Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

So looks like Kelly and Duff were on opposite sides. Also looks like Kelly himself or his feelings were let known about Videogate.

It's Kelly who going come out worse on this all of sudden.

Got feel sorry for Kenny. What a **** show.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I would be very disappointed in Alan Kelly if he left because he took offence to the video.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I would be very disappointed in Alan Kelly if he left because he took offence to the video.

Was it not that he took offense to being suspected of leaking it to the press ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

sugarman wrote: »
    Almost definitely.

If I was to take a wild guess, Duff and Kelly had their differences and both have stepped aside.

Get O'Shea and Given in.

Is O’Shea going to leave a Reading team pushing for promotion to go to an Irish team with the arse falling out of it where he could be replaced in a few months??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

luketitz wrote: »
    He's not leaving Everton though, seems an improbable main reason for his departure at this stage I feel.

There's a lot more than meets the eye bubblin' beneath the surface, no idea what it is but it doesn't bode well for our feeble form.

Dan McDonnell wrote that Kenny and Kelly didn't necessarily see eye to eye:

"Kelly was goalkeeping coach under Kenny's predecessor Mick McCarthy but agreed to stay on after the succession plan was implemented.

While he had a decent personal relationship with Kenny, it's understood they did not necessarily see eye to eye on how the staff operated in the new regime.

Kenny viewed Kelly firmly as a goalkeeping coach whereas the Preston native was used to having an input beyond that.

In that context, this parting of ways has not come as a surprise to the FAI hierarchy or to dressing room figures with Kenny now mulling over replacement options."

Good riddance and Kenny should never have kept on anyone linked to previous managers. At this stage he might as well make whatever changes he wants now because I can't see him getting a new contract after this campaign unless we qualify or get into the play offs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Is O’Shea going to leave a Reading team pushing for promotion to go to an Irish team with the arse falling out of it where he could be replaced in a few months??

He wouldn't be leaving, double jobbing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

APOEL playing today at 2, will be interesting to see if Byrne gets in the squad.

He wouldn't be leaving, double jobbing

From what I was reading, I think it was Ken Early, Reading wouldn't allow that, they allow the U21 role because it's a lot less work. If he went to the Senior Ireland team it would be full time and gone from Reading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

APOEL playing today at 2, will be interesting to see if Byrne gets in the squad.

He is featured on the front cover for todays game.

https://twitter.com/apoelfcofficial/status/1349336162876481537?s=20

https://twitter.com/McDonnellDan/status/1349072839773745154

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

So McCarthy was on a 300k salary at APOEL.
    Probably walked away with around 5-600k in severance for 9 games.

Or to put it another way....

McCarthy got €2 million off the FAI for 8 competitive games.

Doesnt really make sense, the u21 fixtures and training camps etc.. would have more interference with his club duties at present as they dont adhere to the same windows as the senior Internationals which the Championship schedule caters for.

In theory it should work out better for him and Reading. I dont see why or how it would be a full time position either given the gaps in the windows. Sure Damien Duff was coaching Shells, Alan Kelly was coaching Everton, Robbie Keane was working at Middlesbrough, Roy Keane was working Villa ..Keith Andrews is still doing punditry work.

No reason he cant juggle both like the others.

He's currently doing his Uefa Pro licence. Saw it mentioned somewhere else that he preferred the U21s because the lighter workload suited him with his job at Reading and his Pro Licence course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Anyone who believes it for Covid reasons is seriously deluded.

Rats leaving a sinking ship. No doubt Kelly will appear again under another manager.

Had great hopes for Kenny but the optics on this are very poor.

How many careers will SS. Kenny take down with him as he sinks? Kelly's covid excuse is stretching credibility if you're being kind.

This daft experiment will soon be behind us one feels, thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

How many careers will SS. Kenny take down with him as he sinks? Kelly's covid excuse is stretching credibility if you're being kind.

Is it though? I mean, I wouldn't fancy a job that involved a lot of international travel right now - especially one that involves mixing with a load of lads flying in from all over the place. And I'm a 30-something healthy enough guy, rather than a 50-something asthmatic. That Ireland camp is into double figures for Covid-events at this stage after all.

Linking it to the actual performance of the team is what I think stretches credibility to be honest. Failure is not a new thing for someone involved in Irish squads for donkey's years. I do think his personal reaction to the video likely played a part, along with his voice carrying less weight than it once did. I'd say between those two things and the very real risk to his health, the cons have outweighed the pros.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Is it though? I mean, I wouldn't fancy a job that involved a lot of international travel right now - especially one that involves mixing with a load of lads flying in from all over the place. And I'm a 30-something healthy enough guy, rather than a 50-something asthmatic. That Ireland camp is into double figures for Covid-events at this stage after all.

Linking it to the actual performance of the team is what I think stretches credibility to be honest. Failure is not a new thing for someone involved in Irish squads for donkey's years. I do think his personal reaction to the video likely played a part, along with his voice carrying less weight than it once did. I'd say between those two things and the very real risk to his health, the cons have outweighed the pros.

In the context of Duff walking in the days before, yes, it stretches credibility.

The FAI don't have a penny to their name. Unless you want Roddy Collins as next manager then Kenny it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Will we get through the rest of the month without any more withdrawals, retirees, resignations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

the kelt wrote: »
    Will we get through the rest of the month without any more withdrawals, retirees, resignations?

Probably not. It sure looks like whoever leaked (and why such a big deal was made about the video which was nothing IMHO) has had their way and Kenny's has been seriously undermined.

In the context of Duff walking in the days before, yes, it stretches credibility.

I'm not sure I get your point... do you think the two lads who by all accounts are on completely opposite sides of all this are in cahoots in leaving?

IMO it just further ties it into exactly what I said. No big anti-Kenny conspiracy, but just a series of normal things - his role being lessened, his discomfort with the video, the lack of impact you can really have as an international coach during covid, and the very real risks to his health caused by the shambolic organisation of the FAI, all just builds momentum towards saying it's not worth the risks and stepping away.

Alan Browne signs a new three and half year contract.

Edit: set to sign, don't think it's official yet but everyone seems to be reporting it so more than likely it's signed but waiting to announce it.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure I get your point... do you think the two lads who by all accounts are on completely opposite sides of all this are in cahoots in leaving?

IMO it just further ties it into exactly what I said. No big anti-Kenny conspiracy, but just a series of normal things - his role being lessened, his discomfort with the video, the lack of impact you can really have as an international coach during covid, and the very real risks to his health caused by the shambolic organisation of the FAI, all just builds momentum towards saying it's not worth the risks and stepping away.

It's not that they are in cahoots, but the camp, predictably, is falling apart.

It's only a matter of time before the next departure, ostensibly for covid, family or Granny dying reasons. We all now what's going on though - the tide is going out on this era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Not been mentioned but Percy Tau, who previously couldn't get a work permit, now has the Brexit version. Will join Welbeck as competition for Connolly at Brighton.

He’s still sticking with Everton. Who have players from all over the world who will have to fly out and back for international duty. So the first paragraph doesn’t make sense.

He’s still sticking with Everton. Who have players from all over the world who will have to fly out and back for international duty. So the first paragraph doesn’t make sense.

Fairly huge distinctions there in fairness.

1) It's where he lives and works full time, not a huge risk taken for the sake of 2 weeks, during which what you can actually achieve is negligible.

2) Proper PL clubs have proper measures in place to stop those coming back from international duty bringing it into the camp. Ireland - obviously - don't. Have Everton even gotten a single covid case? I can't think of one to be honest. They went into isolation just as a precaution a few months ago, which is about the only event I can think of. Ireland are into double figures for covid events.

3) In your own role in your own club you can act yourself to mitigate against catching the virus. You travel yourself. You choose the distances you keep from people. You choose who you want to keep your distance from, if someone is returning from being outside the bubble. Meanwhile, at international level, everyone is horsed onto planes filling every seat, with no distance between them.

Trying to equate the two scenarios as being equivalents is nonsensical.

1) It's where he lives and works full time, not a huge risk taken for the sake of 2 weeks, during which what you can actually achieve is negligible.

2) Proper PL clubs have proper measures in place to stop those coming back from international duty bringing it into the camp. Ireland - obviously - don't. Have Everton even gotten a single covid case? I can't think of one to be honest. Ireland are into double figures for covid events.

3) In your own role in your own club you can act yourself to mitigate against catching the virus. You travel yourself. You choose the distances you keep from people. You choose who you want to keep your distance from, if someone is returning from being outside the bubble. Meanwhile, at international level, everyone is horsed onto planes filling every seat, with no distance between them.

Proper PL clubs? Man City and Villa aren’t proper clubs? Fulham? 40 positives results in PL clubs 2 weeks ago. 36 positives in PL clubs this week. All it takes is one person to infect the whole club. So that argument is absolute nonsense.

Goalie coach can’t choose who he works with, there’s only 3 senior goalies. Hahaha.

Some of the arguments put forward are hilarious.

2) Proper PL clubs have proper measures in place to stop those coming back from international duty bringing it into the camp. Ireland - obviously - don't. Have Everton even gotten a single covid case? I can't think of one to be honest. They went into isolation just as a precaution a few months ago, which is about the only event I can think of. Ireland are into double figures for covid events.

Covid is a poor excuse when he was with the group in September, October and only dropped out before the third match in November. Covid didn't just spring out of nowhere and was a thing while he was travelling around Europe with the senior team.

Covid is a poor excuse when he was with the group in September, October and only dropped out before the third match in November. Covid didn't just spring out of nowhere and was a thing while he was travelling around Europe with the senior team.

Exactly, and you can be sure PL clubs are currently sourcing vaccines for their staff. If there was no vaccine on the cards it might make sense.

Proper PL clubs? Man City and Villa aren’t proper clubs? Fulham? 40 positives results in PL clubs 2 weeks ago. 36 positives in PL clubs this week. All it takes is one person to infect the whole club. So that argument is absolute nonsense.

Goalie coach can’t choose who he works with, there’s only 3 senior goalies. Hahaha.

Some of the arguments put forward are hilarious.

What? No. The 'proper' was not distinguishing some premier league clubs from others, but distinguishing top level outfits from sides that don't have the money for twice weekly testing.

Of course there are positive tests around, this virus is extremely contagious! But top level clubs offer a far safer haven than any of those lower down the leagues - with players and coaches flying in to play for ireland. Ireland's record is demonstrably bad at this, so is of course going to be a factor for someone. How could it not be?

As for your comment on the goalkeepers, I daresay you can be fairly positive that any keeper that comes back into the setup from being outside it is tested twice before coming back into physical interaction coaching with others.

You trying to argue that there is the same level of risk/reward in being in a premier league club versus a poorly organised irish setup is what's hilarious.

As I said, covid, plus having a diminished voice in the camp, plus his distaste for the video, plus the limited tangible work you can actually do under the ridiculous circumstances.

I've never said covid was the only reason, but is a factor. At a top level club you have more protections, and your work is a day-to-day longer term project. At international level it's a whole load of risky travel, for effectively very little practical gain. Add all the other factors above in about job fulfillment, and I'm just not surprised he stepped away.

I'm just trying to look at the realities of his personal situation, rather than falling into the "Kenny is so shit!!11111221!" chasm.

What? No. The 'proper' was not distinguishing some premier league clubs from others, but distinguishing top level outfits from sides that don't have the money for twice weekly testing.

Of course there are positive tests around, this virus is extremely contagious! But top level clubs offer a far safer haven than any of those lower down the leagues - with players and coaches flying in to play for ireland. Ireland's record is demonstrably bad at this, so is of course going to be a factor for someone. How could it not be?

As for your comment on the goalkeepers, I daresay you can be fairly positive that any keeper that comes back into the setup from being outside it is tested twice before coming back into physical interaction coaching with others.

You trying to argue that there is the same level of risk/reward in being in a premier league club versus a poorly organised irish setup is what's hilarious.

As I said, covid, plus having a diminished voice in the camp, plus his distaste for the video, plus the limited tangible work you can actually do under the ridiculous circumstances.

I've never said covid was the only reason, but is a factor. At a top level club you have more protections, and your work is a day-to-day longer term project. At international level it's a whole load of risky travel, for effectively very little practical gain. Add all the other factors above in about job fulfillment, and I'm just not surprised he stepped away.

I'm just trying to look at the realities of his personal situation, rather than falling into the "Kenny is so shit!!11111221!" chasm.

Ignore list is your best friend. Mine has multipled since the first hissy fit when Kenny didn't select Obafemi.

• Advertisement

All 92 professional league clubs in England get tested twice weekly now. Try again. :rolleyes:

All 92 professional league clubs in England get tested twice weekly now. Try again. :rolleyes:

It's painful trying to have a grown up discussion with someone who refuses to actually converse or seemingly even think about the points raised.

I didn't know that - that's brilliant from the football league, fair play to them, must be costing them an absolute fortune.

My point still stands that there are tangible and obvious differences in risk/reward between working day-to-day on a continuous project within the contained environment of your local club, and a few hurried sessions in an international free for all, taking in planes and hotels etc with a far higher risk of contraction than otherwise. We all do the same risk/reward analysis when we decide to go to the shops but not to go to your buddies gaf for drinks.

It's a really simple point, and I really don't understand why you don't accept that a lad in his 50's with asthma may decide what makes the most sense for him based on the risk/reward of all the factors making up 2 distinct sets of circumstances. Saying that because he has decided to stay working with his club but not his country absolutely rules out any influence of covid on his decision-making is nonsensical. As I said, I'm sure it's one of several factors I've already gone into, but it seems quite reasonable to accept his word that it is in there as a factor - same as it is for all of us in every decision we make right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

You guys are beating this Kelly/Duff thing to death. It's totally pointless. Kenny will be judged at the end of this qualifying campaign and any speculation of him leaving before then (barring some sort of disastrous game against Luxembourg) is ludicrous.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

As I said, covid, plus having a diminished voice in the camp, plus his distaste for the video, plus the limited tangible work you can actually do under the ridiculous circumstances

All of the above could be and probably are true. However I'm not sure why the objectionably terrible performance of the team is being ruled out as a factor, also the fact that Duff chose to jump ship.

I think if both Duff and Kelly really believed in the Kenny project they wouldn't have left their jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Kingp35 wrote: »
    All of the above could be and probably are true. However I'm not sure why the objectionably terrible performance of the team is being ruled out as a factor, also the fact that Duff chose to jump ship.

I think if both Duff and Kelly really believed in the Kenny project they wouldn't have left their jobs.

If Duff and Kelly didn't believe in the project from the start then we're as well off with them out of the setup.

If they did believe in the project from the start and have lost faith after a few tough games and bad results, then they're not really worth having on board to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

MacDanger wrote: »
    If Duff and Kelly didn't believe in the project from the start then we're as well off with them out of the setup.

If they did believe in the project from the start and have lost faith after a few tough games and bad results, then they're not really worth having on board to begin with.

To be fair the "PROJECT" is not really worth having on board,
    Its been an absolute disaster from day one doesn't say much for Kenny that coaching staff are packing it in ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Happy Birthday to our own Decl.......Oh wait never mind! :pac:

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1084761480472477698?s=20

Born in Ireland according to wiki... might he be someone who's tied to either us or Nigeria(assuming that's the origin) and not our English friends as well?.

It's rare a player pops up now who we cant lose to some other country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

If he plumps for England he'd want to be pretty good to get any kind of look in, given the talent they have at the moment. As much as that pains me to say.

Born in Ireland according to wiki... might he be someone who's tied to either us or Nigeria(assuming that's the origin) and not our English friends as well?.

It's rare a player pops up now who we cant lose to some other country.

There's questions over whether he qualifies for England or not. His family moved to Manchester when he was 12 so could qualify through residency, but for now it's us or Nigeria.

• Advertisement

Born and bred in Dublin to Nigerian parents, didnt move to England until he signed for City as a teen. Doesnt qualify for England, just Ireland and Nigeria.

With a bit of luck he can put in a few performances for West Ham over the next month or 2 and maybe earn a call up for the March internationals. We badly need someone to step up up front if we’re gonna start the group strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

If he plumps for England he'd want to be pretty good to get any kind of look in, given the talent they have at the moment. As much as that pains me to say.

The odd thing is seems he has wiped his social media of all Irish references and follows the English national side but I seen suggested on another forum his social media channels may be run by a management company. I have a feeling agents may be pressuring players into holding out for the riches of England appearances. Not sure but he might qualify for England through residency. If he does I think it makes a mockery of what international football is supposed to be. I'd have zero issue if he lined out for Nigeria however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

To be fair the "PROJECT" is not really worth having on board,
    Its been an absolute disaster from day one doesn't say much for Kenny that coaching staff are packing it in ,

They are a goal keeping coach and a first team coach. All in both of their jobs involves no more than 4 weeks training ground work all year.
    Pop Given or Bonner in to kick a few balls at Randolph and give him a few pointers and any former player really for Duffs job and move on.

henke wrote: »
    The odd thing is seems he has wiped his social media of all Irish references and follows the English national side but I seen suggested on another forum his social media channels may be run by a management company. I have a feeling agents may be pressuring players into holding out for the riches of England appearances. Not sure but he might qualify for England through residency. If he does I think it makes a mockery of what international football is supposed to be. I'd have zero issue if he lined out for Nigeria however.

Ya I be same. No problem if he chooses Nigeria, wont be good for us but if he is able play for England it's a joke really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

They are a goal keeping coach and a first team coach. All in both of their jobs involves no more than 4 weeks training ground work all year.
    Pop Given or Bonner in to kick a few balls at Randolph and give him a few pointers and any former player really for Duffs job and move on.

That's a similar attitude we took in appointing a manager.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Wouldng day its agents alone. I'd imagine Brady, Gold and Sullivan are sending a particular message. They know an English player is an extra few million in a players valuation. They were apparently fairly heavy on the rice pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

"Stoke City can confirm that James McClean has been suspended with immediate effect pending a disciplinary hearing into an alleged breach of Covid-19 regulations, namely training in a private gym."

Damien Duff and Alan Kelly clashed over Stephen Kenny speech.

In a nutshell, Kelly didnt like the video/speech and had a row with Duff over it. Duff then didnt like how the FAI treated the matter. In the end, both walked for different reasons.

Nothing really more to it, draw a line under it and move on.

I had heard before Christmas that Duff had already tried to walk away a couple of times, from someone friendly with Duff as well. Some of the goings on in the dressing room are laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Nunu wrote:
    "Stoke City can confirm that James McClean has been suspended with immediate effect pending a disciplinary hearing into an alleged breach of Covid-19 regulations, namely training in a private gym."

Yet players having NYE parties played days later, fairly over the top from Stoke on the face of it

Happening all too much these days. The influence that agents hold is getting bigger and bigger. Pretty sure Grealish has the same agent as Bale, who said Bales dad chewed him a new one when he asked who Bale would be representing at international and he wanted Bale to play with England because it would be worth millions. Pretty sure O'Dowda said similar about his agent wanting him to play for England.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement