Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

Duffer referencing the "motivational video" that Robinson took offence to lol. He doesn't seem impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

TheadoreT wrote: »
    Duffer referencing the "motivational video" that Robinson took offence to lol. He doesn't seem impressed.

He wasn't impressed by the video, or by someone being offended by it?

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He wasn't impressed by the video, or by someone being offended by it?

https://twitter.com/luke_oriordan/status/1336415613850411014?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Where did you see this?

So it was Callum Robinson who was the complainant?

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Where did you see this?

So it was Callum Robinson who was the complainant?

Yeah he lost a great-uncle at the hands of the cowardly IRA Birmingham bombings and was said to have been disgusted by the content of the video(despite not actually being present for it when shown)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Yeah he lost a great-uncle at the hands of the cowardly IRA Birmingham bombings and was said to have been disgusted by the content of the video(despite not actually being present for it when shown)

I doubt the IRA or Birmingham bombings were part of that video. Bizaar situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I doubt the IRA or Birmingham bombings were part of that video. Bizaar situation

And I doubt Robinson was offended, unless a source to that story can be proven since the poster seems to be the only person I've heard pushing this Robinson story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Is there anything to be said for another game against Oman?

If only we could play Oman every month.

sugarman wrote: »

Our best forward has retired, yes, but he is 33 and didnt score or create many goals for us. His best attribute was his hold up play to bring the midfielders into play ...who then also struggled to score themselves. Parrott has actually been doing a very similar job for Millwall the last few games.

He's definitely getting the first hand experience of what it's going be like to lead the line for Ireland as Millwall are woeful. Can see the fans turning on him shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

He's definitely getting the first hand experience of what it's going be like to lead the line for Ireland as Millwall are woeful. Can see the fans turning on him shortly.

Anyone see how he played last night? Would be nice to see him get off the mark soon but good to see he is getting minutes on the pitch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

ebbsy wrote: »
    If only we could play Oman every month.

The FAI no longer need to organise these glamour friendlies since the wage bill was reduced by €400k or so.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,472 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The FAI no longer need to organise these glamour friendlies since the wage bill was reduced by €400k or so.

Did they not lose over 5m in 2019

The 2020 accounts will be even worse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Millwall fans are famously patient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

We’re playing ‘away’ game v Qatar after Azerbaijan away. Azerbaijan probably the closest UEFA nation to Qatar. Seen as we’ll be only up the road FAI should offer to play the game in Qatar...

...for ONE MILLION DOLLARS!

aLcKqVK.jpg

Cullen started for Anderlecht tonight against league leaders Genk. Half an hour gone there and still 0-0. Seems to be getting plenty of minute there now after a slow start.

Love to see it! I really like seeing Irish players try a different route rather than Britain being the be-all and end-all. Would love to see more players give the MLS a try in the coming years as well - it's an improving league, with pretty high intensity.. of course not instead of top tier moves, but certainly would be a good alternative for some players at League 1 level, and even some championship teams. It's just a bit less of a slog, which might suit some more technical players and let them develop their talents a little more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Was there 4rumour of byrne going to the mls? It would be great for him. I live in ontario and support Toronto so watch a fair bit. All teams play a decent brand of football with heavy influence from central and south america. Conditions are always pristine. Worst thing he would have to deal with is the heat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

On the topic of Jack Byrne and players going to the MLS, not sure how I'd feel about him going over there. Part of me thinks he would still be a bit out of mind playing over there as I'd say your average fan follows very little of the MLS and it could be hard to judge the standard compared to Europe (it's probably higher standard than I'm giving it credit, but that's the perception). I'd prefer him to stay in Europe but doesn't have to be England. Sugarman is spot on about his championship options, much rather he avoided those clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Honestly think he’d be better off staying at Rovers than heading to the MLS. Out of sight out of mind over there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Honestly think he’d be better off staying at Rovers than heading to the MLS. Out of sight out of mind over there.

He has to look after himself though. Not sure what his wages are at Rovers but I would assume somewhere between 2 and 4 gs a week. Players need to earn as much as possible in their (relatively) short careers.

I think Anderlecht was a good move for Cullen. I would certainly rather see him there than Charlton or bech warming. Other players might (like Byrne) could do well further afield like Russia, France, Holland, Turkey etc.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    He has to look after himself though. Not sure what his wages are at Rovers but I would assume somewhere between 2 and 4 gs a week. Players need to earn as much as possible in their (relatively) short careers.

I think Anderlecht was a good move for Cullen. I would certainly rather see him there than Charlton or bech warming. Other players might (like Byrne) could do well further afield like Russia, France, Holland, Turkey etc.

I'd be surprised if it was that much

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if it was that much

Really? He is most likely the top paid player in the league and I have heard a few times how great the deal he got at Rovers is.
    He would almost definitely be close to 2k??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Would a move to the likes of St. Mirren be any benefit to Jack Byrne. They won again today and seemed to have turned the corner. A few Irish lads there and managed by Waterford man Jim Goodwin.

Similar situation with Rochdale although he’d be going back to League 1 and they mightn’t afford his 800k valuation.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd certainly be avoiding Forrest with Hughton in charge, hadn't any time for a player like Wes in his team. Won't have any time for Byrne. Nor would his playing style suit them.

He started 28 games on Hughtons first season. Whatever happened the following season though is another matter. He handed in a transfer request so he could head to villa so I don't think it's all on Hughton

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think you can add Seani onto that list of Preston players, they are just signing them in hope. I think Jack Byrne good enough yo be signing for a team playing in Europe on the continent like in Switzerland or the Netherlands. Hopefully he stays here and Rovers push on in Europe.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I think you can add Seani onto that list of Preston players, they are just signing them in hope. I think Jack Byrne good enough yo be signing for a team playing in Europe on the continent like in Switzerland or the Netherlands. Hopefully he stays here and Rovers push on in Europe.

As a Rovers fan I hope he stays, but as an Ireland fan I hope he goes because I think he genuinely could be one of the national teams best and most influential players if he was consistently playing at a high level and had a spot in the starting eleven. Definitely the most talented player I've seen in the LOI apart from maybe Paddy McCourt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Parrot going to struggle to get goals if Millwall play the way they do.

From what I read on twitter from Millwall fans is that he does look sharp and good but either getting no service or played out wide.

Looks lost last few games,

Patrick Finn came on for last few minutes for Getafe yesterday. Nearly got a penalty alone.

Must be rated, just hope he picks us. Why play for Spain anyway ahem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Parrot going to struggle to get goals if Millwall play the way they do.

From what I read on twitter from Millwall fans is that he does look sharp and good but either getting no service or played out wide.

Looks lost last few games,

Patrick Finn came on for last few minutes for Getafe yesterday. Nearly got a penalty alone.

Must be rated, just hope he picks us. Why play for Spain anyway ahem.
    Thought his name was John Joe ?

Thought his name was John Joe ?

Patrick Finn would be his last name, I think, but goes as John Patrick.

Interview with him on Getafe website. He could obviously end up playing non league, but if he does manage to make it at international level then we could find ourselves even behind Cameroon going by comments in the interview. No mention of the father in the interview, only his mother.
    He made his debut with the first team, a joy for a youth squad who at the age of seventeen has seen one of his dreams come true. However, for John Patrick the most important thing right now, apart from the illusion that it is to be able to be at Bordalás' disposal, is that the Division of Honor, a team in which he usually plays, although he has a record with the National League, continues to add points and standing at the top of the table

“I lived it very well, I am very happy for the debut, for the opportunity that the coach gives me, the coaching staff despite the result of the match that was adverse, but very happy. If the coach is counting on me with my work and effort, I will keep trying to fight. When I went to jump onto the pitch, the first flash that came to me was the illusion that I was going to do to my mother, who would be very happy watching the game surely, and then she told me that she even cried ”.
    Jhon Patrick's first minutes with the first team, but then the next day he returned to the Division of Honor. Juvenil A faced Burgos and got the three points, important for the azulones, “it is important to have high spirits again, it is important to win away from home again, because lately it is costing us, we lost in Pinto, opposite to Santa Marta, and this weekend is a very important game, which we have to win and keep up and fight for what we want ”, explained the footballer about the match against Burgos,“ the first fifteen minutes we were very involved in match, we scored two goals and then it is true that we relaxed a little and let them create chances, but I think this is the way to go and if we go out all the games like this we can win them all ”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

His father supposedly passed away in recent years.

We don't know where he stands on his international future, it could be that he'd be happy to represent either one. Could be closer to Ireland having lived here as a child and the loss of of his father, could be Cameroon because of his closeness to his mother. We just don't know, I'm sure he'll be on the radar for an u19 or even an u21 call up if he continues to progress anyway.

Obafemi had the choice of Ireland, England or Nigeria and chose Ireland despite having little connection to us other than being born here to Nigerian parents and then moving to the UK as a toddler. Could have easily chosen Nigeria, but he didn't.

What’s the story with Obafemi these days? Doesn’t seem to be even making match day squads at Southampton lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We don't know where he stands on his international future, it could be that he'd be happy to represent either one. Could be closer to Ireland having lived here as a child and the loss of of his father, could be Cameroon because of his closeness to his mother. We just don't know, I'm sure he'll be on the radar for an u19 or even an u21 call up if he continues to progress anyway.

Obafemi had the choice of Ireland, England or Nigeria and chose Ireland despite having little connection to us other than being born here to Nigerian parents and then moving to the UK as a toddler. Could have easily chosen Nigeria, but he didn't.

Could still easily choose Nigeria with the new rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Duffy back starting and scoring for Celtic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Regarding John Finn, transfermarkt have his citizenship down as England and Spain. Given he was born in Madrid I’d say his chances of lining out in the green are slim to none.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/john-finn/profil/spieler/841121

Regarding John Finn, transfermarkt have his citizenship down as England and Spain. Given he was born in Madrid I’d say his chances of lining out in the green are slim to none.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/john-finn/profil/spieler/841121

They've also made him older than he is. Born September 2003 rather than October 2002. Transfermarkt can be dodge when it comes to young players.

I've only seen that mentioned on YBIG, so would take that with a massive pinch of salt. But also adds more questions that if his father has passed away that there's no mention of him in an interview about his debut.

Visited rather than lived here from interviews I've read in older articles, and if the father isn't around I'd assume they separated rather than he died if there's no mention of it anywhere bar YBIG.

While Obafemi had choices, maybe we were the only ones that showed interest so he didn't really have much choices to make. Maybe he thought playing for a country closer to where he's based is better for his club career, something I've thought is the reason. Ogbene always talked about Nigeria, even turned Ireland down until he became clear Nigeria weren't calling.

fullstop wrote: »
    What’s the story with Obafemi these days? Doesn’t seem to be even making match day squads at Southampton lately.

Hopefully he'll go out on loan in January. Walcott joining totally scuppered any real chance of game-time really.

In general the Premier League is an awful place for young strikers. Very very few of them around. Greenwood, Connolly (who himself is playing a lot less), and Brewster (only getting the odd few minutes despite being a 20m buy) are about all there is in teams most weeks.

The Championship seems much the better place for young strikers to get game-time and chances to grow and improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Back with the u23s.

Hasenhuttl had this to say the other week for the reason behind Obafemi's recent absence from the squad

Seems a bit lazy / complacent at times, on top of what his manager had to say earlier in the year about him "lacking professionalism" in relation to his shape/diet if I recall?

I've watched each of the last 3 Ireland u21s games hes played in and he hasnt been great at all. First touch was awful, kept letting him down when he was picked out in good areas he made runs into. He also looked to be carrying a bit of extra timber.

My point was he still chose Ireland and was capped competitively when it did tie him down.

Under the new rules he only has 6 months left to switch before he turns 21.

He never seemed to have control of the ball even when he was getting chances at Southampton. He has pace and predatory instincts and that's about it. Technically he's not good enough for the PL. Even in the Championship he'd struggle.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

Hopefully he'll go out on loan in January. Walcott joining totally scuppered any real chance of game-time really.

Given the comments about Obafemi from Hasenhüttl I can't see Obafemi going anywhere on loan. I'd say Hasenhüttl would prefer to keep him at the club to keep an eye on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

Given the comments about Obafemi from Hasenhüttl I can't see Obafemi going anywhere on loan. I'd say Hasenhüttl would prefer to keep him at the club to keep an eye on him.

He could probably do with going somewhere to get first team football. Gain a bit of experience and mature a bit. Staying at Southampton not being near the first team isn't going to benefit him much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

In general the Premier League is an awful place for young strikers. Very very few of them around. Greenwood, Connolly (who himself is playing a lot less), and Brewster (only getting the odd few minutes despite being a 20m buy) are about all there is in teams most weeks.

The Championship seems much the better place for young strikers to get game-time and chances to grow and improve.

Che Adams finding form was also a nightmare for him ,

• Advertisement

Dara O'Shea getting rave reviews from last night's game against Man City. To think he only made his league debut for West Brom this time last year, Dec 21st and then didn't play again until late Jan where he was their first choice RB.

Strong rumours though that Bilic is to be replaced by big Sam, and you imagine he'll be given money to spend in Jan.

Edit: Bilic gets the sack.

Some of those first touches were a bit ropey really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

What's happened to James McCarthy? Since his father passed away and he pulled out of the Ireland team, I've not seen him in the Palace squad at all.

John Joe Patrick Finn starts for them anyway

https://twitter.com/GetafeCF/status/1339621168953876480

Unfortunately the pitch is in shocking condition, like I've seen Finn Harps pitch in winter time in better conditions. So anyone looking to catch the managers eye for the league games are in for a long night.

• Advertisement

Looks like he played the entire game. The manager had this to say about him at the end.

"Patrick is a very young boy who has to improve and learn. Today he was good, his teammates have helped him"

If he continues to get game time in the senior team, it's surely only a matter of time until he gets a call-up to the Spanish under-18's?

Such a shame McGoldrick retired from the national team, he was fantastic against Man U tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Is Gavin Bazuna injured or returned to Man City?

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Is Gavin Bazuna injured or returned to Man City?

Probably still injured. Got injured while with the U21s.

Such a shame McGoldrick retired from the national team, he was fantastic against Man U tonight.

Hopefully Kenny can have a phone call with him before March to see if he'd be willing to come back for one last campaign.

I'm all for looking towards the future and moving lads on who'll be retiring after this campaign or the wrong side of 30 , but what he brings to the team in the attacking third, being able to hold the ball up and bring others into the game is too valuable. Especially if we want our midfield to be anyway effective.

It's no coincidence that the best game we played so far under Kenny was Slovakia, the one game McGoldrick started and played 112 mins.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement