Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Agriculture attends 81-person golf event in breach of health guidelines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

He’s going to be on Newstalk after 7

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Jimi H wrote: »
    He’s going to be on Newstalk after 7

I couldn't think of a bigger waste of time than listening to him and Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

Do as I say, not as I do.

That about sums it up.
    If anyone felt like exploring this from other angles, one could question if the powers that be really believe Covid to be the the threat they say it is because really there are many examples of government, etc not taking a blind bit of notice of guidelines, etc.
    A questioning type might also wonder if this isn't some mad experiment to see how far they can push the plebs into following the rules, swallowing their lines and half truths whilst all the while carrying on as normal themselves.

Me, I just think it illustrates the universal truth of one rule for the government, one rule for the little people.
    They don't give a flying f*ck. Phil Hogan is the epitome of this attitude.

Can we come up with a better term for this than golfgate.

It lacks originality To say the least at this stage that every political controversy gets the word gate at the end of it.

It’s nearly 30 years since watergate FFS.

Plus the government has to fire Calleary or don’t dare issue anybody in this country with another guideline again.

This is Michaels Dominic Cummins moment, will he go all Boris on it and stick two fingers up at the people????

Nearly 50.

Mehapoy wrote: »
    He's a Fianna Failer that was part of a government that bankrupt the country and bailed out developers by transferring the debt to the people, his first and only instinct would be to stick 2 fingers up to the people.

Twofingersgate? Flyingf*ckgate? F*theplebsgate? Oh, wait - no gate. What's the alternative? I've got it. TeeTime for Calleary. Mad Hatter's Tee Party, etc, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/taoiseach-furious-over-calleary-s-attendance-at-golf-event-1.4335287

A person staying at the hotel with his family told the Irish Times he saw no evidence of social distancing when he witnessed the attendees arriving.

“No masks. No distancing,” said the the witness who asked that his name not be used.

He said he had to push his kids through two Oireachtas members whom he recognised to try to get to the lift.

“My 11 year old who is Covid anxious was hugely upset. The hotel has been brilliant all week on all Covid aspects. This was a really strange event with all that in mind.

“At the reception people were being introduced to each other and shaking hands. No distancing and no masks. We were flabbergasted.”

Hotblack Desiato........... Anything to say for yourself? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Nearly 50.

calculatorgate.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

bryaj wrote: »
    How would I find out if any tax payers money has been used to support this Golf Society in any form, like use of Dail stationary, pens no matter how small etc. Have any resources of the state been used to assist in running of this event or getting people there in the form of state cars etc etc.
    This should become a witch hunt.
    Fcuk them, they have given us the people of ireland the fi gers and should pay accordingly.

FOI request to the Oireachtas is the way, seeking records on amount spent under all headings you have listed.

Although I'd suspect the requests are already flying in. I wonder how many similar events have been held to date that didn't get leaked.

Fair play to the Examiner on this story and the journalist involved, sorry I don't have their name to hand. We are very quick to condemn the press but this story demonstrates the importance of genuine journalism and how we should continue to support it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Áine Brady..... an ex FF TD from not so long ago.

Is she still a resident of Celbridge Co Kildare?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Áine Brady..... an ex FF TD from not so long ago.

Is she still a resident of Celbridge Co Kildare?

You mean the former Minister with special responsibilities for Older People and Health promotion........

Not sure, but a lot of tweets saying her Husband (also ex-FF TD) and she are living in Clane, Co Kildare

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%81ine_Brady

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭893bet

Sack him. If politicians are held accountable for their actions they may actually consider their actions.

Tis only the start I hope because many of us are aware of our elected representatives flouting the guidelines left, right and centre throughout. I don't necessarily support all the guidelines but we're all expected to follow them.
    It's farcical. Animal Farm stuff. Some of us are more equal than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

He's just pulled out of an agreed appearance on Morning ireland, not looking good for him.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    He's just pulled out of an agreed appearance on Morning ireland, not looking good for him.

Yeah was listening, I think he's toast, but it shouldn't end there.

Edit - he's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

Newstalk saying they believe he's about to resign

Edit: Talking like it's a done deal, already doing his political obituary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

He's going to resign. Just announced on Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

Just said on Newstalk that it’s believed he’s resigning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Dempo1 wrote: »

He’s gone in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

He had resigned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Will Big Phil follow?

McMurphy wrote: »
    Yeah was listening, I think he's toast, but it shouldn't end there.

I see that appalling, Odious, horrendous Phil Hogam was in attendance, of course no one will lecture or reprimand him, god, just the thought of him has turned my cereal al milk sour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Will Big Phil follow?

Awful arrogant man. Hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭embraer170

A few people have compared this to the Cummings story. All Dominic Cummings did was go to his holiday home in the countryside, visit his parents and do a few scenic drives.

Here we have some rather prominent individuals doing a multi-day golf event followed by an 80 person indoor dinner just days after new restrictions are announced.

Did they seriously think they would get away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

As a person I feel sorry for him, none of us are infallible, but as an elected senior TD, he has no choice. Lack of judgement is just not something that augers well for someone in a leadership role of the country.

So who’s next for minister for agro?
    We’ve had BC DC maybe JOC next?

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Will Big Phil follow?

Hell will freeze over as well as my water pipes before that buffoon resigns or takes any responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

It will be a brave politician will take agriculture now, not that either resignation was to do with the portfolio.

Ok he has done the only right thing at least.

Now, what about that judge that was there? He’s the one that would look down his nose at you or I.

Phil Hogan who is looking for a cushy job with WTO.

The senators who all received travel expenses when the entire country was on lockdown.

Who else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Good to see. He has done the right thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Dampsquid wrote: »
    Tomorrow could be like an episode of Game of Thrones

I would imagine the night in question was more like a scene from Rita, sue and Bob too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement