Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Agriculture attends 81-person golf event in breach of health guidelines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭blackwhite

In his statement Mr Hogan said that after being admitted to hospital for a medical intervention on August 5 he tested negatively for Covid-19.

"As I had received a negative Covid-19 test while in hospital, I was not under any subsequent legal requirement to self-isolate or quarantine."

This is from an article i just tead in the Examiner.
    Correct me if i am wrong but my understanding is people must self-isolate for 2 week period after being abroad.
    I was of the opinion that because Covid has a 14 day incubation period being a person could transmit even though they may not being infected themselves. I was out of the Country and this is what i did on return, someone suggested i get tested and i said that quarintine was 2 weeks regardless.
    He seems to think once tested negative free to do as he pleases.
    I think Phil Hogan is wrong on this one?
    What's the view here...

Both you and Hogan are wrong on this one actually.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020-travelling-to-ireland-from-a-country-that-is-not-on-the-covid-19-travel-advice-list/

When entering from a country that not on the Green list you are required to fill in a Passenger Locator Form - but you are only requested to restrict your movements for 14 days.

There's not mention anywhere of the request to restrict movements being lifted in the case of a negative test - but even then the rules as to what "restrict your movement" actually mean are a joke.
    The request to restrict your movement means:
    • do not use public transport if possible. If you have no option but to use public transport, you must wear a face covering. The wearing of a face covering is required by law when using public transport, unless you have a diagnosed medical reason
    • do not visit others
    • do not meet face-to-face with anyone who is at higher risk from COVID-19
    • do not go to the shop unless absolutely necessary. If you have no option but to go to the shop, you must wear a face covering. The wearing of a face covering is required by law when using public transport (unless you have a reason as listed here)

Under the actual requirements though, is something that might trip Hogan up.

You are required to update the form and send to the Dept any time in the 14 days that you will be staying somewhere different to what was on your original form. I wonder did he do this part?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Thanks for clarity, i suppose i because i wanted to respect the danger of Covid took request as requirement.
    On reading what he said after reading your reply there was thought put into the quote.
    I would not be too worried about myself but would not run-around as i be afraid of passing it on.

Love the user name, you must be perfect...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭gifted

Hogan won't trip up in the interview....he's going no where....people like him never get found out.

Only way he might...might ..leave is if Martin and varadkar "persuade " hogans boss that he has to go.....

gifted wrote: »
    Only way he might...might ..leave is if Martin and varadkar "persuade " hogans boss that he has to go.....

I don’t think they have the “influence”.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

In his statement Mr Hogan said that after being admitted to hospital for a medical intervention on August 5 he tested negatively for Covid-19.

"As I had received a negative Covid-19 test while in hospital, I was not under any subsequent legal requirement to self-isolate or quarantine."

This is from an article i just tead in the Examiner.
    Correct me if i am wrong but my understanding is people must self-isolate for 2 week period after being abroad.
    I was of the opinion that because Covid has a 14 day incubation period being a person could transmit even though they may not being infected themselves. I was out of the Country and this is what i did on return, someone suggested i get tested and i said that quarintine was 2 weeks regardless.
    He seems to think once tested negative free to do as he pleases.
    I think Phil Hogan is wrong on this one?
    What's the view here...

There is also the issue that the test has a high false negative rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Chiparus wrote: »
    There is also the issue that the test has a high false negative rate.

It's an issue, but not one for Hogan or for von der Leyen.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hogan won't trip up in the interview....he's going no where....people like him never get found out.

If the report ticks all the boxes for his boss then that will be the end of it. I'm not sure they want to, they just wanted to express their ire and to be on the right side of the public protestations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Bloody hell, he forgot he visited Roscommon as well, tisn't easy to remember where you've been that long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The EU aren't going to fire him over this. That's a guarantee.

It'll be another few days before Ursula comes back, letting the heat of the moment dissipate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Danzy wrote: »

It'll be another few days before Ursula comes back, letting the heat of the moment dissipate.

Okeydokey Danzy, thanks for sharing that insider knowledge with all of us.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

You may prove to be correct, I wouldn't be surprised if Ursula got in his ear, told him to allow himself be interviewed and it would be a mitigating factor in his favour. No way did big Phil put himself through that to sate the Irish prole's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Jizique

School back tomorrow, Dail back next week

Okeydokey Danzy, thanks for sharing that insider knowledge with all of us.

I think he should be but it's obvious he won't, the will isn't even remotely there.

It's not insider information, it's very obvious.

Do you honestly think Ursula is even considering it?

Jizique wrote: »
    School back tomorrow, Dail back next week

Covid 19 cases to skyrocket, public anger to follow suit.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

I think he should be but it's obvious he won't, the will isn't even remotely there.

Do you honestly think Ursula is even considering it?[/QUOTE]

Yes I honestly do, I think she is trying to be fair and transparent and if she is then he's gone. No if's, no but's.

Do you honestly think Ursula is even considering it?[/QUOTE]

Yes I honestly do, I think she is trying to be fair and transparent and if she is then he's gone. No if's, no but's.

I'll give a 100 quid to a charity and put the receipt up if he is gone.

There was enough a few days ago if they wanted to hold him to account. Going through the process is all that is happening now.

It's not even subtle.

If you believe that there is even a 1% chance he'll go then there is nothing to do but let you at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

Ursula is as corrupt as any of ours, no way is she firing him.

There was enough a few days ago if they wanted to hold him to account. Going through the process is all that is happening now.

It's not even subtle.

If you believe that there is even a 1% chance he'll go then there is nothing to do but let you at it.

That's very genourous of you Danzy, I'm not much of a gambling man but what I'll do is I'll cover half of that if he's gone and it's a worthy Irish cause.

For me the ball is firmly in MM and Leo area st the moment.
    Hogan told Ursula that he fallowed Irish rules.
    I am guessing it arrangement he said he face Irish people with what he told her.
    According to what the HSE said per RTE news he did not.
    Its up to Irish politicians to clarify to Ursula if he fallowed rules, in my opinion as she unlikely to know.
    Will the people who said "consider your position" fallow through.
    If not he safe...

For me the ball is firmly in MM and Leo area st the moment.
    Hogan told Ursula that he fallowed Irish rules.
    I am guessing it arrangement he said he face Irish people with what he told her.
    According to what the HSE said per RTE news he did not.
    Its up to Irish politicians to clarify to Ursula if he fallowed rules, in my opinion as she unlikely to know.
    Will the people who said "consider your position" fallow through.
    If not he safe...

You're breaking up......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

golfball37 wrote: »
    Ursula is as corrupt as any of ours, no way is she firing him.
    Why, what has she done?

You're breaking up......

Personally i do not care as it is up to the rulemakers.
    At this stage he likely stay as he represents what we about...

Personally i do not care as it is up to the rulemakers.
    At this stage he likely stay as he represents what we about...

Speak for yourself, he doesn't represent me or any of the people I know.

He is actually despised by every single person I've listened to when discussing politics.

Speak for yourself, he doesn't represent me or any of the people I know.

He is actually despised by every single person I've listened to when discussing politics.

Well i am not breaking up as you suggest??
    If you despise politics whats the point in posting on same...

Well i am not breaking up as you suggest??

You're gone again.

(bit of banter, that's all dude.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

It's not even subtle.

yep. only small bit of solace is that he will probably remain as the most hated man in ireland for a very long time. its a small place and that small golden circle is limited. it will be difficult for him here for the forseeable.

the only decent thing left to do is for him to be expelled from the party, which is in Leo's hands...but that's not going to happen either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Barbeapapa

Who else thinks that John Sweeney, owner of the Clifden Station House and sitter at one of the tables on the night in question, will have lost a few well placed supporters over this? (I believe staff - who have been warned not to say a word - were working in the station house til the wee hours. Not for their clientele the 11pm cut off point for drinks)

Also, they all did SOMETHING on the Tuesday night....(Phil played golf on Tuesday too, did he sit in and have room service?) So where was that and why not the fuss?

I agree that the Phil Hogan (well deserved and earned) witch hunt is deflecting from other party goers and other issues.

Barbeapapa wrote: »
    Who else thinks that John Sweeney, owner of the Clifden Station House and sitter at one of the tables on the night in question, will have lost a few well placed supporters over this? (I believe staff - who have been warned not to say a word - were working in the station house til the wee hours. Not for their clientele the 11pm cut off point for drinks)

Also, they all did SOMETHING on the Tuesday night....(Phil played golf on Tuesday too, did he sit in and have room service?) So where was that and why not the fuss?

I agree that the Phil Hogan (well deserved and earned) witch hunt is deflecting from other party goers and other issues.

What they did at night.... would be an ecunamuinical matter....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thats exactly what they are doing with the release of this statement 15 minutes ago. The heat in the kitchen has been cranked up considerably. The EU Commission might be independent but it is also dependent on nation states through soft power which the 3 amigoes have exercised tonight. von der Leyen is in an impossible situation now.

EgStgDnXkA0t0YV?format=jpg&name=medium

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement