Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Agriculture attends 81-person golf event in breach of health guidelines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Government are clearly very concerned about this. There's none of the usual attempts to power through it or wait for it all to blow over, MM and LV are throwing everyone under the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Does Phil Hogan really expect people to believe him when he says he self-isolated?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

The judge's statement said he didn't know there would be a dinner. Are we expected to believe that?

So, why didn't he walk out when he saw the numbers there? Wasn't he involved in drawing up the legislation?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,480 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Hogan has several properties it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 brwh11

scrumqueen wrote: »
    I have an irrational deep dislike for Hogan. Hope he gets the boot but I just cant see it happening.

i would say its quite rational

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Yes, but he should be severely criticized for his actions..........not a word from Leo..

I mean sure, a few words but isn't that the problem, we don't want words, these guys are full of words only action is sufficient. I stopped listening to politicians a long time ago, it's was they do that counts and what they did here should mean that we never see any of them respresent the public again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Government are clearly very concerned about this. There's none of the usual attempts to power through it or wait for it all to blow over, MM and LV are throwing everyone under the bus.

They know this is make or break.
    Either everyone that was in attendance at that gathering is sacked or resigns or every single individual in the country that was obeying the rules and abiding by them says " Fcuk it why would did I bother?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

The reality is that the politicians know that the risk of contracting or getting sick from the virus is extremely, extremely low so decided to attend anyway. They weighed up the risks versus having a good time and decided to attend. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I haven't listened to Talk radio since the recession, 2009.
    It led to feelings of anger and impotence and was not good for ones mental health.
    Listening to the radio now and its brought all that back to the fore.
    Its really making me so angry that I am finding it hard to type.

Aye, if only we had someone of the moral integrity of C J Haughey in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its too serious a matter for the usual messing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

brwh11 wrote: »
    i would say its quite rational

Thanks!:pac:
    He just has a face I want to punch. He embodies everything one hates about politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Nó, Simon Harris is a good lad and knows his place. Would be unprofessional of him to outshine party leader and Tánaiste. If only more TDs knew their place.

Leo and Simon's comments were coordinated to coincide with Regina Doherty's appearance on Sarah McInerney's show this morning.

Neither had said anything until this morning. It's more spin and damage limitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

I don't think he or mm has the power to remove Hogan from his commissioner role.

The only ministers present appear to be FF. A couple of FG senators, who had whip removed, what more can leo do?

The Irish people have no say in what happens to Phil Hogan.
    It seems the EU back his story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Good to see Leo taking swift action and removing the whip from the three offending FG senators. Sends a strong message that FG doesn't stand for this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

CJhaughey wrote: »
    They know this is make or break.
    Either everyone that was in attendance at that gathering is sacked or resigns or every single individual in the country that was obeying the rules and abiding by them says " Fcuk it why would did I bother?"

They've angered everyone down to the apathetic (I'm in the know, I am one), ball is well and truly burst now.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bryaj

Can we get a location for P Hogan to put picket on house, not good enough, i am from Kildare and if we are further locked down there will be hell to play for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

bryaj wrote: »
    Can we get a location for P Hogan to put picket on house, not good enough, i am from Kildare and if we are further locked down there will be hell to play for.

Sorry did you say picket or Brick it? I'm game for the latter, can't leave the county so might as well get some exercise in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Comerman wrote: »
    My brother was diagnosed with cancer at the start of the covid ****e, we couldn't go see him in the hospital. He was sent home with no hope of recovery and we were told we cannot travel to see him (I'm 10 minutes from his house) Ma (85) is 20 minutes away, he died after 3 months and only 10 were allowed in the church, we couldn't walk behind the hearse and these pricks think it's grand to go party an celebrate 50 years of a ****in golf society after telling us we can't celebrate our brothers/sons 62 years of life. ****

That's brutal. Sorry for your loss. Losing someone close is hard enough, but not being able to give them a proper send off must be terribly painful. I can only imagine the anger and bitterness people, who have been through this, feel when they hear about politicans doing these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,480 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

No doubt the TDs don't want the Dail to be reconvened.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Matt Cooper tweeted that Hogan was seen in the K club two weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Good to see Leo taking swift action and removing the whip from the three offending FG senators. Sends a strong message that FG doesn't stand for this sort of thing.

Sends no message, a fairly light slap on the wrist.

brooke 2 wrote: »
    So, why didn't he walk out when he saw the numbers there? Wasn't he involved in drawing up the legislation?? :rolleyes:

He's either a liar or he's thick as sh1t......... https://www.thejournal.ie/seamus-woulfe-apology-clifen-golf-dinner-5181845-Aug2020/

A fooking disgrace that he can continue to work as a judge........... how the fook did he reckon the event was going to comply with the limit to six people, he knew it wasn't a museum, cinema, art gallery or wedding that he was attending.......... fooking disgrace.

Judges are largely a huge part of the problem in Ireland with their suspended sentences and participation in the free legal aid gravy train.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Leo and Simon's comments were coordinated to coincide with Regina Doherty's appearance on Sarah McInerney's show this morning.

Neither had said anything until this morning. It's more spin and damage limitation.

Are we to condemn them for be skilled now?

They are not the culprits here and they should take advantage of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

flynnlives wrote: »
    Matt Cooper tweeted that Hogan was seen in the K club two weeks ago.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Any idea what party P. Hogan is from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

This thread is destroying my blood pressure, honestly when you read what people have been through not being allowed to see dying relatives. And this crowd of utter scumbags, so overpaid, so secure in their future retirements, just living the life. A coup d’etat is needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I never knew that golf was so unpopular with communists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Where oh where is Mehole???????
    Not a word from him. Taoiseach mehole

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

The reality is that the politicians know that the risk of contracting or getting sick from the virus is extremely, extremely low so decided to attend anyway. They weighed up the risks versus having a good time and decided to attend. Simple.

How does the virus know they are politicians and want to have a good time. Using the same logic they should be telling the population that the risk is low so go on about your business especially if you want to have a good time. But stay away from funerals - bad time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Why is Seamus Wolfe being described as the former Attorney General where, far more worryingly, he is a Supreme Court Judge as we speak? Sure he's not fit for that office.

Judgement??

Jaysus.

Edit https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/government-appoint-former-attorney-general-to-supreme-court-three-weeks-after-he-was-replaced-at-cabinet-39371407.html
    Government appoint former Attorney General to Supreme court three weeks after he was replaced at cabinet
    Séamus Woulfe. Picture: Collins
    Séamus Woulfe. Picture: Collins
    Philip Ryan and Hugh O'Connell
    July 15 2020 09:29 PM
    The Government has appointed former Attorney General Seamus Woulfe to the Supreme Court less than three weeks after he was replaced at Cabinet.

Mr Woulfe, who is a long-time Fine Gael member and barrister, was appointed to Cabinet by Leo Varadkar when he was elected Taoiseach.

A Supreme Court judge's salary is €223,597.

Yesterday, newly elected Taoiseach Micheal Martin defended the appointment and insisted it was made independent of the new government .

Mr Martin said a recommendation was made to the Cabinet by the Judicial Appointments Advisory Board (JAAB).

“A judicial appointment board appointment is that, I can't interfere in that nor would I attempt to,” the Taoiseach said.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement