Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Agriculture attends 81-person golf event in breach of health guidelines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Yes, they've closed two threads on Woulfe now and this thread has gone quiet.

Woulfe and Hayes still in place, very strange

I do not understand this comment.
    Which thread you talking about.

Back to this one.
    Does anyone think if Hogan had stayed in ireland he would survive.
    It may not have got the world attention if he stayed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

She's an absolute weapon. I wouldn't pay much notice to anything she spouts tbh

Fill me in. I know nothing about her, she has been retweeted a lot during this scandal and I thought the thread above gives a useful timeline of what Woulfe has has been at.

This is maybe to distract from. Woulfe and Hayes
    https://twitter.com/caulmick/status/1299225727842365440?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭josip

Fingers fingleton was involved back in 1987

At the time it was called the "Army-Garda-Press-Oireachteas" Challenge cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Now that the outrage has been satisified, Micheal and Leo will keen to get back to business as usual. The media will soon move on to another story. It was interesting Micheal in his six-one interview was very keen to maintain the separation of politics and the Judiciary, hence why he could not possibly comment on whether Seamus should resign for his presence at the dinner, yet he does not seemingly mind that separation being brought into question by Seamus attending dinners with politicians. Anyone who thinks there will be "slow burn reform" arising from this get together is being naive.

• Advertisement

Now that the outrage has been satisified, Micheal and Leo will keen to get back to business as usual. The media will soon move on to another story. It was interesting Micheal in his six-one interview was very keen to maintain the separation of politics an the Judicary, hence why he could not possibly comment on whether Seamus should resign for his presence at the dinner, yet he does not seemingly mind that separation being brought into question by Seamus attending dinners with politicians. Anyone who think there will be "slow burn reform" arising from this get together is being naive.

When is Susan Denhams report on Woulfe due?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

You'll be the first to know

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Not until October she said

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

anybody there argue that it was ok (without depending on IHF)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

anybody there argue that it was ok (without depending on IHF)?

I think the rules are ridiculous but that’s a different issue. Enda Kenny and Dick Spring knew it was a problem so a lot more attendees deserve a bit more scrutiny or a fine etc

• Advertisement

Michael Barnier is the chief negotiator for Brexit
    Hogan was trade commissioner.
    Different jobs

I did not say he was Brexit nogotiator but in do expect if he was there he would be asked for advise based on his knowledge.
    I said he made a laughing stock of himself and us by not behaving himself...

golfball37 wrote: »
    I think the rules are ridiculous but that’s a different issue. Enda Kenny and Dick Spring knew it was a problem so a lot more attendees deserve a bit more scrutiny or a fine etc

Intellegence v arrogance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I did not say he was Brexit nogotiator but in do expect if he was there he would be asked for advise based on his knowledge.
    I said he made a laughing stock of himself and us by not behaving himself...

He may well have been asked his opinion from time to time. Maybe over dinner. That's as far as it goes

He may well have been asked his opinion from time to time. Maybe over dinner. That's as far as it goes

Thats what i said.

Thats what i said.

People in other European countries who read the news regarding the resignations and the fall out in Ireland probably are under the illusion that our political and business elite are held to account.

We know that is a million miles from reality and that this shīt fest was just a blip in the best little country to do business in.

People in other European countries who read the news regarding the resignations and the fall out in Ireland probably are under the illusion that our political and business elite are held to account.

We know that is a million miles from reality and that this shīt fest was just a blip in the best little country to do business in.

Good article in the FT (available through google news) that makes exactly that point

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

golfball37 wrote: »

Clarity on rules and guidelines is important.

Is it clear exactly why EK and DS left?

Agree re. scrutiny but afaik no fine is applicable to attendees.

Good article in the FT (available through google news) that makes exactly that point

https://www.ft.com/content/bc43d105-c594-4aa6-9c09-6513f4c3f349

Is this it?

That’s the one, as I say I just found it on the Google News app and could reread it without any bother. By this, I mean on google dot ie, in the corner the news button. Hope it works for you

That’s the one, as I say I just found it on the Google News app and could reread it without any bother. Hope it works for you

I read it from Google news too. Thought I could share the link. I thought wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

That’s the one, as I say I just found it on the Google News app and could reread it without any bother. By this, I mean on google dot ie, in the corner the news button. Hope it works for you
    Good to know you can get to some subscription-based articles that way. I never knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

(Modsnip - don't post links to private groups please )

The above from the Connemara Facebook page make interesting reading

• Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

(Modsnip)

The above from the Connemara Facebook page make interesting reading[/QUOTE]

Maybe for yourself and other members of the group.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

So what's the jist of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Barbeapapa

The Connemara News fb page is not used, in general, by right minded, progressive thinking individuals. It may be used by those who are looking for a bit of scandal but I believe it is sensational rather than factual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Rumour has it that Frank Fahey (FF) won the 7 million lotto jackpot. Ticket was bought in Clifden. Locals are thrilled for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

juno10353 wrote: »
    (Modsnip - don't post links to private groups please )

The above from the Connemara Facebook page make interesting reading

Apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Now that the outrage has been satisified, Micheal and Leo will keen to get back to business as usual. The media will soon move on to another story. It was interesting Micheal in his six-one interview was very keen to maintain the separation of politics and the Judiciary, hence why he could not possibly comment on whether Seamus should resign for his presence at the dinner, yet he does not seemingly mind that separation being brought into question by Seamus attending dinners with politicians. Anyone who thinks there will be "slow burn reform" arising from this get together is being naive.

It was outrageous what happened though... And attending dinners with politicians has always happened and probably always will. It's not great but then its the govt that nominates justices and I doubt that will change either. The issue here is 2020 and the disastrous pandemic, not just the separation of powers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

It was outrageous what happened though... And attending dinners with politicians has always happened and probably always will. It's not great but then its the govt that nominates justices and I doubt that will change either. The issue here is 2020 and the disastrous pandemic, not just the separation of powers

What happens showed that the Irish establishment has no idea about the principles of separation of power or even those involving good corporate governance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

The Ceann Comhairle gave the Clifden Elite both barrels in the Dail today.
    Ceann Comhairle Seán Ó Fearghaíl has said everyone makes mistakes, but what happened at the Oireachtas Golfing Society in Clifden was the result of a "collective crass stupidity ... or arrogant delusion ... or both".

He said the event organised by the "self-styled" Oireachtas Golfing Society last month should never have happened.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0902/1162800-clifden-golf-dinner/

Strong words but well said.
    “Serious and indefensible breaches of public health regulations occurred on 19 August in Clifden… The event and the circumstances which flowed from it have damaged public confidence in our public system, and confidence was not high at the best of times. Confidence in this Dáil has been damaged. As we gather today, it is incumbent upon us to collectively commit to working together to rebuild confidence in our parliamentary system.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement