Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Agriculture attends 81-person golf event in breach of health guidelines

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

99% of us haven't had it yet. That's why your not seeing dead people.

Why would 99% of us need to get it, Did 99% of people need to get sars, bird, swine flu and other viruses that have circulated the globe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,052 ✭✭✭endainoz

Herd immunity has already been achieved. Look at other countries and the results are almost identical irrespective of restrictions. This virus has moved on.

Ok now your just spouting rubbish, not worth arguing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

What wild sweeping claims are you referring to? It's a statement of fact that almost nobody is getting sick or dying from this virus.

You mean apart from the 61757 people globally in serious/critical condition and the 798013 people who have already died.
    Of course these numbers are grossly underestimated as some countries don’t have the infrastructure to classify the affected cases.

But yeah your totally right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Even I wouldn't take the lift in a hotel, and I'm a bit of a covid sceptic.

You don't think that's a bit over the top?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

To put it simply, if almost nobody has the virus, and almost nobody is getting sick and or dying that suggests that the virus is not that deadly.

Almost nobody has it
    Almost nobody is getting sick
    Almost nobody is dying

Why do we have these restrictions???

In order to maintain

Almost nobody having it
    Almost nobody getting sick
    Almost nobody dying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Why would 99% of us need to get it, Did 99% of people need to get sars, bird, swine flu and other viruses that have circulated the globe.

Herd immunity occurs at approx 70%.
    We are nowhere near that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This is where I think the Tories & Cummings have got it right. Their attitude is:-

"Fcuk the lot of you and so what if there a few indiscretions here and there. What are you going to do about it?"

Ignore all the noise from the chattering classes because that is all this is ultimately. A lot of noise.

This will all be forgotten about this time next week. Move on to the next "furious" key board slamming outrage.

So there's nothing wrong with a group of politicians and their hangers-on ignoring the rules and regulations they and their colleagues have insisted the rest of us must live by? (under threat of prosecution in some cases)

There's nothing wrong with some of them trying to brazen their way out of it when they've been caught?

Y'know where the "noise" is.. posts like the above trying to deflect from the issue and the predictable and completely childish insults - all you missed was a "Shinner" or a "Commie" reference :rolleyes:

Well I'm neither and I for one am sick of the cozy and incestuous club between the main parties, judiciary and the media that makes up the establishment in this country. Given recent election results it seems your hope that these things are soon forgotten is wrong too - the public/coverage may move on to the next scandal alright (as if that's a good thing!) but there's a growing anger and refusal to be treated like fools among the public that is being reflected in those results.

Let's see how you feel when we end up with unstable and ineffective Governments that last a year or two as a regular occurrence because the main parties refuse to deal with this rot within their own ranks and in public life generally.

endainoz wrote: »
    It's changed from nobody to "almost" nobody. Sounds a bit like Donnie when he said "practically zero".

Do you really want it spelt out for you? We have had very few deaths because cases were down, and things were under relative control. We do not have a health system to cope with a massive outbreak. Acting early in March saved many lives, we could have easily had a situation similar to Italy's had we not acted.

Here's a crazy stat for you: when cases go up, so will deaths. Shocking, I know.

That's not true, cases have been gong up for weeks and we are not seeing the deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

That's just not true. The country has been open for weeks, people have been on staycation, going to the shops, standing in lines and still nobody is dying.

The data is in and the fact is that people are not getting sick from this virus anymore. It has moved through the community, taken the susceptible and now that the majority of the population has been exposed has created community immunity.

Oh hello professor of immunology. Remind me where I can find your study on the Covid herd immunity population percentage. The first of it's kind seeing as no one else has figured this out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,052 ✭✭✭endainoz

That's not true, cases have been gong up for weeks and we are not seeing the deaths.

Gluck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

And the median age of infections has reduced. Since younger people are less likely to die as a result of contraction the mortality rate decreases.

Makes sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭josip

I don't.

We were in 3 different hotels last week, 1st and 2nd floor bedrooms.
    The only time we took the lift was with suitcases.
    Every other time took the stairs (and warned the kids not to touch the banister).

So you're stating your opinion then, and not fact?

Has the virus not been in circulation since last year?
    Have people not been circulating around the country on stacaytion?
    Have kids not been out playing on the streets with their friends?
    Were people not wear masks a few months ago?
    Have people not been going to pubs, clubs restaurants, work, etc etc

I could go on but why don't you tell me what would it take for me to convince you that the majority or "large portion", if you want to be semantic, of the population has been exposed? Let me guess a "peer reviewed" something something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I could go on but why don't you tell me what would it take for me to convince you that the majority or "large portion", if you want to be semantic, of the population has been exposed? Let me guess a "peer reviewed" something something.

Something from a reputable source other than a single anonymous individual on a discussion form. Not asking a lot surely.

Taking a hotel lift? Well it's a pretty enclosed space and who knows if the last person sneezed before you got in. Water droplets hanging in the air and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Denny61

To put it simply, if almost nobody has the virus, and almost nobody is getting sick and or dying that suggests that the virus is not that deadly.

Almost nobody has it
    Almost nobody is dying

Thats a simplistic way of looking at it .First of all half the population could have covid .and we would not know..cos *a" we are not testing those people and b..they could be asymptomatic and have it.and carrying on as if they are covid free..so that is why restrictions are necessary to avoid others getting it ...this virus even though you may have it and feel fine showing no symptoms will in a lot of people take its toll further down the road..as its in your system and starting to get to know your cell structure and all your organs in a not very nice way..

deisedevil wrote: »
    Oh hello professor of immunology. Remind me where I can find your study on the Covid herd immunity population percentage. The first of it's kind seeing as no one else has figured this out yet.

Alot of people have figured it out but your problem is that you just tune into what your told with little or no rational thinking for yourself. Many doctors, professors are calling out this BS.

You can start here. the UK National Statistic Office. I though the Uk was supposed to be in worse shape than us?

https://twitter.com/ONS/status/1296734763286515715?s=20

Almost nobody has it
    Almost nobody is dying

The deadliness of the virus would be determined by the amount of people who obtain the virus vs,. how many die from it.

By your understanding, the Ebola virus isn't very deadly.

Pesky peer reviewed research getting in the way of ill informed opinions again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Well i'll be having a few pints later in the local, with no food.
    Happy days and i'm sure there is hundreds of thousands like me in the country.
    Happy i'm not a hypocrite and calling for these people's heads like the others, who i'm sure are also breaking rules in a small way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

He knew he had to go or else MM would have said everything was fine this afternoon and fired him at 10 o’clock tonight.

It must have been some snoozefest with the crowd that was at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Don't forget the house parties that went on all over the country during the St Patrick's weekend and the Easter holiday after pubs were closed on March 12th.
    Are people so deluded that they think house parties are a recent development?

deisedevil wrote: »
    Pesky peer reviewed research getting in the way of ill informed opinions again.

Do you accept NPHET's daily figures or do you need those to be peer reviewed?

The deadliness of the virus would be determined by the amount of people who obtain the virus vs,. how many die from it.

By your understanding, the Ebola virus isn't very deadly.

Explain that again, a virus is only deadly if you don't die??? So a virus is only considered deadly by the number of people who catch it as opposed to die from it?

That makes no sense.

Alot of people have figured it out but your problem is that you just tune into what your told with little or no rational thinking for yourself. Many doctors, professors are calling out this BS.

You can start here. the UK National Statistic Office. I though the Uk was supposed to be in worse shape than us?

https://twitter.com/ONS/status/1296734763286515715?s=20

Are you not then just tuning into what your told?

As in, i've done a good bit of reading into it and the consensus is that no one is sure yet what the percentage of population for herd immunity. Did you see the experts on prime time from Ireland and Sweden agreeing on just that. So I'm tuning into what I'm told by the general consensus of the foremost experts on the matter. You've just fired up stats from the statistics office. Show me the proof that Ireland now has herd immunity. You can't, because you haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

So you're stating your opinion then, and not fact?

No doubt it's "common sense"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Peer review just validates the methodology of research not that the conclusion is right or wrong. We do know they use the very old ancient and well validated method of addition.

Explain that again, a virus is only deadly if you don't die??? So a virus is only considered deadly by the number of people who catch it as opposed to die from it?

That makes no sense.

That isn't what I said at all. :confused:

• Advertisement

You don't know what peer reviewed means.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement