Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ligue 1 Superthread 2020/21

• 20-08-2020 7:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

PSG-1.jpg

Ligue 1 returns tomorrow as Bordeaux host Nantes, following the cancellation of the originally scheduled opener of Marseille vs St Etienne due to Covid-19 cases.

Here's a preview I did, offering some predictions:
    PSG, seeking their first Champions League win on Sunday, will again be the hot favourites to clinch the title. Despite Thiago Silva seemingly joining Cavani out the door, assuming they keep most of their squad together it's hard to imagine them being stopped. My prediction: 1st

Lyon will be without European football this season and it will be interesting to see whether that helps them domestically. The challenge will be trying to keep hold of their team together as clubs from abroad eye up the likes of Aouar, Dembele and Depay. Rudi Garcia redeemed his reputation with wins over Juventus and Man City, but if they flounder in Ligue 1 again his position will come under scrutiny. They tended to struggle last season against teams that sat back deep, a tactic they will likely face a lot. My prediction: 5th

AVB did a brilliant job taking Marseille back into the Champions League as runners-up, reviving Payet's form and helping them defensively. He will have Florian Thauvin back after he missed most of last season with injury - unless he moves on as some rumours suggest - but having to balance the league and European duties will test the side. My prediction: 3rd

Julian Stephan showed why he's one of the most promising young coaches on the continent, following up Rennes' French Cup win in 2019 with Champions League qualification for the first time. Martin Terrier looks a great signing from Lyon but, like Marseille, fighting on multiple fronts will be challenging. My prediction: 7th

Lille will feel hard done by that last season ended abruptly as they would have fancied their chances of catching Rennes for the Champions League spot. Osimhen going to Napoli is a blow though, and they're banking on new signing Jonathan David from Genk to replace his goals. Centre-back Gabriel is being strongly linked with a Premier League move and he would be another big loss. Hard to know if they can produce without these players. They host Rennes on Saturday in what should be a good match. My prediction: 6th

Monaco have been a mess for the last two years, but with former Bayern coach Niko Kovac at the helm now they'll be hoping he can revive their fortunes. They scored 44 goals last season which was the second-highest in the league, but also conceded 44 goals with one of the worst defences. They've signed Axel Disasi from Reims who was one of the best defenders, and if they can tighten up at the back and keep Ben Yedder up top, they could be a force. Hard to know with them though. My prediction: 2nd

Nice under Patrick Vieira have been inconsistent but the abrupt ending of the season helped get them into the Europa League with a 5th place finish. Despite being acquired by English billionaire Jim Ratcliffe last year they have so far resisted the urge to spend massive money. They'll need Dolberg to have another strong season. My prediction: 8th

Reims were another beneficiary of the season being halted, getting into the Europa League in 6th place. David Guion has done a remarkable job with them since getting promoted two years ago, with 2 top ten finishes back to back. They had the best defensive record in Ligue 1 last campaign with only 21 goals conceded, but as noted they have sold CB Axel Disasi to Monaco, the same team they visit on Saturday for the opening round. My prediction: 11th

Montpellier finished 8th and are another team that can consider themselves unlucky the season ended prematurely, just a point off the Europa League places. Their strike force of Delort and Laborde is one of the best pairings in the league, and Mollet one of the best playmakers. They have bought young English striker Stephy Mavididi from Juventus too after he did well on loan at Dijon. They seem set to continue with inspirational captain Hilton, who turns 43 in September. Under experiended coach Der Zakarian they could well be in the European places, although they've lost loan keeper Rulli who was great and has gone back to Sociedad. They've signed a new keeper Jonas Omlin from Basel as his replacement. They've a tough start playing Rennes, Nice and Lyon but if they can keep it tight at the back I reckon they can be a surprise package this season. My prediction: 4th

Strasbourg struggled at the start of the last campaign but finished the season well to finish in the top half, a few points off the European places. Under Thierry Laurey, with whom they won the League Cup in 2019, they will be looking at another mid-table finish at least. Ajorque is a decent striker up top who should chip in with goals. My prediction: 10th

Angers finished 11th and will be looking at a similar type of position under experienced coach Stephane Moulin. They have some decent attackers like Alioui, Bahoken and Ninga but haven't managed to replace the goals of Toko Ekambi from a few seasons back. They've broken their transfer record this summer by signing French U-21 keeper Paul Bernardoni from Bordeaux for €8m. My prediction: 15th

After a falling out between Paulo Sousa and the board, Bordeaux have turned to Jean-Louis Gasset, who walked away from St Etienne in 2019 after they narrowly missed out on Champions League qualification to rivals Lyon. De Preville had a good season as did Laurent Koscielny, and there were signs England's Josh Maja was beginning to settle. If Gasset can galvanise them, they might be able to compete for Europe. My prediction: 9th

Nantes had a disappointing season after what had been an encouraging start. The form of the exciting Moses Simon was one of the few highlights. He has joined on a permanent deal from Levante. Another mid-table finish looks their best bet. My prediction: 13th

Brest had a satisfactory return to the top flight, finishing 14th. Larsonneur was one of the most eye-catching keepers in the division, and the additions of Herelle and Pierre-Gabriel should help them defensively. They will be optimistic they can stay up. My prediction: 14th

Metz, the other promoted side, also survived, finishing on the same points total as Brest. Habib Diallo managed 12 goals and if they can keep hold of him they will fancy their chances of survival. If he moves on, they will struggle. My prediction: 18th

Dijon achieved survival finishing 16th, although as noted Stephy Mavididi will be at Montpellier next season. Captain and all-time goalscorer Julio Tavares will be expected to score the goals to keep them up. It could be a difficult season for them. My prediction: 19th and relegation.

Claude Puel's Saint-Etienne had a horrible league season, although made it to the French Cup final, losing 1-0 to PSG. Long-serving keeper Ruffier had a public spat with Puel and has been frozen out, while Saliba is off to Arsenal. Highly-rated PSG youngster Aouchiche has been signed, and Bouanga will be relied on for goals after scoring 10 last season. They're too good to be in another relegation scrap and there will be big pressure on Puel if they have a poor start. My prediction: 12th.

Nimes finished 18th and while normally that would require a relegation/promotion play-off, due to the pandemic they were cancelled, and so Nimes kept their top flight status. They looked dead and buried in the first half of the season but put together a run to save themselves. Bernardoni's heroics in goal often saved them and now he's gone to Angers, but they've signed the experienced Reynet who is a decent replacement. Of bigger concern is experienced coach Bernard Blaquart moving on, replaced by assistant Jerome Arpinon. My prediction: 20th and relegation.

Lorient won promotion by winning Ligue 2. Yoanne Wissa was their top scorer in Ligue 2 with 15 goals, and they've also signed Adrian Grbic from Clermont who managed 17 in the same division. Jeremy Morel joins his boyhood club from Rennes and looks a good addition with his experience. My prediction: 16th.

Lens were promoted in 2nd place and have bolstered their attack, acquring Ignatius Ganago from Nice, as well as Gael Kakuta on loan from Amiens. They've also bought Corentin Jean and Issiaga Sylla from Toulouse. These look good on paper, though three of them are players from teams relegated last season. My prediction: 17th.

Who do you like for the European places?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭- bo -

I just came on here to post in the 2019/20 thread to ask if you were setting up your annual Ligue 1 thread!

As usual, looking forward to spending the first third or so of the season looking like we are either going to win the league or be relegated, before dropping/climbing to mid-table and ending up with another mediocre finish somewhere between 10th and 14th place...

I'm genuinely completely out of the loop with regard to transfers etc the way the past few months have gone, I've no real mad reasoning behind any predictions but will say -

1 Paris
    2 Lyon
    3 Marseille
    4 Lille
    5 Rennes
    6 Monaco
    10 Nantes
    19 Nîmes
    20 Brest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Results from the first round of fixtures:
    Bordeaux 0-0 Nantes
    Dijon 0-1 Angers
    Lille 1-1 Rennes
    Monaco 2-2 Reims
    Lorient 3-1 Strasbourg
    Nimes 4-0 Brest
    Nice 2-1 Lens

20-year-old Amine Gouiri got both goals on his debut for Nice as they came from behind to beat promoted side, Lens. Gouiri's record at France youth level is excellent, and Aulas was comparing him to Benzema not long ago. Lyon sold him for just €7m this summer and Lyon fans are raging about it. First goal from him was a beauty:

https://twitter.com/NoGouiriNoParty/status/1297556640170999808

Lovely start for the other promoted Lorient, coming from behind to win well.

Surprised at Nimes starting so well. They've a young striker of 19, Kevin Denkey, who got a goal and assist. Norwegian LB Biger Meling also got a goal and assist on his debut.

Niko Kovac unable to get an opening win for Monaco despite Axel Disasi scoring against his old side. El Bilal Toure got a goal and assist for Reims, another highly rated youngster. Striker Boulaye Dia also on the scoresheet for them, who has been linked with a move to Brighton recently.

Lyon and PSG back in action on Friday and Saturday versus Dijon and Lens respectively. Rennes vs Montpellier and Reims vs Lille look the pick of the games next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Fair play for getting this going again MNG, dont see many Ligue 1 games but always enjoy following this thread

Lyon beat Dijon 4-1 in their first game back since the Champions League. Depay grabbing a hat-trick. I wouldn't be shocked if Koeman makes a move for him as he was a big supporter of his while coaching the Dutch national side.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

• Advertisement

I was trying to think of the last time a 17-year-old midfielder had this level of impact that Camavinga is producing. Cesc Fabregas perhaps? Very rare for a player to look this good at his age. I like that he seems to be adding much more of a goal threat this season too.

Results from the second round of fixtures:
    Lyon 4-1 Dijon
    Rennes 2-1 Montpellier
    Strasbourg 0-2 Nice
    Reims 0-1 Lille
    Angers 0-2 Bordeaux
    Metz 0-1 Monaco
    Nantes 2-1 Nimes
    Saint-Etienne 2-0 Lorient
    Brest 2-3 Marseille

Nice with two wins from two thanks to Dolberg’s double. He could be ready to have a big campaign.

Good win for Rennes and four points from meetings with Montpellier and Lille is a solid start for them. Also like their signing of Serhou Guirassy from Amiens for €15m. I think Mendy would be a big loss though if he heads to Chelsea, assuming they don’t sign a replacement.

Jonathan Bamba got his second in as many weeks for Lille. Their big signing Jonathan David yet to get off the mark. England’s Josh Maja, on the other hand, is up and running for Bordeaux, scoring their opener.

Niko Kovac got his first win as Monaco boss. Djibril Sidibe was back in the side for them. Nantes win despite having two players sent off. There have been quite a lot of red cards since Ligue 1 returned: 9 dismissals from the first two weeks.

Claude Puel and AVB with their first wins back for St Etienne and Marseille. Thauvin managed a goal and 2 assists tonight.

Some good games to come after the international break: Bordeaux vs Lyon should be interesting. Montpellier vs Nice will be Patrick Vieira’s toughest game so far. And of course, Le Classique. There should be a bit of extra spice to that one after Marseille’s police banned the wearing of PSG shirts the day of the CL final. They later reversed the decision after a backlash. Marseille fans were also wildly celebrating Bayern’s win. That’s the kind of game you really miss having the crowd involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Lens beat PSG 1-0. Could say a shock but PSG missing most of team due to covid

paulie21 wrote: »
    Lens beat PSG 1-0. Could say a shock but PSG missing most of team due to covid

Jese actually got game time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

No idea who this is but some goal

https://twitter.com/Yartaoui35/status/1305158334111191040

Real time

https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/1305193873711468544

That's the puskas award finished already

That's Irvin Cardona. Remember him mostly for nearly scoring at Marseille last season with an unlucky effort that hit both posts and came out. Good player but wouldn't have imagined him capable of scoring a goal like that. Shades of Di Canio looking at the replay of it.

All weekend results so far:
    Bordeaux 0-0 Lyon
    Montpellier 3-1 Nice
    St-Etienne 2-0 Strasbourg
    Lille 1-0 Metz
    Angers 1-0 Reims
    Dijon 0-2 Brest
    Nimes 2-4 Rennes
    Lorient 2-3 Lens
    Monaco 2-1 Nantes

I caught the Lille/Metz game this morning. Lille's record signing Jonathan David had another difficult time. He had a great chance 1v1 but finished poorly. I couldn't help but think Osimhen would have buried it last season. David desperately needs a goal to get going. On a brighter note, Jonathan Bamba looks much like his old self from 18/19 after a poor season last campaign.

Didn't see the Lyon game but I'm sure they'll be disappointed with that result. Had a feeling Vieira's Nice would have a tricky time at Montpellier. Claude Puel has started the season off well with two wins from two. Rennes' new signing Serhou Guirassy with a brace on his debut. Sounds like the promoted sides Lorient and Lens served up a good game and Ganago scored again for Lens after his goal against PSG on Thursday.

'Le Classique' coming up at 8pm. Game is live on BT Sport. Team news:
    PSG XI: Rico; Florenzi, Kehrer, Kimpembe, Bernat; Herrera, Gueye, Verratti; Di Maria, Neymar, Sarabia.

Marseille XI: Mandanda; Sakai, Alvaro, Caleta-Car, Amavi; Rongier, Kamara, Gueye; Thauvin, Lopez, Payet.

No Mbappe but Neymar, Di Maria and new signing Florenzi all start. It had been reported in the French media AVB was going with Maxime Lopez as a false 9 and it looks like that's the plan based on the above.

• Advertisement

Lovely finish from Thauvin on the volley from Payet's set-piece. Marseille lead against the run of play.

This game is getting very feisty. Alvaro wanted VAR consulted, claiming Di Maria spat at him.

Looked like it was 2-0 Marseille but they've chalked it off for offside. Doesn't look it on the screen.

https://twitter.com/UniqueRiggers/status/1305241546942545926

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

What a finish, ugly scenes

Very bad tempered end to this game. Might be a few reds.

Both teams finish with 9. Kurzawa, Paredes, Benedetto and Amavi all sent off.

Wait. Now Neymar given a straight red for a stupid slap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,707 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Neymar doing what he does best

Good riddance

Very bad tempered end to this game. Might be a few reds.

Both teams finish with 9. Kurzawa, Paredes, Benedetto and Amavi all sent off.

5 reds, wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Acosta

That was great fun. Glad I watched it :)

Acosta wrote: »
    That was great fun. Glad I watched it :)

The bit of atmosphere from the small crowd added to it, nice having fans back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

5 players sent off in 1 go, brilliant! Good game marsille deserved winners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Acosta

US2 wrote: »
    5 players sent off in 1 go, brilliant! Good game marsille deserved winners

Yeah. The VAR for the disallowed second goal looked very harsh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

That really was an interesting finish, pure petulance by Neymar in particular, bad tempered to say the least.

Headlines will be all about that late madness but AVB deserves huge credit for that win. He did a job on them. 20-year-old Kamara was immense in front of the back four. Rongier very calm in midfield too. Alvaro and Caleta-Car solid at the back. Payet did well and took a lot of punishment when he was on. A result like that will give them confidence going into the Champions League.

As for PSG, they let themselves down big time and allowed their frustrations get the better of them. Wonder when the last time they lost their opening two game was. Must be a good few years.

Really like the crowd being there for these games, even if it is sparse. Not sure the game would have had that edge in an empty ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Ugly ending. Standard of the offside decisions was very questionable, that Marseille second goal looked onside and that PSG chance at the end of normal time was clearly onside.

Neymar probably should have gotten a second yellow long before that brawl anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Neymar
    The only regret I have is that I didn't hit this a****** in the face!"

"VAR catching my “aggression” is easy, now I want to see it show the racist calling me monkey motherf****r) ... that's what I want to see!"

https://twitter.com/neymarjr/status/1305262756459876358?s=20

https://twitter.com/neymarjr/status/1305275338390466561?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

I saw that after the game.
    Neymar pointed up to the screen. I thought first he was referring to the penalty shout in the first half, but the BT Sport commentator said straight away that Neymar was talking about racism and pointing up at the screen.
    A few minutes previously, when Alvaro shielded the ball out of play, Neymar pushed him and he went over like a sack of spuds.
    There were verbals after that with Alvaro looking like he was hoping to get Neymar a second yellow. They were separated but it continued.
    Then later on Neymar patted Alvaro twice on the back of the head, all before the punch.

Either way, I'd say there are enough videos and lip-reading specialists to decide what was said.
    We could be back in Suarez-Evra territory again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,211 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Wonder when the last time they lost their opening two game was. Must be a good few years.

The 1984-85 season was the last time.

Also, the only other time in their history (albeit short mind you) that they lost their opening two matches without scoring was in the 1978-79 season.

Ligue 1 action tonight on BT Sport at 8pm and it's an interesting one as Montpellier host Lyon.

Montpellier's Delort and Laborde have one of the best connections in the league, and Savanier is capable of quality. They're coming off a good 3-1 win over Nice at the weekend. Lyon meanwhile are giving Tino Kadewere a first start up front. Depay is on the bench which is likely related to his supposed Barca move. Aouar, however, is starting despite rumours of a move away. Shout out to Hilton at centre-back for the home side who turned 43 just two days ago. Giving hope to us all. Opta says he's the first 43-year-old to play in Ligue 1 in nearly 65 years.

Aouar given a straight red for a bad studs up challenge.

https://twitter.com/FootComps/status/1305956475878211584

Might turn out to be his last appearance in a Lyon jersey. Would be a shame if that's the way his time there ends.

Montpellier leading 1-0 at the break thanks to a Savanier pen. They're worthy of the lead as Delort had a great chance earlier that he should have scored. It will be tough for Lyon to get back into this with ten men.

• Advertisement

Big moment as Hilton gets a straight red and in the process concedes a pen, which Depay converts. Now 10 vs 10 with 82 minutes on the clock. Chance for Lyon to salvage something.

Full-time: Montpellier win 2-1 and deserved the win. Savanier the man of the match with a Panenka pen and a nice low strike. Lyon looked pretty toothless and it's the usual problem they have underGarcia: great against sides that like to attack since they can hit them on the counter, but struggling to unlock teams that sit back deep.

Strange moment in the game with Delort subbed on the hour mark as his team were winning 2-0. He proceeded to punch the seats and then stormed off down the tunnel. I could understand a young player throwing a tantrum like that but the chap is nearly 29.

Big moment as Hilton gets a straight red and in the process concedes a pen, which Depay converts. Now 10 vs 10 with 82 minutes on the clock. Chance for Lyon to salvage something.

I thought Depay had left for Barca.

US2 wrote: »
    I thought Depay had left for Barca.

Seems to be very close according to reports.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1305940598105440256

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

The French Football League disciplinary committee meets today.
    They have to look at all five red cards and will use reports from officials and match pictures to decide whether further disciplinary action is taken.
    Its going to be bad for one person, whichever way this goes.

PSG had another red card tonight as Diallo got sent off but they managed to beat Metz 1-0 via a Draxler goal in the 93rd minute. Metz could have made it 1-0 moments before the late winner but they fired wide. Paris had to finish the game with 9 men as Bernat went off injured. It was strange as the commentator noted Tuchel had a sub remaining, but for whatever reason he didn't use it, meaning his team finished with nine rather than ten. Di Maria had a great game and was the difference on the night. Icardi very wasteful.

Nice vs PSG on Sunday should prove a tougher test for Tuchel. I wonder if Mbappe will be fit for that one.

St Etienne have gone top after beating Marseille 2-0. Great start for Claude Puel: 3 games, 9 points, 6 goals, none conceded. He was one of the big beneficiaries of last season ending early as they looked in real danger of the drop at one stage. He's really gotten a handle on things the last few months. Nice finish on the counter from Bouanga:

https://twitter.com/tacleassassin2/status/1306698948829118468

I could see Bouanga attracting interest from bigger clubs. He was their talisman last season.

Marseille maybe had their minds on all that mayhem from the PSG game. Speaking of PSG, Juan Bernat has been ruled out for six months with a serious ACL injury. Very unfortunate for him as he improved massively last campaign. You'd think Paris will sign someone now as Kurzawa's not ideal for a team going for the Champions League. I bet they're annoyed they missed the boat on Reguilon. Rumours suggesting they want De Sciglio from Juve which seems a rather underwhelming choice to me.

• Advertisement

Lyon held to a goalless draw at homes to Nimes, their second goalless draw of the season after the one with Bordeaux. I only caught the last twenty minutes but they didn't look like they had much of a threat despite Dembele and Depay starting. Dembele had a good chance with a header but sent it over. Ripart hit the crossbar for Nimes. Pressure growing on Garcia now. If Depay, Aouar and Reine-Adelaide move on before the window closes, things could get very bad for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,348 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/5912000/neymar-ban-ligue-1-investigation-racism/

you can see the full video there.

if racist allegations are true, neymar's ban should be rescinded i think, with Gonzalez being banned for ~5 years.

if the allegations were frivolous, i would increase his ban to maybe ~1 year after slandering Gonzalez. he's already had death threats and his family has had to move out.

Impressive 2-1 comeback win for Rennes against Monaco this evening after going behind to Ben Yedder's strike in the first half. 18-year-old LB Adrien Truffert came off the bench and got a goal and an assist on his debut. Rennes now temporarily top. Mendy not in the squad as he's seemingly bound for Chelsea. Pleased for Rennes having this good start. I like the way they have been building their way up these last few seasons.

Promoted side Lens beat 10-man Bordeaux 2-1 in the early game. Ignatius Ganago with his 3rd goal of the season. He's unlikely to be at the club for long if he keeps this form up. Lens up to third now.

Some interesting games tomorrow. Nice vs PSG at noon and Marseille vs Lille at 8pm.

Sunday's results:
    Nice 0-3 PSG
    Brest 3-2 Lorient
    Metz 2-1 Reims
    Montpellier 4-1 Angers
    Strasbourg 1-0 Dijon
    Nantes 2-2 Saint-Etienne
    Marseille 1-1 Lille

Only caught the last few minutes of the Marseille/Lille game but seems like Lille were unlucky not to get three points. AVB said after the game Marseille are looking at getting a new striker shortly. Rumour is they're signing Luis Suarez - no, not that one. Apparently this is a young guy on Watford's books from Colombia.

Mbappe unsurprisingly gave PSG a lift on his return. Goals from him, Di Maria and Marquinhos gave them the win.

Montpellier up to third with their win. Delort got over his strop mid-week when he stormed down the tunnel to bag two goals. St. Etienne join Rennes at the top with their point, and those two will face each other next week.

Strasbourg's win over Dijon sees them finally put points on the board. Dijon are now bottom and the only side without any points from the opening four games.

17 - must be worth about 117million at this rate!

https://twitter.com/Squawka/status/1309910502433316864?s=19

• Advertisement

I caught the second half of PSG's 2-0 win at Reims. Icardi got both goals and Mbappe provided the two assists. Paris were pretty wasteful and made harder work of it than they should have. Mbappe missed a sitter after Di Maria put it on a plate for him. Sarabia also had a bad miss late on. Neymar came in for some rough treatment and wasn't happy about a clatter to the face from El Bilal Toure. He ended up doing some showboating late on which riled Reims up even more. Di Maria is about to go on a 4 game ban over his part in the Marseille match.

Pleased to see Rennes top of the table and remaining unbeaten. That was an impressive result against St Etienne. If they can sign Jeff Reine-Adelaide from Lyon they will have a very nice midfield but rumours tonight suggest he is on his way to Hertha Berlin.

Lille are also unbeaten after their 2-0 win over Nantes. I was surprised Marseille were held by Metz at home. They even needed a 95th minute equaliser from Sanson. Niane got Metz's goal and he looks an exciting talent. Ignatius Ganago is joint-top of the scoring charts for Lens after getting another goal against Nimes. If he keeps this up he won't be at Lens for long.

Lyon being held at Lorient is another poor result for Rudi Garcia. Just one win in five for them now. Patience must be running thin. Patrick Vieira having a bit of a dip at Nice too; after starting the season with two wins they haven't won since and were held goalless by Bordeaux. Monaco got a 3-2 win over Strasbourg which sounds like one to check on the highlights. Ben Yedder got a brace and Volland with two assists. Surprised Montpellier were held to a 2-2 draw at Dijon and that's Dijon's first point of the season.

Lyon vs Marseille looks the pick of next week's games. That match has had a few bad-tempered games the last few years. I could see that one having a bit of needle to it. Both sides badly in need of a win as well.

6-1 win for PSG over Angers to move them second behind Rennes. Neymar got a brace and played very well. Mbappe also on the scoresheet and he had some good moments too. Florenzi got his first goal for the club with a lovely strike.

https://twitter.com/OficialFutTT/status/1312107228556529664

Scoreline was a bit harsh on Angers. Two of the PSG goals were deflections and they had chances themselves but couldn't take them. I was impressed with Rayan Ait-Nouri at LB who is being linked with Wolves and Valencia. He looked very good going forward.

All weekend results:
    PSG 6-1 Angers
    Lens 2-0 St. Etienne
    Nice 2-1 Nantes
    Montpellier 0-1 Nimes
    Strasbourg 0-3 Lille
    Metz 3-0 Lorient
    Brest 1-0 Monaco
    Bordeaux 3-0 Dijon
    Rennes 2-2 Reims
    Lyon 1-1 Marseille

I caught the end of the Lyon game. Depay had a decent chance but couldn't finish. Payet gave Marseille the lead but got sent off minutes later. Don't think he can have any complaints:

https://twitter.com/AFCfreddie8/status/1312834789955842050

Aouar got the equaliser from the spot. Wonder was that the last game for him and Depay at Lyon. Garcia's side still struggling with just one win in six now.

Rennes and Lille are joint-first but that was a disappointing result for Rennes against 19th-place Reims. Promoted side Lens are up to 3rd now with another impressive win for them. Dijon continuing to look poor and are bottom with just a point.

Disappointing results for Monaco and Montpellier. Ibrahima Niane got a hat-trick for Metz in their win. Really like the look of him. I recall he worked very hard up top against Reims a few weeks back. He's top of the scoring charts now with 6 goals. Wouldn't be surprised if big clubs are taking notice. Think a move now would be too soon though but maybe in a year.

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1316739596642930692

Gutted for him. He looked like he was ready to have a breakout season. Puts Metz in a really bad spot now as they just sold last season's top scorer Habib Diallo to Strasbourg.

Weekend's results:
    Dijon 1-1 Rennes
    Nimes 0-4 PSG
    Reims 1-3 Lorient
    Marseille 3-1 Bordeaux
    Strasbourg 2-3 Lyon
    Angers 1-1 Metz
    Nantes 3-1 Brest
    Monaco 1-1 Montpellier
    Saint-Etienne 1-3 Nice
    Lille 4-0 Lens

I watched Lille vs Lens in the Derby du Nord. Lille very impressive. Bamba looks back to his best and Sanches also did well in midfield. Their new young Dutch CB signing Sven Botman also looks a player; he was very assured alongside Fonte. Lens got two players sent off in the second half, and in truth were well beaten. Lille now top of the table with 17 points from a possible 21. Only negative was Jonathan David has still to get off the mark. He's lacking confidence in himself.

Important win for Lyon to ease the pressure on Rudi Garcia. Toko Ekambi with a brace, while Depay was involved in all three goals. Habib Diallo scored for Strasbourg on his debut. Patrick Vieira’s Nice gone 5th following a good win. Things not going great for Claude Puel after a strong start: now lost 3 games on the spin.

PSG gone second with a comfortable win. Nimes shot themselves in the foot, going down to 10 men after 12 minutes. Mbappe managed a brace, while Moise Kean and Rafinha made their debuts. The latter played well. Rennes now level with Paris in 3rd after dropping points at Dijon. Disappointing result for them against the league’s bottom side.

Two English strikers got on the scoresheet: Stephy Mavidi for Montpellier, helping them to a good draw at Monaco. Monaco will be disappointed as they were playing 10 men for 70 minutes. Josh Maja also scored for Bordeaux, though they were well beaten by Marseille. Thauvin with a goal and assist, and also had a pen saved by Costil.

Big win for promoted Lorient at Reims in the battle for survival. Reims in bad shape at the back so far. Last season they had the league’s best defence, conceding 21 goals in 28 games; now, they’ve already conceded 13 goals in 5 and are sitting 19th.

Watched Rennes vs Angers. Finished 2-1 to Angers as they get their first win at Roazhon Park in 44 years. It's Rennes' first loss of the season. They were pretty lacklustre tonight despite Stephan making a few changes from the Champions League game. Boufal and Bahoken did well for Angers.

PSG vs Dijon is at 8pm tomorrow on BT Sport 2. Dijon are bottom and without a win so that is likely to be a hammering.

Weekend results so far:
    Rennes 1-2 Angers
    Lorient 0-1 Marseille
    PSG 4-0 Dijon
    Lens P-P Nantes
    Metz 2-0 St-Etienne
    Brest 0-3 Strasbourg
    Bordeaux 2-0 Nimes
    Montpellier 0-4 Reims
    Nice 1-1 Lille

Had half an eye on the Nice/Lille game. Dolberg took his goal well for the home side, fending off Bradaric to beat Maignan. Yilmaz with an emphatic finish to level it. That draw sees Lille slip to second behind Paris on goal difference. Didn't see the PSG game but Moise Kean got a brace as did Mbappe who came on as sub. Neymar managed two assists. Marseille move 4th with their narrow win.

Shocking result for Montpellier getting thrashed by Reims who hadn't won a game going into it. Home side had two players sent off in the first half and conceded two pens. Boulaye Dia with a hat-trick for Reims. I know Hilton is a hero at Montpellier, still going at 43, but it looks like it's time to call it a day. He got sent off after 7 minutes and that was his second red of the season. I remember he cost them a goal at Dijon a few weeks back too.

Puel's Saint-Etienne continuing to struggle. That's a 4th loss in a row now. Just the one goal in those games as well. Metz doing surprisingly well given their injury woes. Former Metz striker Habib Diallo getting another goal for his new club Strasbourg in their win. Gasset going well at Bordeaux: his two late subs Briand and Oudin won the game and moves them 8th.

Lyon vs Monaco coming up in the evening game at 8pm on BT Sport. Plenty of quality on show but two teams that have yet to truly get going. Teams for tonight:
    Lyon XI: Lopes; Dubois, Marcelo, Diomande, Cornet; Paqueta, Mendes, Aouar; Toko Ekambi, Depay, Kadewere.

Monaco XI: Lecomte; Aguilar, Disasi, Badiashile, Sidibe; Tchouameni, Florentino, Fofana; Jovetic, Ben Yedder, Martins.

1-0 Lyon: Depay finishes after a nice set-up by Aouar. Just before Lopes had made a great save from a Fofana header. Entertaining start to this game.

2-0 Lyon. Kadewere puts in a great ball and Toko Ekambi controls it and finishes. Depay at the heart of the move. Bit harsh on Monaco as they've had good chances themselves.

3-0 Lyon from the spot. Toko Ekambi tripped by Sidibe after nice skill by Depay.

Wow 4-0 Lyon before the break. Toko Ekambi gets another after poor play from Badiashile. Have to say I've never quite understood the hype for Badiashile. Don't rate him besides his attacking threat at set-pieces.

Half-time and Monaco look out of it already. They were well in the game for the first half hour but capitulated near the end of the half. Depay has been brilliant and is pulling the strings. Aouar, Toko Ekambi and Kadewere also playing well while Lopes has made good stops. Lyon are great against teams that come at them and they can hit on the counter. If only they could do the business against teams that sit back and they'd be in the title mix.#

4-1 right at the start of the second half as Ben Yedder scores a pen after Diomande fouled Aguilar. Hard to see a comeback but they did need an early goal to have a chance of it and they got it.

Red card. Lyon sub Bard sent off. Absolute nonsense decision. He's went to kick the ball and missed it and barely brushed Aguilar. Don't get the point of having VAR and not using it to ask the ref to look at that again. Won't matter but it's stupid all the same.

Full-time and Lyon win 4-1 to go 6th. Enjoyable game, particularly the first half. Depay and Toko Ekambi the standouts. Monaco stay 12th.

Watched the Nantes/PSG game which Paris won 3-0. Herrera, Mbappe and Sarabia with the goals. Paris deserving winners but Nantes spurned great opportunities to get something. Kader Bamba had a poor pen saved by Navas, and Moses Simon had perhaps the miss of the season:

https://twitter.com/NandoChachalana/status/1322634641115926530

Sarabia's goal was a gift via a terrible backpass from Louza. Thought Mbappe's pen was a soft one. He later went off with a bit of discomfort and that will concern Tuchel for the Champions League game at Leipzig since Neymar is already injured.

In the earlier game, Rennes came from 1-0 down to win 2-1 against Brest. They move to third.

Looking forward to the evening game tomorrow as Lille host Lyon on BT Sport. A Lille win will send them level with Paris at the top, but a Lyon win moves them 4th. Lille are unbeaten so far this season but I think this could be the game where that run ends. Lyon tend to do well against teams that they can hit on the counter and they will likely have plenty of opportunities to do so in this game.

Sunday's results:
    St-Etienne 1-0 Montpellier
    Reims 2-1 Strasbourg
    Angers 0-3 Nice
    Nimes 0-1 Metz
    Dijon 0-0 Lorient
    Monaco 4-0 Bordeaux
    Lille 1-1 Lyon

I caught the last 20 minutes of the Lille/Lyon game. Marcelo got sent off for Lyon so it was all Lille for the final stages. Lopes made a great stop from Bamba, who earlier scored a lovely goal. Lyon's goal was an O.G. via a deflection. This result means Lille slip 2 points behind PSG, though they remain unbeaten. Lyon go 6th.

Monaco level with Lyon after their strong win. Volland got a brace in that game. Metz are also in that mix following their narrow victory. Surprised at how well they are doing.

Claude Puel looks in big trouble as St. Etienne lose for the 5th time in a row and it's the 2nd game in a row they haven't managed a shot on target. In contrast, Patrick Vieira doing well as Nice climb to 4th. Dijon still winless and bottom of the league, while Strasbourg are just above them after their loss.

Some exciting matches next week: PSG vs Rennes on Saturday, and on Sunday there's the Cote d'Azur derby as Nice host Monaco, followed by the Rhone derby as Lyon host St. Etienne.

• Advertisement
Advertisement