Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Agriculture attends 81-person golf event in breach of health guidelines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,123 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Maybe but it's well known he lobbies for Vultures.

Of course he is a "hired gun".

If they were his guests at the dinner it will come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Hayes spent years working for the banks whilst in power against the will of the irish electorate. In a weird way i respect him for fooling so many for so long and then landing the big pay day job without much fuss or media coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Brian Hayes needs to go to. Rumours that his guests were from from Vulture Fund Promontoria.

https://twitter.com/1paulmcel/status/1298368214825672710?s=19

Kinda separate but i will mention.
    I was talking to an EA about these vulture funds buying up whole developments around the beginning of year when apartments at Liffey Valley were sold. I said i was unhappy with this and generally was interested in what his opinion was.
    He said "you dont know the half of it and your better off not knowing"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Allinall

Hayes spent years working for the banks whilst in power against the will of the irish electorate. In a weird way i respect him for fooling so many for so long and then landing the big pay day job without much fuss or media coverage.

Would this electorate be the same one that repeatedly voted him into the Dail, Seanad and European Parliament?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Allinall wrote: »
    Would this electorate be the same one that repeatedly voted him into the Dail, Seanad and European Parliament?

Was Hayes elected to the Seanad or nominated? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Allinall

Was Hayes elected to the Seanad or nominated? ;)

Nominated first time.

Elected ( no idea by which body) the second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Allinall wrote: »
    Nominated first time.

Elected ( no idea by which body) the second time.

cultural and educational panel. so basically elected by his party's TDs and county councilors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

The people had the opportunity to abolish the Senate and decided not to. Many of the political parties who wanted it to be abolished were quick to jump back in there when Dail seats were lost

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Edgware wrote: »
    The people had the opportunity to abolish the Senate and decided not to. Many of the political parties who wanted it to be abolished were quick to jump back in there when Dail seats were lost

I seem to recall there was supposed to be reform of the Seanad as promised by a party currently in govt.

The problem is not that the Seanad exists - it is there to provide oversight of the Dáil and scrutinise legislation which no one can deny is fairly important - the problem is it is used as a way station for failed G.E candidates and politicians have too much control over who becomes a senator.

This person voted to keep it because I believe proposed legislation needs to be challenged and scrutinised outside the confines of the Dáil. I await FG carrying out the promised reforms and stop kicking the can down the road- enacting the 7th Amendment as voted on in 1979 would be a good place to start. It is beyond ridiculous that successive governments can simply ignore the results of a referendum for over 40 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I seem to recall there was supposed to be reform of the Seanad as promised by a party currently in govt.

The problem is not that the Seanad exists - it is there to provide oversight of the Dáil and scrutinise legislation which no one can deny is fairly important - the problem is it is used as a way station for failed G.E candidates and politicians have too much control over who becomes a senator.

This person voted to keep it because I believe proposed legislation needs to be challenged and scrutinised outside the confines of the Dáil. I await FG carrying out the promised reforms and stop kicking the can down the road- enacting the 7th Amendment as voted on in 1979 would be a good place to start. It is beyond ridiculous that successive governments can simply ignore the results of a referendum for over 40 years.

Great post.

I believe FFG plan to commission another report on Seanad reform...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

Great post.

I believe FFG plan to commission another report on Seanad reform...;)

And the circle continues....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes but Hogan must go first. Once he is gone the Domino effect brings them all down right down to the gombeen councillors who are actually the closest to everyday people and should have shown solidarity and not gone to Galway.

That's wishful thinking. If Danzy is wrong, and Hogan does end up going, that will be the end of it. In an ideal world, post covid, Leo and Micheal would insist on an inquiry to look at some of the shady practices that have come to light during this pandemic, but that won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Shane Phelan wrote in an article in today's Indo that it would be very difficult for Séamus Woulfe to resume works as a barrister because the Bar Council's code of conduct precludes retired judges from practising in a court equal to or less than the one in which they presided.

Harry Whelehan was granted an exemption after he resigned as a judge two days into his tenure. So I don't see how the Bar Council would not also grant Woulfe an exemption if he resigns as a judge. Whelehan never got the opportunity to adjudicate on a case and, as far as I know, Woulfe hasn't had the opportunity to do so either. Therefore, I don't think the reason mentioned (concerning the case of Sir James O'Connor in 1930) on the third page of the following document, which is the judgement on the challenge taken by former judge Barry White, applies in Woulfe's case.

https://scoirl.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/white-v-bar-council-220716-delivered-judgment.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I see an article in the Examiner where MM said "I think he has undermined the whole approach to public health in Ireland"
    I wonder has he forgotton that the cause of all of this was the Oireachtas golf dinner and most peope who attended were politicians or important friends of politicians.There were quite a few from the party he leads. Is he saying once Hogan sorted out its history.
    I think it likely change the political landscape forever, it was always us v them and now have confirmed they are all in together except SF. They have proved to be totally inept except there was a bit of chattering last night but only after Hogan went on TV...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

At this stage the barman who was working that night is the last man standing:) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Danzy wrote: »

I'll give a 100 quid to a charity and put the receipt up if he is gone.

There was enough a few days ago if they wanted to hold him to account. Going through the process is all that is happening now.

It's not even subtle.

If you believe that there is even a 1% chance he'll go then there is nothing to do but let you at it.

Think you need to step up to the plate now Danzy. Instead of a charity I recommend sending a €100 One4all voucher with a thank you card to Ursula von der Leyen, Brussels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The rest of the Clifden crowd will be pooing themselves now.
    If an EU Commisioner can go to the wall, what chance do those piss-ants have?

• Advertisement

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29206e8057d0e3207421b34f21039d41b0cc7d6280&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The rest of the Clifden crowd will be pooing themselves now.
    If an EU Commisioner can go to the wall, what chance do those piss-ants have?
    Most of those who might have been in the spotlight have already gone. It doesn't look like there's too much left in the story now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Ha, ha. Delighted.

Pick a good Irish cause Danzy.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

is_that_so wrote: »
    Most of those who might have been in the spotlight have already gone. It doesn't look like there's too much left in the story now.

Oh there is a few more alright.

Oh there is a few more alright.
    Like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭gifted

gifted wrote: »
    Hogan will get a slap on the wrist but no way is he been Sacked or resigning.......he's laughing at us all.....

I was spot on .....lol lol

gifted wrote: »
    I was spot on .....lol lol
    If his original tale had been true ....

is_that_so wrote: »
    Like?

Donie Cassidy's table mates.

Ha, ha. Delighted.

Pick a good Irish cause Danzy.

Friends of The Oireachtas Benevolent Fund

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Donie Cassidy's table mates.
    And Paudge Connolly and Donagh Kililea too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement