Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Travers career seems to have stalled somewhat.

I sense McGoldrick and Randolph know this is going no where and that's the real reason for them quitting.

If the story has been pulled, "your sense" could be "nonsense".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,940 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Randolph a great servant for us and saved us on more than a few occasions. Best of luck to him

Its prob ideal time for some of the older lads to step away. Big rebuild and the goalkeeping position could be a little issue regarding first team club football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't care what was in the video. What does concern me is the fact that the coaching staff thought the need to show one at all, which to me screams David Brent amateur hour. Pretty sure anyone that follows this sport knows those goals inside out, and that everyone knows England are considered our rivals. To me the very thought of even playing a video just signifies we are now a banter outfit. It's like an idea from 30 years ago and I can't imagine a top coach doing this today.

The leaking of it also suggests all is not well behind the scenes and that the confidence in their methods - whatever they are - is disappearing quickly. That's not a surprise.

All the signs suggest the World Cup campaign is going to see us limp our way to an uncompetitive finish, akin to the Staunton era. Even a 'kind' draw wouldn't inspire me with confidence under this lot. And the Irish public won't tolerate putting up with not even having a sniff of a chance to qualify. Losing via play-offs is one thing, not even having a prayer of getting involved in one is another.

There was some initial talk of this video costing Kenny and co. their job but I don't want that to be the case. They don't deserve to go out as martyrs. Let the Balls.ie, Joe.ie, Off The Ball etc. experts, who hyped this appointment up, and who savaged previous coaches for far less, own their mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

I don't care what was in the video. What does concern me is the fact that the coaching staff thought the need to show one at all, which to me screams David Brent amateur hour. Pretty sure anyone that follows this sport knows those goals inside out, and that everyone knows England are considered our rivals. To me the very thought of even playing a video just signifies we are now a banter outfit. It's like an idea from 30 years ago and I can't imagine a top coach doing this today.

The leaking of it also suggests all is not well behind the scenes and that the confidence in their methods - whatever they are - is disappearing quickly. That's not a surprise.

All the signs suggest the World Cup campaign is going to see us limp our way to an uncompetitive finish, akin to the Staunton era. Even a 'kind' draw wouldn't inspire me with confidence under this lot. And the Irish public won't tolerate putting up with not even having a sniff of a chance to qualify. Losing via play-offs is one thing, not even having a prayer of getting involved in one is another.

There was some initial talk of this video costing Kenny and co. their job but I don't want that to be the case. They don't deserve to go out as martyrs. Let the Balls.ie, Joe.ie, Off The Ball etc. experts, who hyped this appointment up, and who savaged previous coaches for far less, own their mess.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115356926&postcount=4265

Let the Balls.ie, Joe.ie, Off The Ball etc. experts, who hyped this appointment up, and who savaged previous coaches for far less, own their mess.

A strange comment.

As you've disliked Kenny from the off, I appreciate you've had months to fixate on your theory. But for people like me who don't follow it, can you explain the link between those who support the manager and Joe.ie?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I don't care what was in the video. What does concern me is the fact that the coaching staff thought the need to show one at all

It has had the opposite effect on me. I thought Kenny wasn't doing anything and to hear he is trying things makes me think that he is at least trying to get things/spirit going. With the covid situation it must be a nightmare to get team spirit going and with the run of results at least he is doing/trying something.

I remember reading about an English club manager showing clips of hurling matches to his squad to show the effort that he wanted. I can't remember the club now though. So it is actually a good thing. Managers have always done that with videos. (Edit-See post above!)

His run of results has been terrible and I think if it wasn't happening now with covid he would be gone and rightly so. But the way things are, with covid, fai money situation etc, he has to continue. He still has a lot of goodwill as everyone (or most) want him to succeed but he has got nothing to show for it. It is only when I think of who do we get and then paying him off etc that I think we may as well continue. Just hoping a spark can set things off but I doubt it. Even though I really hope it changes for him.

He has had a horrid time with injuries etc The worrying thing is that he doesn't seem to change anything during games. He has got the team passing at least but corners and free kicks have been terrible. They are definite ways that we can score. It is just plough on and hope he can turn it around. You would hope with a full squad we might do better.

The most striking thing to me of his tenure is that there is no plan B. We just keep doing the same thing over and over. That comes from the manager. He either doesn't know how to change things on the pitch or he can't get it across. That is the most worrying thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'm so tired of hearing people bring up the name Steve Staunton. Stan managed an Irish team full of premier league talent. He actually had players playing at the highest level and winning trophies, but he failed.

Despite what Jason McAteer might think, Kenny does not have that. We are nowhere near the level we were at in the 00s and it's not Stephen Kenny's fault. Stop comparing them.

It has had the opposite effect on me. I thought Kenny wasn't doing anything and to hear he is trying things makes me think that he is at least trying to get things/spirit going. With the covid situation it must be a nightmare to get team spirit going and with the run of results at least he is doing/trying something.

I remember reading about an English club manager showing clips of hurling matches to his squad to show the effort that he wanted. I can't remember the club now though. So it is actually a good thing. Managers have always done that with videos. (Edit-See post above!)

His run of results has been terrible and I think if it wasn't happening now with covid he would be gone and rightly so. But the way things are, with covid, fai money situation etc, he has to continue. He still has a lot of goodwill as everyone (or most) want him to succeed but he has got nothing to show for it. It is only when I think of who do we get and then paying him off etc that I think we may as well continue. Just hoping a spark can set things off but I doubt it. Even though I really hope it changes for him.

He has had a horrid time with injuries etc The worrying thing is that he doesn't seem to change anything during games. He has got the team passing at least but corners and free kicks have been terrible. They are definite ways that we can score. It is just plough on and hope he can turn it around. You would hope with a full squad we might do better.

The most striking thing to me of his tenure is that there is no plan B. We just keep doing the same thing over and over. That comes from the manager. He either doesn't know how to change things on the pitch or he can't get it across. That is the most worrying thing.

It was Sir Alex Ferguson allegedly.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/tomas-o-se-the-commitment-fergie-was-so-impressed-by-a-decade-back-has-now-gone-to-another-level-38329564.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

pjohnson wrote: »
    I'd say we can all agree James McClean defo wasnt the one that took offence to any political video :pac:

Maybe it is McClean and we have it all wrong. He complained about the video as it wasnt offensive enough :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's not about the concept of playing a video. Yes, that can be a motivating factor. One good example I recall from a few years ago was Toulouse coach Pascal Dupraz playing a video of the player's family members spelling out how proud they were of them while the club was fighting to stay up. It worked.

I'm not against the concept of videos, rather it's about the context. Here we had an Ireland coaching staff that thought the players needed one to motivate them for a game with England. England. It's absolute amateur hour stuff however you try to dress it up. Imagine Ian Baraclough ahead of a friendly with us playing a video featuring goals from NI players against ourselves through the years, with a narration at the end explaining the rivalry. We would all ridicule that for the cringeworthy pub level nonsense that it is, and rightly so. It's about the context.

As for Staunton, perhaps it is unfair to compare Kenny to him - after all Staunton had an impressive 3-0 win over Sweden in his first game, whereas Kenny is winless in 8 games with only 1 goal to show for it. Perhaps it's maligning Staunton to compare him to a chap with a worse record at this point.

What is amusing though is that the very people who were on these forums for years absolutely savaging the likes of O'Neill and Trapattoni for not trying a more expansive style, insisting that we DID have the players and that they were Premier League players at that - are now the very ones saying, 'oh, hang on, actually, we don't have the players after all. But sure let's stick with using them in this ambitious style, with an inexperienced coach, in the hope they'll eventually outplay opposition that are far better technically than they are.' And this makes sense how?

Ultimately, what is Kenny's fault is that he is picking players that aren't an appropriate fit for the style he professes to want to play. As long as he continues stubbornly to keep trying to turn Hendrick and Hourihane into Hoolahans we're going nowhere.

What I said in this post a month ago rings true even more so today, and I'll return to the last part:
    Question for those saying 'give him time': do you agree with Kenny selecting the above players to implement his approach? If yes, at what point can we expect to see it bear fruit? If no, at what point can we expect him to pick the players that will actually suit his preferred style? And if your answer is that Kenny doesn't see any current Irish midfielders as being capable of implementing his preferred style, does that not beg the question why we got rid of McCarthy for him in the first place? Wouldn't we have been better off sticking with a pragmatic coach that maximised our limited positives and tried to hide our sizeable negatives, rather than one that persisted stubbornly with a philosophy that his chosen personnel had not the attributes to enact?

I put it to the Kenny defenders that if the man were not Irish, and not associated with the LOI, then you would not be so quick to passionately defend this dismal record we've seen so far. I've seen previous coaches without the above connections be derided for far less than this.

I put it to the Kenny defenders that if the man were not Irish, and not associated with the LOI, then you would not be so quick to passionately defend this dismal record we've seen so far. I've seen previous coaches without the above connections be derided for far less than this.

I put it to the Kenny haters like you that, if the man wasn't Irish, and not associated with the LOI, then you would accept he has the worst squad ever, even before the 10/12/14 withdrawals, playing in front of empty stadiums, trying to change years of hoofball. There is nothing as Irish as denigrating our own, I've seen previous coaches without the above connections cheered on for beating Gibraltar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It seems some on here seem to think they know what happened. Maybe they have some inside info maybe they dont. Some might know staff or player or 2.

Seems be more assumptions than anything at minute though.

Nobody really seems to know what happened. The Kenny out brigade seem to be hoping this is worse than it maybe already though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I put it to the Kenny haters like you that, if the man wasn't Irish, and not associated with the LOI, then you would accept he has the worst squad ever, even before the 10/12/14 withdrawals, playing in front of empty stadiums, trying to change years of hoofball. There is nothing as Irish as denigrating our own, I've seen previous coaches without the above connections cheered on for beating Gibraltar.

Eoin Hand

John Giles

I'm not sure who Conor74 is having a go at.

Zico wrote: »
    Eoin Hand

John Giles

I'm not sure who Conor74 is having a go at.

When a poster suggests supporters are only motivated because a manager is Irish, I was merely making the very obvious point that those who dislike him (and Mr.Nice Guy disliked him from the first game) may suffer from the reverse prejudice. What else could explain gunning for him before a ball was kicked or just completely ignoring the difficulties he faces? And now you're mention those two, while I don't remember the Giles era, some of the reaction to Hand was almost visceral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

It's said that Robinson (who wasnt present for the video) lost an uncle in the Birmingham bombings and was the most offended upon hearing of the content.
    If we're gonna chase every player with the most teneous irish link in England we really need to start being more mindful of what content we decide to show to motivate them and sensitive to their varying political leanings. We're team GB and ireland now so need to start behaving that way and tone down the Wolfe Tones rubbish.

TheadoreT wrote: »
    It's said that Robinson (who wasnt present for the video) lost an uncle in the Birmingham bombings and was the most offended upon hearing of the content.
    If we're gonna chase every player with the most teneous irish link in England we really need to start being more mindful of what content we decide to show to motivate them...

But he wasn't shown it, he wasn't there.

I fully agree about not needing Wolfe Tone rebel songs stuff...I'm just not sure that they were really shown "up the 'Ra" type messages. I remember when team bonding consisted of visits to the pub and the Pope, maybe Kenny has to move things on both on and off the pitch.

And if it upset a person who wasn't even there, it's very possible wires got crossed when it was relayed to him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If we're gonna chase every player with the most teneous irish link in England we really need to start being more mindful of what content we decide to show to motivate them and sensitive to their varying political leanings. We're team GB and ireland now so need to start behaving that way and tone down the Wolfe Tones rubbish.

I disagree. I do not support terrorism but you can't rewrite our history, especially on this the anniversary of bloody Sunday. Irish people died fighting a war against Britain. Those players putting on the Jersey of the country that people died for should remember that or not turn up at all.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

It's not about the concept of playing a video. Yes, that can be a motivating factor. One good example I recall from a few years ago was Toulouse coach Pascal Dupraz playing a video of the player's family members spelling out how proud they were of them while the club was fighting to stay up. It worked.

I'm not against the concept of videos, rather it's about the context. Here we had an Ireland coaching staff that thought the players needed one to motivate them for a game with England. England. It's absolute amateur hour stuff however you try to dress it up. Imagine Ian Baraclough ahead of a friendly with us playing a video featuring goals from NI players against ourselves through the years, with a narration at the end explaining the rivalry. We would all ridicule that for the cringeworthy pub level nonsense that it is, and rightly so. It's about the context.

As for Staunton, perhaps it is unfair to compare Kenny to him - after all Staunton had an impressive 3-0 win over Sweden in his first game, whereas Kenny is winless in 8 games with only 1 goal to show for it. Perhaps it's maligning Staunton to compare him to a chap with a worse record at this point.

What is amusing though is that the very people who were on these forums for years absolutely savaging the likes of O'Neill and Trapattoni for not trying a more expansive style, insisting that we DID have the players and that they were Premier League players at that - are now the very ones saying, 'oh, hang on, actually, we don't have the players after all. But sure let's stick with using them in this ambitious style, with an inexperienced coach, in the hope they'll eventually outplay opposition that are far better technically than they are.' And this makes sense how?

Ultimately, what is Kenny's fault is that he is picking players that aren't an appropriate fit for the style he professes to want to play. As long as he continues stubbornly to keep trying to turn Hendrick and Hourihane into Hoolahans we're going nowhere.

What I said in this post a month ago rings true even more so today, and I'll return to the last part:

Guardiola thought that the Barcelona players needed a motivational video before a champions league final one of the biggest matches in a players career. Is that amateur hour to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

There was no Wolfe tones songs being played in the dressing room or anything like that just a brief history lesson, if our history makes you uncomfortable then maybe it's time to reconsider putting on that green Jersey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

You are so against Stephen Kenny that it feels like you've a personal grudge against him. Do you know personally or have you had a bad experience with him or something? Or does that just go for the loi in general?

I agree that results and performances have not been good enough. He is being given more leeway than possibly any other coach we have had, but I would not put that down to him being from the LOI or being Irish. I would put it down to the fact that we are trying to do something that is not going to be a quick fix. It was never going to be an overnight job trying to implement a new style and blood young players through. Thats even before you factor in the covid/injuries and playing games behind closed doors.

Fair enough if you think he was not the right man for the job, that is your opinion and you could be proven right in time. But we cannot sack him now after a few nations league games. It would be a huge jump of the gun and not to mention financially the FAI could never afford it.

Staunton was given 17 games, to sack a manager after 8 what are largely experimental games would be mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think it would be just about okay to stick with Kenny on the basis that he has had less than 10 competitive games in difficult circumstances.

But those games have been absolutely terrible with 11 hours absent of a goal and the first time since 1971 where the senior team haven't won a match. Finally, aside from England, every opponent we have played have been squarely at our level.

However, if the players and extended support staff feel he is out of his depth that would be reason enough to get rid of him. Because as much as it is 10 games, it's been a few months of him within the role and there have been plenty of hours, days and weeks where he has been performing the role to make a general assessment on his suitability. In the context of dreadful results and anaemic performances, if that's off it would be justification to move on.

That's the only reason the video is relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

There some strange view that your playing for national team, no you're playing for a FAI Company Limited by Guarantee set up in 1958 not a country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭adaminho

There some strange view that your playing for national team, no you're playing for a FAI Company Limited by Guarantee set up in 1958 not a country.

So, are you waiting for a takeover from Qatar? Maybe Oman were secretly trying to buy us out!

adaminho wrote: »
    So, are you waiting for a takeover from Qatar? Maybe Oman were secretly trying to buy us out!

well for a long time the team was being financed by somebody living in Malta.

The team were essentially background props for Denis O'Brien's lobbying of political figures, nothing to do with national pride.

well for a long time the team Chairmans lifestyle was being financed by somebody living in Malta.

FYP

So you're on the Republic of Ireland team thread insisting there is no Republic of Ireland team?

That's deep maaaaaaaan, I don't even know if I exist now, you got me thinking crazy stuff about identity...

So you're on the Republic of Ireland team thread insisting there is no Republic of Ireland team?

That's deep maaaaaaaan, I don't even know if I exist now, you got me thinking crazy stuff about identity...

its a licensee of FIFA, its Kenny that was apparently aiming for something "deep" and then apparently it misfired with at least 1 person.

FYP

it was the managers he was paying the salaries of

its a licensee of FIFA, its Kenny that was apparently aiming for something "deep" and then apparently it misfired with at least 1 person.

Are you sitting down?

This could be a revelation.

Ireland exists, not because it is licensed by UEFA, but because it is a country. And the Irish football team represents the country, in football.

The licence allows it play in international competition. But the concept of Ireland and a representative team does not hinge on licensing. Or, put another way, if the licence was revoked, we and the team would not cease to exist, we would merely stop playing licensed countries...

• Advertisement

it was the managers he was paying the salaries of

And that beg's the question of why they needed someone else to pay it if they were earning so much! I wonder if the "corporate entity" you support needed to ask for external support would you not ask where the money went?

And that beg's the question of why they needed someone else to pay it if they were earning so much! I wonder if the "corporate entity" you support needed to ask for external support would you not ask where the money went?

well thats a different question, but it does point the same issue pointed to up thread the manager can only do so much with the players he has and paying for expensive one may not make that much difference.

Are you sitting down?

This could be a revelation.

Ireland exists, not because it is licensed by UEFA, but because it is a country. And the Irish football team represents the country, in football.

The licence allows it play in international competition. But the concept of Ireland and a representative team does not hinge on licensing. Or, put another way, if the licence was revoked, we and the team would not cease to exist, we would merely stop playing licensed countries...

who would they play then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

who would they play then?

Same as all the other unlicensed teams like the Basque Country, or Catalonia, could only play unofficial friendlies.

This is all a really pedantic tangent though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Maybe it is McClean and we have it all wrong. He complained about the video as it wasnt offensive enough :P
    I wonder if he had his balaclava on during the video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Supposedly Ireland's number 1 striker Connolly can't get into the Brighton team ahead of Danny Wellbeck really isn't a great look for Ireland's future.

Supposedly Ireland's number 1 striker Connolly can't get into the Brighton team ahead of Danny Wellbeck really isn't a great look for Ireland's future.

Connolly that missed the last 3 games injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

To be fair to Connolly he is not an out an out striker. He is a promising player but at 20 he is still just that a young lad taking his first steps at the top level in senior football.

As for Ireland we do not have a number 1 striker. We have a few promising young attackers of whom Connolly is one but they are all young and totally un proven and or established at senior level on the club scene never mind internationally. This is part of our reality at the moment. We have very little talent in our senior international squad particularly in the attacking areas. All we have is a few promising young players who may or may not turn out to be good players at the top level. Anybody who does not recognise that Ireland is in for an extended period of rebuilding and will not be qualifying for the next World Cup Finals as an example is indulging in fantasy.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Same as all the other unlicensed teams like the Basque Country, or Catalonia, could only play unofficial friendlies.

This is all a really pedantic tangent though...

I know Basque and Catalonia want to be countries but they are not.

Stephen Kenny doesn't think its a tangent, he thinks it motivation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Connolly is in trouble at Brighton, had chances the last year or so and overall didnt really do it. Welbeck looks a decent signing and Brighton are missing Trossard today too

We need to remember these young strikers ages... only 2 forwards under 20 got regular minutes in the Premier League last season. Mason Greenwood, and Aaron Connolly. That’s it.

He’s waaaay ahead of the curve, and it’s no surprise that he’s been pushed back a bit as Brighton stayed in the league, with the addition of Wellbeck and Lallana.

Also, let’s be real - if Danny Wellbeck was Irish, he’d have 60+ caps by now.

The positivity we have for Connolly and Parrott has to be tempered by their age. They’re still developing, and that just takes time.

I know Basque and Catalonia want to be countries but they are not.

Ok. So? You asked who we’d play without being affiliated with the international governing body. And I answered that those other unaffiliated teams are exactly a reference for who we’d play. They play other nations all the time, but just in friendlies. We’d be the same. We could still play anyone we wanted, but if we didn’t have entry to international competition, they could only be friendlies.
    Stephen Kenny doesn't think its a tangent, he thinks it motivation.

What? No. I mean the pedantic tangent of “well actually it’s not a national team, it’s a licensed corporation with Ireland in its name”, because in reality, for everyone, it’s the National team.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

I hope that limited company is paying royalties for using amhrán na bhFiann so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Molumby came on at the end for his PL debut, good to see as had worried he would just waste away in their 23s until January. Parrott got on for the last fifteen for Millwall too, hopefully he can start getting a few starts once he is match fit again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Alan Kelly with a strong statement on twitter

EnXLMlKXMAIoZMu?format=jpg&name=medium

• Advertisement

I hope that limited company is paying royalties for using amhrán na bhFiann so
    its out of copyright since 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Stewball

Seems a bit odd there is no mention of Kenny or the video in his statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭4goneConclusion

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think it would be just about okay to stick with Kenny on the basis that he has had less than 10 competitive games in difficult circumstances.

But those games have been absolutely terrible with 11 hours absent of a goal and the first time since 1971 where the senior team haven't won a match. Finally, aside from England, every opponent we have played have been squarely at our level.

However, if the players and extended support staff feel he is out of his depth that would be reason enough to get rid of him. Because as much as it is 10 games, it's been a few months of him within the role and there have been plenty of hours, days and weeks where he has been performing the role to make a general assessment on his suitability. In the context of dreadful results and anaemic performances, if that's off it would be justification to move on.

That's the only reason the video is relevant.

Sorry but that's just not a fair comparison at all. The last time we beat a team at our level was October 2017 against Wales. So you can easily judge 2020 in line with both 2018 and 2019. I've no doubt Kenny would have a win by now if we had played Georgia or Gibraltar recently.

Also it's obvious to most that despite not scoring recently the general play has been positive and that's under extreme circumstances where he can't even pick the same team from one game to the next.

We will be 3rd seeds for the WC campaign so if we make a play-off it would be a great achievement. I would let Kenny use that campaign to build a squad of players that can play to his style and then really judge him on the following Euros campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

How do the playoffs actually work for the World Cup? Is it second place or Nations League? Or a mixture of both?

Stewball wrote: »
    Seems a bit odd there is no mention of Kenny or the video in his statement.

I don't think so... that's not what his statement is about. Makes much more sense that his statement would stick to the point that it's making, calling out Aidan Fitzmaurice's terrible bit of journalism snidely linking him to the leak without having the guts to outright say it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement