Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Nunu wrote: »
    "Stoke City can confirm that James McClean has been suspended with immediate effect pending a disciplinary hearing into an alleged breach of Covid-19 regulations, namely training in a private gym."

That is pathetic from Stoke, if true.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Wasn't he one of the ones with covid before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Tested positive during the internationals back in November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Yeah, he got it back in November.
    Which does take the sting out of this a wee bit - but whether you've had it or not, everyone is still obliged to abide by the rules and restrictions. And it still hasn't been confirmed that people who have antibodies can't still transmit it to others if they're exposed later on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Yeah agreed however there were higher profile incidents with other players who didn't get suspended.
    That said there was a circular issued only a week ago for clubs to start banning players who broke the guidelines so it shouldn't be unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Some of the goings on in the dressing room are laughable.

Such as? Don’t have to name names, just wondering the context. Players/ management?

Such as? Don’t have to name names, just wondering the context. Players/ management?

Really interested in this too, particularly given that the whole regime has operated under covid... it doesn't feel like there's a lot of scope for much of anything really, good or bad.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Really interested in this too, particularly given that the whole regime has operated under covid... it doesn't feel like there's a lot of scope for much of anything really, good or bad.

Let's just say Kenny is very eccentric in some of the ways he carries on.

MK Dons looking to make Warren O'Horas loan move permanent. Out of contract in the summer but Dons are looking to sign him now.

• Advertisement

Go on....you’ve got us now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Spill the beans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Watched my first ever Belgian league game to see Cullen play for Anderlecht. Standard was about upper Championship level with both teams playing a mostly passing game, while still being a very physical affair. Cullen himself played in the defensive midfield role, acting as a shield to the back four. Reminded me a lot of Glenn Whelan (I don't mean that in a bad way), but while also having a bit more about him. He did make a few attempts to get forward, even took a shot. Unfortunately for him, Anderlecht had a man sent off early on, and once that happened it was very much a backs to the wall affair. Cullen did put a serious shift in, but the opposition were rampant, especially towards the end.

He looks solid, he has a good engine, he has a defined role in a midfield three similar to what Kenny favours. From what I have seen, I would have McCarthy ahead of him, but Cullen would definitely be my second choice option for the deep lying midfield role.

Don't fall for it, he's spinning a yarn.

Don't fall for it, he's spinning a yarn.

Given that Kenny's personality and point of view were the things that convinced a reluctant and FAI-sceptical Duff to take the job in the first place, I'd be inclined to give Kenny the benefit of the doubt on that particular episode without more detail anyway.

Robinson starting for WBA. Just drew a foul that got them a pen which was converted. He's looking lively so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Forgotten man Scott Hogan with a goal for Birmingham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Dara O’Shea powderpuff for the first Wolves goal. Muscled out of it by an 18yo who looks about 10 stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wayne Rooney makes 19-year-old Jason Knight his captain for his first game as permanent Derby manager. Big vote of confidence in the Irish lad.

Wayne Rooney makes 19-year-old Jason Knight his captain for his first game as permanent Derby manager. Big vote of confidence in the Irish lad.

Rooneys a massive fan of Knight. Heaped praise on him after he joined Derby, even saying that Knight reminded Rooney of himself when younger.

Robinson starting for WBA. Just drew a foul that got them a pen which was converted. He's looking lively so far.
    He won two pens in that match and had a very good game consider he had a lack of support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Molumby not starting for Preston is disappointing, hope it’s just a niggle and he hasn’t gone on loan to a side that he won’t be starting with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just listening to off the ball talkin about the whole off field stuff - video thing and ppl resigning

Lads there’s def more going on behind the scenes. We will no doubt find out eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Just listening to off the ball talkin about the whole off field stuff - video thing and ppl resigning

Lads there’s def more going on behind the scenes. We will no doubt find out eventually

What sort of behind the scenes stuff is being insinuated?

Troy Parrott still To score for Milwall, would have expected him to be banging them in at this stage.
    Has always looked lively when played for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Jack Bryne is in the Apoel squad for tomorrows game

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭AhhHere

Of the 9 championship games today, 4 captains were Irish. Knight, Pearce, Lenihan and Browne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

sugarman wrote: »
    Smallbone starting for Southampton, Ferry and Long on the bench.

I'm not usually one to say cap any English born player just for the sake of it, but I think we should really look at getting Smallbone into the senior squad soon, especially if he is to feature a bit between now and the end of the season. From what I've seen of him he is a different option to the other midfielders we have coming through and has not looked out of place anytime he has played in the PL. I fear that a few good performances for Southampton and Southgate could try to turn his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Smallbone went off with a knee injury. He walked off the pitch so hopefully it's not too serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

henke wrote:
    Smallbone went off with a knee injury. He walked off the pitch so hopefully it's not too serious.

1st time seeing him, looks decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I'm not usually one to say cap any English born player just for the sake of it, but I think we should really look at getting Smallbone into the senior squad soon, especially if he is to feature a bit between now and the end of the season. From what I've seen of him he is a different option to the other midfielders we have coming through and has not looked out of place anytime he has played in the PL. I fear that a few good performances for Southampton and Southgate could try to turn his head.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40063646.html

I would love if Southgate approached him and he told them no thanks. we owe them one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

MK Dons are said to have accepted a bid for Richie Keogh from a Championship team, some even seem to think its Derby! Which would be a bizarre turn around.

At 34, his days in an Ireland shirt are probably passed him but he was always decent for us, I dont ever recall him putting a foot wrong ...and he is a player who is comfortable with the ball at his feet, so I wouldn't completely rule it out if the move goes well for him and he finishes the season strong.

Be crazy if he went back to Derby! He was scapegoated pretty badly in that whole incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

population wrote: »
    Be crazy if he went back to Derby! He was scapegoated pretty badly in that whole incident.

Maybe Rooney is trying to put things right. But last week they couldn't even afford to pay the players they already have.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

population wrote: »
    He was scapegoated pretty badly in that whole incident.

I couldn't agree with that but it would be some twist of he went back there.

MK Dons are said to have accepted a bid for Richie Keogh from a Championship team, some even seem to think its Derby! Which would be a bizarre turn around.

At 34, his days in an Ireland shirt are probably passed him but he was always decent for us, I dont ever recall him putting a foot wrong ...and he is a player who is comfortable with the ball at his feet, so I wouldn't completely rule it out if the move goes well for him and he finishes the season strong.
    Derby have no money and were unable to pay their players over Christmas. There is even talks of them going into administration if their long running takeover doesn't go through. I doubt they are in any position to be offering offering new contracts right now.

Agree he was solid for us, but he's way down the pecking order and not getting any younger. We have Duffy, Clark, Egan, O'Shea, Long, Lenihan, Collins, and Williams who would all be ahead of him.

Agree he was solid for us, but he's way down the pecking order and not getting any younger. We have Duffy, Clark, Egan, O'Shea, Long, Lenihan, Collins, and Williams who would all be ahead of him.

Even at 34 and his bad injury I'd probably have Keogh ahead of Duffy in that pecking order going on recent form.

In fairness to him after such a bad injury and long lay off at his age you would have wondered what was left off his career. Don't know how he has been playing but looking at his stats he is consistently playing 90 mins week after week including 120 in the Cup recently. After the Derby debacle you have to credit him on the effort he has put in to get back to full fitness. If Ireland have a few injuries in defence and he is playing in the Championship I wouldn't be surprised to see him called up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Great header from mcgoldrick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Enda Stevens only back from injury but his form has been awful since lockdown now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Jack Byrne on for final 20 mins for Apoel, they're 3-1 up.

Finished 2-3 . They are only 2 pts off top 6 now . League splits after 7 more games and top 6 play off for Europe spots

• Advertisement

henke wrote: »
    In fairness to him after such a bad injury and long lay off at his age you would have wondered what was left off his career. Don't know how he has been playing but looking at his stats he is consistently playing 90 mins week after week including 120 in the Cup recently. After the Derby debacle you have to credit him on the effort he has put in to get back to full fitness. If Ireland have a few injuries in defence and he is playing in the Championship I wouldn't be surprised to see him called up again.

Well MK Dons manager has said he's in talks with a championship team, and most of the talk seems to be Huddersfield now as Derby haven't a pot to piss in. If he's playing for Huddersfield then he needs to be in the conversation.

Also speaking of Derby, it seems Knight is also being linked as a possible target for Leeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Troy Parrott still To score for Milwall, would have expected him to be banging them in at this stage.
    Has always looked lively when played for Ireland.

Millwall fans don't seem to be happy with what they're getting from him, but he does seem to be feeding off scraps. He's still young so hopefully there is more to come.

Millwall fans don't seem to be happy with what they're getting from him, but he does seem to be feeding off scraps. He's still young so hopefully there is more to come.

Seems the wrong club to be at as a young striker. Swansea - also looking for a loan striker - would look to maybe have been a better option for him.

I suppose at least he's getting regular gametime now, which is always good, but would rather him be in a team with a decent amount of possession in the opposition half.

It's head scratching that Millwall are playing him wide left. Like fair enough the lad can do a job out wide left, but that's when he's playing amongst his own age group with underage teams, not against experienced players at senior level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Gary Rowett's teams are not easy to watch and are akin to Burnley/Stoke in their approach in that they are more direct than possession based. Was never a great move for Parrott, but at least he is getting some minutes on the pitch now.

Warren O'Hora signs for MK Dons permanently, wouldn't be surprised to see Keogh officially announced by Huddersfield or whoever soon.

Good to see some young defenders impressing in League One this season. Masterson could probably do with dropping to League One, has only played in four games all season for QPR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

adaminho wrote: »

That's two long term injuries now in the last two seasons.

That's two long term injuries now in the last two seasons.

ACL is a cruel blow for him. He looks a decent player. Hopefully we comes back stronger. And for any sceptics I highly doubt he is faking an ACL to get out of a cap.

henke wrote: »
    ACL is a cruel blow for him. He looks a decent player. Hopefully we comes back stronger. And for any sceptics I highly doubt he is faking an ACL to get out of a cap.

His luck with injuries has been bad. Missed the Toulon Tournament and U19s Euros because of injury, and then missed the next 6 games with the U21s through his first long term injury.

And the chances of him getting that cap soon would probably have been slim anyway, unless he managed to keep his place in the starting XI.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement