Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Agriculture attends 81-person golf event in breach of health guidelines

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Big Phil, master negotiator is explaining again...

https://twitter.com/PhilHoganEU/status/1298358481934864385?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Sir Oxman wrote: »

He's goosed.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

You can be sure that “clarification “ is for Ursula,not us peasants....
    Has he fessed up to her about travelling to Limerick and Roscommon,or is another statement/explanation on the way??
    She must be thinking,”talk about making a long story longer”;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thats exactly what they are doing with the release of this statement 15 minutes ago. The heat in the kitchen has been cranked up considerably. The EU Commission might be independent but it is also dependent on nation states through soft power which the 3 amigoes have exercised tonight. von der Leyen is in an impossible situation now.

EgStgDnXkA0t0YV?format=jpg&name=medium

So now its Irish Government v Irish Comissioner with Ursula referee.
    I think Phil will have plenty of time for golf.
    I did not think they have balls to go all the way but i suppose no choice after interview...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

That tweet from Hogan has disappeared now! What did it say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭appledrop

Oops! wrote: »

He basicially said in tweet that he never said that he went against/ didnt agree with HSE advice but thats exactly what he did!!!

FFS Phil we all seen your interview! You basically said that what you read on citizen information pageins right + anything else including the actual HSE guidelines for people travelling from overseas is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

appledrop wrote: »
    He basicially said in tweet that he never said that he went against/ didnt agree with HSE advice but thats exactly what he did!!!

FFS Phil we all seen your interview! You basically said that what you read on citizen information pageins right + anything else including the actual HSE guidelines for people travelling from overseas is wrong.

Some ape.... His own arrogance is his down fall... Like alot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Tweet unavailable?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Chiparus wrote: »
    Tweet unavailable?

Deleted, and then reposted with replies locked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

blackwhite wrote: »
    Deleted, and then reposted with replies locked

Stupid strategy to block the replies. Just raises suspicions. I guess he doesn't want our fellow Europeans seeing the comments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Barbeapapa wrote: »
    Who else thinks that John Sweeney, owner of the Clifden Station House and sitter at one of the tables on the night in question, will have lost a few well placed supporters over this? (I believe staff - who have been warned not to say a word - were working in the station house til the wee hours. Not for their clientele the 11pm cut off point for drinks)

Also, they all did SOMETHING on the Tuesday night....(Phil played golf on Tuesday too, did he sit in and have room service?) So where was that and why not the fuss?

I agree that the Phil Hogan (well deserved and earned) witch hunt is deflecting from other party goers and other issues.

Sweeney is a ruthless businessman and employer from all accounts. Quite the bully.

There were other smaller functions in Clifden that week in other hotels. More information will come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Oops! wrote: »

This deleting of tweets is getting very popular. Ever Miniskirt Martina is at it. Why the long face?

I expect the UK are having a good laugh at the EU. It seems they may be right if the chief trade negotiator does not the simple Covid rules that every child 12+ in Europe knows.
    It seems a perticular problem Ursula has is the Trade negotiator be better from one of the smaller EU countries as Countries like Germany have vested interest in this job, i expect some of the smaller countries not have experience in negotiation in English on the world stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I expect the UK are having a good laugh at the EU. It seems they may be right if the chief trade negotiator does not the simple Covid rules that every child 12+ in Europe knows.
    It seems a perticular problem Ursula has is the Trade negotiator be better from one of the smaller EU countries as Countries like Germany have vested interest in this job, i expect some of the smaller countries not have experience in negotiation in English on the world stage.

is he the chief trade negotiator for brexit? I dont think he is on the brexit negotiation team at all. he has been involved primarily with negotiations with china. and i dont think anybody in the UK government can point fingers about breaking lockdown rules. Phil could just tell them he drove to clifden to check his eyesight.

Here comes the old Irish inferiority complex coming through. "What will the Brits think?"

Edgware wrote: »
    Here comes the old Irish inferiority complex coming through. "What will the Brits think?"

You picked that one wrong, we pander to US now and have done for years.
    The brits are gone from EU, they may be right if whats going now is normal practice.
    It seems our man is one of their best people and look at the blunder he made.

I do not see the Brexit as the big deal for EU but it is a big deal for Ireland, with Covid, China, and the meat deal with South America are bigger trade deals.
    The big thing with UK for me be fishing rules...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

So Irish times are reporting

A member of the public saw big Phil in a restaurant the night he arrived over from Brussels

And he never listed Roscommon on his timeline that he gave his boss yesterday

He’s his own worst enemy at this stage

It's all "Phil's Retrospective Fairytale" at this stage. During his escapade of living it up in Ireland it seems he experienced a symptom that had to be checked out (very possibly an angiogram to rule out/stent serious heart blockage) and of course the hospital were obliged to rule out Covid as a factor as far as they could. So it was by chance he got this test, if he had not dr sloped the twinge or whatever it was, he would not have got that test. Now retrospectively he uses it as a false excuse as to why he considered himself free to do what he liked, which he was going to do anyway had he not been interrupted briefly and coincidentally by a potential medical issue. He thought he had a trump card of convenience here.

A member of the public saw big Phil in a restaurant the night he arrived over from Brussels

tick tock tick tock. He has to go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Brian Hayes needs to go to. Rumours that his guests were from from Vulture Fund Promontoria.

https://twitter.com/1paulmcel/status/1298368214825672710?s=19

• Advertisement

Brian Hayes needs to go to. Rumours that his guests were from from Vulture Fund Promontoria.

Where do you want him to go? He is a private citizen employed by a non public entity.
    Did he break any criminal laws that could result in prosecution? You might as well be asking the waiters to resign

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

Finally Paddy is asking the right questions. The Hogan witch hunt is to distract from how politics is done here hoping it will be business as usual. I’m sure people struggling with rent in Dublin care more about this than Phil Hogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

Where do you want him to go? He is a private citizen employed by a non public entity.
    Did he break any criminal laws that could result in prosecution? You might as well be asking the waiters to resign

Same as Phil Hogan. It’s up to his boss. I have a serious problem with an ex politician giving access to lawmakers to vulture funds when we have a housing crisis. I don’t have a problem with a European Commissioner going around the country once he was confirmed negative for c19.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1298522923188260864?s=19

He has made an absolute hames of this.
    I wonder if this was in his 20 page doc to Ursula?

golfball37 wrote: »
    Finally Paddy is asking the right questions. The Hogan witch hunt is to distract from how politics is done here hoping it will be business as usual. I’m sure people struggling with rent in Dublin care more about this than Phil Hogan.

Yes but Hogan must go first. Once he is gone the Domino effect brings them all down right down to the gombeen councillors who are actually the closest to everyday people and should have shown solidarity and not gone to Galway.

He needs to resign and measures brought it in that prohibit lobbying by former TDs.

He's not the only one. Two notable ones from the past are John Bruton and Dick Roche.

They sold inside info on how the system works to enrich themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,123 ✭✭✭✭elperello

He needs to resign and measures brought it in that prohibit lobbying by former TDs.

He's not the only one. Two notable ones from the past are John Bruton and Dick Roche.

They sold inside info on how the system works to enrich themselves.

I agree with you that the revolving door system needs more scrutiny but you are jumping the gun calling for Hayes's "resignation" based on rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Where is the narrative that we need Hogan to stay as commissioner coming from, and do people seriously think that he has metamorphosed from the gombeen minister that oversaw the Household charges and Water charges fiascos (the Water charge debacle was the single greatest waste of public money in the history of the state) into some whizz kid international negotiator that the World can’t live without. FFS. He was dispatched at the earliest possible moment to the EU retirement home, on a nice jolly to lead him nicely into retirement while playing golf free gratis on the finest golf courses across the EU. He certainly has a good PR machine (including Jim O’Callaghan) putting out the batsh1t crazy idea that we need him there and lord knows what everlasting disasters may befall us should he be forced out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    do people seriously think that he has metamorphosed from the gombeen minister that oversaw the Household charges and Water charges fiascos (the Water charge debacle was the single greatest waste of public money in the history of the state) into some whizz kid international negotiator that the World can’t live without.

Great line! :D

But he is our better and a member of the elite. We cant live without him!!

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    I agree with you that the revolving door system needs more scrutiny but you are jumping the gun calling for Hayes's "resignation" based on rumour.

Maybe but it's well known he lobbies for Vultures.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement