Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LWR in school

• 20-08-2020 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

just received an email from mgmt looking for a volunteer for the role of LWR with 2 hours of your timetable?
    I think this is a poison chalice as I think this will take a chunk more time than 2 hours........:confused: what are your thoughts on this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

It'll take longer and it will place you between staff and management as a mediator, I'd approach with caution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

Nobody wanted it in my school, at least the aide was paid & defined time. LWR has all the signs of being a nightmare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I would be torn on this if I was still in a school. I think it will take more than 2 hours at least initially and potential for major rows. But, at least you would have some level of input into how things are being done, instead of being at the mercy of someone who will just roll over for the principal - if that'sa concern. I feel very strongly about the safety measures being done properly, so I would feel I can't really expect to hold them to account if not willing to step up myself. I think I would do it. Probably wouldn't have been given the 2 hours though as a Maths teacher.

School where I did QQI last year (not going back but still on email list) is not appointing until first day back. Kind of late in the day at that stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LW2018

What is happening in schools where nobody has put their name forward for the role?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Wondering this myself, don't know anyone going in our school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭amacca

I would be torn on this if I was still in a school. I think it will take more than 2 hours at least initially and potential for major rows. But, at least you would have some level of input into how things are being done, instead of being at the mercy of someone who will just roll over for the principal - if that'sa concern. I feel very strongly about the safety measures being done properly, so I would feel I can't really expect to hold them to account if not willing to step up myself. I think I would do it. Probably wouldn't have been given the 2 hours though as a Maths teacher.

School where I did QQI last year (not going back but still on email list) is not appointing until first day back. Kind of late in the day at that stage!

You shouldnt feel like that...yiu have a right to not do it, continue to do the job you were contracted to do to the best of your ability and still hold them to account for doing their best to provide a safe workplace imo

I think Its because so many feel like that they stay quiet while the piss is taken ...in all walks of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LW2018

I put myself forward for this role in school but was the only one who did... from talking to a number of friends in various schools, there has been little interest in it. I’ve read the document a few times and feel I know what I’m setting myself up for but doesn’t bode well that a lot have no interest... I’ve a very good working relationship with senior management as it stands so hopefully all will go well. Have to balance my post responsibilities with it and teaching too. The training though consisted of a video ... shouldn’t be surprised though.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

Given the level of responsibility involved, the role of LWR ought to be a temporary AP2 post (at least) in all schools for the duration of this pandemic. Two hours off timetable is not near enough time for the duties it entails. I’m not at all surprised to hear that there is little interest in such an onerous position

Advertisement