Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Hopefully Kenny can have a phone call with him before March to see if he'd be willing to come back for one last campaign.

I'm all for looking towards the future and moving lads on who'll be retiring after this campaign or the wrong side of 30 , but what he brings to the team in the attacking third, being able to hold the ball up and bring others into the game is too valuable. Especially if we want our midfield to be anyway effective.

It's no coincidence that the best game we played so far under Kenny was Slovakia, the one game McGoldrick started and played 112 mins.

I agree completely. The young lads aren’t at the required level yet.

Get him back for the competitive games. Leave him out of friendlies and whip him off against the lesser teams when we have a good lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Danny Grant gone from Bohs to Huddersfield. Weren't they supposed to be interested on Jack Byrne as well?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would be disappointed to see Jack Byrne in the english championship. Think he has alot to offer a team in a top division that can play in europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I would be disappointed to see Jack Byrne in the english championship. Think he has alot to offer a team in a top division that can play in europe

The Championships in the top 10 richest league's in Europe with a defined path into the richest one.
    Realistically PSG, Bayern or Sporting aren't coming for him and he could end up being forgotten about picking the wrong move to Belgium or Holland.
    So a solid championship club going in the right direction would be a good move for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    I agree completely. The young lads aren’t at the required level yet.

Get him back for the competitive games. Leave him out of friendlies and whip him off against the lesser teams when we have a good lead.
    Poor fúcker would never get a rest in this case!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Out of all the championship clubs he's linked to I think Bournemouth would be the best fit, I think they have a decent shot at promotion this season and Tindall isn't afraid to give players a chance, I think if Byrne went to Preston or Stoke it would be a bad move as I don't think the set up there would suit him,

Any word on how much the transfer fee was for Grant?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The Championships in the top 10 richest league's in Europe with a defined path into the richest one.

Doesn't concern me how wealthy it is. We have enough championship players and they are not really shining on the international stage. I would much rather see him playing top level in Germany, France, Netherlands etc rather than the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Connolly misses a total sitter. Has so much promise but really needs to be scoring, especially when they’re as easy as that was. He won’t stay in the Brighton team

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

No chance he’ll go premier league he’s miles off that level, the over rating of Jack is insane

Soups123 wrote: »
    No chance he’ll go premier league he’s miles off that level, the over rating of Jack is insane

I never mentioned the premier league

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I never mentioned the premier league
    Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Soups123 wrote: »

Apologies I read that wrong thought you where suggesting a premier team playing in Europe

Doesn't concern me how wealthy it is. We have enough championship players and they are not really shining on the international stage. I would much rather see him playing top level in Germany, France, Netherlands etc rather than the championship.

Good for you, Byrne on the other hand has been earning pretty much the average industrial wage for the past 2 years and will be looking for a move that makes financial sense.
    The reason our championship players aren't shining for the international side is because they are poor players in and out of championship sides.

A chance at a decent championship club along the lines of Bournemouth would be ideal for Byrne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Good for you, Byrne on the other hand has been earning pretty much the average industrial wage for the past 2 years and will be looking for a move that makes financial sense.
    The reason our championship players aren't shining for the international side is because they are poor players in and out of championship sides.

A chance at a decent championship club along the lines of Bournemouth would be ideal for Byrne.

If he could get in the team there, they'd be a good option alright. They've decent attackers like Brooks, Solanke, Surridge, and King to work with, could be a good partnership there. Might be hard to displace fellas like Billing, Cook, Stanislas and Lerma though... all established lads who have a lot of premier league experience.

They're also almost doing too well in the league, in that they're in 2nd, and are the league's top scorers, so they might be reluctant to change up the team. He might perhaps be better off going to a team that need him more. Someone like Watford or Swansea maybe, who are defensively sound with decent forward options, but not quite scoring enough.

I think people really need to temper their expectations around Byrne. The last League of Ireland player who did what he did (Richie Towell) is now playing 4th tier football in England. I really struggle to see how Byrne is so much better than Towell that he should be playing for a top European club in Europe.

I think if Byrne gets the right club, a move to the championship should work out well. I've been watching a few games this season and have to admit the quality is definitely higher than what it has been in the past. Nearly all the top half teams are playing a passing, possession-based game and there's very little long ball. It's the sort of style we are trying to play at international level, and it should suit Byrne. Even Derby County, who are a bit of a mess at the moment in the relegation zone are at least trying to play a decent brand of football. A struggling team that at least have a good philosophy might be a good place where he could get a chance to play games and have an impact.

I think people really need to temper their expectations around Byrne. The last League of Ireland player who did what he did (Richie Towell) is now playing 4th tier football in England. I really struggle to see how Byrne is so much better than Towell that he should be playing for a top European club in Europe.

Exactly. Byrnes 25 in a few months. He picked up his first senior cap nearly 18 months ago so he's surely been on the radar of championship clubs and even a few on the continent.
    There was no great frenzy and none felt he was worth making a serious offer for while he was under contract at Shams.

Some are expecting a Jamie Vardy career from Byrne. I'd be happy with a Keith Fahy one where he leaves the League in his mid 20s and eeks out a solid few years at Championship level and even a bit of EPL football.

My biggest concern with Bournemouth is that they might get promoted. If they went up to the EPL JB might find himself surplus to requirements in a team that has to switch by neccesity to he more defensive than they are at the moment. That is why I would prefer a move to a top tier of one of the secondary leagues in Europe (Dutch, Belgian etc) as this would allow him to focus for a number of years on 1 club. His history shows that where he has a bit of stability he does well.

You regularly see Richie Towell quoted on here but there have been several league of Ireland players moved over to the UK and made a decent career for themselves since then, I think Seanie Maguire was the last high profile LOI player to get transfer to the championship and he's playing regularly for Preston

sugarman wrote: »
    Towell wasnt wanted by Hughton at Brighton, was a board signing with little risk given he was a free transfer on relatively little wages.

He was excellent when on loan at Rotherham and was pivitol in their promotion from League One in his first season there and held his own in the Championship the following season. Was easily their best player as they were narrowly relegated.

They wanted to sign him on a free and he'd have played week in/out in League One that season, in the end winning promotion again and thus back in the Championship where they still are now.. but it was down to wages and contracts.

He signed with Salford purely for money, not because there weren't any offers elsewhere. They were able to double his wages and give him lengthy contract. He could still be bouncing between the Championship and League One, but there was little incentive to do so.

I feel Byrne is different, he's more in it for the football and still has international ambitions. He knows his next move is vital for his career progression.

He has options on the table, he could go for the money and lifestyle to the MLS, he could go to Cyprus with Mick and possibly win a title/cup and play in Europe, he could go to a poor League One/Championship team and either not play much or not fit their style of play, he can stay in Ireland and not progress OR he could go somewhere like Belgium as Cullen did or back to Netherlands were he already showed he can play.

I think theres going to be 2 choices, the later, if there are offers ...or he'll take a chance in the Championship with one of the rumored clubs and if it doesnt work out he'll just move back home again.

Yeah I think it's unfair how Towell is regularly bandied about as a poster boy for League of Ireland players who "failed" to make it at a higher level all the while ignoring the fact that many of our best players of recent years have started their careers in this league, players like Séamus Coleman, Enda Stevens, Matt Doherty, Wes Houlihan and many more, people seem to forget where they started out,
    Byrne is easily one of the best players to come out of this league in recent times and has the potential to be up there as one of our best players, people just need to take their anti LOI blinkers off and maybe get behind him rather than knock the fact that he's "just another league of Ireland" player

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Dr. Colossus

It's good to see Robbie Brady getting regular starts for Burnley hopefully he can get back his 2016 form.

Watching Getafe, Patrick came on after 57 minutes. Not had too many touches yet, but I am taken back by his size. Only just turned 17 and he looks the tallest player on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Tbf I cant really blame him if he does not want pick us.

Like I hope he does of course as kid seems gave great potential, but he may feel a connection to the other countries mentioned but hopefully he will lead us to World Cuo glory in 2030;)

If he has a chance of playing with Spain you couldn't really blame him if that was the option he chose.

I hope I am wrong, but I was particularly impressed with my first viewing of John Patrick.

Perhaps he never really tested himself, but I had no impression that he was particularly quick. He had 2 ok chances to run at defenders playing wide right, neither time did he have the speed to go past them.

I was also a bit disappointed at a few of his first touches. Perhaps it was expecting too much, but he appeared a little heavy in possession. Perhaps more game time will help with that.

With all that said, he's still very young and it would be ridiculous to write him off, but those were my initial impressions. I do understand it's hard to come off the bench and make an impression, even at the best of times.

I noticed Getafe had a lot of players booked who will miss the next game against Atletico. It will be interesting to see if John Patrick gets a debut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

No surprise another stunning goal from Alan Browne in the 97th minute to beat Derby.

His contract is up shortly and fans are mad for him to renew it. I think he’d be a great buy for the likes of Leeds.

https://twitter.com/pnehomeandaway/status/1342890805179121665?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,943 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Enjoyed the Jack Chalton documentary

Paul Mcgrath with drink must of of been hell. He was basically locked in a hotel room at one point

PTH2009 wrote: »
    He was basically locked in a hotel room at one point

Not sure if you mean drunk or detained...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Paul Mcgrath with drink must of of been hell. He was basically locked in a hotel room at one point

I thought it was heart-breaking, but brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,943 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Not sure if you mean drunk or detained...

He was basically detained Security blocking the door of his hotel room so he wouldn't go out

Forgot what match we were playing

He was basically detained Security blocking the door of his hotel room so he wouldn't go out

Forgot what match we were playing

Think the most bizarre McGrath story was the time the FAI used to drive him from the airport to the team hotel to ensure he didn't get waylaid. One day the car was stopped at red lights. McGrath waited and just as the lights turned green he jumped out, knowing that the car couldn't stop in the middle of traffic moving on. That's addiction...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

No surprise another stunning goal from Alan Browne in the 97th minute to beat Derby.

His contract is up shortly and fans are mad for him to renew it. I think he’d be a great buy for the likes of Leeds.

https://twitter.com/pnehomeandaway/status/1342890805179121665?s=21

There'll be a few clubs after Browne, especially as it looks like he'll walk on a free transfer. His versatility is a plus that he's played RB, RM and has played the 6, 8 and 10 roles in midfield for Preston.

Just hope he doesn't go for the club that offers him the most money and picks a club he feels best suits him. He's 26 next April and he's one of Prestons top earners on 8.5k supposedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Was this on RTE?

Cullen has apparently had his best game in an Anderlecht shirt so far. He's been playing in a defensive midfield role for them, which is probably a good thing for us. Other than McCarthy, we don't have too many players who play that position naturally so having some competition will be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Nah it was supposed to be a cinematic release followed by home media but due to Covid it was released on streaming services and home media from the get go.

Where can I watch it? Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Still Ill wrote: »
    Where can I watch it? Cheers

Amazon have it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Apparently Jack "the messiah" Byrne could be linking up with Mick McCarthy in Cyprus/Greece or wherever he landed

Apparently Jack "the messiah" Byrne could be linking up with Mick McCarthy in Cyprus/Greece or wherever he landed

There’s an obvious upside of Mick giving him a shot, but I’m never sure it’s a good idea to follow a manager as the driving force of a move. it’s grand in the short term, but there’s a high likelihood Mick doesn’t last more than a year or two (or less), and then he’s a bit stranded in Cyprus. Whereas with a more normal move you have a scouting department, director of football etc backing up the transfer, even if the manager goes at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭pgj2015

ye are all very glass half empty aren't ye. He could have a great year, tear it up over there and then you will have other bigger clubs coming in for him. There is as much a chance of that happening as mick being fired after a year and jack being surplus to requirements. he is a good player.

everyone was laughing at Grealish a few years ago when he decided to switch to England and look how that turned out.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    ye are all very glass half empty aren't ye. He could have a great year, tear it up over there and then you will have other bigger clubs coming in for him. There is as much a chance of that happening as mick being fired after a year and jack being surplus to requirements. he is a good player.

everyone was laughing at Grealish a few years ago when he decided to switch to England and look how that turned out.

Very true, and that could very well happen!

I suppose my bigger point is - if Mick wasn't their manager, would he still go there? If he would, then that's great, and this is the right thing to do. But if he wouldn't, then it mightn't be the best move.

Managerial contracts are too flimsy to be the overriding motivation in going somewhere.

John Patrick got another cameo off the bench for Getafe against Atletico Madrid. He played in a central midfield role which according to my untrained eye looks a more natural position for him than as a winger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Patrick Bamford is having a great season with Leeds. I didn't know he played underage with Ireland. It seems he rejected approaches from Mick McCarthy.

He might change his mind if he doesn't get picked for England despite his form this season.

Zico wrote: »
    Patrick Bamford is having a great season with Leeds. I didn't know he played underage with Ireland. It seems he rejected approaches from Mick McCarthy.

He might change his mind if he doesn't get picked for England despite his form this season.
    Let it go. There's more chance of me getting a call up than bamford at this stage. By all accounts he's rejected us for the last five years, not a hope he will accept being capped for us now he's on the cusp of the England squad.

By all accounts he was approached for years while in the championship and he said no he wanted to play for england now that he's performing in the prem there's no way he changes his mind

By all accounts he was approached for years while in the championship and he said no he wanted to play for england now that he's performing in the prem there's no way he changes his mind

Nah, he was a lot less definitive than that when he was in the championship - he said he was just coming back from a serious injury, and though Mick had approached him, he wasn't going to think about international football until he was back fit and playing for his club regularly again. He also said he wasn't closing any doors. (Mick himself had actually already jumped the gun a few months before that, saying Bamford would be joining Ireland.)

Then, just a few weeks ago, he was asked about a potential England call up, and said that would be a dream alright.

I don't really have a problem with any of that tbh, it's entirely possible to feel connected to two countries (and he very obviously does feel connected to Ireland), and to have a preference while still not being some turn coat or something. As long as you're honest and clear, I'm grand with all that, which he has been. I've no problem with Graelish doing what he did - even if he dawdled a bit longer than I'd have liked - it's a big decision for a young player with dual citizenship and heritage to make, and I'd rather them be sure. I do have a problem with Rice though who did firmly declare, and play, and then backed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

To be fair he played 1 single U18 game with us. It is not like he played with us for any extended period.

Bamford is one of my favourite players. I like his phenomenal workrate, his willingness to track back to his own goal line, his close control, his calm almost unhurried style. And he is a model pro - well educated, articulate, plays the violin, doesn't go for tattoos and hairstylists.

But for Ireland? No. He's made his decision, there should be no grovelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Bamford is one of my favourite players. I like his phenomenal workrate, his willingness to track back to his own goal line, his close control, his calm almost unhurried style. And he is a model pro - well educated, articulate, plays the violin, doesn't go for tattoos and hairstylists.

But for Ireland? No. He's made his decision, there should be no grovelling.

What's wrong with people having tattoos 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

As expected, Jack Byrne has confirmed on social media there that he has left Shamrock Rovers and will announce a decision on his future in the coming days.

I thought from here, he had signed for APOEL?

Guffy wrote: »
    I thought from here, he had signed for APOEL?

Not yet. I assume contracts/medical in progress

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

I guess its progression moving from the 39th ranked league up to the 28th but they're struggling this year so doubtful he'll be able to showcase himself outside that league in the Europa league next year.

Bit of sun I guess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement