Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Agriculture attends 81-person golf event in breach of health guidelines

Options

Comments

mick087 wrote: »
    The Irish people have no say in what happens to Phil Hogan.
    It seems the EU back his story

Where’s the eu statement backing him?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Where’s the eu statement backing him?

I heard it read out on the radio a few minutes ago, I’ll look online

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

This really is the government that keeps on giving.

I voted for my local FF rep in the last election because I know him and he's a very good representative in the community. It was a hard decision and I told him the vote was for him and not his party. If we go to the polls again, I'm not sure I can do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Any idea what party P. Hogan is from
    My understanding is that "removing the whip" only applies to sitting TDs and Senators.

Permanent expulsion from the party is a higher penalty and not something they'd do without a proper meeting of party leadership.

Neither of these measures actually eject the individual from their position. Phil Hogan cannot be fired by the Taoiseach, afaik only the EU President can step him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

So seems like phil hogan was indeed in Kildare....it was locked down and he shouldn't have left it surely?
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1296773519112654850?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

The resignations are nothing but symbolic gestures. This entire government needs to be sacked. All out protests on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭josip

Spot the odd headline out on RTE.

yBptXYv.png

He is such an arrogant ...
    I'm ashamed to say I gave him a #2 vote back in 89.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

seamus wrote: »
    My understanding is that "removing the whip" only applies to sitting TDs and Senators.

Permanent expulsion from the party is a higher penalty and not something they'd do without a proper meeting of party leadership.

Neither of these measures actually eject the individual from their position. Phil Hogan cannot be fired by the Taoiseach, afaik only the EU President can step him down.

Correct on removing the whip.

There is absolutely nothing stopping Varadkar though on calling on Hogan to consider his position.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

Hogan will probably blame the entire county of Kildare next

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The_Brood wrote: »
    The resignations are nothing but symbolic gestures. This entire government needs to be sacked. All out protests on Saturday.
    Bit of an overreaction.

Give them a bit of time to work this out rather than putting everyone at risk with a protest.

Could Meehaul be going down as the shortest serving Taoiseach in history?

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »

yBptXYv.png

They were crazy times to be fair sure just look at the haircuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

No doubt the TDs don't want the Dail to be reconvened.

But what would a recall actually achieve apart from producing reams of competitive outrage from the opposition. ( I could see Alan Kelly spontaneously combusting ! )
    A statement from the Taoiseach ( and possibly LV and ER) followed by a press conference would do more to calm the atmosphere - fanning the flames of hysteria won't do the country any good. Cool heads will win the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

josip wrote: »

yBptXYv.png

An entitled cűnt, bully and everything that is wrong with the mindset of our "betters".

boardise wrote: »
    But what would a recall actually achieve apart from producing reams of competitive outrage from the opposition. ( I could see Alan Kelly spontaneously combusting ! )
    A statement from the Taoiseach ( and possibly LV and ER) followed by a press conference would do more to calm the atmosphere - fanning the flames of hysteria won't do the country any good. Cool heads will win the day.
    Alan Kelly spontaneously combusting you say....
    They should definitely recall the dail!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

Hogan has several properties it would seem.

So have many people . It's still allowed I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Has big Phil got some dodgy videos or pictures of party colleagues, given that no one wants to speak out and say he was wrong and is an arrogant pr1ck?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    They know this is make or break.
    Either everyone that was in attendance at that gathering is sacked or resigns or every single individual in the country that was obeying the rules and abiding by them says " Fcuk it why would did I bother?"

I'd be quite happy to see them all fired, also whoever facilitated the event, but this idea that everyone should say feck the covid restrictions is just childish.
    Whatever measures we took over the last few months should have been based on information, judgment and common sense. Not because a politician told us to do it.
    It seems many people went too far sticking to the letter of the restrictions and they feel foolish now.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Berlin Bar...Feck Covid

FFG...Hold our golf clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Sure, why bother having it at all so?

A mealy mouthed script from FFG will be nothing to quench these flames. Every person there who holds public office should resign immediately. Of course, being Ireland that's exactly what won't happen. But what it will do is shine a massive spotlight on MM. He said there was no confusion over the new restrictions. Now some who attended said they weren't sure. Someone is going to have to carry the can for this and it's not looking good for MM. If the remaining public representatives who attended don't resign the. MM position is almost untenable. They've lost the public support now and only action will get it back, not words.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

From Ming...this made me LOL

Simon is so winded from the "kick in the gut" that he can't speak anymore. #golfgate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Very simple for Hogan to bring total clarity to this:

- When did he return to Ireland
    - Where did he quarantine/self-isolate
    - From/To what dates did he quarantine/self-isolate
    - Has he spent any time in Kildare (other than driving through) since the Kildare lockdown was introduced.

The answer to those simple questions would bring significant clarity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

Ef8YvdwWkAADezm?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 17,072 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Sean O Rourkes attendance at this also goes to show the cozy relationship between the houses of the Oireachtas, the judiciary and the media that should be keeping them in check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

There is no "hysteria". People are sick of these chances and want heads to roll.

We are far far to passive a people here in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I look on this as an opportunity for the Gov to actually lead at last.

They will see and hear the anger of the peasants who conformed to very strict and often sad rules. Whatever about sackings, I doubt any of the arrogant shower will step out of line going forward.

A knee jerk reaction by us peasants by breaking the rules helps no one, as the Gov has found out.

I detest the lot of them, I'm fed up along with everyone else, but it seems like a game to most of them. The peasants are on their case now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MFPM

BPKS wrote: »
    Sean O Rourkes attendance at this also goes to show the cozy relationship between the houses of the Oireachtas, the judiciary and the media that should be keeping them in check.

Yeah, this point hasn't been referenced enough in this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I'd be quite happy to see them all fired, also whoever facilitated the event, but this idea that everyone should say feck the covid restrictions is just childish.
    Whatever measures we took over the last few months should have been based on information, judgment and common sense. Not because a politician told us to do it.
    It seems many people went too far sticking to the letter of the restrictions and they feel foolish now.

Au contraire, politicians passed legislation and published strict guidelines, while also giving Garda powers they've never had before. People were forced to close businesses, cancel weddings, bury relatives in ways that we would never normally do, and all the other limitations they have put on our lives. Is it too much to ask that the very ones supposed to be leading the country abide by the very rules they brought in?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,480 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Martin needs to call on those involved to resign, including the judge and Hogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,052 ✭✭✭endainoz

This scandal will grow and grow, there are plenty of heartbreaking stories of people who couldn't attend funerals due to restrictions earlier in the year, (as sadly mentioned by a poster here).

These prícks decide it's ok to ignore guidelines, and what it really does is completely undermine the already confusing guidelines given on Tuesday. MM throwing the Dublin pub under the bus, yet saying nothing about meat factories. Literally 24 hours later they get completely disregarded.

Hard to see anybody taking them seriously now.

Another point worth noting here: I don't think those who knew about it and didn't attend are completely without blame here. Surely all TDs (perhaps opposition included) knew of this event happening whether they attended or not. It was an oireactas golf society, hardly a secret dinner.

At the very least senior party members knew about it, but yet condemn it now that it's public knowledge. Did anyone object to it before this? I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I'm blown away by the high regard that this person for whom the event was organised, is held.
    Who was the dinner for? I genuinely have no idea but whoever it was must have delivered a lot of favours over the years or something because men who decided they absolutely had to be there are now dropping like flies from their jobs. Mad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement