Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Randolph a late starter for WH

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭AhhHere

Knight starts again for Derby. On Sky Sports. Keith Andrews shown wearing a Dublin Gaa hat to keep warm in the commentary box. Not relevant but felt a bit like TV crossover episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Guffy wrote: »
    I thought from here, he had signed for APOEL?

He’s coming to Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Guffy wrote: »
    I thought from here, he had signed for APOEL?

He’s coming to Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Darren Randolph with a clean sheet tonight for West Ham. He was only starting as Fabianski got injured in the warm up.

Delighted for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Doherty gets a start for Spurs today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

fullstop wrote: »
    Doherty gets a start for Spurs today.

Sent off at the end with them 3-0 up, didn't see the incident but not great as he was on a yellow already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Sent off at the end with them 3-0 up, didn't see the incident but not great as he was on a yellow already.

The look Jose gave him after suggests he will be warming the bench again for some time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

fullstop wrote: »
    The look Jose gave him after suggests he will be warming the bench again for some time

https://twitter.com/tanyathfc/status/1345379526101053440

He's an idiot. You regain your place in the team after losing it because of Covid, and then you get yourself sent off for a second yellow card while 3-0 up in added time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

https://twitter.com/tanyathfc/status/1345379526101053440

He's an idiot. You regain your place in the team after losing it because of Covid, and then you get yourself sent off for a second yellow card while 3-0 up in added time.

He was lucky he wasn't sent off sooner! Had a few tackles he should've been booked for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭pgj2015

players get sent off, big deal. you cant please mouninho anyway, I dont know why anyone wants to join a team he is managing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

pgj2015 wrote: »
    players get sent off, big deal. you cant please mouninho anyway, I dont know why anyone wants to join a team he is managing.

Probably has something to do with him being one of the most decorated managers in history.

Probably has something to do with him being one of the most decorated managers in history.

he still seems like a horrible manager to play under. His glory days are well over in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Connolly starts for Brighton. Let's hope he takes his chance tonight.

Connolly starts for Brighton. Let's hope he takes his chance tonight.

Goal! Nice finish from a Trossard cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Connolly scores.

Decent overhead attempt from Connolly there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

henke wrote: »
    Connolly scores.

Cracking acrobatic shot a second ago too - well saved, but really impressive effort!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

pgj2015 wrote: »
    he still seems like a horrible manager to play under. His glory days are well over in my opinion.

Its hard to know, Mourinho likes the media and public to hate him. It`s all part of a siege mentality. The papers then run with that narrative and thats the only story the public gets.
    I suspect he`s different around players and far more likeable.

For all the praise Pochettino got there he didn`t win anything. I`d be surprised if Mourinho left without even one of the lesser cups. Which would be more than acceptable at a win nothing club like Spurs. Even a league cup would make him their most successful manager in a decade!

His record at United looks better with every season that passes. A runner up spot and a European trophy. They`d have taken that as a good season over the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

COnnolly, off, hammy I think

• Advertisement

Its hard to know, Mourinho likes the media and public to hate him. It`s all part of a siege mentality. The papers then run with that narrative and thats the only story the public gets.
    I suspect he`s different around players and far more likeable.

For all the praise Pochettino got there he didn`t win anything. I`d be surprised if Mourinho left without even one of the lesser cups. Which would be more than acceptable at a win nothing club like Spurs. Even a league cup would make him their most successful manager in a decade!

His record at United looks better with every season that passes. A runner up spot and a European trophy. They`d have taken that as a good season over the last few years.

https://talksport.com/football/778472/chelsea-andre-schurrle-jose-mourinho/

Was about to sing Nathan Collins' praise for Stoke tonight. Big, strong, tough tackling but can pass a ball out of central defence too. Unfortunately he made one mistake that led to a Bournemouth goal. Still only 19 though.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    There’s an obvious upside of Mick giving him a shot, but I’m never sure it’s a good idea to follow a manager as the driving force of a move. it’s grand in the short term, but there’s a high likelihood Mick doesn’t last more than a year or two (or less), and then he’s a bit stranded in Cyprus. Whereas with a more normal move you have a scouting department, director of football etc backing up the transfer, even if the manager goes at some stage.
    Two defeats by teams in the relegation zone for APOEL. He could potentially be gone Monday given APOEL's record of sacking managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Two defeats by teams in the relegation zone for APOEL. He could potentially be gone Monday given APOEL's record of sacking managers.

Lost at home to the bottom te today. No deal confirmed yet so maybe it wont go through. I'd imagine he'll have a few alternative options if Mick was gone soon

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

He's taking his time if it's APOEL, I imagine he left Cyprus and is speaking to other teams.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Strange thought this early in the season, but I think we can say with reasonable confidence that WBA and Sheffield Utd will go down. That's a fair few Irish lads back to the Championship which is a bummer. But I was wondering, of the aforementioned bunch, who do you think might get a Premier League move and where do you think might be a realistic destination?

Off the top of my head I would be surprised if John Egan hadn't done enough to show he has ability at this level. I think he'd suit a Palace or a Burnley type team.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

population wrote: »
    Strange thought this early in the season, but I think we can say with reasonable confidence that WBA and Sheffield Utd will go down. That's a fair few Irish lads back to the Championship which is a bummer. But I was wondering, of the aforementioned bunch, who do you think might get a Premier League move and where do you think might be a realistic destination?

Off the top of my head I would be surprised if John Egan hadn't done enough to show he has ability at this level. I think he'd suit a Palace or a Burnley type team.

Any thoughts?

Yeah I'd agree that Egan is the one who you'd imagine could get a move to another PL team. The clubs you mentioned, Newcastle or a newly promoted team would be happy to bring him in you would think.

O'Shea will be a PL player down the line but I'd say he will stick with West Brom if they go down. Robinson I feel is a guy who is always going to yoyo between good Championship teams and bad PL teams.

McGoldrick too old to get a move back and Stevens I think will stay at Sheff Utd despite being one of the best wing backs in the league last year.

Yeah Egan and O'Shea would be the two that you could see having interest from Premier League clubs in the summer for definite, especially those that play with three at the back. Also can't forget about the likes of Bournemouth and Swansea who could get promoted and both play with three at the back.

Egan I think will stick it out with United for another season. They'll fancy themselves for promotion again next season and he'll have three years left on his contract so could take big bucks to convince Sheffield United to sell. Especially when you consider that Jack Connell will only have two years left on his contract and Basham will be 33 with a year left on his contract.

Could see big interest in O'Shea, especially given his age and versatility. Like it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that a big club could view O'Shea as a long term option and look to loan him out to lower teams in the league for a couple of seasons. If he comes good he comes good, and if not they could still sell him for a profit the way the transfer market in England is.

Stevens imo could have interest from teams in the PL,
    especially with the form he showed last year. But his age, and the fact he's too important for United kills off the chances of him staying in the league. Nobodies gonna overpay for a 32 year old defender whose a shadow of himself compared to last season.

Thought Robinson was still on loan at West Brom but seems like he signed permanently and is contracted until 2025. West Brom are his level, a team that's either a top championship club or a lower tier Premier League club. But you'd rather see him playing in a team that's more attacking given how West Brom have set up in the league so far.

Won't include McGoldrick as he's already retired from international football, but there's a few others who could be on the move in the summer also. Alan Browne, Conor Hourihane and Robbie Brady are all out of contract in the summer.

population wrote: »
    I would be surprised if Egan or anyone else in the Sheffield United squad ended up back in the Premier League. Defensively Egan is one of the better players of a bad bunch, but that entire squad is going to be tainted by this season. Even though he'd be best suited to the likes of Palace or Newcastle, surely both clubs would feel they could do better. Burnley have no money, but I fail to see them pumping for Egan when they have Mee (well loved club captain) and Tarkowski (on the fringes of the England team). When you look at the Championship, the teams leading the race there (Norwich, Bournemouth, Swansea, etc.) are all proper balling playing teams who generally only sign younger players, I think it's unlikely they will be in the market for a technically limited 28 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Are Gary Lineker's trivia questions a new thing on MOTD?

I haven't watched it in a long while but there was a good one about the last Scottish player to score for Arsenal.

The obvious question that came to my mind then was who was the last Irishman to score for Arsenal?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭polarbearhead

Zico wrote: »

I haven't watched it in a long while but there was a good one about the last Scottish player to score for Arsenal.

The obvious question that came to my mind then was who was the last Irishman to score for Arsenal?

Has to be O'Leary. Don't think Stokes or Graham Barrett managed any

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Charlie Nicolas and Anthony Stokes?

Eddie mcgoldrick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

sugarman wrote: »
    Yeah has to be, in the league anyway ..unless some obscure lad scored in a cup game since.

I though Conor Henderson might've but he didn't score in the league Cup game he played

Looks like Obafemi could be off to Swansea if the latest transfer rumors are to believed. Only has a year and a half left on his contract.

Burnley said to be interested in Knight too, but that would be an absoutely awful move IMO. He'd be much better where he is playing week in/out in a team that play through the middle rather than having it hoofed long over his head every game.

If all the rumours are to be believed it could be more than a loan move which sees him leave Southampton.

Burnleys takeover (US firm) was finalised during the week so they'll be splashing some cash this transfer window, but Derby themselves are in the process of a takeover (Abu Dhabi sheikh).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Swansea would be a very good move for Obafemi.

Looks like Obafemi could be off to Swansea if the latest transfer rumors are to believed.

Burnley said to be interested in Knight too, but that would be an absoutely awful move IMO. He'd be much better where he is playing week in/out in a team that play through the middle rather than having it hoofed long over his head every game.

Bit of a strange one.

Derby are facing relegation to League 1, Knight should take the offer from Burnley if it's there. Even as a squad player it's a move in the right direction when the club you're at are looking down.
    If they were pushing up the top I'd agree to stay but not based on where Derby are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Derby will be fine anyway. I hope Molumby gets his loan move too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Jack Byrne to APOEL confirmed

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Jack Byrne to APOEL confirmed

Poor move imo as I don't see Mick lasting there too much longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Poor move imo as I don't see Mick lasting there too much longer.

Agree, seems a strange one, they lost 2-0 at home on Saturday to the bottom club.

It would want to be a good contract, I see it's only two and a half years though.

Bit of a headscratcher but hopefully he does well and can nail down a starting position in the national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Agree, seems a strange one, they lost 2-0 at home on Saturday to the bottom club.

It would want to be a good contract, I see it's only two and a half years though.

Bit of a headscratcher but hopefully he does well and can nail down a starting position in the national team.

Surely a Championship side could do with Jack or is he really that poor ?

Weird one alright... I'm not sure that doing well there does all that much more to establish him in the National team than the LOI did. It's still a fair jump away from a proper top 10 league standard.

If he was going further afield I'd have preferred to see him in Holland, Belgium, Greece, Turkey etc.

But on the other side of things, it's a league he should excel in, and could be a good stepping stone to a better club in one of the above leagues, or back in England. And the length of his contract means that he'll probably be available for an attractive price after his first full season if he's done well.

So I see the merits to it - but I hope he's decided to move there on more than just Mick's presence. If he'd enjoy being there even with a different manager, then ultimately it can't be too bad a move regardless how it pans out. But if that one change would leave him feeling suddenly isolated and unhappy, then it's not a great position to be in.
    Surely a Championship side could do with Jack or is he really that poor ?

They definitely could - but he needs to pick a club for himself, rather than to be another option for the club.

He's had a shit time in England before, so he's better off making a move where he'll instantly be a central figure and can just focus on his game.

I admire him taking a more gradual and more professionally fulfilling path at this stage tbh. I think he could've gone one step higher and still been a standout player, but wtf do I know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    So I see the merits to it - but I hope he's decided to move there on more than just Mick's presence. If he'd enjoy being there even with a different manager, then ultimately it can't be too bad a move regardless how it pans out. But if that one change would leave him feeling suddenly isolated and unhappy, then it's not a great position to be in.

It's 21 degrees and sunny in Nicosia tbf :pac:

Yeah, you'd hope he has thought it out and won't be regretting it, if and when Mick gets the chop.

Either way it's not the usual and I'd prefer him to there than the LOI graveyard that is Preston for example :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

He multiplied his salary by 3 or 4 and plays in a more competitive league than the one he left.
    A couple of years there will put him more in the shop window and see where he ends up when he reaches his peak at 27/28.
    Not a bad move imo. Certainly a more attractive destination than somewhere like Blackburn.

Good luck to him. Nice to see Irish guys look past England and Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

Attractive because there'll be a bit of sun on his back but in terms of shop window I doubt theres too many scouts monitoring the Cyta Championship. The championship or league 1 would be an infinitely better career move. It's a good time Charlie move but good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

It seems to be a stopping off point for foreign players who bounce around different European leagues. If he were to impress there, it might open up a move to Greece or Turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

The fact we're closely monitoring a mid twenties player around the extreme lower echelons of European football is such a sad indictment of the state of the national side right now.

TheadoreT wrote: »
    The fact we're closely monitoring a mid twenties player around the extreme lower echelons of European football is such a sad indictment of the state of the national side right now.

He has a lot of potential though. who knows where he will end up. look at the Chelsea keeper for example.

Attractive because there'll be a bit of sun on his back but in terms of shop window I doubt theres too many scouts monitoring the Cyta Championship. The championship or league 1 would be an infinitely better career move. It's a good time Charlie move but good luck to him.

Wouldn't go anywhere near league 1 right now, the whole thing could be shuttered for the season at a moments notice, with clubs hemorrhaging money! Without crowds they're in dire straits.

As for the Championship - the right championship move turning out the right way would of course have been great, but the risks are far far higher, and given his past experiences in England I can entirely understand him being more cautious this time around.

He doesn't have the time to be stuck in a team that lumps the ball forward and doesn't make the most of his natural game. And in most cases, the Championship teams that actually would suit him would also be very competitive for places to get playing time, which is a situation I can see him being keen to avoid. Continental Europe is generally a better fit for his game.

As for scouts - depends on whose scouts you're talking about. Maybe Burnley and Rotherham don't pay much attention, but I'd imagine Olympiakos, Panathanaikos, Athens, PAOK etc have a fairly constant eye on it. Would imagine the Dutch, Turkish and Belgian leagues pay more attention to it than the English ones do too.

Part of what's particularly interesting about this for me at least, is that it could well be the beginning of a different type of career for Irish players. The English leagues approach over the past decade or so has led to us developing a very specific type of hard-slogging player. I'm interested to see what a more continental approach to our players growth might bring us. Would have to wonder where Jack's career might have gone if he'd built on his success in Cambuur and gone to another Dutch club instead of Wigan and Oldham etc. Cullen at Anderlecht is another very interesting one to watch.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement