Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Still Ill wrote: »
    How do the playoffs actually work for the World Cup? Is it second place or Nations League? Or a mixture of both?

Mixture of both - the 10 second place teams and the top 2 Nations League teams all go into playoffs against each other for the last 3 World Cup spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Josh Cullen an unused substitute during Anderlecht's loss to Beerschot. He's not getting much game time there at the moment. Started shortly after he signed but has been relegated to the bench ever since. Hopefully it's just a case of him settling in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭showpony1

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Also, let’s be real - if Danny Wellbeck was Irish, he’d have 60+ caps by now.

He was also leading the line for Man United who finished 2nd in the Premier League behind Man City on goal difference after an implosion when he was a young lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Molumby came on at the end for his PL debut, good to see as had worried he would just waste away in their 23s until January. Parrott got on for the last fifteen for Millwall too, hopefully he can start getting a few starts once he is match fit again.

I watched it, and he was shockingly bad. I don't think he's the one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

He has 42 caps & 16 goals for England too which isn't bad

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Mixture of both - the 10 second place teams and the top 2 Nations League teams all go into playoffs against each other for the last 3 World Cup spots.

Thats tough . We may not see another world cup .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Thats tough . We may not see another world cup .

Based on the lack of talent in our squad and the fact that only the group winners and then only 3 of the 12 playoff teams actually qualify for the 2022 World Cup Finals there is zero chance of Ireland qualifying for the next World Cup Finals. This next campaign IMHO has to be seen as part of our rebuild. Expecting to qualify is an unrealistic goal IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

13 European places out of 32 is ridiculous. But yeah, Ireland isn't in the top 20 in Europe right now, let alone the top 13.

sugarman wrote: »
    Doesnt get much for 2026 either when the World Cup is expanded to 48 teams, UEFA are only set to get an additional 3 spots!

CONMEBOL (South America) are set to get 6 in total where only feckin 10 teams compete!

...and the god awful nations in CONCACAF (Central America) are set to get 6 up from 3.

Wow I did not know that. What a total joke that is. CONCACAf is a joke even getting the 3 spots and a playoff for another spot. That basically gives the US and Mexico a free pass to the finals unless they royally screw things up like the US did last time out. But come on 6 places for CONCACAF is an utter joke. Agree with you about South American getting 6 spots when there are only 10 countries competing but I suppose at least those other teams are decent that will get in unlike CONCACAF. Whatever about my Ireland bias Europe totally getting the shaft now for spots. As bad as Ireland is now even this Ireland team would qualify from CONCACAF with 6 spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Kenny is ok after the FAI investigation. Looks like he was backed by the senior players so thats a good thing.

https://www.the42.ie/stephen-kennys-job-safe-as-senior-players-back-ireland-boss-amid-video-investigation-5275702-Nov2020/?utm_source=shortlink

• Advertisement

Kenny is ok after the FAI investigation. Looks like he was backed by the senior players so thats a good thing.

https://www.the42.ie/stephen-kennys-job-safe-as-senior-players-back-ireland-boss-amid-video-investigation-5275702-Nov2020/?utm_source=shortlink

Right decision but an utter farce this was ever made into a big deal. Smacks of someone with an agenda to me trying to make a problem where none exists to get rid of Kenny. Could it be a disgruntled FAI or former FAI people not liking all the changes going on at the FAI. I really do not know but there is something rotten here about this whole thing IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Wait, I'm confused. I thought we had a few insights from those in the know here that Kenny had lost the players already?

sterz wrote: »
    Wait, I'm confused. I thought we had a few insights from those in the know here that Kenny had lost the players already?

Like...
    The leaking of it also suggests all is not well behind the scenes and that the confidence in their methods - whatever they are - is disappearing quickly. That's not a surprise.
    roverjoyce wrote: »
    From the outside, looks like the manager has lost the players already
    Have they checked out?
    Azatadine wrote: »
    I'd say its only a matter of time now. He's probably lost the dressing room at this stage now, if he ever had it in the first place.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Kenny is out of his depth and the players aren't buying into the approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Like...

I stand by it.

Azatadine wrote: »
    I stand by it.

Well, you could be right and Coleman, Duffy and Brady clueless, firing out idle speculation plucked out of thin air.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Articles this evening seem to suggest it was actually Kelly that had the issue with the video/speech but kept the matter private with Kenny and their was another source for the leak.

Randolphs name is being bandied about as the source for the leak, although I dont know if thats to do with the article the other day that was swiftly pulled down that he was set to announce his International retirement and people are connecting dots that are simply not there.

Hard to know, but it seems everyone has backed Kenny fully on the matter either way.

What articles/sources are suggesting the above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

https://extra.ie/2020/11/21/sport/soccernews/ireland-players-doubts-stephen-kenny

he raised his voice?? really? that's the least you'd expect when a team of pros can't get a shot on target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I'm glad that Kenny has survived this, not withstanding the fact that a 3 minute video of goals and historical context is the last thing thats going to fire up a room of well paid professional journeymen players.

When he's fired I want it to be absolutely clear that it's for the results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ah Jaysus. RIP Maurice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

R.I.P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Acosta

Robbie Brady gone off injured again not even 10 minutes after coming on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EPb99SIwuk

Kind of fitting that this dropped today.

R.I.P. Maurice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Acosta wrote: »
    Robbie Brady gone off injured again not even 10 minutes after coming on
    Have to feel for the guy. No luck with injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Ings out for Southampton, Long and Obafemi still on the bench.

• Advertisement

Division: The Irish Soccer Split on RTE 2.

A reminder that there is one obvious way of improving the football fortunes of both sides on the island, and that is to unsplit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Troy Parrott starts for Millwall tonight against Reading and Knight continues to start for Derby against Boro. O'Dowda also starting again tonight and Manning is on the bench for Swansea.

Parrott playing well so far. Got the free kick for the goal

Division: The Irish Soccer Split on RTE 2.

A reminder that there is one obvious way of improving the football fortunes of both sides on the island, and that is to unsplit.

Totally agree. Would be good both at the national team and national league levels.

I wonder how far a United Ireland team would gave got in 1982 World Cup.

No doubt it would gave helped all way through but that's the time both Countries were very good at same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Duffy really unlucky to choose this year to join Celtic. They are woejus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Loan move was a big mistake. A player of his age and ability should have been trying to get as long a contract as he could for as much money as he could regardless of who he was going to play for.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

pjohnson wrote: »

In fairness to Duffy, he has done his best to contribute to Celtics awfulness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

He's woejus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Team number 42 according to latest Fifa rankings. 3rd pot confirmed for WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

That is like something the FAI would come out with! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Connolly has been decent against Liverpool today one or their most dangerous players. Probably should have scored. Looked rightly aggrieved to be subbed off on the hour mark.

Edit: and his replacement off injured 10 mins later so that hasn't worked out for them.

henke wrote: »
    Connolly has been decent against Liverpool today one or their most dangerous players. Probably should have scored. Looked rightly aggrieved to be subbed off on the hour mark.

Strikes me as a lad that just wants to play football nonstop. Though some have talked about attitude stuff before, I'd say his lack of game time over the last few weeks has him annoyed that he's the one subbed off when he's playing well. Won them the penalty too.

Good to see Parrott starting again today. Hopefully he can get another good run out. Rowett was impressed with him in the last game.

Edit: Andrew Omobamidele named on the bench for Norwich. Plays CB for the U19s and only turned 18th in the summer so would be underage still if the U19s have any games this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

No Ryan Nolan in the Getafe squad this weekend, but 17 year old John Joe Patrick Finn has made the bench for them!

Some of you might recall him signing for Real Madrid as a kid a few years ago around the same time Zak Gilsenan signed for Barca. (At Blackburn now).

Finn remained on the bench throughout. On a brighter note Josh Cullen starts for Anderlecht against Standard Liege.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

No Ryan Nolan in the Getafe squad this weekend, but 17 year old John Joe Patrick Finn has made the bench for them!

Some of you might recall him signing for Real Madrid as a kid a few years ago around the same time Zak Gilsenan signed for Barca. (At Blackburn now).

Has Finn been involved at under age at all? Also eligible for Cameroon

• Advertisement

Has Finn been involved at under age at all? Also eligible for Cameroon

Nope. Think yesterday was the first anyone's heard of him in years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

There was a thread started on here about Joe Patrick Finn 8 years ago!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056605403

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Kingp35 wrote: »
    There was a thread started on here about Joe Patrick Finn 8 years ago!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056605403

Congo Powers user needs to take a bow with that prediction (let them off with not being star just yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

The butt on the ref in the womens match. 😂😂.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Very well taken penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Big balls from McCabe top corner stuff. Come on you girls in green

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Kelleher starting in goal for Liverpool v Ajax in Champions League tonight!

Wow. Massive night for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

A huge opportunity for him tonight, and he will get to test himself against Dutch opposition which is where is is rumoured to be going out on loan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Wow under Brexit Irish players can't join English teams until there 18,
    That will finish Irish football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Wow under Brexit Irish players can't join English teams until there 18,
    That will finish Irish football

Or maybe the FAI will finally realise we can't keeping relying on the English game to develop our players and institute reforms, support youth football and integrate it into the senior club level game better?

Oh lol, nevermind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement