Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What should my next running goal be? Just started with a 19:01 5k

• 20-08-2020 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi, I've been running on and off for years but only ever to compliment my mountain biking. I do some adventure and mountain races. There are no mountain bike events on this year and I just like having a goal, so with no racing on the horizon I feel a bit lost and aimless. I do love trail running though, it really reminds me of mtb.

I've never really trained for running, I just go out and run in the mountains or on the road. Recently, I did a 4 week training plan and ran a 19:16 5k. Then I did another 3 weeks of training and got it down to 19:01. That was all out and I haven't really don't much running since.

I know that's a pretty decent 5k time so I am wondering what I should aim for next. I have absolutely no inclination to do a marathon as I get quite bored on runs longer than 15km and it just doesn't interest me. I weigh 76kg at 5'11" so I probably have a bit of room to lean down a bit. I don't want to be a rake either though as mtb requires a fair bit of strength.

I do like competition and I am self motivated to go out and do training sessions. I don't want to set my targets too high either. What time frame for a sub 18minute 5k would be realistic?

Or should I train for something longer like a 10k now that I have a 5k done? I have a good kick and when I was younger (34 now) I would have been very fast when playing football. Are there races shorter than 5km that people partake in?

Just looking for a bit of advice from more experienced runners.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

MTBD wrote: »
    Hi, I've been running on and off for years but only ever to compliment my mountain biking. I do some adventure and mountain races. There are no mountain bike events on this year and I just like having a goal, so with no racing on the horizon I feel a bit lost and aimless. I do love trail running though, it really reminds me of mtb.

I've never really trained for running, I just go out and run in the mountains or on the road. Recently, I did a 4 week training plan and ran a 19:16 5k. Then I did another 3 weeks of training and got it down to 19:01. That was all out and I haven't really don't much running since.

I know that's a pretty decent 5k time so I am wondering what I should aim for next. I have absolutely no inclination to do a marathon as I get quite bored on runs longer than 15km and it just doesn't interest me. I weigh 76kg at 5'11" so I probably have a bit of room to lean down a bit. I don't want to be a rake either though as mtb requires a fair bit of strength.

I do like competition and I am self motivated to go out and do training sessions. I don't want to set my targets too high either. What time frame for a sub 18minute 5k would be realistic?

Or should I train for something longer like a 10k now that I have a 5k done? I have a good kick and when I was younger (34 now) I would have been very fast when playing football. Are there races shorter than 5km that people partake in?

Just looking for a bit of advice from more experienced runners.

Well, if 10k is the max that interests you, you could aim for 39:30, which is about an equivalent performance to a 19 min 5k. Or if you think shorter stuff is your bag, yes, there are (in normal times) plenty of shorter races available on the track, although to be eligible for the some of them you’d need to be in a club.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Itziger

The recent 5k (track) world record might tempt you. You'll need to knuckle down to some serious training mind.

On a slightly more serious note. It's hard to know what to advise till you put in a good training block. Nothing beats consistency and base.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MTBD

Itziger wrote: »
    On a slightly more serious note. It's hard to know what to advise till you put in a good training block. Nothing beats consistency and base.

Thanks for the reply. 5k world record eh? Would a 6 week training block be enough?

Genuinely though, what would you consider a good training block? I did a bit more thinking after my initial post and I think my ultimate goal would be to be at the sharp end of the adventure race/mountain running scene. I said I don't like running more than 15km but that's only on road. I'd run for as long as I can in the mountains. I have done a handful of IMRA and adventure races over the years and I much prefer it to road running. I think it compliments mountain biking more as I have good descending skills and my bike times would be competitive. But the guys who get top 20s in these things are all strong road runners too, so I need to up my pace when it comes to running. I have a friend who trains a lot for long distance races and he finished just ahead of me in a recent 22km 1000m climb mountain race but he seems to have no speed in his legs whereas all the top guys seem to be able to run pretty quick km splits on the flat section s.

Is trying to get faster over short distances the way to build speed for these things? I can't see how I could ever run 20km fast if I can't run 5km relatively fast too.

PS I know I'm not going to become a "top guy" overnight before anyone thinks I'm underestimating the challenge. I'm basing it off having a top 80 in Gaelforce west and a top 50 in Killarney with no specific training done for them and I would simply like to edge up a few positions towards the top 30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Enduro

I'll post a longer reply in a day or two. But the main thiing is to do what you enjoy. 5k flat racing isn't necessary to be a good mountain runner. I've won a few mountain races, and I've never raced 5k.

• Advertisement

You say that you've only ever trained on and off and that running was to complement the biking, so we don't know what you're capable of. Consistency - a year or two of solid training - would probably see big gains in terms of PBs.

Running more, days and miles, is probably the most important thing. As ever, with the caveat not to have big jumps from one week to another. You don't want to go from 30 miles a week to 60 the next week.

Having said that, you seem to want to see how you can do in a few weeks or months time. What distances do you run? Is there structure to your week? Or do you just go out and blast a few 4 or 5 mile runs a few times a week? When I say structure I mean, do you include recovery days/easy days. Do you have longer easy runs and/or Tempo runs? Running is fairly simple really although there are a number of ways to improve. I'm a believer in mostly easy with say 2 quality sessions a week but that's cos it kinda suits me and my style. Age might be a factor also. Some other more technical and 'professional' lads might chip in as well. Enduro is a top, international-level endurance athlete, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

You could try the 800 m or the mile. Don't know what your speed is like but you could aim for breaking 5:30/40 for the mile maybe.

Is there anything to be said for another mile log? Just a small one, oh God I love a good mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Speed declines with age, so you can run longer race when you're older. But its hard to run fast race when you're older.

My advice is to develop your speed when you can and carry that into longer race when you have too.

Itziger wrote: »
    You say that you've only ever trained on and off and that running was to complement the biking, so we don't know what you're capable of. Consistency - a year or two of solid training - would probably see big gains in terms of PBs.

Running more, days and miles, is probably the most important thing. As ever, with the caveat not to have big jumps from one week to another. You don't want to go from 30 miles a week to 60 the next week.

Having said that, you seem to want to see how you can do in a few weeks or months time. What distances do you run? Is there structure to your week? Or do you just go out and blast a few 4 or 5 mile runs a few times a week? When I say structure I mean, do you include recovery days/easy days. Do you have longer easy runs and/or Tempo runs? Running is fairly simple really although there are a number of ways to improve. I'm a believer in mostly easy with say 2 quality sessions a week but that's cos it kinda suits me and my style. Age might be a factor also. Some other more technical and 'professional' lads might chip in as well. Enduro is a top, international-level endurance athlete, for example.

Thank you for the reply. I have followed a Run With Hal app program for my 5k attempts. I found it excellent and I was running 5 days a week with that. I think I was doing around 60km a week. I ramped up from less than 15km a week to 60km without any issues.

But since then I haven't followed any plan and that was back in June. My usual is to just run 2-3 times a week. Anywhere from 5km to 12km. Usually the longer runs will be on mountains so will have a minimum of 400m gradient. There isn't really any structure to the runs. I just go as hard as I feel I should. Generally, I probably go quite hard relative to more experienced runners. I couldn't get over how slow I had to run some days when following the runwithhal program. But then there were some real tough days on that program with a couple of interval sessions every week. I loved it to be honest. I thought it was an amazing app for free.

I feel like a young 34 as even with those hard sessions and ramping up from low mileage, I rarely felt like I was over doing it or fatigued. I love the speed sessions.

You could try the 800 m or the mile. Don't know what your speed is like but you could aim for breaking 5:30/40 for the mile maybe.

Is there anything to be said for another mile log? Just a small one, oh God I love a good mile.

I could be tempted. I'm not the best at updating logs though although it could be a target to run a fast mile AND keep a log of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement