Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Agriculture attends 81-person golf event in breach of health guidelines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭gifted

Wind has gone out of the sail regarding hogan.....he's probably safe now......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Yes many have to retire like that, but they don't automatically get a gig in the same organisation they retired from like SOR.

But I suppose I will be corrected, since he is a self employed contractor now. Handy that if you have connections with your former organisation and are a shoo in.

My mother had to retire as an Office Manager in an engineering firm at 65, but the company kept her on as a contractor for years after that, allowing her to work part time as she got older (and suffered health issues). It suited her fine. My Dad contracted part time for a year with his place after he took early retirement, but he wasn’t into it and it was more to help them out.

If the individual and the company are happy with the arrangement, and both benefit from it, then why not do it? I don’t listen to radio, but he seems to be a popular broadcaster. Why would RTE refuse to employ him just because of his age if he’s bringing in the listeners?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

gifted wrote: »

Thats the reason for the stalling in Dail and Brussels.
    Its a tricky one as if he goes disrubts EU agends.
    If he stays damages Irish political system forever...

• Registered Users Posts: 69,171 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Thats the reason for the stalling in Dail and Brussels.
    Its a tricky one as if he goes disrubts EU agends.
    If he stays damages Irish political system forever...

If he stays it is some challenge to the leadership of FG.

They will have to chuck him to have any shred of cred left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Great news Aine Brady ceo third age(unavailable for comment) will redouble her efforts to continue to find positive outcomes for older people over the coming period.. Mighty alltogether

And how does she propose to do that? We need details! :D

Sounds like Third Age is another charity which might need a closer look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Shelflife wrote: »
    I rarely get upset by these things, its usually a roll the eyes and sure what would you expect from from them from me, but this hit a cord. I got madder and madder as it unfolded twitter on Thurs night. So much sacrifice by people and they just drive a horse and cart through the regulations as if they dont apply to them.

I would like to see them ALL resign their seats and/or positions, they arent fit to hold public office !

So far DC has lost his ministerial position plus a few other posts he held, but what of the others ? Does Noel Grealish get away scot free with just an apology ? What price has he paid ? What of the others ?

TDs, Senators Judges should all step down and resign their seats, any of the others with semi state positions should also resign from them.

Hogan should step down as well.

Its gone too far, this is the straw that has broke the camels back for me anyway.

The arrogance/stupidity/lack of empathy shown is astounding ! Its time we stood up to them and demanded higher standards !

And Hogan has the audacity to reduce it to 'it seems to have struck a nerve' with the Irish people! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I was a fan of O'Rourke too but I think he gets away without answering a question I would like asked.
    How many of these events did he attend during his active career and one for journalism in general: how often do journos attend these type of get togethers

Exactly. For me the virus has exposed alot of grubby things about our country I was not aware of such as the meat plant workers not paying taxes in Ireland. These are serious items that I feel like have not been addressed or chased up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

smurgen wrote: »
    Exactly. For me the virus has exposed alot of grubby things about our country I was not aware of such as the meat plant workers not paying taxes in Ireland. These are serious items that I feel like have not been addressed or chased up on.

That's under an EU directive, that ain't going to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Exactly. The lads in Whackers Pub Golf Society might meet up with a lad who will fix them up with a second hand car or does a good deal in weather glazing.
    The Oireachtas lads are lining up far bigger deals.
    Cushy jobs down the line, an oul internship for the daughter in Brussels, a whisper on a property deal in Marrakesh etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

gifted wrote: »

Does it? It's only earlier today the commission spokesperson was fielding some hard questions about this.
    Hogan staying is a gift to more the Eurosceptic pundits (and it's not just the UK that has those) because it is a genuine example of Eurocrats being unaccountable, dishonest and considering themselves above their lessere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I'd be more concerned about the living and working conditions of these people rather than their tax arrangements. Same as with the direct provision centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

kippy wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned about the living and working conditions of these people rather than their tax arrangements. Same as with the direct provision centres.

The thing is I fail to see how anyone is a winner in this arrangement. The Exchequer and the workers are losers here. Ireland is polluted, our carbon emissions are added to. We're effectively subsiding with no real cost benefit analysis done for the country. How was this allowed to develop? I'd even wonder do the individuals registered as companies in Poland working in the meat plants here filter into our employment stats to make those look more impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Does it? It's only earlier today the commission spokesperson was fielding some hard questions about this.
    Hogan staying is a gift to more the Eurosceptic pundits (and it's not just the UK that has those) because it is a genuine example of Eurocrats being unaccountable, dishonest and considering themselves above their lessere
    Don't forget it was also discussed on the floor seemingly for at least 20 minutes as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

Are you assuming that everybody else around the table are squeaky clean !

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40036922.html

I see Fergus Finley has decided he can speak for the whole country by stating "no-one wants an election"
    Is it that he does not know what he is talking about or trying to circle the wagons around his friends.
    He is talking utter nonscence as he says these people do not care about us and we should keep them in office.
    I certainly want these people who attended this shindig put before the people very soon.
    They could resign their seats and have by election if General election deemed not necessary.
    I would also want the County Councillors to do the same as there was a few of them there.

The whole political sphere seems to me to be a bit like I regard the Football League (I'm not a follower, so please forgive any incorrect terminology) in the UK. There are (say) 52 clubs in the leagues and 51 managers. Every now and then, the music starts and when it stops, the managers have all moved around a bit.

Here, if you lose your TD's seat, you get appointed to the Seanad, or become a County Councillor, and get a nice little add on post to top up the earnings and expenses. Now I'm not talking about all politicians, some I have known genuinely want to add value and make a difference. But it does appear that once you're in, you can stay in, come what may

The thing is I fail to see how anyone is a winner in this arrangement. The Exchequer and the workers are losers here. Ireland is polluted, our carbon emissions are added to. We're effectively subsiding with no real cost benefit analysis done for the country. How was this allowed to develop? I'd even wonder do the individuals registered as companies in Poland working in the meat plants here filter into our employment stats to make those look more impressive.

This was part of the problem with Ryanair dispute last year where there were people from all over Europe working on Irish contracts.
    I do agree that its not right and said so here at the time.The EU should insiist that contracts are where people work and live.
    At the time people here were blaming O'Leary but it is his job to run the business and Government job to create employment rules and Ryanair/Meat processers will have to abide by same...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40036922.html

I see Fergus Finley has decided he can speak for the whole country by stating "no-one wants an election"
    Is it that he does not know what he is talking about or trying to circle the wagons around his friends.
    Did you read the article or just the headline?
    Here's the last few lines of the article:
    The three of them should lock themselves in a large (socially distanced) room for a day, if that’s what it takes, to forge a plan that will be communicated openly and honestly to all of us.

If they can’t do that, they should go. Nobody wants an election. An election isn’t in the national interest.

But no national interest is being served by this shambles.

Fix it, or bring it on.

He's saying nobody wants an election if it can be avoided because we're in the middle of a pandemic.
    He's also saying that the current government need to get their sh1t together or call an election. Because even though nobody wants an election, it's a better option than the government stumbling along on their current trajectory.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

seamus wrote: »

Looks like they didn't even read all of the headline.

In some places, personal responsibility and accountability for breach of anti-covid measure is taken very seriously up to and including incurring a jail sentence:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-25/woman-who-snuck-into-wa-on-truck-handed-six-month-jail-sentence/12592832

'Magistrate Andrew Matthews described Vander Sanden's actions as "a very serious offence", saying they undermined what Western Australia had done to prevent community spread of "this hideous virus".'

• Advertisement

Here's the last few lines of the article:

He's saying nobody wants an election if it can be avoided because we're in the middle of a pandemic.
    He's also saying that the current government need to get their sh1t together or call an election. Because even though nobody wants an election, it's a better option than the government stumbling along on their current trajectory.[/QUO

"Two things are abundantly clear after Clifden. First, the people who attended that dinner were not there because they didn’t know. They were there because they didn’t care.
    Even their apologies sound smug — a sort of aristocratic noblesse oblige, where the entitled recognise that the ordinary folk might be a bit upset. They’re an absolute disgrace, the whole bloody lot of them."

This is from the article.Then he says there are two options allow these gombeens run our country or have an election.
    That is total rubbish as was the general spin of the article.

He wants the Government to forgive these guys for breaking the ruled or have an election.
    He cnnot say nobody wants an election unless he thinks he is God and knows everybodys mind.
    I did not see where he wrote that we cannot have an election because of Covid, i will read again.
    I actually agree with this so an all-party Government be the only option until possible to have an election..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Breaking news from European Commision coming up after the break on CB Radio 1

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

sligojoek wrote: »
    Breaking news from European Commision coming up after the break on CB Radio 1

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1298201378951749632?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

Whatever about 'I want a report of your conduct', the 'publish your timeline of movements' is a clear shot at Phil.

Its saying "you're not going to hide behind your EU role here; you need to account to the Irish electorate about your conduct".

• Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

at least there is one politician with a pair of balls who won't take nonsense from Hogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

at least there is one politician with a pair of balls who won't take nonsense from Hogan.

She's also protecting the EU in this. Member State politicians can't be running to Brussels screaming "Sanctuary, Sanctuary!"

tigger123 wrote: »
    Whatever about 'I want a report of your conduct', the 'publish your timeline of movements' is a clear shot at Phil.

Its saying "you're not going to hide behind your EU role here; you need to account to the Irish electorate about your conduct".

There is a clear message there for Michael Leo and Eamonn.
    The Irish people should demand the same from our leaders...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

They must have clear evidence Hogan is telling tall tales. Nobody wants a liar in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

tigger123 wrote: »
    She's also protecting the EU in this. Member State politicians can't be running to Brussels screaming "Sanctuary, Sanctuary!"

of course she is. i would expect nothing less from her. MM should be doing the same for ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

They must have clear evidence Hogan is telling tall tales. Nobody wants a liar in charge.

The lies and lies the EU spokespeople repeated on his behalf - it is this that will be his downfall, if he is to fall. From what I've read (Tony Connelly), she doesn't have a suite of sanctions - it's stay or go.

He's already sent her two pieces of paper and she is obviously very unsatsified with that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement