Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shortage of maths teachers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Treppen wrote: »
    Although do the maths, you wouldn't carry over your increment from the CS to teaching, not sure about pension.
    My understanding was that you could carry your increments over, if your previous job was related closely enough to your subject area. I've a colleague, mind, who's fighting with them to get them to recognise his experience in the business sector since he's a business teacher, to no luck so far. He thinks he has a case though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

onrail wrote: »
    I'm gathering from this thread that it isn't straightforward (or even possible) for an engineer with a maths heavy degree and masters to pursue maths teaching?

No it's not.....I am an engineer and I looked into it a few years ago.Maybe if you were straight out of college you could change over, but if you have bills and/or a family and the rest, it is more hassle than it's worth. There are a lot of hoops to jump through.If I remember correctly it's a good 2 years fulltime to switch and I don't think they even consider you fully qualified then.It's a big ask.

More annoying is that it's not just the learning how teach element that they are concerned about, they don't consider your maths to be enough so you have to do ....more.Which takes up a good bit of time...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It’s not. Have a friend who did data science and analytics couldn’t do maths teaching because their degree didn’t have certain math modules you would need.

But you can hop from engineering to data analytics fairly ok....part time Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

trihead wrote: »
    I haven't seen it advertised yet but there is the maths post-grad being introduced again - free one for existing teachers to retrain. UL had the contract the last time but not sure who who won the tender this time round.

Is that definitely going ahead? I saw calls for it last year but haven't seen anything since, granted COVID has probably taken all the attention. I'm doing the PME now (having changed career) and like many don't have enough/the "correct" credits for maths, but am doing it in the PME along with my science subject that I can register with. I'd be interested in doing the course to be able to register fully, and would appreciate a bit of a refresher in some of the content.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

Polka_Dot wrote: »
    Is that definitely going ahead? I saw calls for it last year but haven't seen anything since, granted COVID has probably taken all the attention. I'm doing the PME now (having changed career) and like many don't have enough/the "correct" credits for maths, but am doing it in the PME along with my science subject that I can register with. I'd be interested in doing the course to be able to register fully, and would appreciate a bit of a refresher in some of the content.

The previous running of the course you had to be teaching maths in some capacity in a school, although ....if you had an amicable principal...

Once your in a school most principals won't care about the teaching council as you'll be registered to be paid for whatever you teach with Science.

T there are a few teachers on here who did the extra modules with OU , but now I'm not sure if the TC want a bunch of teaching methodology modules on top (which you might be ok with the PME). OU is expensive though, especially if you're already working away at maths in a school. I think the DIT did modules at the time too.

But dealing with the Teaching Council is far far worse than the worst student you will ever teach. They should do a 'Coping with the Teaching Council' module in the PME.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm already doing some maths in placement (or at least was last year) as I'm doing the methodology modules in the PME, which the TC do require. I doubt I'd be doing the course this year anyway with the workload I'll have, but if it goes ahead next year too (which I believe was in the plan) then I'd definitely like to take it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Polka_Dot wrote: »
    Yeah I'm already doing some maths in placement (or at least was last year) as I'm doing the methodology modules in the PME, which the TC do require. I doubt I'd be doing the course this year anyway with the workload I'll have, but if it goes ahead next year too (which I believe was in the plan) then I'd definitely like to take it on.

If you are in a related subject like Science you may not need to. I mostly teach Maths, all the way to HL leaving cert, its not my teaching council subject. One year of covering and it was clear I was more than capable. Going back to get the extra modules would have cost a fortune and I had a very large amount of maths in my degree, especially in first and second year of college.

If you are in a related subject like Science you may not need to. I mostly teach Maths, all the way to HL leaving cert, its not my teaching council subject. One year of covering and it was clear I was more than capable. Going back to get the extra modules would have cost a fortune and I had a very large amount of maths in my degree, especially in first and second year of college.

I have a feeling this will be my case as well, I'm in Dublin where the shortage seems to be. If the postgrad course is offered again I'll do it (IIRC it was proposed as being free for practising teachers) but I can't see myself needing to go out of pocket for additional modules. Likewise I have a lot of maths in first and second year, after that less "official" maths but still needed a good knowledge of stats etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Same as me, you won't have a bother in Dublin. Once they find out your a decent Maths teacher they won't care what the piece of paper says. Definitely don't go spending money on it, lord knows the PME is expensive enough as is. If you want a job next year I'd have one, I'd say you'd nearly pick one up by accident on the street. We had so few applicants this year, anyone interested enough to be on a teaching forum during their PME will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

I did the free two year part time maths course in the last few years and can't say it really benefited my teaching. The course was outdated so a lot of the content we were covering had nothing at all to do with the current LC HL course.
    If there is a new course coming out I hope it has been updated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement