Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Agriculture attends 81-person golf event in breach of health guidelines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

appledrop wrote: »
    There is leaks that Kildare may have to continue on with lockdown.

If that happens after these idiots at their dinner dance there will be uproar.

And this is the danger, would they change or override NPHET guidance now just to help the optics on this cluster ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Phil Hogan and Sean O'Rourke were there.

I cant wait to see the whole list.

Dustin the turkey

Bono

Pat mustard

Trap

Conor mcgregor

It’s some list in fairness ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If Phil Hogan came in from Belgium without quarantining it will be pure gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Who would Hogan have to answer to if he's broken quarantine rules?

No one.
    Will be a non story on the continent.

It's a huge story here and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Would be interesting to know was there a garda presence in the hotel, providing security for ministers etc

Did they think the event was perfectly acceptable or turn a blind eye maybe?

Even if there were Gardai present, we all know that they'd just be there as glorified bouncers for the occasion. Not their fault. Can you imagine what would happen to them when their Super got a late night call from some senior minister.

The political system in this country bears more than a passing resemblance to the untouchability of the old Soviet politburo or other such systems we in the democratic West like to look down on.

I wonder was clifden specifically picked to be far far away from the dublin media ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

If Phil Hogan came in from Belgium without quarantining it will be pure gold.
    Sure didn't some FF MEP breeze over from brussels to see his friend be elected Taoiseach a few weeks ago.
    It's water off the backs of these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Stupid hypocritical prick.
    That is all that can be said really.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Even if there were Gardai present, we all know that they'd just be there as glorified bouncers for the occasion. Not their fault. Can you imagine what would happen to them when their Super got a late night call from some senior minister.

The political system in this country bears more than a passing resemblance to the untouchability of the old Soviet politburo or other such systems we in the democratic West like to look down on.

That’s probably true unfortunately

If guards were present they were probably kicking their heels in the hotel lobby sipping tea out of paper cups while the party carried on in the function room

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

This is a sensational story and it will lead to the collapse of compliance.

The house parties are back on this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    No one.
    Will be a non story on the continent.

It's a huge story here and rightly so.

But will it be not a big story in Brussels. Do Belgium have quarantine rules and has he broke them.

The absolute pointlessness of the event speaks of the arrogance this lot have for the rules. It wasn't a funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So is it six serving oireachtas members ? I know there were ex oireachtas members there and they were as bad but they can't suffer electoral pain. It seems the hotel is question is saying it didn't break the rules that were in place prior to last Tuesday(which apparently aren't in force yet) which may be technically true but come on they knew the score when they were at the event. A minster should resign as a minister and the others probably won't resign but I got the impression this won't help them next time out in an election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

I wonder was clifden specifically picked to be far far away from the dublin media ???

Wouldn't think so, this event would probably have been booked the guts of a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

The absolute pointlessness of the event speaks of the arrogance this lot have for the rules. It wasn't a funeral.

I think that's whats going to annoy most people. It was something that could so easily have been postponed for a few months.

But will it be not a big story in Brussels. Do Belgium have quarantine rules and has he broke them.

Is he in Brussels today? Tbh he's an odious ****. It would be a fitting way for him to bow out with his arrogance getting him in the end.

FFG have a new Galway tent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

An avalanche of apologetic tweets are coming forth tonight.

Agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

This is a sensational story and it will lead to the collapse of compliance.

The house parties are back on this weekend.

You really couldn’t make it up - government limits indoor gatherings to 6. 24 hrs later minister attends function of 81 people, even if you accept the split room bollox (which I don’t - same waiting staff means same risk of contamination) it’s still unnecessary.

The Taoiseach is said to be "furious" with Calleary.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

An avalanche of apologetic tweets are coming forth tonight.

Bit late for that and the fact theyre only sorry for getting caught even though I don't know how they expected to get away with it I'll never know. Absolute eijits.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

I think that's whats going to annoy most people. It was something that could so easily have been postponed for a few months.

Indeed. Friends who live on the Laois/Carlow border had a wedding planned for the first day of 3 county lockdown.

Church in Laois, hotel in Carlow guests from Laois couldn’t go to hotel. Guests from Carlow couldn’t go to church. Wedding cancelled at 12 hours notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Wash your hands, social distance and wear a mask when social distancing is not possible, and if any Garda or politician prevents you doing what you’re doing tell them to ffffffff******k offfff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

gmisk wrote: »
    I think they are probably happy enough to sit on the sidelines while the rest of them make an absolute hames of things.
    Leo Varadkar seems to be doing something similar to a lesser degree.... probably a good choice not appearing at that last press conference in fairness

Leo and Mary-Lou are playing the same game and probably a smart one at that. Keep out of the way, let FF make a complete bo***cks of proceedings, sideline themselves and make it a 2-horse race between alternative governments next election between Mary-Lou on the left and Varadkar on the right. That's why Varadkar was throwing shapes online with more outwardly conservative rhetoric than maybe we are used to here the other week (or maybe it was the other day - it's like bloody groundhog day since all this started!).

This government may well be the last roar of a dying wolf for FF, but this event shows that many of them haven't copped onto that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭appledrop

I think this is the biggest kick in teeth out of everything. A huge amount of families have lost loved ones during the last few months not just to Covid but to other circumstances.

No one has been able to give their loved ones the send off they deserve + at height of it some families were not even permitted 10 people in church it was straight from funeral home to graveyard.

Yet here are 80+ people at what can only be described as a dinner dance to celebrate golf club + member who died 2 years ago?

An absolute s**t show + a disgrace.

The Taoiseach is said to be "furious" with Calleary.

He absolutely knew that Dara was going to speak at an event for the late Mark Killilea, a famous FF politician.

100% Martin knew it. 100%.

He needs to be asked though... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

He absolutely knew that Dara was going to speak at an event for the late Mark Killilea, a famous FF politician.

100% Martin knew it. 100%.

He needs to be asked though... ;)

It's difficult to see how he wouldn't know about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Leo and Mary-Lou are playing the same game and probably a smart one at that. Keep out of the way, let FF make a complete bo***cks of proceedings, sideline themselves and make it a 2-horse race between alternative governments next election between Mary-Lou on the left and Varadkar on the right. That's why Varadkar was throwing shapes online with more outwardly conservative rhetoric than maybe we are used to here the other week (or maybe it was the other day - it's like bloody groundhog day since all this started!).

This government may well be the last roar of a dying wolf for FF, but this event shows that many of them haven't copped onto that yet.

Good analysis, and I think it’s heading that way.

Quite healthy I think. I saw a good piece on bbc tv tonight about tenants & landlords etc A balanced overall view reviewing difficulties faced by tenants who can’t pay rents (and tenants who won’t pay rents) and landlords.

Bit different from the narrative here - all tenants saints and all landlords utter bastards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement