Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Wow under Brexit Irish players can't join English teams until there 18,
    That will finish Irish football

The irony of this post is hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The irony of this post is hilarious

Nothong ironic about it,
    Our quality of player in the national team will suffer hugely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

RonanG86 wrote: »
    Or maybe the FAI will finally realise we can't keeping relying on the English game to develop our players and institute reforms, support youth football and integrate it into the senior club level game better?

Oh lol, nevermind.

Or maybe European leagues will become more the norm for young Irish talent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

sugarman wrote: »
    Kelleher starting in goal for Liverpool v Ajax in Champions League tonight!

I wonder when was the last time an Irish man played for the league champions in a major competition. It must be a while.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Why is that (or maybe where did you see that)? We have the common travel area agreement and memo of understanding as agreed in 2019 regardless of Brexit.

• Advertisement

henke wrote: »
    I wonder when was the last time an Irish man played for the league champions in a major competition. It must be a while.

Has to be O Shea doesnt it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

John O'Shea?
    Darron Gibson too possibly?

DM_7 wrote: »
    Why is that (or maybe where did you see that)? We have the common travel area agreement and memo of understanding as agreed in 2019 regardless of Brexit.

Lads speaking abiut it in the studio on RTE before the Liverpool game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Huh?

Quazzie wrote: »
    Or maybe European leagues will become more the norm for young Irish talent

Or even better, Irish clubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

lawred2 wrote: »

Nah, ya want them to progress to be professional footballers.

Nothong ironic about it,
    Our quality of player in the national team will suffer hugely

Is this a joke?

Have national standards been any lower in the last 40 years than they are now!?

John O'Shea?
    Darron Gibson too possibly?

Possibly. Would Given have played any CL for city when they won their first league. I can't remember. He might have been out of favour at that point.

In a perfect world or in a decades time but currently they arent capable of developing players like English clubs

In a perfect world or in a decades time but currently they arent capable of developing players like English clubs

Devouring young players you mean..

Is this a joke?

Have national standards been any lower in the last 40 years than they are now!?

Because we have less lads playing in top English clubs than any time in the last 40 years

Do yiu think the standard will improve if we have less again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Possibly. Would Given have played any CL for city when they won their first league. I can't remember. He might have been out of favour at that point.

Damien Duff would be another

Damien Duff would be another

Yeah it's not Given anyway. Left city in 2011 and they won their first PL in 11/12. Would think O'Shea Duff or Gibson though. A while anyway we can safely say.

Lads speaking abiut it in the studio on RTE before the Liverpool game

Thanks. I think that is only an assumption though.

As far as I knew FIFA have not committed to anything post end of the withdrawal agreement and won't until there is a case to be put forward for decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

DM_7 wrote: »

FIFA rules ban the international transfer of players under the age of 18. There's an exemption there for EU member states and countries in the EEA, because of the freedom of movement within the EU. Unless the UK remain in the EEA then they'll have to hope FIFA throw in another exemption to article 19.

They still technically could sign players, as there's another exemption in article 19 but the players along with their families would need to relocate to England for non footballing reasons.

• Advertisement

More players might stay with clubs here and that will "finish Irish football"?

:confused::confused:

This is the national team thread so in context of where a large % of Irish players develop it is fair to think a scenario where 16 to 18 year olds cannot be signed by English clubs will impact in a negative way on that team.

Should it happen, it might be good for Irish domestic football sides.

FIFA rules ban the international transfer of players under the age of 18. There's an exemption there for EU member states and countries in the EEA, because of the freedom of movement within the EU. Unless the UK remain in the EEA then they'll have to hope FIFA throw in another exemption to article 19.

They still technically could sign players, as there's another exemption in article 19 but the players along with their families would need to relocate to England for non footballing reasons.

Thanks, I did not realise it was in context of the FIFA rules when I asked earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The FA posted about it:

https://www.thefa.com/news/2020/dec/01/gbe-points-based-system-launched-011220

Maybe players here could end up heading to other leagues like the Netherlands, France, Germany etc. On the other hand, if the UK make Ireland exempt from this, you would probably see a big increase in our players going over. It will have a big effect whatever happens.

The FA posted about it:

https://www.thefa.com/news/2020/dec/01/gbe-points-based-system-launched-011220

Maybe players here could end up heading to other leagues like the Netherlands, France, Germany etc. On the other hand, if the UK make Ireland exempt from this, you would probably see a big increase in our players going over. It will have a big effect whatever happens.

Thanks for that. The note attached defines a GBE player as 'any player who is not a citizen of the United Kingdom or Ireland and has not acquired permanent residence in the United Kingdom, been granted pre-settled status or settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme and who is not (and will not become) eligible to apply to the EU
    Settlement Scheme (and who has until 30 June 2021 to do so).'

https://www.thefa.com/-/media/thefacom-new/files/rules-and-regulations/2020-21/gbe-criteria/gbe-mens-players-criteria-jan-2021.ashx

So Irish citizens are exempt in terms of needing the endorsement.

Which brings it back to clarity required from FIFA for the 16 to 18 year olds.

In a way you are correct in the way there is an excellent academy system in most British clubs however this does not automatically mean it will benefit Irish kids going over, there are young lads from several european and international countries vying for success in these youth set ups,

What we need are high performance youth academies here at home where we can concentrate on developing domestic kids first and foremost and we are not too far away from making progress in this regard, you have the Rovers academy over at roadstone which has had increased funding recently, while Bohs dont have an academy per se they do have a decent youth set up in conjuction with other youth clubs in Dublin, the Glanmire project down in Cork should hopefully get off the ground over the next year or so and then there are plans for an academy over in Galway backed by the Comer group, so we should be in a better place in the next couple of years in terms of youth football development

We are not a huge country, we dont need an academy at every club, what we need is 4-5 well organised high performance centres and a pathway for development towards first team football, however we need to give young players here a platform, its no good having these player development academies if we dont have the finances to fund them, if people want to see our international team succeed then more fans are going to have to support Irish football

RTE slightly overdoing it but Kelleher was good tonight. Looked a lot better than the last time I seen him play which I think was a league cup game last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭polarbearhead

Kelleher impressive tonight. Great save from Huntelaar at the end

Indeed an impressive performance from Kelleher tonight, seems to have it all great shot stopper, good kick outs and can pass the ball, comfortable with the ball at his feet, probably needs to work on his ball handling a bit more but this will improve with more game time, no doubt this game will give Stephen Kenny something to think about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Nice to see Scott Hogan getting a goal tonight for Birmingham. Our attacking players have been on a dreadful run of form so far this season.

• Advertisement

Indeed an impressive performance from Kelleher tonight, seems to have it all great shot stopper, good kick outs and can pass the ball, comfortable with the ball at his feet, probably needs to work on his ball handling a bit more but this will improve with more game time, no doubt this game will give Stephen Kenny something to think about

Be interesting to see what Liverpool do now. Adrian hasn't always covered himself in glory when deputising for Alisson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Be interesting to see what Liverpool do now. Adrian hasn't always covered himself in glory when deputising for Alisson.

I'd be staggered if Adrian plays at the weekend after that performance from Kelleher.

The issue from an Irish point of view is that Alisson's only expected to miss a couple of games. Kelleher could be back on the bench by next weekend and won't play again until the FA Cup in January. Now that being said, it's not like Randolph or Travers are playing every week either.

I think Kelleher just made himself 2nd choice keeper, he should see more game time now, though there are plans for him to go out on loan in January, well have to wait and see

An interesting observation I thought and I seen someone also post it in the Liverpool thread in that he looks to have bulked up. I don't know if anyone else is seeing it? Liverpool clearly rate him and it I would imagine work has been going on behind the scenes for him to progress and they are invested in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Fair play to Caoimhín tonight, an impressive achievement and hopefully a big milestone in his career. It will be interesting to see where he goes in his career,still very young for a goalkeeper and I'm sure he is getting a great education at Liverpool but if he ever wants to be a number one at club level he will have to leave. A loan move would be sensible in January but if he is Allison's numbers two I can see the temptation in staying at Anfield, earn a nice living and win trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

RTE slightly overdoing it but Kelleher was good tonight. Looked a lot better than the last time I seen him play which I think was a league cup game last year.
    It was his best performance for us by a mile. But yea, I don't think we should be over-egging it just yet. I'd love to see him put four or five performances like this together, then we can really start getting excited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Kelleher was good but people dancing in the streets because a sub keeper got a game in the champions league shows how fall we have fallen as a nation .

Iv been a huge critic of Kelleher in the games iv seen him ,

He has always been great with the ball at his feet ( he played upfront for Cork select at 15 before playing the following year as a keeper ) but I always thought he wasn't great at actually saving shots and dealing with crosses, but my god he proved me wrong last night he had a super game,

He 100% has added size and I think its added to his presence,

One huge thing about last night is that he probably looked more assured than Adrian has in any game and the back 4 looked far more relaxed with him behind them than Adrian , We have to remember playing in goals for Liverpool in nearly every game you'll have more to do with your feet than hands,

I think he has stolen the spot as Liverpool's number 2 , for me he has to start the weekend now ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

He 100% has added size and I think its added to his presence,

100% !?

He must be HUUUGE!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

The beard has developed as well fairly nicely from the few wisps or so a year back. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Kelleher was good but people dancing in the streets because a sub keeper got a game in the champions league shows how fall we have fallen as a nation .

Jesus, we really are a nation of begrudgers aren't we.

No one is 'dancing in the streets', the majority of folks are clearly praising a young Irish GK who had an excellent game on his Champions League debut.

The difference in the game was Kelleher keeping a well deserved clean sheet and a more experienced keeper in Onana making a rookie mistake.

No Irish keeper has ever kept a clean sheet in the compeition proper and gives reason to be somewhat optimistic of our young players they'll hopefully kick on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

No one is 'dancing in the streets', the majority of folks are clearly praising a young Irish GK who had an excellent game on his Champions League debut.

The difference in the game was Kelleher keeping a well deserved clean sheet and a more experienced keeper in Onana making a rookie mistake.

No Irish keeper has ever kept a clean sheet in the compeition proper and gives reason to be somewhat optimistic of our young players they'll hopefully kick on.

Given surely has? If not with City then with Newcastle....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

pjohnson wrote: »
    Given surely has? If not with City then with Newcastle....

seemingly not... i woudlve thought he had mind

Shay Given Stats

City didnt qualify till after he left and the only 2 Newcaslte CL (not qualifying games) clean sheets i can see were Hisop (v Dinamo Kiev) and Harper (v Juve)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Relax buddy . I've taken nothing away from the goalkeepers performance. I stated that its unfortunate it's the only thing we have got to celebrate at top level football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    seemingly not... i woudlve thought he had mind

Shay Given Stats

City didnt qualify till after he left and the only 2 Newcaslte CL (not qualifying games) clean sheets i can see were Hisop (v Dinamo Kiev) and Harper (v Juve)

Wow that is quite an oddity tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

pjohnson wrote: »
    Wow that is quite an oddity tbf.

be a good table quiz question in a few years alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Since it was talked about yesterday.

https://twitter.com/soconaill/status/1334098595746902017

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Dont think its that odd since Given and Kelleher are the only 2 Irish keepers to have actually played in the Champions League proper!

You'd probably have to go back to the days of the old European Cup with Packie Bonner at Celtic to find another.

Remember, only 1 or 2 teams from England qualified for the CL until around 2000. Prob mid 2000s when it got to 4?

Not like we've had loads of keepers playing for top 4 clubs.

We were blessed with Given for 15 years+ and Packie before him. Their backups were mostly solid mid-bottom table keepers like Kelly and Kiely.

Unfortunately we dont even have that at moment, all our keepers are backup keepers at present!

These kinds of stats tick me off. It is the same when you hear them talking about supposedly epl records being broken. Not it is not a record. The Champions league is the same competition as the European Cup just as the epl is the same as the old first division. They try to behave as if nothing existed before. It is great Kelleher played so well yesterday and kept a clean sheet. But he is not the first Irish keeper to keep a clean sheet in the competition. As you rightly point out Packie Bonner did so playing for Celtic for one.

Dont think its that odd since Given and Kelleher are the only 2 Irish keepers to have actually played in the Champions League proper!

You'd probably have to go back to the days of the old European Cup with Packie Bonner at Celtic to find another.

Remember, only 1 or 2 teams from England qualified for the CL until around 2000. Prob mid 2000s when it got to 4?

Not like we've had loads of keepers playing for top 4 clubs.

We were blessed with Given for 15 years+ and Packie before him. Their backups were mostly solid mid-bottom table keepers like Kelly and Kiely.

Unfortunately we dont even have that at moment, all our keepers are backup keepers at present!

Your right its not odd at all,

Sure look at England themselves Henderson is there only keeper who is in the champions league and he's a 2nd choice, Joe Hart probably the last one before him ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Some good performances for Irtish players in championship last night:
    Manning played 90 and got an assist for Swansea
    Lenihan played for Blackburn while Parrott got 78 mins against him. Alex Pearce and Shaun Williams also played for Millwall.
    Collins got another goal for Luton in win over Norwich.
    Christie and Arter got full 90 and CS for Forest against Watford.
    McClean came on and got the assist for the winner for Stoke against Wycombe who Horgan played the full game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Some good performances for Irtish players in championship last night:
    Manning played 90 and got an assist for Swansea
    Lenihan played for Blackburn while Parrott got 78 mins against him. Alex Pearce and Shaun Williams also played for Millwall.
    Collins got another goal for Luton in win over Norwich.
    Christie and Arter got full 90 and CS for Forest against Watford.
    McClean came on and got the assist for the winner for Stoke against Wycombe who Horgan played the full game

Williams is with Millwall? Missed that happening.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement