Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Agriculture attends 81-person golf event in breach of health guidelines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

Grilling? Lol. Eh no he didn't.

Oh yes he did ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Are you really that naive? This is what politicians live for, have you never heard the political expression "never waste a crisis" ?

The simple facts are that people are not getting sick from this virus, so why do we need these restrictions?
    Politicians love this type of thing because it gives them an opportunity to implement policies that they will ultimately benefit from.

Such as?

Have you examples of such policies that they are standing to benefit from, or is this just a hunch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

I know Gavin has been previously but he's on holidays atm (tweeting etc while on holiday lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

The gobsh1te who, when wished "bon appétit" at the start of a meal in Brussels was reputed to have responded "Mark Killilea, how do you do."

Hope he didn't feed the gondolas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

GBX wrote: »
    Hogan apparently staying in Kildare for the past few weeks. So not only ignoring rules on gathering numbers but also ignoring Kildare lockdown rules. Unreal.
    Cheensbo wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1296773519112654850

Plenty of Kildare folk have cancelled holidays, events, lost businesses & stayed away from loved ones.

And all for what?

Uh-oh.
    Come on journalists with integrity - SHINE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Might have to wheel the great Bertie out of retirement...A popular and uniting influence...A lot done, more (damage) to do
    Even FF don't want him hanging around them anymore.

Of course he would be sitting pretty in a cushy EU post if he hadn't feared for his reputation and jumped ship.

BIFFO has his snout in the trough now and Bertie is out in the cold with his dead dreams of the 'Bertie Bowl'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Does anyone believe Phil Hogan actually quarantined for 14 days on his return from Brussels? I dont believe the arrogance of Phil Hogan would allow him to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The country has lost it.

The approach to COVID in recent months is biting back now.

We need to wake up and start living.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Even FF don't want him hanging around them anymore.

Of course he would be sitting pretty in a cushy EU post if he hadn't feared for his reputation and jumped ship.

BIFFO has his snout in the trough now and Bertie is out in the cold with his dead dreams of the 'Bertie Bowl'.

Wouldn't say Biffo is up to much at all. He's been in hospital for some time and only recently out for his mothers funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,014 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Does anyone believe Phil Hogan actually quarantined for 14 days on his return from Brussels? I dont believe the arrogance of Phil Hogan would allow him to do that.

He was supposedly quarantined in Kildare too and as such shouldn’t have left that county as it’s in lockdown. So he has dug himself a bigger hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    That will be the one thing that will do for him if some good investigative reporter does their job.
    He already has the EU saying he complied fully with 14 day isolation - maybe he did, maybe he didn't...

How do the EU know where he was once he landed in Ireland?
    How can they purport to know this with any confidence??

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think slippery Phil will get out of this one. He'll come up with some excuse like, "I was invited to the dinner as a guest of honour in my role as EU commissioner, not as a member of the golf society. Therefore, my attendance at the dinner was in an official business capacity. As such, I believe I have complied fully with all of the government restrictions to the best of my knowledge".

Off to Brussels again then, keep the head down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Get Trump in.

NOW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Just hearing Brian Hayes was there also. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Where’s the eu statement backing him?

Not seen it yet.

I was stating what another another poster had said.

Lets hope the EU see sense over the matter.

The Irish people and apparently the Irish goverment are powerless.
    This is the danger of having someone unelected in such a position.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

The country has lost it.

The approach to COVID in recent months is biting back now.

We need to wake up and start living.

Agreed, the stupid rules in place are the problem,
    and in some way, most of us are breaking the rules.
    Do we have to resign, not a chance.
    Perspective please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

The gobsh1te who, when wished "bon appétit" at the start of a meal in Brussels was reputed to have responded "Mark Killilea, how do you do."

I am from Galway and knew Markeen socially. I could tell you stories but I wont speak ill of the dead. I even talked to him in the FF tent one year. Long story!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

seamus wrote: »
    I think slippery Phil will get out of this one. He'll come up with some excuse like, "I was invited to the dinner as a guest of honour in my role as EU commissioner, not as a member of the golf society. Therefore, my attendance at the dinner was in an official business capacity. As such, I believe I have complied fully with all of the government restrictions to the best of my knowledge".

Off to Brussels again then, keep the head down.

Don’t be giving him ideas...:(:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Just hearing Brian Hayes was there also. Good luck.

Yes. Brian represents the Bankers now.

It’s not actually it’s quite reasonable. Stink of 2008 we’re all in this together off of this.

"We all partied" vibes:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I suspect Hogan is going to be in the crosshairs. Significant that Leo had nothing to say about Hogan's attendance.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/taoiseach-micheal-martin-removes-fianna-fail-whip-from-three-senators-over-golf-dinner-39467242.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

You would think the politicians would be taking more precautions.
    The average Irish politician is
    -Overweight
    -Over the hill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Such as?

Have you examples of such policies that they are standing to benefit from, or is this just a hunch?

Committees will be formed, quangos will be setup, salaries will be increased, massive loans from the EU - this is nothing new in politics.

Tell me this, why is it that we have these restrictions when almost nobody is dying or getting sick from this virus?

Surprised no photos have come out yet on social media be it from staff or other guests. Everyone has a camera on their phone these days and everyone has a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Muahahaha wrote: »

Yes I believe the EU will believe him and id say the EU will believe he acted correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Is it possible that the Indo and Irish Times didn't know about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 56,356 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Surprised no photos have come out yet on social media be it from staff or other guests. Everyone has a camera on their phone these days and everyone has a phone.

Yeh,

And don’t forget fooking everyone wants their 15 mins of likes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Tell me this, why is it that we have these restrictions when almost nobody is dying or getting sick from this virus?

The number of people dying or getting sick from the virus is low BECAUSE of the restrictions.

If someone at the gathering tests positive for the virus in the next week or so it will get more serious again.

• Advertisement

jojofizzio wrote: »
    How do the EU know where he was once he landed in Ireland?
    How can they purport to know this with any confidence??
    "A spokeswoman for the European Commission told Reuters that Hogan attended the event “in good faith”.

As I said, if this is untrue (they basically repeated what he said and took it at face value) that is what will do him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement