goal. I think Bazunu could be a decent prospect. Unsure what level Travers or Kelleher will reach yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah surely that isn't true. Would be strange for our first choice keeper to pack it in at that age but would be a big loss if true due to lack of options. I'd be very confident Bazunu will become our number one eventually but a bit early yet.

Yeah surely that isn't true. Would be strange for our first choice keeper to pack it in at that age but would be a big loss if true due to lack of options. I'd be very confident Bazunu will become our number one eventually but a bit early yet.

Absolutely nothing on twitter about it so I'd assume they made a mistake and whipped the article quickly.

Seems fairly nailed on tha Kelleher will be getting a January loan move for playing time anyway. Was all set to go in the summer window, until Alisson got injured and scuppered it. Come March we should have a better sense of how he's doing and what level he's at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I sense McGoldrick and Randolph know this is going no where and that's the real reason for them quitting.

Having said that there are others who need to move on as well, if not more so.

Edit: I see the article has been removed

I sense McGoldrick and Randolph know this is going no where and that's the real reason for them quitting.

Having said that there are others who need to move on as well, if not more so.

Edit: I see the article has been removed

That's a bit of a leap... McGoldrick turns 33 in a week, is a regular for his club side in the Premier League, and is becoming increasingly injury prone. I hate to see him leave, but it makes total sense for him to do everything he can to keep getting as much time as he can on the field for Sheffield Utd. Given their other purchases up front, it's likely be'll be moved on at seasons end and he needs form and fitness to trade on for his next club.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement