Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Going to Celtic is like signing off on your career.

Can't believe Connell can't get chance with that muck around him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Most lads with their head screwed on knew Duffy to celtic was a horrific move from an Irish perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Most lads with their head screwed on knew Duffy to celtic was a horrific move from an Irish perspective

From memory most that predicted it would be a disaster felt it was going to be a step down for him and it would be too easy. The reality has been he has been awful, his lack of pace and poor reading of the game has caught him out.

His time at Celtic looked to have been up a few days ago but for the Covid cockup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's hardly just Duffy though, we've a lot of players who aren't showing much, or whose teams are in relegation battles. I am actually struggling to think of any players who are doing well at the moment.

At Premier League level it's been especially poor. Kelleher is on the up at Liverpool, but he's only ever going to be second choice. O'Shea has made the breakthrough at West Brom, but they're leaking goals like a sieve. Egan's one of the better Sheffield United performers, but they have been truly appalling this season. The one player I have been impressed with is Brady. He's been a huge part in dragging Burnley out of the relegation zone. Everyone else seems to either be not playing, or not performing to the level we'd hope for.

In the Championship, things aren't much better. Nathan Collins is on the up at Stoke, but we probably have players ahead of him in defence. Knight seems to be improving and has become a starter at Derby (albeit a struggling Derby). McClean solid as usual without standing out. James Collins at 6 goals for Luton is by far our standout goal scorer, but he's surely not good enough. Haven't seen Preston play, but Browne seems to be highly regarded there.

Putting all that together into a first 11 isn't easy. Randolph should naturally start. Doherty at right back is a given. Egan probably deserves to hang on, Stevens too at left back for lack of a better option. Probably a battle for Duffy to keep his place with O'Shea coming on. Midfield is tough, Hourihane, Hendrick and McCarthy have lost their places. Brady is the only player doing the business in this position at the top level, so he has to start. I think McCarthy is most important after that, vital he can start playing again, I feel. Maybe we go with Brady, Browne and McCarthy? The front three is a tougher ask again, we don't have anyone standing out there. McClean hasn't shone, but at least he's been consistently decent with Stoke. Knight has two goals for Derby, while he's young he's apparently a terrier to play against, so at least he won't go missing against Serbia. I have no idea who plays centre forward though. Robinson has 2 goals, Connolly has 1. I think it's probably got to be one of those to get the nod. Collins, Maguire, Hogan, Parrott seem to be a good bit off. I don't think it matters what way you split things, there's not one player with form who can play in our front three which is very worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Duff walking out on the team isn't a great look. But with no wins in 7 games, can you really blame him. Getting out now he has a chance of not being forever tainted with this disaster set-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Duff walking out on the team isn't a great look. But with no wins in 7 games, can you really blame him. Getting out now he has a chance of not being forever tainted with this disaster set-up.

It realllyy doesn't seem like that's why. Every indication is that he's pissed off at the FAI meddling rather than Kenny.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It's hardly just Duffy though, we've a lot of players who aren't showing much, or whose teams are in relegation battles. I am actually struggling to think of any players who are doing well at the moment.

At Premier League level it's been especially poor. Kelleher is on the up at Liverpool, but he's only ever going to be second choice. O'Shea has made the breakthrough at West Brom, but they're leaking goals like a sieve. Egan's one of the better Sheffield United performers, but they have been truly appalling this season. The one player I have been impressed with is Brady. He's been a huge part in dragging Burnley out of the relegation zone. Everyone else seems to either be not playing, or not performing to the level we'd hope for.

In the Championship, things aren't much better. Nathan Collins is on the up at Stoke, but we probably have players ahead of him in defence. Knight seems to be improving and has become a starter at Derby (albeit a struggling Derby). McClean solid as usual without standing out. James Collins at 6 goals for Luton is by far our standout goal scorer, but he's surely not good enough. Haven't seen Preston play, but Browne seems to be highly regarded there.

Putting all that together into a first 11 isn't easy. Randolph should naturally start. Doherty at right back is a given. Egan probably deserves to hang on, Stevens too at left back for lack of a better option. Probably a battle for Duffy to keep his place with O'Shea coming on. Midfield is tough, Hourihane, Hendrick and McCarthy have lost their places. Brady is the only player doing the business in this position at the top level, so he has to start. I think McCarthy is most important after that, vital he can start playing again, I feel. Maybe we go with Brady, Browne and McCarthy? The front three is a tougher ask again, we don't have anyone standing out there. McClean hasn't shone, but at least he's been consistently decent with Stoke. Knight has two goals for Derby, while he's young he's apparently a terrier to play against, so at least he won't go missing against Serbia. I have no idea who plays centre forward though. Robinson has 2 goals, Connolly has 1. I think it's probably got to be one of those to get the nod. Collins, Maguire, Hogan, Parrott seem to be a good bit off. I don't think it matters what way you split things, there's not one player with form who can play in our front three which is very worrying.

Cullen seems to be doing ok at Anderlecht. Might be worth a shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    It realllyy doesn't seem like that's why. Every indication is that he's pissed off at the FAI meddling rather than Kenny.

Why doesn't he say that then?

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭pgj2015

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Why doesn't he say that then?

He might want to work for the FAI at some stage down the road.

The poster who brought us "hire Atrocity league, get Atrocity league" is still clinging to Weldoninho's laughable theory that it's all down to Kenny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The poster who brought us "hire Atrocity league, get Atrocity league" is still clinging to Weldoninho's laughable theory that it's all down to Kenny.

Coz Kenny is doing so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Duffy really has put to bed the argument in here that Celtic would be a good move,
    Its an absolute terrible destination unless you a young kid and trying to break into the bigger leagues and have no other option ,

Duffy really has put to bed the argument in here that Celtic would be a good move,
    Its an absolute terrible destination unless you a young kid and trying to break into the bigger leagues and have no other option ,

it isnt a terrible move, he just didnt play well there, thats on him.

I wouldnt even want him on my LOI team at the moment, he is a liability.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    it isnt a terrible move, he just didnt play well there, thats on him.

I wouldnt even want him on my LOI team at the moment, he is a liability.

I don't get why some Irish fans have a burning need to defend Celtic and the Scottish league ,

Its a terrible place to go play if your not a kid trying to make it with limited options,

You would have been far better off playing at a higher standard in the Championship

The level of teams you play week in week out in Scotland is an absolute joke ,

I don't get why some Irish fans have a burning need to defend Celtic and the Scottish league ,

Its a terrible place to go play if your not a kid trying to make it with limited options,

You would have been far better off playing at a higher standard in the Championship

it isnt that bad, do you never watch it?

what about when you are playing in the europa league?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Coz Kenny is doing so well.

Mod: I appreciate you replied as you were named in the post replied to.

Other posters have made an effort to provide details of why they believe Duff left over the video situation and disagreement with the FAI, including providing sources.

With this in mind if you have further posts to add on the topic can you please provide something other than your own opinion to substantiate the suggestion Duff left over Kenny and performances or else leave it be.

Thank you.

Duffy isn't good enough for the Scottish league. He isn't the first, won't be the last. Joey Barton thought he'd stroll it too. Virgil Van Dijk, Moussa Dembele, Sun Ki-Yueng, Kieran Tierney, John McGinn, Stuart Armstrong, Andy Robertson, Stilyan Petrov and Henrik Larsson to name a few were good enough for Scottish football, and were able to make the step up to the tourist league.

Because of terms like 'Joke'? If we talk about the how quality is lower it causes a different reaction than words like that as people will naturally take issue with the work 'joke' rather than the substantive point (lower quality opponents).

Your post also highlights one of the issues is that posters were negative about Scottish football as it the football there would be the fundamental issue and his performances for Ireland would then regress as a result.

As it turns out, it is Duffy who has not played well in his own right for Celtic. It his his play for Celtic, his suitability to the club, his performances that see him struggling. Not the comparative lower quality of Scottish football opponents in general compared to other leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I don't get why some fans feel the need to tie themselves up in knots for a chance to have a go at Celtic.

How the fact that Duffy and some Irish youth players aren't up to it at Celtic an issue with Celtic or the Scottish league?

• Advertisement

pgj2015 wrote: »
    it isnt that bad, do you never watch it?

what about when you are playing in the europa league?

I have watched but as the years go by the standard has just got worse,

Ah yes who can forget glamour ties against Yong boys , Krasnodor , Crvena Zvezda , :D

Ok to be serious out of the 6 group games your likely to get 2 to 4 games against decent European clubs ( which is great) and likely not make the knockouts ,

I don't get the Europa league argument , you could play LOI and play Europa League does that make LOI better than the Championship ?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭hurlingman97

Duffy isn't good enough for the Scottish league. He isn't the first, won't be the last. Joey Barton thought he'd stroll it too. Virgil Van Dijk, Moussa Dembele, Sun Ki-Yueng, Kieran Tierney, John McGinn, Stuart Armstrong, Andy Robertson, Stilyan Petrov and Henrik Larsson to name a few were good enough for Scottish football, and were able to make the step up to the tourist league.

He is though, he's proven to be good enough in the pl aswell.
    He's not good enough to play in a team like Celtic who play a high line and play out from the back and try and dominate possession.
    If he was playing in a weaker team he would stand out, even if you put him in the west ham or West brom team he'd be comfortable because his job would be sit deep in a narrow back four, that's what he's good at and he's very good at it.

He is though, he's proven to be good enough in the pl aswell.
    He's not good enough to play in a team like Celtic who play a high line and play out from the back and try and dominate possession.
    If he was playing in a weaker team he would stand out, even if you put him in the west ham or West brom team he'd be comfortable because his job would be sit deep in a narrow back four, that's what he's good at and he's very good at it.

Where was the queue to sign him when Brighton were letting him go out on loan?? The only other club linked with him has been Nottingham Forest, 19th in the Championship. There's a reason for this.

All the players you mentioned where as I said young hungry payers looking to make a name for themselves and looking to get a move to the big leagues exactly what Scottish football is about ,

For a senor player moving from Premier league football to the Scottish league must tough due to the step down in all aspects , It can't be easy its clear as day Duffy has no interest in being there ,

Henrik (was a different time not worth comparison )

All the players you mentioned where as I said young hungry payers looking to make a name for themselves and looking to get a move to the big leagues exactly what Scottish football is about ,

For a senor player moving from Premier league football to the Scottish league must tough due to the step down in all aspects , It can't be easy its clear as day Duffy has no interest in being there ,

Henrik (was a different time not worth comparison )

He's no interest being at the club he's dreamed about playing for since he was a child? He's just not good enough.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Because of terms like 'Joke'? If we talk about the how quality is lower it causes a different reaction than words like that as people will naturally take issue with the work 'joke' rather than the substantive point (lower quality opponents).

Your post also highlights one of the issues is that posters were negative about Scottish football as it the football there would be the fundamental issue and his performances for Ireland would then regress as a result.

As it turns out, it is Duffy who has not played well in his own right for Celtic. It his his play for Celtic, his suitability to the club, his performances that see him struggling. Not the comparative lower quality of Scottish football opponents in general compared to other leagues.

Obviously Duffy has been completely below par we can't hide that ,

I also think its a case of getting dragged down to the level around you ,

Either way from the outset going to play for Celtic looked like a terrible move and many on here including myself thought that,

He was never going to improve at Celtic and that was my stance form day one,

Here's hoping when he turns up for Ireland he can find a performance or two

• Advertisement

He's no interest being at the club he's dreamed about playing for since he was a child? He's just not good enough.

Dreams and reality are two different things ,
    Either way its turned out to be an awful move which a lot on here thought back in the summer ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Dreams and reality are two different things ,
    Either way its turned out to be an awful move which a lot on here thought back in the summer ,

It turned out to be an awful move for entirely different reasons than what most on here were predicting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

It turned out to be an awful move for entirely different reasons than what most on here were predicting.

Many posters rightfully claimed that Duffy is incapable of playing in a 'football playing' team. He is simply dreadful with the ball at his feet. He suits a team that sit back but once Brighton started to transition to a footballing side then Duffy was left out and was never going to get back in.

Quite a few stated stated that he wouldn't fit into Celtic as they try to play football and play a high line. This has been proven to be spot on. Others did state that it was a step down in standard, this is also true. He has struggled because he can't play in a high line football playing defence, not because Celtic or the Scottish League is at too high a standard for him.

Obviously Duffy has been completely below par we can't hide that ,

I also think its a case of getting dragged down to the level around you ,

Either way from the outset going to play for Celtic looked like a terrible move and many on here including myself thought that,

He was never going to improve at Celtic and that was my stance form day one,

Here's hoping when he turns up for Ireland he can find a performance or two

I fully agree playing for Celtic was not going to improve him for sure. I am not sure any club was going to improve him much at this stage of his career. I think struggles are down to his limitations compared to his strengths and not related to Scottish Football.

The annoying thing in terms of the move is he started the first 12 games he was available for in all competitions as Jullien was out, so he had chances to play. As can often happen with a loan move, the clubs own players returning from injury saw them played ahead of the loan player filling in.

It is only loan thankfully so he is not committed long term but should Ajer or Jullien leave in this window then he may get more consistent game time again. If he can't get ahead of Bitton then he needs to getting out.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Many posters rightfully claimed that Duffy is incapable of playing in a 'football playing' team. He is simply dreadful with the ball at his feet. He suits a team that sit back but once Brighton started to transition to a footballing side then Duffy was left out and was never going to get back in.

Quite a few stated stated that he wouldn't fit into Celtic as they try to play football and play a high line. This has been proven to be spot on. Others did state that it was a step down in standard, this is also true. He has struggled because he can't play in a high line football playing defence, not because Celtic or the Scottish League is at too high a standard for him.

I'm sure there'll be teams queuing up for him at the end of the season then. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

DM_7 wrote: »
    I fully agree playing for Celtic was not going to improve him for sure. I am not sure any club was going to improve him much at this stage of his career. I think struggles are down to his limitations compared to his strengths and not related to Scottish Football.

The annoying thing in terms of the move is he started the first 12 games he was available for in all competitions as Jullien was out, so he had chances to play. As can often happen with a loan move, the clubs own players returning from injury saw them played ahead of the loan player filling in.

It is only loan thankfully so he is not committed long term but should Ajer or Jullien leave in this window then he may get more consistent game time again. If he can't get ahead of Bitton then he needs to getting out.

Julien is out until April/May, he won't be going anywhere in this window.

I'm sure there'll be teams queuing up for him at the end of the season then. :rolleyes:

Probably not. Football has moved on from Duffy’s one dimensional style. He’s really good at the thing he does, but all PL teams need a little more depth to their players. Every team that came up - even deep lying ones - plays a bit of ball at the back to get out of trouble and earn respites. Look at Fulham and West Brom for instance, even with primarily defensive approaches they have CB’s - like our own O’Shea, Ivanovic, Ajayi, Andersen etc who can do something with the ball at their feet.

No one pushing for promotion from the Champ will be playing on the back foot either, so really his best options are from mid table down in the Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Probably not. Football has moved on from Duffy’s one dimensional style. He’s really good at the thing he does, but all PL teams need a little more depth to their players. Every team that came up - even deep lying ones - plays a bit of ball at the back to get out of trouble and earn respites. Look at Fulham and West Brom for instance, even with primarily defensive approaches they have CB’s - like our own O’Shea, Ivanovic, Ajayi, Andersen etc who can do something with the ball at their feet.

No one pushing for promotion from the Champ will be playing on the back foot either, so really his best options are from mid table down in the Championship.

Duffy has two and half years left on his 45k contract. The lad is going nowhere anytime soon unless he takes a pay cut or Brighton find another club silly enough to actually fork out that much for Duffy.

Duffy has two and half years left on his 45k contract. The lad is going nowhere anytime soon unless he takes a pay cut or Brighton find another club silly enough to actually fork out that much for Duffy.

He'll be thrown down to train/play with the kids.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Agreed and this is an issue for his Ireland career as I don't see him playing much football in the foreseeable future.

Having said that, I don't think he should be playing in Kenny's system anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Agreed and this is an issue for his Ireland career as I don't see him playing much football in the foreseeable future.

He mightn't have to worry about that for too much longer. Unless Kenny can convert defenders playing keep ball into something more meaningful he'll be out the door.

Hendrick, Clark, Egan and Mcgoldrick all in action in the 6pm kick off.

I can see some clubs wanting to take him on loan, but Brighton ain't getting any sweet deals this time around. They'll more than likely have to cover a bigger portion of his wages.

They saw Celtic coming a mile away with that loan deal, and for a player deemed surplus to requirements for Brighton, and currently struggling at Celtic for all the reasons why Potter deemed him surplus to requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Going to Celtic is like signing off on your career.

Can't believe Connell can't get chance with that muck around him

Which 'muck' players in particular? Mac Gregor is a mainstay in the team, Soro and Turnbull have been revelations since coming in a few weeks back and are undroppable for now, Johsnton is a bright talent and back from injury, Rogic is an experienced player which was badly needed last night. With the league well and truly gone now i really hope to see Connell get his chance too

Hendrick, Clark, Egan and Mcgoldrick all in action in the 6pm kick off.

Hendrick starts right of a front three. Strange.

• Advertisement

I can see some clubs wanting to take him on loan, but Brighton ain't getting any sweet deals this time around. They'll more than likely have to cover a bigger portion of his wages.

They saw Celtic coming a mile away with that loan deal, and for a player deemed surplus to requirements for Brighton, and currently struggling at Celtic for all the reasons why Potter deemed him surplus to requirements.

The alternative is that Brighton might decide take the money and sell Ben White, and just hold onto Duffy as 3rd or 4th choice.

The alternative is that Brighton might decide take the money and sell Ben White, and just hold onto Duffy as 3rd or 4th choice.

White signed a four year contract before the season started. Can't see him going anywhere soon, unless a team throws crazy money at Brighton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Jesus, McGeady is still playing at a fairly high level, taught he had retired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Off the Ball just tweeted saying that apparently Alan Kelly has left the Irish set up now too.

Off the Ball just tweeted saying that apparently Alan Kelly has left the Irish set up now too.

Wonder if this is an extension of last time he left the camp, with the risks of contracting Covid being too high in an international setup for a 50-something asthmatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Yes both Alan Kelly and Damien Duff gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Wonder if this is an extension of last time he left the camp, with the risks of contracting Covid being too high in an international setup for a 50-something asthmatic.

He's not leaving Everton though, seems an improbable main reason for his departure at this stage I feel.

There's a lot more than meets the eye bubblin' beneath the surface, no idea what it is but it doesn't bode well for our feeble form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The whole thing is a sh1tshow no matter what way you look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Anyone who believes it for Covid reasons is seriously deluded.

Rats leaving a sinking ship. No doubt Kelly will appear again under another manager.

Had great hopes for Kenny but the optics on this are very poor.

• Advertisement

luketitz wrote: »
    He's not leaving Everton though, seems an improbable main reason for his departure at this stage I feel.

There's a lot more than meets the eye bubblin' beneath the surface, no idea what it is but it doesn't bode well for our feeble form.

As we've already seen, a premier league club bubble is a veritable fort knox in comparison to our international setup where we have lads flying in from all different levels, having a good auld mingle with coaches with all sorts of jobs away from the international role.

A club bubble is consistent. A national team bubble - especially ours - is total chaos.

It's why those nations league matches were a total shitshow for everyone. The whole competition would've been scrapped if it weren't for national associations needing the tv money.

Hope he does come out with his reasoning though. To be honest, it might even just be the pointlessness of the role over the next few months anyway. What are you supposed to do as a goalkeeping coach in an international setup right now? With social distancing from coaches, and the major cutback on actual physical training, i'd imagine it seriously dilutes what practical use you can be in those few days. Same applies for Duff... what are ya really meant to be doing as 3rd in command in these circumstances. Must feel like a huge waste of time with so little actual coaching able to take place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement