Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Agriculture attends 81-person golf event in breach of health guidelines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Liveline is a tough listen. People in real distress. One woman on now who lost her father on Wednesday morning from Covid.

Yes it is and these stories could be repeated thousands of times.

Imagine being in the same position. You can't even say goodbye. Then you must sit there and take it as the crowd in Galway do what they want.

Then you have to listen to the excuses and soundbites and pre prepared statements written by public relations gurus who presume you are stupid and will swallow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Liveline is a tough listen. People in real distress. One woman on now who lost her father on Wednesday morning from Covid.

A lot of people are raging about the funerals, my mother in law a staunch FF supporter was crying calling them bastard's about the golf gate the other night, she buried her brother a few weeks ago and had the job of picking who could and couldn't go into the church. They've no understanding of the hatred out there for them.

Covid is indeed a terrible tragedy for thousands of people, but broadcasters desperately trying to link their pain to the Golf dinner in Clifden is just gutter journalism. Phil Hogan broke the rules but no, he doesn't need to apologise to grieving families for their covid related loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Covid is indeed a terrible tragedy for thousands of people, but broadcasters desperately trying to link their pain to the Golf dinner in Clifden is just gutter journalism. Phil Hogan broke the rules but no, he doesn't need to apologise to grieving families for their covid related loss.

Well done on ignoring the connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I disagree. It's, at absolute minimum, questionable when considering the Journalistic code of conduct.

https://accountablejournalism.org/ethics-codes/irelands-national-union-of-journalists-code-of-conduct

Personally I think it's downright unethical
    Of course journalists are such paragon of virtue and honesty they should be placed on a pedestal where they can judge us all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Some people taking it to the extreme not visiting their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

This isn't the Phil Hogan thread, my guess is people are angry at legislators attending a great big hooley which flouted many regulations put in place by themselves (including cabinet minister and a supreme judge) to try and combat covid19, including numbers of people at indoor events, and localised lockdowns, which they didn't appear to think applied to them.

Puts the "we're all in this together" bullsh1t into perspective.

As for Phil Hogan, he's just an arrogant gombeen who seems to have waltzed into, then through the island like he owned the place, breaking numerous regulations and laws, then phucked off back to Brussels when the sh1t hit the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Good boy Enda positioning himself nicely in today’s Indo.

Sure you’d never know when a big job in Europe would become vacant!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Whilst that family were preparing to bury their dad who abided by all the measures, Hogan and his merry band of cohorts were preparing for their big piss up which broke the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

I think its very telling that the MSM and entire focus is now on Phil Hogan. We are missing the bigger picture entirely and the cynic in me says its been a deliberate misleading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

All in this together my arse. They're all in it together.

https://twitter.com/rteliveline/status/1297886508771418116?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

seamus wrote: »
    Assuming that the hotel were compliant, is not good enough.

If one thing has been clear throughout this, it's that everyone has a responsibility to ensure that THEY personally are compliant, and if they are not happy with a situation, to remove themselves from it. To not assume that compliance is someone else's problem.

It's not good enough to say, "My employer said they were compliant", "The hotel said they were compliant", "the shop said they were compliant", "my mammy said we were being compliant".

If someone organises a 50-person house party, it is not just their fault when fifty people turn up; all fifty of those people are equally in breach and equally at fault.

Likewise everyone who turned up at that dinner and said, "It's grand, the hotel said they were compliant", is at fault. This is a pandemic. Responsibility for your safety cannot be delegated to someone else.

This is not "cancel culture". This is a country that is sick to the back teeth of corruption, cronyism and cute hoorism. The same kind of corrupt "I'll do what I want" crap that made Barry Cowen think he could drive without a licence and evade a Garda checkpoint. The same kind of arrogant cute hoor crap that made Phil Hogan think, "Tis grand, none of the quarantine rules apply to me, and I'm allowed to use my phone while driving because I'll be grand".

And the same kind of stuff that led 81 people to attend a golf dinner thinking, "The compliance rules don't really apply to us, we're all important people."

Irish people are sick of it, the party leaderships have clearly realised this, but it seems to be taking some time for career politicians to accept it.

If the irish people were sick of it thousands wouldn't have turned up protesting about civil rights being violated when being asked to wear a face make during a pandemic.
    I think people are focusing on this wrong threat here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Relax Josey, it was tonhue in cheek fcs.

I already stated an "IF" in the post, I said IF irrefutable evidence comes to light that either Martin or Varadkar were in full knowledge of the event due to, and then going ahead despite knowing full well that it violated regulations, they drew up, and did not even attempt to prevent/stop it, then they need to be held to account also.

The buck doesn't stop with them?

Either LV and MM are the police or they are not.

What does "full knowledge" mean.?

Basically what your saying is MM and LV have a role to micromanage and police every event or issue they have some level of ill defined knowledge about

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Good boy Enda positioning himself nicely in today’s Indo.

Sure you’d never know when a big job in Europe would become vacant!!

I'd say he will bide his time until a vacancy turns up in the Aras. Mikey D isnt getting any younger. Enda is a home bird and would prefer to have the good life for a possible two terms rather than taking on work for the E.U.

Séan O'Rourke never to return to airwaves on RTE, according to Mary Wilson just now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Séan O'Rourke never to return to airwaves on RTE, according to Mary Wilson just now.

I heard they have tried to get Sean to do an interview but he refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Seems over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Sad end to his broadcast career to get mixed up in this messy and unfortunate business. Of all people who were in the room I would have thought he of all people should have known he shouldn't have been there.

He still has my respect (and I presume many others) respect as a journalist, but he has fatally undermined his ability to appear on the airwaves as a trusted broadcaster to the wider public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Good. His softball questions won't be missed by many.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Great news Aine Brady ceo third age(unavailable for comment) will redouble her efforts to continue to find positive outcomes for older people over the coming period.. Mighty alltogether

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,173 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yurt! wrote: »
    Sad end to his broadcast career to get mixed up in this messy and unfortunate business. Of all people who were in the room I would have thought he of all people should have known he shouldn't have been there.

He still has my respect (and I presume many others) respect as a journalist, but he has fatally undermined his ability to appear on the airwaves as a trusted broadcaster to the wider public.

I was a fan of O'Rourke too but I think he gets away without answering a question I would like asked.
    How many of these events did he attend during his active career and one for journalism in general: how often do journos attend these type of get togethers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sad about o'Rourke but if he wasnt prepared to go on air and explain himself then he left RTE management in a difficult position. Had he come back on radio in a couple of months as a contractor he would have had little credibility trying to hold politicians to account.

Would also like to know how common is it for political journalists to be attending piss ups with politicians. I remember the morning of Garglegate and Brian Cowen being drunk on radio David Davin Power tried to extinguish that story but Ursula Halligan of TV3 scooped him. The allegation was that Davin Power was drinking with the FF party in the hotel bar till 3am that morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,094 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sean O'Rourke's planned return to RTÉ cancelled by 'mutual decision' https://jrnl.ie/5184693

Seems pretty harsh but only himself to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

This is beginning to appeal to the nasty vindictive side in everyone.

O'Rourke was just a reporter tagging along to get an inside track on whatever. Hogan and His Judginess are at the top of the government food chain and should be held accountable because they are meant to be leaders - and are paid accordingly and should know better.

O'Rourke does not deserve to be judged by the same standards

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Terrible. I don't think the Government will survive this. The handling of the reopening of schools will finish it off.

Uriel. wrote: »
    Either LV and MM are the police or they are not.

What does "full knowledge" mean.?

Basically what your saying is MM and LV have a role to micromanage and police every event or issue they have some level of ill defined knowledge about

I'm wondering did either of them know pretty much full well about it all, and maybe that some phone calls were made to the effect "seriously, lads, this is a very bad idea, rather it wouldn't go ahead, not going to defend you if it goes pear-shaped". That's really about all I reckon they could have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Truthvader wrote: »

O'Rourke was just a reporter tagging along to get an inside track on whatever. Hogan and His Judginess are at the top of the government food chain and should be held accountable because they are meant to be leaders - and are paid accordingly and should know better.

Ah come off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,173 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Truthvader wrote: »

:D:D

O'Rourke had no credibility left to do a political show...how could he.

Falling on his sword like this is meant to garner sympathy and you fell for it. His show was toast when word of Clifden broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

gmisk wrote: »
    Sean O'Rourke's planned return to RTÉ cancelled by 'mutual decision' https://jrnl.ie/5184693

Seems pretty harsh but only himself to blame

Seems very harsh.
    Is the Moroccan Ambassador now going to be expelled? Are we now going to go down through the list and have everyone who attended the dinner removed from their jobs?

And then, will we start hanging around pubs with stopwatches and start targeting anyone who exceeds their 105 minutes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I'll shed no tear for Seanin, he'll land some job with fg when the dust settles, he'll survive

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement